Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

CottonWolf posted:

I agree with most of your other recommendations, but not Torment. I love P:T, but based on what trikker's looking for that's not the game to recommend. I find that you play Torment very much in spite of itself, and I definitely would not say that you're rewarded for understanding the mechanics of the game by any stretch. It's great, and it fulfils 2 and 3 brilliantly. But the parts where you play Torment are very much incidental to the main experience.

You're right, but only if you don't understand or aren't familiar with D&D mechanics. You'll have a shitload more fun if you understand how your stats affect your character's perception/journey and build your character around what you want to see.

If your plan is just "put 25 into strength and randomly click everything," then no, you're not going to get it. You get rewarded back what you put in, moreso with Planescape than most games.

trikker posted:

Though I'd be interested in some elaboration on how Dark Souls pays homage to western RPGs. Thematically for sure, but otherwise I'd say it's basically a modern LoZ with RPG elements added to balance out planning and execution. That the game can be beaten purely through skill in execution, and not purely through understanding the mechanics, speaks volumes.

Demon/Dark Souls are 3rd-person spiritual sequels to FROM Software's earlier games, the King's Field series. King's Field is a Japanese love letter to Ultima Underworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

trikker posted:

Though I'd be interested in some elaboration on how Dark Souls pays homage to western RPGs. Thematically for sure, but otherwise I'd say it's basically a modern LoZ with RPG elements added to balance out planning and execution. That the game can be beaten purely through skill in execution, and not purely through understanding the mechanics, speaks volumes.
I believe the director for DeS and DkS said that he based the games on his experience reading English-language tabletop RPG books back in the day, not fully understanding how things worked (especially since he didn't know much English) but loving the world and the possibilities.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cake Attack posted:

I'm a giant sap, so my definition of good romance might not agree with yours, but hey. Here are some you might enjoy:

Final Fantasy IX
Valkyria Chronicles
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Tales of the Abyss

I'll add more if they come to me.

Valkyria Chronicles is really silly, but I can't help but like the romance sub plot in that game. The proposal scene literally made me go "aaaaaw" before I could stop myself. Then I started laughing, but that's pretty much VC in a nutshell. The Last Story was pretty cute too, IMHO.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

trikker posted:

While on the subject of recommendations...

I'm looking for games that satisfy the following conditions.

1)
You are rewarded for understanding the mechanics of the game, and utilizing that understanding. The mechanics should enable challenge, and this challenge should exist in the game, optional or otherwise. I hesitate to say that the mechanics should be complex since you can probably imagine, or have experienced, complex mechanics that give rise to a few obvious overpowered strategies. The slope of the learning curve doesn't matter, but its global maximum should be high. Grinding should not be a viable option, though I realize this is kind of a staple of the genre (often a fallback for the design not allowing the player to "reset" poorly made choices that have gotten them stuck in a difficulty rut). Real-time is kind of annoying, but I liked Chrono Trigger in Active mode so I guess I don't know who I am anymore. A good example is FFT 1.3.

2)
Lots of exploration. I don't like what amounts to a list of puzzles to check off (Advance Wars). There should be a world I can walk around in, people/things to talk to, branching paths, weird optional stuff, etc. I have fonder memories of exploring Treno than of killing Lord Gizmaluke. Even better if the exploration integrates well with the mechanics, e.g. a more-challenging-than-average enemy is blocking an optional, but useful, shortcut. A good example is Dark Souls.

3)
Unique and interesting, but well thought out setting and plot. You know, like someone sat down and said "hmm, what if the world worked this way? Well then I guess this would happen, then this would happen..." However, a well-developed lore shouldn't be at the expense of character development, nor should it smother you with loads of unsatisfying and flavorless gruel. I can't say Dark Souls again so um...FFIX...because...Hawaii? Honestly my bar is pretty low here, I just want it to be fun. Think 'Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind' and not 'Star Wars'.

4)
3DS, PC, 360, smart phone, or emu preferred, but honestly if it's good I'll get whatever console.

So far I've kind of looked at Radiant Historia and the Shin Megami Tensei series. Unfortunately gameplay videos are awful to judge by, when 90% of the interesting stuff is under the hood. And though it isn't saying much, I value the opinion of random people in a paywalled RPG thread a hell of a lot more than whatever reviewer.

