Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SS13 fire extinguishers are the best because they're hilariously unintuitive. Clicking on someone with the safety on slams it into their face. Clicking with it off sprays them and slams it into their face. You have to disable the safety and then shoot at the square behind them.

You've basically never played SS13 until you've been beaten to death by an amateur fireman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dauntasa posted:

SS13 fire extinguishers are the best because they're hilariously unintuitive. Clicking on someone with the safety on slams it into their face. Clicking with it off sprays them and slams it into their face. You have to disable the safety and then shoot at the square behind them.

You've basically never played SS13 until you've been beaten to death by an amateur fireman.

Incidentally, it's an excellent way to kill someone as a traitor. Set them on fire "accidentally," then frantically try to "help" put them out by beating them to death with an extinguisher. Mourn publically and be seen dragging the body towards medbay. Take a detour into the the nearest convenient corpse disposal location and get rid of the body.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Dauntasa posted:

Oh my god I didn't know any of this, this explains why I kept murdering people by accident

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Also if you put Bad Things into the fire extinguisher you can spray people to death with them.

Prior to it being removed and the extinguishers getting clogged from it I would replace all the fire extinguisher foam in all of the extinguishers with poo as a clown. This change caused awful, awful things to happen to the poor people who tried to run in and fight fires or extinguish themselves.

IIRC you were also able to load them up with welding fluid.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Commoners posted:

Also if you put Bad Things into the fire extinguisher you can spray people to death with them.

Prior to it being removed and the extinguishers getting clogged from it I would replace all the fire extinguisher foam in all of the extinguishers with poo as a clown. This change caused awful, awful things to happen to the poor people who tried to run in and fight fires or extinguish themselves.

You could also load them with the ingredients for cheese and spray blocks of cheese everywhere.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

You could also load them with the ingredients for cheese and spray blocks of cheese everywhere.

And chocolate!

talib kawaii
May 2, 2003

HUG HUG HUG

deadly_pudding posted:

So this thing is basically multiplayer Dwarf Fortress in space, yeah? :psyduck:

I, too, am boggled that it can run on BYOND. I am boggled that it runs, period; the sheer ludicrous number of systems at play, interacting with each other at all times in some of those stories just floors me.

Content!
I used to have a grief that turned out to be waaaay more pro than I intended in Team Fortress Classic, along the lines of "I am mad at you for not playing how I want you to play."
My M.O.? Suicide bombing Engineer. TFC Engineer had a special grenade, the EMP Grenade. It did little or no damage on its own, but anybody caught in its effect would have their ammo detonated. This would empty them of ammunition and, for most classes, do huge damage if they weren't already running low. I had a special binding macro set up for my grenade button. The first press would set the fuse counting down, and the second press would throw the grenade. I did not usually need the second press.

I had two main strategies. The first was simply charging the enemy base head-on. If I saw a squad of enemies coming out, I would prime my grenade. Nine times out of ten, they would gun me down like it's nothing and, as they ran over my corpse and toward my base, my post-humous grenade would go off and kill the whole party. After about three of these events in a row, I would start to see some pretty excellent rage in the chat.

The second strategy would occur because I was still playing my class- before I began my suicide runs, I would always set up my autogun like a good Engi does. Sometimes I would catch somebody rushing into our base while I was doing maintenance- then it was game time. It confuses people when they suddenly die without shots fired. I would run up behind, for example, overconfident Heavies, grenade primed in my pocket, and take us both out. Delicious tears every time.

I'm not sure how the engie grenade being used exactly how it's meant to is all that bad when a demo or hwguy could just throw a bunch of mirvs around and stuff like that. Also in TFC you could throw your extra/unused ammo out in a pack and most players would do so and therefore not be carrying around rockets which I think accounted for much of the damage. You could throw out an ammo pack of your own as an engie though to add to the power of your emp. A kind of amusing special grenade grief was on the map Badlands where a spy could throw all 4 grenades down in the flag's silo and run right back to the nearby grenade spawn and repeat continuously. The little grenade gas poofs would push you away slightly in addition to the damage so the spy alone could practically make the flag uncappable.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
After reading about SS13 from this thread, this will be my late night "had a few beers, watching netflix" game. This makes me miss my old days of loving with people on Diablo 2 just with my user name. I'd make a character who I completely played wrong or used crap skills (favorite was maxing out Raven on the druid) and naming them something like "DBZ_sucks" or "RapMakesYouStupid"

