Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I made an Electric/Shield Super Speed villain tonight (Robot House) to do lowbie stuff and just dicked around on it. I definitely want to play with him some more because the concept is fun. Also he's a robot with a shield for some reason.

The main characters I play though are Intern Lantern (hero, T1 right now) and Spaindex (villain, T1.5 right now) and would definitely be interested in some goon league action, especially to play the T2 (and soon 3) stuff with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Fuzz posted:

(Gina Torres sucks)

She's no longer Wonder Woman. As of Sons of Trigon there's a new VA and they rerecorded every one of the character's lines for consistency.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Fuzz posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPk5IUbdH0

He can be Electric Slide's brother. I demand a huge afro, though. Mutton chops and/or awesome 'stache are optional.

Too late, I already made it:

General idea is that the body was a sacrifice to house some otherworldly force or entity, an the 'lightning' is some sort of mystical 'fifth element' (why I wanted to go with Aether at first). She calls herself Receptacle. :gay:

Lightning, Super Speed, and Hand Blaster (fits conceptually and in group content as healer I'd want to be at range I'm guessing).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Syrg Sapphire posted:

She's no longer Wonder Woman. As of Sons of Trigon there's a new VA and they rerecorded every one of the character's lines for consistency.

Whoa, really? Who's the new VA?

WarLocke posted:

Too late, I already made it:

Lightning, Super Speed, and Hand Blaster (fits conceptually and in group content as healer I'd want to be at range I'm guessing).

The exact opposite. Lightning is the only powerset that actually benefits from you being right in the poo poo with melee, because Electrogenesis is one of your mainstay powers and it's a DoT that buffs you and the nearest ally (should generally be the tank) and any other allies in the fields get healed. It stacks with every other healing thing Electricity has, and with other powersets' DoTs, so it's basically the greatest poo poo ever.

Never not be in the middle of things with Electricity. If you're the main healer, everyone should stay in a clump and you and the tank should position so you can easily buff him/her and then cover everyone else.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I think they got the woman who did the VA for the Justice League cartoons? I don't recall her name.

quote:

The exact opposite. Lightning is the only powerset that actually benefits from you being right in the poo poo with melee

Hrmm, maybe I'll switch to Brawling then...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Fuzz posted:

I do not know, but I noticed it the other day running the T3 challenge she's in - the voice is DISTINCTLY not the same anymore. Circe's still on board though!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Hrmm, maybe I'll switch to Brawling then...

I had started with Shield on my Lightning guy, which was fun and badass looking, but honestly after switching to One Handed I probably would never use anything else... hits quite hard, looks badass, synergizes well with the passives at the bottom of the tree, and you're already right there in the poo poo. Thing is, I don't want your dumb rear end copying my guy! :colbert:

Really you can't go wrong with anything, as long as you enjoy it... hell, you could go staff and call it her Lightning Rod or something, who cares.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Thing is, I don't want your dumb rear end copying my guy! :colbert:

Don't worry, I remade her (real quick, since I had barely gotten out of the tutorial) as Brawling. One-Handed would have felt weird for this otherworldy energy-being in a host body to me. So now I just rationalize it as it having magical super strength. :neckbeard:

Gonna do the investigation/brief thing tomorrow and try to catch up to all you level 30 villains. :argh:

One thing I noticed though is that Monarch is the only good female model. Mesa has a tiny head and Sprite has a huge one, they both look 'off'.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, but you're a dumbo playing Hero side, so that sorta precludes you from grouping with like... 80% of us. Most of us already have pretty high level Villains, plus Villains get the best Mentors... Mark Hamill, James Marsters, AND Michelle Forbes? gently caress yeah. (Gina Torres sucks)

Gina Torres isn't the voice of Wonder Woman any more it's Susan Eisenberg as of August. Think they redubbed all the lines too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

None of this fixes having to listen to the ultimate boy scout, a lunatic with bat ears and yet somehow no sense of humor, and Wheels McOne Bad Day. Stuff 'em all. Our base is better, our faction leaders are better, and no one can say we don't like a challenge when we confront humanity's self-appointed god and his army of naive bedwetter toadies.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I don't see any reason to just pick one side. If you have a character on both then you're ready to jump in to any group.

I definitely like the villain content better, but the hero stuff is pretty cool too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastajake posted:

I don't see any reason to just pick one side. If you have a character on both then you're ready to jump in to any group.

I definitely like the villain content better, but the hero stuff is pretty cool too.

A solid 80-90% of the content is identical regardless of faction, to the point that villains go to instances to attack other villains.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

A solid 80-90% of the content is identical regardless of faction, to the point that villains go to instances to attack other villains.

Sounds like an argument for playing heroes then. :downs:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Sounds like an argument for playing heroes then. :downs:

Real talk, I cannot handle listening to Oracle for even 10 levels. They are finally working on segregated endgame content, too.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

They are finally working on segregated endgame content, too.