I realize these conditions are kind of vague, in that they amount to 'I want a good game', but any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Completely off-topic from this post, but something I found while wiking Chrono Trigger's active mode. One of the original story ideas that was scrapped for Chrono Trigger was that After Crono is killed by Lavos, they go back in time and bring Crono from the past back into the future to finish their journey. I'm not so much surprised (though disappointed) at the decision to scrap this for the doll solution, since children can't watch the Sopranos or whatever, but man would it have made for a more interesting final act. Suddenly, assuming the party informs him of his fate (or maybe they hide it from him, but he finds out in a great WTFGUYS moment), Crono has to come to terms with his premature death and, depending on the direction writing takes, try to circumvent it or accept it (or both?). Potentially a bunch of weird time-travel issues here as well (as if the game didn't have enough) Source

I've played Shadow Tower: Abyss with the english translation patch and rather liked it, it seems to fulfill a lot of your wants. It's basically King's Field mixed with Hunger Games in that the equipment you find tends to be worn down and breaks quite fast relative to similar games, so you're constantly subbing in weapons that you've found lying around just to make sure you have good stuff when you need it. There are lots of very aesthetically cool areas to explore and you have to be aware while doing so; this is King's Field in spirit and will insta-kill you mercilessly if you aren't paying attention.

From the get-go, you're exploring this forest that is dark and menacing and yet at the same time colorful and serene. The atmosphere is pretty fantastic.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is it against the rules to ask for a link to the translation patch for Shadow Tower Abyss? Every link I could find doesn't work.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I dunno, while I liked Shadow Tower Abyss I actually thought it was one of the easier FROM Software games, next to Eternal Ring. It's hard going early on but the game didn't seem balanced for guns at all and made around 2/3 of the game a joke.

The original Shadow Tower is pretty fiendish though and still has much of the same mechanics though again, if you're using ranged weapons like crossbows then you kind of remove any difficulty the game has.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I dunno, while I liked Shadow Tower Abyss I actually thought it was one of the easier FROM Software games, next to Eternal Ring. It's hard going early on but the game didn't seem balanced for guns at all and made around 2/3 of the game a joke.

The original Shadow Tower is pretty fiendish though and still has much of the same mechanics though again, if you're using ranged weapons like crossbows then you kind of remove any difficulty the game has.

Yeah the ranged weapons are rather disproportionately strong, and a big part of that is how awkward the KF-style controls are. If you go in for melee attacks you're just so much more likely to be punished for it.

One of the cool things, though, is that you can hack limbs off of a lot of enemies to cripple them in different ways.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

a medical mystery posted:

Yeah the ranged weapons are rather disproportionately strong, and a big part of that is how awkward the KF-style controls are. If you go in for melee attacks you're just so much more likely to be punished for it.

One of the cool things, though, is that you can hack limbs off of a lot of enemies to cripple them in different ways.

Blowing off limbs or the head of enemies with an M1911 was so satisfying. But as much as I liked the gameplay of Shadow Tower Abyss I didn't really get what was going on with the plot or setting.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What's the word on those Avernium games (4 - 7 and the pit I think) on Steam? Worth getting?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
They are good, but I'd grab Escape from the Pit (a remake of #1) and see how it fits you. Afterwards, go to 4-6 (the second/final trilogy) if you're really jonesing. The creator's alternating a new game and an Avernum remake each year, next year is Avernum 2: (Subtitle).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Gameplay- and graphically-wise they are also all completely identical each other, so unless you're prepared to play the same game ten times over you've been warned.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yeah I'll save you some of the trouble and say that Exile/Avernum 3 is the high point of the series and where it is strongest overall. I don't think it's on steam, so you'll have to wait for the inevitable Escape from the Pit treatment or just buy it off his site.

2 is also good in its own right, and is worth playing if you can handle more of the same.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Oh hello, is that a whole bunch of the Wizardry games on Steam, there? I used to own Wizardry 8 and had a good deal of fun with it. Anyone have any experience with the others up on the (6 and 7, I believe).

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I don't like Valkyrie profile Lenneth :(

Going to ditch it on eBay and try something else. Sad.

Etriean odyssey maybe... The original on ds. That or maybe tactics ogre to see what the fuss is about...

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ignore.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 12, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

a medical mystery posted:

Yeah I'll save you some of the trouble and say that Exile/Avernum 3 is the high point of the series and where it is strongest overall. I don't think it's on steam, so you'll have to wait for the inevitable Escape from the Pit treatment or just buy it off his site.

2 is also good in its own right, and is worth playing if you can handle more of the same.

Also try the Geneforges because they're awesome and (imo) better all around.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I think the Geneforge games are just different. I played the Exile series, and the entire Avernum series except the recent remake, and it was a struggle just to finish the first Geneforge game, including multiple false starts. I played Geneforge 2 for several hours but it's going to sit uncompleted for quite a while. Those games always made me feel like I had to save-scum or metagame the system to get anywhere. Can't fault them for plot or dialogue though.