I spent more time typing than killing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

After reading about SS13 from this thread, this will be my late night "had a few beers, watching netflix" game. This makes me miss my old days of loving with people on Diablo 2 just with my user name. I'd make a character who I completely played wrong or used crap skills (favorite was maxing out Raven on the druid) and naming them something like "DBZ_sucks" or "RapMakesYouStupid"

I spent more time typing than killing.

I used to play a Druid with no skills other than as many summons as possible. For some reason this used to cause lag or slowdown or something on other peoples' computers, because 90% of Battle.net players would scream at me to unsummon some of my pets.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Commoners posted:

I think you can put Black powder into them.

So you can spray someone on fire, except instead of helpful foam explosions come out.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pope Guilty posted:

I used to play a Druid with no skills other than as many summons as possible. For some reason this used to cause lag or slowdown or something on other peoples' computers, because 90% of Battle.net players would scream at me to unsummon some of my pets.

For a long time in Diablo 2, you couldn't walk through summons. Playing a skelemancer was basically the most anti-social thing you could do because you were the only person in your game who was able to even move anywhere.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
A classic from the SC2 B.net rage thread:

Effortless, yet rewarding.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

My favorite is the guy who insults 'iamagayman' by saying he has sex with his girlfriend.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

My favorite is the guy who insults 'iamagayman' by saying he has sex with his girlfriend.

I like MaleMaldives response at the end, he goes straight for the pickup line.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Since poop has been brought up recently, I feel I should ask you guys this.

I managed to get special fun bux in Age of Wushu for writing a guide. I blew it all on worthless lore items that only change your appearance since I hate buying things for fun bux and selling it to players. Too much hassle and I would have to visit the trade city.

Turns out I got something rare and special. I instantly got a lot of messages. Real life dollars were being thrown about as offers.

So I am thinking. There are beggars in this game and and you can only be begged every 3 minutes. One of the items in these bags is cow dung.

Should I say to the server, "Who ever gets me the most Cow Dung in 24 hours gets the item" just so that world chat is full of people saying, "WTB POOP." Or is this just not funny.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Artificially creating a spike in the price of poo poo sounds pretty funny to me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Third World Reggin posted:

Since poop has been brought up recently, I feel I should ask you guys this.

I managed to get special fun bux in Age of Wushu for writing a guide. I blew it all on worthless lore items that only change your appearance since I hate buying things for fun bux and selling it to players. Too much hassle and I would have to visit the trade city.

Turns out I got something rare and special. I instantly got a lot of messages. Real life dollars were being thrown about as offers.

So I am thinking. There are beggars in this game and and you can only be begged every 3 minutes. One of the items in these bags is cow dung.

Should I say to the server, "Who ever gets me the most Cow Dung in 24 hours gets the item" just so that world chat is full of people saying, "WTB POOP." Or is this just not funny.

Why are you even asking?

Fil5000 posted:

Artificially creating a spike in the price of poo poo sounds pretty funny to me.

Can the cow dung be used for anything? If no, definitely do this. If it can only be used for agriculture, and is necessary for it, definitely do this. I'd yes, but only for flaming piles on doorsteps, definitely do this. Otherwise, are you just giving away good stuff for something moderately useful? Don't do that!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No, make it a raffle where every unit of cow dung gets you a chance to win. So even the guy who manages to harvest the most poop can get nothing for his work.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Tarezax posted:

A classic from the SC2 B.net rage thread:

Effortless, yet rewarding.

Speaking of SC2, who was the guy who destroyed David Kim so hard with only Warhound rush?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Zereth posted:

No, make it a raffle where every unit of cow dung gets you a chance to win. So even the guy who manages to harvest the most poop can get nothing for his work.

This here is the correct solution. Get on it you magnificent goon.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
It is important also that no one ever gets whatever item you have that's so special.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Novum posted:

It is important also that no one ever gets whatever item you have that's so special.

