Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

reignonyourparade posted:

He's DEFINITELY going to live until he meets spades slick again, because how on earth would we NOT get to experience Karkat's reunion with HIS JACK.

It will be the most sentimental stabbing of a child in the history of comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cabbit posted:

Twice if you count his dreamself.

That's the one I was counting, I forgot that Jane offed him just a little while ago.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
On the plus side, now we get to see how the crater before the inevitable frog temple happened.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Who What Now posted:

That's the one I was counting, I forgot that Jane offed him just a little while ago.

Four times if you include onscreen doomed timelines.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
oh wait nevermind this post

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Aranea doesn't need Jake to destroy the session, Just the Forge should be enough for her purposes. And thanks to Jade being a bit derp here, that's precisely what's happening.

e:

quote:

On the plus side, now we get to see how the crater before the inevitable frog temple happened.
Didn't we find that out in the End of Act 2 flash?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 13, 2013

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So is john in here or...? I saw a blue figure with a hoodie floating close to aranea in one of the first zoomed out panels, but since I couldn't load any more I assumed they would reveal him being there, unless he already was shown and I completely forgot.
So yeah, what's his deal?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ArfJason posted:

So is john in here or...? I saw a blue figure with a hoodie floating close to aranea in one of the first zoomed out panels, but since I couldn't load any more I assumed they would reveal him being there, unless he already was shown and I completely forgot.
So yeah, what's his deal?
I think that's Roxy. As for John, he's probably still buried in faux Daves right now.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I've seen enough DBZ to know that unless Jade has another more powerful form up her sleeve, she just got obliterated.

Fortunately in Homestuck, Like DBZ, death doesn't mean much.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I've seen enough DBZ to know that unless Jade has another more powerful form up her sleeve, she just got obliterated.

We'll have to see how much smoke there is when she craters. That's the real indicator.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Or she will get slammed into the lava only to appear again and say ":smug: Guess I need to try a little harder with you" or make a comment about getting a nice warmup

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I have a feeling that either way this probably wouldn't count as a Just death for Jade. Mostly due to the mental coercion, but generally because there just isn't enough poetic justice for it to fit.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I'll admit that I wasn't expecting "the gipper" on the last panel and actually laughed.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Angry Walrus posted:

I'll admit that I wasn't expecting "the gipper" on the last panel and actually laughed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRZvlZZ0DY

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thundarr posted:

Her plan was to prevent Caliborn's universe from ever existing, thus preventing Lord English from ever existing. Having an out-of control Page of Hope at maximum power kill off everybody / obliterate the session to cause a hellacious paradox that essentially invalidates everything that has ever happened in the comic and then turn that into the new alpha timeline would probably count as a win for her if it works.

(it won't work)

If it does work, then Lord English will retconishly never have been a threat, and so her actions will have been pointless cruelty and sabotage. So she gets to be the villain of the story.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

David Copperfield posted:

Aside from the fact that we saw it's creation in the EoA2 flash, it's also the wrong planet altogether.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I was expecting "the team" so "the gipper" made me just guffaw.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Jake is rather Reaganesque, including potential brain damage and inexplicable, folksy charm.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

If it does work, then Lord English will retconishly never have been a threat, and so her actions will have been pointless cruelty and sabotage. So she gets to be the villain of the story.

So she gets attention, gets to be tragically unrecognized for her actions, and then gets freedom from societal norms for being mistargetted for evil.

Let's just hand her the giant key to being Mindfang already.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Or she will get slammed into the lava only to appear again and say ":smug: Guess I need to try a little harder with you" or make a comment about getting a nice warmup

"Now to unleash my full power!" (for like the third time in a row)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, Jake, couldn't you have won one for anyone else?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

It will be the most sentimental stabbing of a child in the history of comics.