Oh yeah, I don't think anyone else mentioned it, but all of these games have huge demo sections, available on Spiderweb's site. And the "demos" are actually the full games, which you can unlock with a code should you choose to buy it directly from Spiderweb rather than Steam.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Oh hello, is that a whole bunch of the Wizardry games on Steam, there? I used to own Wizardry 8 and had a good deal of fun with it. Anyone have any experience with the others up on the (6 and 7, I believe).

The presentation and interface of 6 sucks hard, but it's still a really good game.

7 also has interface issues but it's the best game in the series IMO. I liked Wizardry 8 a ton, but it still was kind of a letdown after 7--it lacked the massive game world, dynamic NPCs, and the class changing system of 7 which made it so great.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is there any reason/difference to having Wizardry on GOG or Steam?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Do you live outside the US? Steam rips you off in the currency conversion.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I still haven't finished Deus Ex or even The Witcher. How do I find time in my full and rich life to sink well into a computer role-playing game?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So, anyone got any 'know before I play' tips for Breath Of Fire III?

Decided to go with this one. Aaaaages ago I played some of the first game on GBA. It's not really important to have played the first two before diving into this one, is it?

I am playing it on PSP by the way.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there any reason/difference to having Wizardry on GOG or Steam?

Gog is totally DRM-free and it comes with a bunch of extras. No idea if the Steam versions do, I'd hope so.

Dec 26, 2012

SaviourX posted:

I still haven't finished Deus Ex or even The Witcher. How do I find time in my full and rich life to sink well into a computer role-playing game?

The trick is not to have a full and rich life.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

So, anyone got any 'know before I play' tips for Breath Of Fire III?

Decided to go with this one. Aaaaages ago I played some of the first game on GBA. It's not really important to have played the first two before diving into this one, is it?

I am playing it on PSP by the way.

This is all from the PS1 version. I don't know if the PSP version changed anything but I think everything will still apply. You don't need to play the previous games, they are only barely connected. The mural you see before the game's menu is the final battle of BoF1. There's some character cameos to 1+2. Two characters in BoF1 return but they are completely changed in nearly every way and don't really have any connection to previous games.

Don't sell your weapons unless you have duplicates. There's a master* early on that to unlock you need to have 15 unique weapons in your inventory (not sure if it counts equipped). She's a good master and planning from the start makes unlocking her easier. Also checking the bodies in the first fight of the game will give you a weapon to add to this tally.

* Masters are ways for you to adjust how characters level up and learn new skills. If you set Character A under Master X then each time A levels up the stat gains on level up are adjusted by the master. So A might get +4 HP on a level and because they are under X they'll get +2 HP making their stat change to +6 HP. There's also penalties, like X might have -2 AP per level. You'll never lose stats on a level up so A might get +1 AP, then -2 AP penalty for a net change of 0 AP. For skills just have a character under a master for a few levels and talk to the master. If they got enough levels under them they'll learn a new skill. Each master only gives out a skill once. If you want to min/max or see what skills you can learn and when check GameFAQs. I think you can see how a master changes how you level up and if they taught you all their skills in the book when you camp but nothing more specific than that.

You can learn certain enemy skills by observing them (a battle option). It's mostly a giant crapshoot of telling everybody to observe an enemy, hoping the enemy uses the learnable skill, and hoping some more than you can learn it. It isn't worth it for the most part. Learn burn on Ryu from the Goomages before long as burn works great on nut people and they are around for a while early on. The target skill Goblin Boss' use exclusively has some uses in the second half of the game too. You can control who Rei targets when transformed with it and stop him from targeting you after a few turns. I think you can get double strike from the Nut Soldiers too which is pretty good but hard to learn.

Ivory Dice give x2 EXP from a battle. In the first half of the game you'll eventually get in a boss fight where you get in a 1 on 1 boss fight on platforms suspended by giant musclemen. Defeating the boss' team is one way to win. The other way is to target the giant muscleman holding the opponent's platform. If you defeat him you'll win the fight and get a few levels worth of EXP. Double that with an ivory dice.

In the second half of the game play the hide and go seek game again (use gamefaqs if you aren't sure where to look). You'll unlock some new masters and one gives the Chain formation after three levels. With this everybody shares the same speed as the formation leader. Put your fastest character there and enjoy your EX turns! The other two give boring formations and the fourth gives a garbage item that isn't worth three levels.

Crossing the desert late game sucks. The easy way to do it is face the north star and face one tick to the right and keep walking straight. Also the instructions of how to cross the desert inside the tent are wrong / mistranslated. If you do it legit don't follow those.

I don't remember any Gotcha! moments besides not selling weapons. Even bad master placement won't screw you up. Ryu and dragon forms can probably solo the game anyways. Or Peco. Peco is a beast if you level him up.

Also gently caress Raphala.

Dec 26, 2012

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Also gently caress Raphala.

