Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Doesn't Ghandi's UA make it worthwhile to set up 4< cities since so long as you can grow them to 6+ or did that get ruined in the BNW expansion?

Alright alright, it was a poorly-chosen civ for setting up my "Genghis should take everyone's cities" joke. I apologies to the thread.

There. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I was about to say that I got a culture victory on my first attempt on King as a peaceful Poland (only had a couple small wars, never took a city, as was never the instigator), with a sum total of 7 cities. But then I remembered that I had to deliberately not vote myself leader of the world, and was holding off on the one click that would give me a science victory (which I held in my back pocket as Ashurbanipal was getting very close to completing the ship himself.

Though in saying that, a lot of my delay was in some civs just refusing to ever open their borders to me.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

NZAmoeba posted:

culture victory
Though in saying that, a lot of my delay was in some civs just refusing to ever open their borders to me.

Can you declare war, send in some dudes with a musician, then perform a concert against the ai's wishes?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

redreader posted:

Can you declare war, send in some dudes with a musician, then perform a concert against the ai's wishes?

You can indeed. The most metal invasion ever.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I feel like I don't know how to properly manage happiness in this game. I've had more than one game where I ended up in a territory where for one reason or another I had very few luxuries available (2-3) and decided to go tradition. But I still ran into happiness problems. Is there some trick I'm overlooking beyond happiness buildings and religion?

Also is there a full accounting of the changes each difficulty level brings? I played a game where Monty hit me with like 20 ancient era units off one city, which I didn't think was possible with that supply mechanic.

Edit: this game has a seriously sick sense of humor in which every time I play as Pocatello I get like ONE ruin.

Putin It In Mah ASS fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 11, 2013

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Religion is basically the only way to run surplus happiness per city before Ideologies. If you don't get it early game, then most cities will be a net loss of happiness, and the number of luxuries and city-states you can get will directly limit your growth. Really a good happiness-based religion is essential to a wide empire, so if you fail to achieve that you have no choice but to go tall.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

redreader posted:

The 1000 year conflict between Germanic People's Republic and the fascist Polynesian Dominion ended when Kraftwerk spearheaded an assault on occupied Hanoi, performing Das Model over loudspeakers that could be heard over the thunder of artillery and swarms of bombers. The driving synth beats melted the hearts of the common Polynesian, and soon a righteous Worker's Revolution toppled the oppressive regime. If Germany had not been able to leverage their pop stars, the war may have ended in nuclear fire. Let us never forget the day David Hasselhoff nobly sacrificed his life during the ill-fated siege of Maui.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

redreader posted:

Yes, I had to resort to that against China in my latest Byzantine game. It was that or waiting for the internet and I was just getting towards atomic age. It was her own fault, I even tried offering her 200gpt but she refused to open up her borders. Had some setbacks when my artists had to travel progressively longer as the front line got pushed further and further away.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Religion is basically the only way to run surplus happiness per city before Ideologies. If you don't get it early game, then most cities will be a net loss of happiness, and the number of luxuries and city-states you can get will directly limit your growth. Really a good happiness-based religion is essential to a wide empire, so if you fail to achieve that you have no choice but to go tall.
I find it quite amusing that the second expansion which focuses on the modern times made religions MORE important than before. :v:

Is it just me or is Peace Loving (1 happiness for every 8 followers in non-enemy cities) utterly freaking useless? You could spread it to city states and get happiness. No the AI loves to spam missionaries and prophets into them even if they are on the opposite side of the world. What about that neighboring civ? Nope they founded their own religion and kicked yours out. But what about the other neighbor? He didn't found a religion and he has a lot of cities who now follows yours, yay! Tenochtitlan alone is giving you enough happiness for- ...oh...

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SlightlyMadman posted:

It would be much less of a problem if you could call up your ally with the happiness perks and ask him to send some missionaries your way, but it seems that the AI will only bother converting your cities if they want to poo poo on you (with the exception of Ethiopia who confuses prophets with trade caravans or something). One game a few months ago I had open borders and declarations of friendship with the owner of a religion I wanted to adopt for 1000 years, just for him to ultimately backstab me for being an infidel. Meanwhile, every hostile civ with a religion was constantly bleeding missionaries and prophets to death via attrition trying to convert my cities. This should have been in the game since G&K.