This is news to me. Can you exposit a bit?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

This is news to me. Can you exposit a bit?

Apparently the tier 5 is stuff different? I am CR 62 so I am not exactly there yet.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Anyone want to run any tier 2 babby stuff tomorrow? It'd be fun to play with someone other than randos. I won't be able to play too much tonight (like 10:30 - 12:00 cst) but tomorrow I'll be available from about 7-12 cst. Let me know, or just friend my characters (hero: Intern Lantern; villain: Spaindex). I'll be hanging out in the Goonsquad channel.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Apparently the tier 5 is stuff different? I am CR 62 so I am not exactly there yet.

Yeah, I wanna say from Origin Crisis on you get seperate events per side.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

Anyone want to run any tier 2 babby stuff tomorrow? It'd be fun to play with someone other than randos. I won't be able to play too much tonight (like 10:30 - 12:00 cst) but tomorrow I'll be available from about 7-12 cst. Let me know, or just friend my characters (hero: Intern Lantern; villain: Spaindex). I'll be hanging out in the Goonsquad channel.

There is no way I can get Receptacle to 30 and geared by tomorrow. :(

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Guess I'm re-installing, how's the Celestial powerset?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Trip report: I started Receptacle and haven't done a single mission past the tutorial. I've done all the basic & rookie races, grabbed every green and blue orb in metropolis, and have started doing the same for gotham - currently level 10. :science:

e: Not feeling super speed so far, it controls really unintuitively compared to flight...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 11, 2013

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Tier 2 is child's play :smug:

but yeah sure

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Trip report: I started Receptacle and haven't done a single mission past the tutorial. I've done all the basic & rookie races, grabbed every green and blue orb in metropolis, and have started doing the same for gotham - currently level 10. :science:

e: Not feeling super speed so far, it controls really unintuitively compared to flight...

Clearly you're not running up and jumping off enough skyscrapers...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Clearly you're not running up and jumping off enough skyscrapers...

Half the time if you end up flipping over a ledge and going upside down no matter what I press I just run in a random direction. Once it got 'stuck' and would only move in one direction until I toggled it off. It's just really funky.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Egghhh the best weapon in Blutkrieg's inventory is a shield but I really hate how the shield plays, I feel like if I'm not at range throwing it like a disc that there's just no rhythm or style to it. Staff is way more fun and easier to spam stuns with, and better for my Nazi sorcerer gimmick.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Egghhh the best weapon in Blutkrieg's inventory is a shield but I really hate how the shield plays, I feel like if I'm not at range throwing it like a disc that there's just no rhythm or style to it. Staff is way more fun and easier to spam stuns with, and better for my Nazi sorcerer gimmick.

I dunno, but I'll take that shield if it's tradable...

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Super Speed is my favorite one except for the races which I just can't seem to get the hang of, so I play on my next favorite one: flying.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We need to update/fix up the OP... no offense to Syrg Sapphire but the whole conversational style and attempts at being funny end up making it a slog for a newcomer to actually read through all that, plus the powers breakdown could be more thorough. Sadly, we're only 15 pages in on this thread and I think he's already vanished again, so I'm not sure how to remedy that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Fuzz posted:

We need to update/fix up the OP... no offense to Syrg Sapphire but the whole conversational style and attempts at being funny end up making it a slog for a newcomer to actually read through all that, plus the powers breakdown could be more thorough. Sadly, we're only 15 pages in on this thread and I think he's already vanished again, so I'm not sure how to remedy that.

I posted TODAY, rear end. I'm waiting for my check so I can buy Sons of Trigon and be more informed in the writeup on it.

That said, if you want me to go more thorough, 100% serious: point out what you want me to fill in or give a writeup on the stuff I haven't played. All my characters save my unloved villain alt are healers.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 11, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
His last post is literally 10 posts above yours.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

We need a thread to reach new readers, like Fuzz

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That'll learn me for posting from my phone. :doh:

I can write up a powers breakdown for each power, though someone else would have to write about Mental, Sorcery, and Nature, because I've never used those.

As for weapons, I've used basically all of them at this point though certain ones I use WAY more than others. Main thing is just formatting for readability and newbie-friendliness.

An explanation of all the endgame content would help, too, and the fact that 1-30 is basically the tutorial to show you how to play the game. Then a quick synopsis of what the gently caress all that poo poo in the On Duty Panel is, and how it all works... it can be pretty overwhelming to a new player and the OPs do nothing to help that. Just a simple thing about what the Challenges are, what Duos are, what Alerts are and how they differ from Raids, etc. Also a thing about how your Mentor choice just adds a flavor to what quests you do and what your final quest will be, it doesn't lock you out of much content at all and you won't totally miss out on certain items or gear or anything, just maybe a handful of quests at those level 4 and level 15ish breakpoints.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 11, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Fuzz posted:

That'll learn me for posting from my phone. :doh:

I can write up a powers breakdown for each power, though someone else would have to write about Mental, Sorcery, and Nature, because I've never used those.