This can't be stressed enough.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks for all the tips. I think I looted the bodies in the first fight. Is it easy to acumulate enough weapons - I mean, can I find them in shops or random drops from other fights if I am running short?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you don't sell any til the point you get the master (it's one of the earlier ones) you'll be fine. It's just kind of annoying if you sell some of the one off crap you get early on and have to wait til later to get them.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I wish BoF3 had more consistent dungeons. It's got that janky early PSX charm I love, cool characters, and a surprisingly alright story. And it ruins me wanting to replay it becuase every other level is "that" place.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

01011001 posted:

This can't be stressed enough.

Yes, whenever I replay the game, my brain always forgets Rhapala and then I try to rush through it as fast as I can. It's the lowest point of the game, and I include the desert in that tally.

dis astranagant posted:

If you don't sell any til the point you get the master (it's one of the earlier ones) you'll be fine. It's just kind of annoying if you sell some of the one off crap you get early on and have to wait til later to get them.

And yeah, this is important because "later in the game" is WAY later in the game. And I think she's the thief type master who teaches steal and is the first one to give a +speed bonus on level up.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I bought Dragon's Dogma on the ps3 and have to say I'm enjoying the experience. Strictly speaking, eastern style rpgs don't do much for me except with a few exceptions, and this is one of them.

I really dig the Dark Ages feel to the game and how oppressive darkness feels. Also, I like any game that allows me to play a hero who is a big, burly woman with a dreadlock ponytail.

Edit: And climbing up to the top of a monster's head as it tramples through a town just so I can stab it in its big stupid eye is very satisfying.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

I bought Dragon's Dogma on the ps3 and have to say I'm enjoying the experience. Strictly speaking, eastern style rpgs don't do much for me except with a few exceptions, and this is one of them.

I really dig the Dark Ages feel to the game and how oppressive darkness feels. Also, I like any game that allows me to play a hero who is a big, burly woman with a dreadlock ponytail.

Edit: And climbing up to the top of a monster's head as it tramples through a town just so I can stab it in its big stupid eye is very satisfying.

As a general word of warning; you'll want to stop being a warrior/knight/pure melee very quickly because end game content simply isn't constructed for them in any sense of the word. If you're play Dark Arisen the new area is also a giant steaming pile of "gently caress off melee."

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

What are the best indie RPGs out there?

A bit late, but I was just reminded of the fantastic (and nowadays, free!) Spirit Engine 2. The main draw is the unique combat system and great writing. You can pick from nine characters for your three-man party. There's "only" 27 combinations allowed but there's unique dialogue for every single one!

Meanwhile, the combat is sort of a spin on the ATB system, but there are no menus: you configure your attack patterns before battle. And because the world is 2D you can hide your characters behind others and you have to worry about things like attacks with an arc.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

As a general word of warning; you'll want to stop being a warrior/knight/pure melee very quickly because end game content simply isn't constructed for them in any sense of the word. If you're play Dark Arisen the new area is also a giant steaming pile of "gently caress off melee."

How does that work? I went through the original DD pure melee without issues and while the pyrotechnics of magic were pretty the melee system was more interesting than going the range route.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

How does that work? I went through the original DD pure melee without issues and while the pyrotechnics of magic were pretty the melee system was more interesting than going the range route.

Beholders require magic which you can't cast as pure melee and the magic that your pawns cast on your weapons don't count so you can't hurt them unless your pawns are on point. The super-minotaurs on the end game island have a mash to escape attack which can easily rip off half to all of your health in a single mistake and are fought in multiple packs where they can chain them together insta-gibbing you in melee. AoE blasts damage and hold you in place while enemies have gigantic pools of health to defend against melee but are vulnerable to ranged/magic.

I'm not saying its impossible its just much harder than if you chose another path a la pretty much any other RPG where you choose your class.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wrapped up Radiant Historia...actually was the last DS game in my queue. Little sad about that. I may have put more hours into my DS Lite than any other system. Anyway, RH was great. Absolutely would recommend it. Some of the combos I was able to pull off with Aht were hysterical and trivialized a few bosses.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
So I'm scoring a PSP sometime today, and I'd like to know some good RPGs for it. I know about the obvious stuff like Half Minute Hero and Trails in The Sky, but is there anything less surface level and awesome I'm missing out on?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 3 Portable, Fate/Extra (Only if you're a type moon fan, otherwise skip it)

ZHP is also a good choice.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 15, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Persona 3 Portable, Fate/Extra (Only if you're a type moon fan, otherwise skip it)

I guess I should have mentioned I've played the poo poo out of P3 :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
15 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles and I'm really enjoying it so far. Shulk and Reyn is the best bromance, and Sharla and Dunban are also good characters. Either the voice acting for this game is really well-done, or I've heard far too much bad JRPG voice acting in my lifetime.