First thing Jack does after seeing him is run up to Karkat and stab him. Karkat recoils in pain, and a tear rolls down his cheek. It is a tear... of happiness. :unsmith:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We aren't going to find out if this counts as a jusr death for Jade, because Dave the Mayor is about to save her from getting dunked into the lava.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

"Now to unleash my full power!" (for like the third time in a row)

So this is Geiger Alien Jade time?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Why has no one brought up the possibility that his Hope power is just going to return her to regular Jade? That's the first thing I thought would happen.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

frozentreasure posted:

Why has no one brought up the possibility that his Hope power is just going to return her to regular Jade? That's the first thing I thought would happen.

Obviously, it's because nobody is hoping for a Jade-goes-back-to-normal party (starring Normal Jade).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Obviously, it's because nobody is hoping for a Jade-goes-back-to-normal party (starring Normal Jade).

We also never got to see a corpse party, and Dave and Terezi never got to have that see party, and I don't think even Jane's birthday party ended up happening. If we don't get our goddamn JGBTN party (SNJ) I'm gonna just friggin' lose it. :mad:

No but seriously the real reason is that they just DBZ-ed themselves up Chekhov's Lava Pool and dangit somebody is getting shoved into that thing or else why is it even there. I hope that person isn't Jade right now, though. That would probably count as Just. And then we'd have all the parties from my first paragraph at once, which would be terrible. :ohdear:

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
what the hell does 'win one for the gipper' mean? its the only one of jake's phrases i've never heard before

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Jade's status as a Reagan Metaphor confirmed. That FandomSecrets thing was right all along.

Rooreelooo posted:

what the hell does 'win one for the gipper' mean? its the only one of jake's phrases i've never heard before

It's from an old Ronald Reagan movie where he plays a dying football star named Gipp who inspires the rest of his team to win. "Gipper " became a popular nickname for Reagan later on.

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 13, 2013

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Rooreelooo posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gipp#.22Win_just_one_for_the_Gipper.22

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rooreelooo posted:

In the 1940 biographical sports film Knute Rockne, All American, a player recalled being motivated by the phrase "Go out there and win one for the Gipper," which subsequently became popular. The Gipper was the nickname of the titular player's coach, George Gipp, who was portrayed by then-actor Ronald Reagan. The nickname (and by extension the phrase) was later used in Ronald Reagan's presidential election campaign.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If I may quote my favorite scholarly and educational text:

America: The Book posted:

Though noted for his status as a conservative ideologue and effective communicator, Reagan was perhaps best known for his constant and exuberant gipping.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Gipper speech in the movie basically boiled down to "Hey, this guy is going to die soon, so his team should try extra hard to win" which fit really well into Reagan's campaign. John McCain tried the same thing.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
ok that's cool and all... what does it have to do with a superpowered teenage kid in his underwear charging up a dragonball z themed ball of hope so he can nuke an evil brainwashed space furry in a wizard of oz dress?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rooreelooo posted:

ok that's cool and all... what does it have to do with a superpowered teenage kid in his underwear charging up a dragonball z themed ball of hope so he can nuke an evil brainwashed space furry in a wizard of oz dress?

Well, you see, it's all a metaphor for the current political situation in the United States...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a phrase that would be said in order to motivate an extraordinary effort.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's an old-timey, folksy exclamation, of the type one might use while defeating a nigh-insurmountable foe through extraordinary effort. That's about it. :shrug:

(efb)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Poor loving George Gipp, regulated to "That football player Reagan played in that movie where he got his nickname". He was a pretty cool dude, he deserves better. The victory his name inspired was also pretty good too [Which is why they made a movie about it].

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Also, pretty much everything else Jake has said in the power-up sequence hasn't made any sense either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Poor loving George Gipp, regulated to "That football player Reagan played in that movie where he got his nickname". He was a pretty cool dude, he deserves better. The victory his name inspired was also pretty good too [Which is why they made a movie about it].

Anyone portrayed by Ronald Reagan deserved better. :colbert:

I have to wonder just how aware Jake is of what's going on. I'm just kind of assuming he got full access to whatever his ~magical abilities~ are without any chance to learn how to use or control them.