Blatant, but always-denied corruption is the answer here. "In addition to the many people who made significant solo contributions, some guilds entered on behalf of one of their members. GTC members all collected a hundred bags each for <whoever>."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

yaoi prophet posted:

A friend of mine apparently griefs without even trying by playing TF2 with an obviously female name. I'm not surprised a name like "Frag Princess" gets a lot of insults from mouthbreathers just for being decent at the game, but I am a little puzzled why the go-to insult is "Fag Princess".
The word "Princess" is in the name and you think a good insult is "your gay dude"??? :psyduck:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Tulip posted:

For a long time in Diablo 2, you couldn't walk through summons. Playing a skelemancer was basically the most anti-social thing you could do because you were the only person in your game who was able to even move anywhere.

Before they "fixed" skeletons, you could have one additional skeleton for each point you put in that particular skeleton. I had around +15 to skeleton summoning skills. at one point I had 100+ skeletons, some couldn't fit on screen. It was awesome because they were literal bone shields and it made it impossible for enemies to get around and kill me. They died in droves before and after the fix. But having too many on screen slowed it down to a crawl for myself and everyone else. I was unhappy that they nerfed it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vib Rib posted:

A friend of mine apparently griefs without even trying by playing TF2 with an obviously female name. I'm not surprised a name like "Frag Princess" gets a lot of insults from mouthbreathers just for being decent at the game, but I am a little puzzled why the go-to insult is "Fag Princess".
The word "Princess" is in the name and you think a good insult is "your gay dude"??? :psyduck:

It would make perfect sense to call you gay if you called yourself a queen. A princess isn't that far off.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Because people are stupid and uncreative?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You don't need to be a know-it-all or a super-:spergin: to 'grief' in Space Station 13 either.

Even something as simple being a cyborg and just following someone around farting so much until they hide their identity to hide from you works. Fart chases in the mini-spacepods are fun too.
(He never ordered me to stop, so I didn't)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lovely Wizard posted:

Speaking of SC2, who was the guy who destroyed David Kim so hard with only Warhound rush?

It was goatrope(thanks Fishcake for the correction). For context, David Kim is one of the lead designers of SC2, and the Warhound was a unit that was intended to be part of the expansion. Goatrope ended up playing against Kim during the beta test, beat him with nothing but Warhounds, and told him "This unit is cool". The Warhound eventually got scrapped completely because it was really boring and impossible to balance.

Starcraft is similar to Dota/League in that the most effective way to grief is to just play the game normally. Here's a few collages I posted in the Starcraft BM(bad manner) thread.

Captain Jack was my favorite because I beat him with a goofy cheese build and he got really mad and said I only did it to make up for a lack of skill. By coincidence I got matched up with him again that same night, played a more standard game, and beat him again :getin:

I posted two full chatlogs on this page if you want more incoherent rage. The whole thread is probably worth reading if you like this one; there's no creative griefs, but its 100 pages of people mad because they lost a video game.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 13, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I remember being a necromancer in DII. And having all the skeletons, lagging out people's game, and causing them to freak way the gently caress out, or potentially drop.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SpookyLizard posted:

I remember being a necromancer in DII. And having all the skeletons, lagging out people's game, and causing them to freak way the gently caress out, or potentially drop.

Also, completely blocking the insect tunnels in Act II since all the connecting paths in there were a single character wide (so you couldn't pass each other). Considering you pretty much had to do all of Act II's quests even if you were preparing a character for power leveling/Baal runs, this happened quite frequently.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Don't forget assassin's Burst of Speed lagging everyone else. I once spent an hour in a LAN with everyone else completely puzzled as to why they kept slowing down constantly until someone finally walked by my screen and saw me using it for normal travel.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Speaking of Diablo 2, I'm reminded of a certain grief that could really screw people over.

In the game, there were certain skills that would allow you to temporarily convert an enemy to fight for you. Converted enemies wouldn't attack you, and you and your party wouldn't be able to attack them. Once the conversion wears off, they go back to their normal behavior.

There are also Auras in the game, all you really need to know about them is that they're either used for buffing you and any nearby party members, or in some cases, they're used to debuff nearby enemies. Anyway, there was an aura called Thorns, which made it so that if you had it on and you were attacked by an enemy, a massive amount of damage would be reflected back to the enemy.

