Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

BonoMan posted:

A.) Kathryn Bigelow? Lol.

B.) While those are better directors than most, the stories are still going to be relatively the same. Dinorsaurs get loose. Threaten people. People come to the rescue.

I get it, some can do it better than others, I'm not arguing that. I'm just arguing that even those that do it better than most are still really starting to feel tired. The formulas are STILL relatively the same. So try something completely new.

You wouldn't want to see a Bigalow JP4? Hmm... seems like it would at least be marginally interesting. Would she go over the top like in Point Break, or would she attempt tense, gritty realism (well, her version of gritty realism) like in The Hurt Locker. You'd have to watch and see!

It's fine to "try something new" and not go with the usual stable of blockbuster directors (Spielberg, Bay, Favreu, Verbinski, Whedon, Emmerich, Levy, um... Turteltaub? Tony Scott is dead...) but it's completely different to tap someone who has done a quirky indie dramedy for what has to be a special effects powerhouse. If you have to go with someone new, why not go with someone like, oh I don't know, Matt Reeves... Matt Reeves makes sense. Colin Trevorrow doesn't make sense... and I guess that's all I can really say on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The fact that it doesn't make sense makes it more interesting. Now I'm curious. Before I was bored.

The worst that can happen is Jurrasic Park 4 is a bad movie. That's not a big deal in the grand scheme.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FishBulb posted:

The fact that it doesn't make sense makes it more interesting. Now I'm curious. Before I was bored.

The worst that can happen is Jurrasic Park 4 is a bad movie. That's not a big deal in the grand scheme.

Right. If it was just the second in the series I can see it making sense to go with more standard fair. But it's the fourth one...LONG after the third one came out. It's time for something different. But yeah this isn't something everyone is going to agree on and I'm ok with that!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It weirds me out that you people appear to be acting like JP is this untarnished franchise that a bad movie would ruin. I mean, yes the original is great but we've already had two pretty lovely sequels, so what's the harm in another one? It might even be good!

zenintrude posted:

More that it's boring, cloying, unfunny garbage and is little more than a pitcher plant of a film. It's Napoleon Dynamite with a veneer (if that!) of sci-fi.

Also mumblecore, the laziest of film movements.

Man, I'm not saying that you need to like SNG but it was nothing like Napoleon Dynamite and it certainly wasn't mumblecore.

I feel "mumblecore" is alot like the word hipster in that it's devolved to mean "thing I don't like that is also vaguely indie".

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 11, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I like the Jurassic World poster/logo/teaser. It brings Disney World to mind and is also literally the JP poster but in blue.

Blue being the superior colour, of course.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Ez posted:

Wow really!? I guess I was totally wrong, Lucas should be all over this thing because he's a great filmmaker apparently! Thank you so much for enlightening me about the creative talents of George Lucas you amazing film historian you.

You are welcome!

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Whining about the choice of director this far in advance just seems dumb to me. Let him prove himself, Safety Not Guaranteed was a different genre (oh no!) but it wasn't exactly incompetently done to the point where this is already written off as a bad movie.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

axleblaze posted:

Man, I'm not saying that you need to like SNG but it was nothing like Napoleon Dynamite and it certainly wasn't mumblecore.

I feel "mumblecore" is alot like the word hipster in that it's devolved to mean "thing I don't like that is also vaguely indie".

If you can't see how Mark Duplass' character was one degree above drawing unicorns in a notebook than I don't know what to say... I'm pretty sure he (as in his character) said "flippin'" multiple times in the film without a hint of irony.

Also mumblecore is term coined and embraced by the people who make these sorts of movies, so I'm not sure why calling a spade a spade is wrong here.

[edit] I wish I lived in a world where Miranda July or Jim Jarmusch was named director of Jurassic Park 4 so that I could see people defend the choice for being different and interesting.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 11, 2013

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

User-Friendly posted:

Whining about the choice of director this far in advance just seems dumb to me. Let him prove himself, Safety Not Guaranteed was a different genre (oh no!) but it wasn't exactly incompetently done to the point where this is already written off as a bad movie.

Exactly, and it is not like there are directors with a proven pedigree of making competent dinosaur movies, so I can't really think of any obvious choices of directors. All I can hope for is for a movie that is different than Lost World and Jurassic Park 3.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"Pitcher plant" as a pejorative, I've seen it all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

If you can't see how Mark Duplass' character was one degree above drawing unicorns in a notebook than I don't know what to say... I'm pretty sure he (as in his character) said "flippin'" multiple times in the film without a hint of irony.