If you don't go too wide you can do it with trade, though, with a civ like Arabia (remember that bazaars dupe every luxury in range of any city that builds one) or the netherlands (whose luxury bonus sucks compared to arabia, but polders). It's important to stay out of wars and stay neutral so you can keep up your trade relation with as many other civs as possible to try to get a copy of every luxury that's available, and obviously you're going to be building a lot of colosseums, zoos and maybe stadiums. If you go DoFing yourself with someone you're eventually going to lose your trade relations with whoever hates them which will totally torpedo your happiness. You'll have to dissuade would-be invaders by turtling up and offering them really good trade deals early on to get some "we've traded recently" karma points going on and turn their ire elsewhere before they start coveting your poo poo too much (and keep in mind, a civ like mongolia will be far less likely to invade you for your horses if you just sell him the loving horses). Any luxuries you can't trade for other luxuries you should sell for gold, and use gold to buy any luxuries you can't trade for (this is big as arabia because you'll have tons of spare luxuries). If they only have one copy of a resource left, it might be worth it to pay the 3x last-copy price if it means you'll get a shot at a proper trade when the deal comes up for renewal (and as arabia if you've got spare copies of 3 luxuries that nobody in the world needs, who gives a gently caress if you trade all 3 of them for the only improved clams on the map?). It's possible to maintain happy trade relations with most/all of the world in this manner and get happiness from every luxury in the game despite a small footprint. You'll also have the opportunity to increase the happiness you earn from each luxury through policies well before you start unlocking ideologies.

I haven't actually played this way since before BNW but I think I'll take it for another spin since ideologies actually free you to stop being a boring pacifist through the endgame.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 12, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poil posted:

Is it just me or is Peace Loving (1 happiness for every 8 followers in non-enemy cities) utterly freaking useless? You could spread it to city states and get happiness. No the AI loves to spam missionaries and prophets into them even if they are on the opposite side of the world. What about that neighboring civ? Nope they founded their own religion and kicked yours out. But what about the other neighbor? He didn't found a religion and he has a lot of cities who now follows yours, yay! Tenochtitlan alone is giving you enough happiness for- ...oh...
Declare war and an Inquisitor waiting in the wings. Take their capital, burn their religion (I know there is some conflicting information going around about this, but you need to use an Inquisitor to completely destroy a religion because it's the only way to delete Holy City status; even if you erase its influence from all the other cities, a Holy City will always regenerate at least one follower and exert 10 pressure after a set number of turns), and give it back on the first turn thereafter for the "you liberated our cities" goodwill bonus :getin:

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Really? I always use an inquisitor when I take a capitol/holy city so it doesn't screw up the region, but it still says its a holy city, etc.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I just had Uluru and Sri Pada both appear near luxes in spots I'll be able to take easily while playing Spain. I will literally be holier then thou. :stare:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I played a Spain game awhile back where I got 0 Natural Wonders. I started on a tiny rear end Island with a city state and by the time I could explore and send out Conquistadors every other Wonder was taken and all I got was the tiny amount of gold for finding them.

It was the worst game.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Spain is the game's RNG in it's purest form. You will either be godlike because of the early gold and amazing benefits from natural wonders or utterly irrelevant.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gort posted:

Anyone else think that the AI on Emperor and higher difficulty could use fewer bonuses early on, and more in the late game? It seems like every game the AI starts out ahead of me and I play catch-up until the Industrial era, at which point I shoot out ahead.

Meanwhile in the earlier eras I have my fingers crossed that I won't be attacked because on paper at least the AI has huge military superiority.

Also, there's basically no point in going for a wonder pre-renaissance unless you build your entire plan around getting it.

The AI has no idea how to beeline for a victory, that's part of the problem. On Emperor I've seen AIs with multiple spaceship parts dick around for several turns making other stuff until I steal the space victory from them.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Playing on king I spawned on a continent next to Assyria, the Aztecs, Songhai, and the Huns. After beating back Assyria, Songhai, and Montezuma, Attila rolled over me like a speed bump.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I can't use Modbuddy because Microsoft no longer offers the "Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated) Redistributable Package", where can I get it? I can try downloading it through the Civ V SDK but it simply won't load anything or even display an error message.

I'd like to make a mod that gives more information on wars. First objective: To track which "side" everyone is on, because sometimes a war is a two-sided Russia + Portugal vs Shoshone + Zulu and sometimes a tangled web of alliances. Second objective: Count the number of people killed in the war by looking at the decrease in population when a city is captured or razed, and when a unit of soldiers is wiped out. Maybe also make it possible for the player to name wars. Can anyone with modding experience tell me how possible this would be or point me to a similar mod?

Chamale fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 12, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So I finally found the Fountain of Youth for the first time. As Spain.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah. Spain gets double riches from Cerro de Potosi. Double faith from Mt. Sinai! And double youth from the Fountain of Youth.

so basically they've all just turned into babies. Very happy babies, but still.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Speedball posted:

Yeah. Spain gets double riches from Cerro de Potosi. Double faith from Mt. Sinai! And double youth from the Fountain of Youth.