You're in luck, I have a Sorc and Nature hero both. In fact that's kinda why Nature is the only one with any real content, it's my main.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

You're in luck, I have a Sorc and Nature hero both. In fact that's kinda why Nature is the only one with any real content, it's my main.

Cool, I can summarize the others, though I will say I don't have much experience with Earth or Quantum if someone wants to take a crack at those, too. Fire, Ice, Electricity, Light, and Gadgets I can write up easily, though. Celestial I mostly have a good idea of how it works after futzing with it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Here are some things I didn't know when I started that might be good to include. Probably because I'm am idiot. Must be in a manual or something:
-the function buttons (f1, f2, etc) duo something useful, though I don't remember what right now (you can obviously fill this in)

-Y accesses your On Duty tab, which I'd how you will find events. When the alerts open up go ahead and queue for them and just continue on normally until they open up.

-I accesses your Inventory, yes, but the other tabs will tell you the amount of marks of triumph you have (useful when you hit 30) and your combat readiness (cr, which doesn't matter till you hit 30)

-when you hit 30 you should grab the level 30 pvp armor from one of the vendors in the Hall of Doom or Watchtower. It's the only vendor that doesn't have a Marks of Triumph requirement

-next to them should be a vendor that sells a decent level 30 weapon that will last you until you get a lucky drip from a tier 2 mission

-dailies are missions that rotate every day and give you a bonus amount of marks. Other than that, on duty missions have weekly rewards and lesser daily rewards. They have a special mark by them

-as you gain marks, begin purchasing your tier 1 armor, which is usually near the other guy. It will be the only one that requires marks but doesn't have a cr requirement

-you get skill points for doing feats (hold escape button down to bring up the wheel and pick the top right option). These are extremely useful. Ideally you will have about 30 when you hit 30, and only 14-15 well come from leveling. Gather investigations, collect clothing styles, do races, etc.

-repair your poo poo after every mission. You do this at vendors

-chat channel is Goonsquad. Add it in your settings.

-If you get a promethium lockbox (and have legendary) wait until 30 to open it, because then it might have marks.

-you probably won't be able to solo the missions that open up on your journal when you hit 30. Maybe later

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

:siren::siren::siren: WE HAVE A MUMBLE SERVER NOW :siren::siren::siren:

Address: neckbeards.murmur.nfoservers.com
Port: 14150
Channel: DCUO - Punch Superman in the dick

Feel free to join up to arrange groups and crap, you're allowed to give out the info to others if you need to have pubs in your raid or whatever.

Server provided courtesy of VarrosAnon, who is a DC fan and hopefully will also play with us! Enjoy.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

:siren::siren::siren: WE HAVE A MUMBLE SERVER NOW :siren::siren::siren:

This is awesome news and I will be annoying you goons with my voice tonight. :neckbeard:

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
This may be a stupid question but does travel power choice matter all that much in the long run? Just wondering because I heard some random people talking about how super speed is pretty much the one you have to have at endgame or something like that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

kojicolnair posted:

This may be a stupid question but does travel power choice matter all that much in the long run? Just wondering because I heard some random people talking about how super speed is pretty much the one you have to have at endgame or something like that.

That specific claim is because one of Super Speed's powers is Speed Drain, a supercharge the regenerated the entire party's health and power. It used to be the 'best' movement mode because that was the only way to get that effect without being a dedicated controller.

However, a couple patches ago most powersets' group shielding power (usually a 50% supercharge that put shields on 4/8 characters) were all changed to ALSO regenerate power, so Speed Drain is no longer a 'must have'.

As for the actual movement powers, I find super speed (and to a lesser extent, acrobatics) to feel really klunky. Flight is just so much easier to use/more convenient IMO. But it really comes down to what works for you, I've had people swear up and down they love SS and it's the best but I just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

WarLocke posted:

That specific claim is because one of Super Speed's powers is Speed Drain, a supercharge the regenerated the entire party's health and power. It used to be the 'best' movement mode because that was the only way to get that effect without being a dedicated controller.

However, a couple patches ago most powersets' group shielding power (usually a 50% supercharge that put shields on 4/8 characters) were all changed to ALSO regenerate power, so Speed Drain is no longer a 'must have'.

As for the actual movement powers, I find super speed (and to a lesser extent, acrobatics) to feel really klunky. Flight is just so much easier to use/more convenient IMO. But it really comes down to what works for you, I've had people swear up and down they love SS and it's the best but I just don't get it.

Ahh ok yeah that power is what they were talking about. Thanks a lot for the info, I'll just stick with flight for most of my characters, I have more fun with it.

• Locked thread