If you were using the Thorns aura and converted an enemy, the aura would buff them as well. However, after the conversion wears off, the aura would linger for a few seconds longer. If you or any of your party members happened to attack that enemy while he still had the aura on him, it could (and often did) result in instant death. Especially for high level characters because they're hitting so hard.

I believe they did eventually fix it so that the aura wears off as soon as the conversion does, but up until that point, I heard a lot of stories about hardcore characters (i.e. permadeath characters) getting killed by it.

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof

lovely Wizard posted:

It was goatrope. Here's a video of the game which is pretty much unremarkable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkQSeCuX6GY

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Haha, what a great insult in there. "u will be good one do but not today scrub". How nice of him!

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva

Croccers posted:

You don't need to be a know-it-all or a super-:spergin: to 'grief' in Space Station 13 either.

Even something as simple being a cyborg and just following someone around farting so much until they hide their identity to hide from you works. Fart chases in the mini-spacepods are fun too.
(He never ordered me to stop, so I didn't)

How did you make your cyborg fart?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This video is fantastic. Especially the parts with the creepy glitched-out soldier.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

This video is fantastic. Especially the parts with the creepy glitched-out soldier.

The glitched out soldier going zombie on people is funny.

This reminds me of this video,
Warning: lots of whining.
I am the law.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Kind of a lovely griefing story, but while searching for sandbox MMOs I found RPGWO, hella old Visual Basic game where the only people playing it are veterans that have played it for over a decade. I gave it a try for a few days.

quote:

15:16.25 : Helena globals: whats wrong don't like me being first? so u gotta add more jewels to your alchemy so u can beat me? so sad smh
15:16.46 : Helena globals: !@#$ you u dumb dick
15:17.50 : Helena globals: got nothing !@#$ing better to do than he on here all day and have like 4 hours of sleep...
15:19.46 : Helena globals: mother!@#$er...u did not make a couple !@#$ing pots to go from 153 to 169
15:20.12 : Sieth globals: riven has 5 characters which he has copied others main skills and is putting jools and pots in use to make first in top ten
15:20.19 : Helena globals: no he has to be first in everything on the server...he can't let anyone have anything on here

[...]

16:24.46 : Libs tells you: I don't play games man

The pubbie 'Helena' is in her 30s or 40s with kids. 'Sieth' is her online boyfriend or something, based on what the others are telling me. The 3 or 4 play together most of the day, while I 'play' by myself (there are STR/DEX and INT/WIS splits on tradeskills, you generally want one of each. I took all four).

Keep in mind that I literally have not done a single thing other than have a higher number than theirs (and manage to play significantly less than they do)

Impotence fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 14, 2013

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva

Biowarfare posted:

Kind of a lovely griefing story, but while searching for sandbox MMOs I found RPGWO, hella old Visual Basic game where the only people playing it are veterans that have played it for over a decade. I gave it a try for a few days.

The pubbie 'Helena' is in her 30s or 40s with kids. 'Sieth' is her online boyfriend or something, based on what the others are telling me. Keep in mind that I literally have not done a single thing other than have a higher number than theirs (and manage to play significantly less than they do)

More detail would certainly make it more interesting, but it is a good start. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

McScumbag posted:

More detail would certainly make it more interesting, but it is a good start. :allears:

Some background, I reverse engineer and datamine games for fun. I basically charted out quickly the best returns on grinding specific skills (like blacksmith, mining, jewelry making [items that provide skill bonuses to other skills]), resulting in exponential levelling compared to anyone else.

The game also has a feature that is basically like Runescape's per-skill highscore list that anyone can look at.

16:29.48 : Topten LEVEL :: Riven-26, Helena-15, Edward-12, Libs-12, Legowelt-11, Esprit-11, Buck-10, Kaios-9, Sieth-9, Justice-7
16:30.08 : Topten BLACKSMITH :: Riven-330, Kaios-134, Libs-128, Buck-124, Hawk-121, Legowelt-119, Sieth-118, Great1-109, BLACK MAN-74, Shuu-67

(my character on this game is Riven)

• Locked thread