It would be hilarious if Spain got double the healing benefit from fountain of youth. Broken, but still hilarious.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are any of the Natural Wonders crossable by units? Because I want to try a gimmick game where I use the map editor to give me all the Wonders as Spain and try to 1 city the thing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Enjoy expanding and destroying other cultures with no consequences.

Civ5 really got Spain right. Most historically accurate civ.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CommissarMega posted:

Are any of the Natural Wonders crossable by units? Because I want to try a gimmick game where I use the map editor to give me all the Wonders as Spain and try to 1 city the thing.
I think they all count as mountains, so they're crossable by Carthage and Helicopters :v:

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Pvt.Scott posted:

The 1000 year conflict between Germanic People's Republic and the fascist Polynesian Dominion ended when Kraftwerk spearheaded an assault on occupied Hanoi, performing Das Model over loudspeakers that could be heard over the thunder of artillery and swarms of bombers. The driving synth beats melted the hearts of the common Polynesian, and soon a righteous Worker's Revolution toppled the oppressive regime. If Germany had not been able to leverage their pop stars, the war may have ended in nuclear fire. Let us never forget the day David Hasselhoff nobly sacrificed his life during the ill-fated siege of Maui.

This is amazing and I would read this if it were a full story.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

artichoke posted:

This is amazing and I would read this if it were a full story.

I read this article on wikipedia the other day and it made me pine for some way to flavour the events in Civ.

But reading interpretations on a forum is just as good :allears:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Speedball posted:

And double faith from the pantheon belief AND double culture from the world congress voting. God drat is getting wonders amazing as Spain.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ulvirich posted:

And double faith from the pantheon belief AND double culture from the world congress voting. God drat is getting wonders amazing as Spain.

Madrid next to the Mines, 2nd city next to Eldorado. First to discover both. :getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Human Crouton posted:

Enjoy expanding and destroying other cultures with no consequences.

Civ5 really got Spain right. Most historically accurate civ.

Yeah, I blitzed Japan's capital with three Fountain-buffed Cannons with March and that was just about the most trivial city siege I've ever done. Jesus.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

:stare:

He actually survived, he got the ruin (20 culture in the year 1080 ad, hurray) and embarked, but I told him to go to a nearby island over some ocean tiles, without the tech, so he turned right back around into the barbarian orgy.

(sorry for the phone pic, no internet on computer)

In the same game, my capital has 5 salt tiles within workable range, and another 3 I can get eventually as my borders expand. Im playing as Arabia. Once Bazaars hit, I had All The Salt.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
We're disucssing the start of a new multiplayer game right now. Join us in chat if you can make it Thurdays and Sundays from 7 to 9 PM ET.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

JayMax posted:

We're disucssing the start of a new multiplayer game right now. Join us in chat if you can make it Thurdays and Sundays from 7 to 9 PM ET.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv

What settings did you find working for you? Hybrid turns, game speed, player count and so on.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

AlsoD posted:

What settings did you find working for you? Hybrid turns, game speed, player count and so on.

Simultaneous, quick or regular, and 6 players seems to be the sweet spot.

e: Here's what we decided on for this next game:

Fractal map
Size dependant on number of players (8 max)
2 CS per player
Regular speed
Simultaneous turns
No turn timer
Ancient Wonders DLC
Random civs
Can only vote for self as World Leader
No time victory
You can quit and get replaced by the AI once you've lost your capital

JayMax fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 13, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

JayMax posted:

Simultaneous, quick or regular, and 6 players seems to be the sweet spot.

How does simultaneous actually end up working out when two people are at war with each other? Or are goons pacifists when we all come together :shobon:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Koramei posted:

How does simultaneous actually end up working out when two people are at war with each other?

Very messily. A lot of click spamming to try to get in your moves first and just generally a clusterfuck.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
We just find it less of a hassle than hybrid, which is buggy and slow as hell.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Would it be better to have a goon agreement that the aggressor moves all his units first each turn?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Would it be better to have a goon agreement that the aggressor moves all his units first each turn?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gort posted:

That would lead to a lot of aggression, since moving first can be a big advantage with some units.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Chamale posted:

That would lead to a lot of aggression, since moving first can be a big advantage with some units.

That's exactly how single player and hybrid turns work. You declare war on your turn, and get to move all your units, then they get to move theirs.

Simultaneous war is stupid because it leads to poo poo like units healing up while they're being shot, great generals getting sniped by lancers because there's no way to move the general and his escorting unit simultaneously, and wars being decided by the game's very iffy netcode. War is vastly more fun when you can actually strategise, rather than just rushing to click first and cursing your connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, but I'd also not like to make my game go from 4 hours to 16 hours because I decided to go with a warmonger approach and have my turns set as hybrid.

Hybrid works well in singleplayer, but not so much in multiplayer.

• Locked thread