I hated ND so much that I couldn't sit through it and I rather liked SNG so, yeah, I don't really see the similarities you're claiming are obvious. I mean, I guess they're both quirky indie characters but that's about all I really see that they have in common. The pacing, the writing style, the tone, the setting, the plot, the way the characters treated the characters, the way the characters treated the characters the fact that there were characters that weren't quirky are all things that make this a pretty drastically different film than NP.

quote:

Also mumblecore is term coined and embraced by the people who make these sorts of movies, so I'm not sure why calling a spade a spade is wrong here.

What do you have to back this up other then that you're claiming it? I mean what do you mean by "these type of people"? Who in here created this term and why are they applying it to a film that doesn't really fit it's definition? There was nothing particularity naturalistic about this film or it's dialogue. I don't see how it really fits the genre beyond it being an indie movie about young adults.

edit:

zenintrude posted:

[edit] I wish I lived in a world where Miranda July or Jim Jarmusch was named director of Jurassic Park 4 so that I could see people defend the choice for being different and interesting.

I...don't see how that wouldn't be interesting :confused:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jim Jarmusch directing Jeff Goldblum doesn't really need dinosaurs, you could do it on a bare stage and it would probably be funny.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

axleblaze posted:

What do you have to back this up other then that you're claiming it? I mean what do you mean by "these type of people"? Who in here created this term and why are they applying it to a film that doesn't really fit it's definition? There was nothing particularity naturalistic about this film or it's dialogue. I don't see how it really fits the genre beyond it being an indie movie about young adults.

I agree, but for some reason the critics are with zenintrude on this one. A lot of the reviews were calling this a mumblecore flick, and I just don't see why.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say that I think Colin Trevorrow directing JW is more of a Fincher directing Alien 3 case than anything else. The studios have been triny gto make this for years and they're sick of dealing with directors with cred that can overrule them, so they're getting a hot young director to get some buzz but at the same time they probably see him as pretty easy to push around and they probably think he'll do what they want because he doesn't have the experience, pull or financial security to go against them. It also probably helps that while I liked SNG, it wasn't a film that did anything so interesting or weird as to say that he'd want to do something atypical when handed a JP film.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

axleblaze posted:

I...don't see how that wouldn't be interesting :confused:

Obviously it'd be interesting and we'd have fun talking about it (just like we're having fin talking about this... at least I am, I hope I'm not pissing any one off because that's certainly not the goal) but I'd also not expect (I hope!) that people would imply that it would be different and interesting meaning that it was a good thing. I suppose a paleontologist having an existential crisis would actually make some sense in the grand scheme of Jurassic Park, though... actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm on board. Give the job to Miranda and/or Jim, because although we'd never see dinosaur one, it would be an extremely interesting experience.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

Obviously it'd be interesting and we'd have fun talking about it (just like we're having fin talking about this... at least I am, I hope I'm not pissing any one off because that's certainly not the goal) but I'd also not expect (I hope!) that people would imply that it would be different and interesting meaning that it was a good thing. I suppose a paleontologist having an existential crisis would actually make some sense in the grand scheme of Jurassic Park, though... actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm on board. Give the job to Miranda and/or Jim, because although we'd never see dinosaur one, it would be an extremely interesting experience.

You're looking at it all wrong: it would basically be an episode of Girls but all the characters would be replaced by Dinosaurs. It would be like the Archer Pilot and like that Archer pilot there would be no subtitles.

Man, I really want this now.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What are y'all so angry about?

I agree with this guy. Let's wait for the trailer where the raptor jumps off of an exploding building and lands in a three point stance.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I will say that I think Colin Trevorrow directing JW is more of a Fincher directing Alien 3 case than anything else. The studios have been triny gto make this for years and they're sick of dealing with directors with cred that can overrule them, so they're getting a hot young director to get some buzz but at the same time they probably see him as pretty easy to push around and they probably think he'll do what they want because he doesn't have the experience, pull or financial security to go against them. It also probably helps that while I liked SNG, it wasn't a film that did anything so interesting or weird as to say that he'd want to do something atypical when handed a JP film.

Except they pushed the movie back because he said he needed more time so if anything they seem to be pretty chill about this.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
When your list of "capable directors" includes Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon and Marc Forster, I have to wonder if you're at all familiar with the kinds of movies (or TV shows) that these people were responsible for before a studio decided to say, "Hey, why don't you take the reigns on one of our massive properties," in the same way Universal is with Trevorrow here.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tripwyre posted:

When your list of "capable directors" includes Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon and Marc Forster, I have to wonder if you're at all familiar with the kinds of movies (or TV shows) that these people were responsible for before a studio decided to say, "Hey, why don't you take the reigns on one of our massive properties," in the same way Universal is with Trevorrow here.

Favreau directed Zathura, modestly budgeted at $65 million, before being given the keys to Iron Man... Zathura wasn't a huge success, but did give him experience with special effects and sci-fi adaptations.

Whedon put in the work before he was handed the reigns to The Avengers, with low budgeted Firefly and Serenity proving that not only was he capable with special effects but also that he was extremely good at managing ensemble casts.

Forester, similar to Whedon, built slowly and carefully upon his experiences, going from dramas to a dramedy with sci-fi elements, and was tapped for Bond because, well they were going in a direction with Bond that aimed at being more traditionally dramatic by making Bond a character is a tortured soul, so it's not really that big a leap to see why Forester would be considered (see Finding Neverland)... and once he had action under his belt, well here we are.

All of these directors have proven that they can build upon their past experiences... how do you go from a movie with a $750,000 budget to one that, let's be conservative, will probably cost at least $150 million?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 11, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'd love to see Jarmusch do Jurassic Park, especially because Bill Murray and Tom Waits will probably be in it, everyone will be smoking and the dinosaurs will be made extinct due to overwhelming ennui.

Even better: David Lynch!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Goddamnit. That's not much, I know, but it's not very promising. Hopefully the initial trailer will be good and make the movie look worth seeing.
The plot I've heard sounds kind of cool in that Jurassic Park turns out to be successful for a few years then poo poo hits the fan. Basically its what happens when you get bored playing Jurassic Park Operation Genesis or Zoo Tycoon Dinosaur Digs. Then again JP IV always had weird story ideas (See: Dino Human Hybrid Soldiers)

Macaluso posted:

Does anyone know if Jeff Goldblum is going to be back? I don't care how they shoehorn him getting caught up in dinosaurs again he needs to be there
Lets have Sam Neil and Jeff together again, those small scenes with the two of them are my favorite.

E: Whatever happened to that Jurassic Park thread? I miss it :smith:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 11, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

achillesforever6 posted:

The plot I've heard sounds kind of cool in that Jurassic Park turns out to be successful for a few years then poo poo hits the fan. Basically its what happens when you get bored playing Jurassic Park Operation Genesis or Zoo Tycoon Dinosaur Digs. Then again JP IV always had weird story ideas (See: Dino Human Hybrid Soldiers)
So after poo poo hits the fan, the park becomes abandoned and the dinos run loose?

:staredog:

Now that's a movie I'd see in a heartbeat!

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

The movie poster thread needs a rule that in order to post your opinion, you need to post a drat poster.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Barometer posted:

The movie poster thread needs a rule that in order to post your opinion, you need to post a drat poster.

I combined Arthur C. Price's name with Robert Clarke. It was like my brain was playing a trick on me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Beyond the Time Barrier owns, y'all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That guy does not look happy to be in that freezer tube.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

muscles like this? posted:

That guy does not look happy to be in that freezer tube.

He's tryna repopulate.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mr.capps posted:

I'm a bit confused as to why a dinosaur mumblecore movie would be a bad thing in the first place.

I want T-rexes in F-14's, dammit!

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

penismightier posted:

He's tryna repopulate.

I'm tryna re-populate this thread with movie posters! :rimshot:

I just had a

It's

Messing with a mighty penis!

I gazed too long into the internet and have found

...possibly the ugliest poster yet.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Mod posters for the Mod! :)

Modular dude!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I saw a lot of references to mumblecore but nothing about Joe Swanberg so I won't judge this Jurassic movie based on its connections to the sub-genre.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That the Jurassic World poster uses the Skyline colour scheme is very heartening.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Barometer posted:

I'm tryna re-populate this thread with movie posters! :rimshot:

I just had a

For a second I mixed this up with Frank Henenlotter's Brain Damage.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Barometer posted:

I gazed too long into the internet and have found

Robert Shaw's looked better.

Anyway, I wanted to share this poster of John Frankenheimer's strange ode to bukake:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This was the first movie score I bought. :shobon:

And check out that "Oriental Cat."

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

This was the first movie score I bought. :shobon:

And check out that "Oriental Cat."

"Shanghai, Honk Kong, Egg Foo Yong. Fortune cookie always wrong."

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yeah that poo poo was racist. Loved that movie as a kid too

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I don't remember the film at all and the buck teeth is pretty racist, but "oriental" is actually a breed of cat. No racist apologism here, just getting your cat fancying right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

They play "Chopsticks" with chopsticks

edit: actually not quite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFI52R5GRWY&t=27s

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 12, 2013