Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I honestly haven't the faintest. On top of it just being a 'meh' idea at best, this thing is hilariously single-purpose.

Where most companies hoping to break into wrist-tech are trying to build devices that integrate multiple functions into a sleek and user-friendly package, these guys seem to imagine a world where everyone walks around with like three different bands on each wrist like Bananas Gorilla.

The concept is dumb. A tiny thin microphone that you could attach to anything would be much cooler than a big watch-like device like this.

It takes 10 taps to do the equivalent thing on a smartphone so I wouldn't say its that sleek and user friendly. That's why this kickstarter exists and has a good amount of interest:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/556341540/pressy-the-almighty-android-button

I don't see smart watches catching on though, I just get flashbacks of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

calusari posted:

The concept is dumb. A tiny thin microphone that you could attach to anything would be much cooler than a big watch-like device like this.

It takes 10 taps to do the equivalent thing on a smartphone so I wouldn't say its that sleek and user friendly. That's why this kickstarter exists and has a good amount of interest:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/556341540/pressy-the-almighty-android-button

I don't see smart watches catching on though, I just get flashbacks of this:

Yeah but those things were really popular among dorks back in the day, and it took like two decades for everyone to realize they were bullshit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah I think the problem is these singular purpose watches that essentially you could use your phone for but "errggggghhh getting my phone out is so painful THERE'S GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY"

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Yeah but those things were really popular among dorks back in the day, and it took like two decades for everyone to realize they were bullshit.
Yeah everyone knows remote watches were where it was really at. :colbert:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Who wants WW3?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-sdO6pwVHQ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

calusari posted:

The concept is dumb. A tiny thin microphone that you could attach to anything would be much cooler than a big watch-like device like this.....

Just to clarify- you and I are in agreement, right? At no point did I attempt to defend this thing.

I'll disagree on smart watches though- I'm not totally sold against them ATM if only because a couple of high-profile companies are presumably going to be releasing their own versions in the next year or two and I want to reserve my judgement until then.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cerevisiae posted:

River City Ransom Underground has to have the worst pitch video I've seen to date. The gameplay footage looks good but everything else about it is awkward and annoying.
River City Ransom EX never existed apparently. I'm all for a new RCR but from the end it sounds like WE SPENT ALL OUR MONEY ON THE LICENSE. Why didn't they Kickstart/release the game as an homage to RCR instead?
(Why am I asking this question? I know the answer already, nerds will throw wads of :10bux: at this because it has the RCR name even if it is average)

Croccers has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Sep 11, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JossiRossi posted:

Why doesn't it also function as a watch?
Dude, stop living in the past. Voice recorder/watch combos are so 80s.

I just did a quick google search and there's hundreds and hundreds of cheap knock-off watches on Chinese websites that have digital voice recording (DVR) technology, mp3 players, ebook readers, picture cameras, video cameras (with night vision and infrared options), pedometers, etc etc.. Multi-function wristband technology is practically de rigueur these days and DVR tech is especially widespread. I get that these guys have taken their DVR tech into a few new directions but that's no excuse for not adding in some extra functions.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Take your hilarious and awesome "this one thing my friend said one time" stories (that everyone obviously loves) to the next level- by wearing the functional equivalent of a wire on your wrist at all times!

There's clearly no way that this could be misused....
Grille, not "grill" :argh: What the hell, man!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
+1 to Athletics is one geek's journey while he attempts to get in shape without compromising his personality.

Risks and Challenges posted:

As with any weight loss program, probably the biggest risk is not sticking with it. There is always the chance that Terry may get fed up with eating healthy or regular exercise and just want to quit.

Really? You ask people on the Internet for money, but you might decide to drop the program whenever it becomes inconvenient for you and specifically say so in the risks and challenges section? He might as well have said 'give me free money and maybe I'll do something entertaining with it'.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
The dude's personality is "fat", there was never a risk of him being entertaining.

I sorta get it for poo poo like peoples' daydream computer games or whatever where they don't necessarily have to come up against reality until later, but how do you make a pitch video like that, look at the end product, and not conclude that maybe making movies isn't the business model for you.

Tubgirl Cosplay has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Sep 12, 2013

Sticky Profits
Aug 12, 2011

A graduate of the National Personal Training Institute in Cincinnati you say?! What crevice should I push my money into?

Edit: Jesus loving Christ the guy is only 27.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Sticky Profits posted:

A graduate of the National Personal Training Institute in Cincinnati you say?!

Literally worthless. And I do mean that in the literal sense.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fenarisk posted:

Literally worthless. And I do mean that in the literal sense.

Yep. Most personal training certification is sitting through a workshop, writing a check for a few hundred dollars, and getting a worthless piece of paper in return.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Man, won't YLLS be embarrassed when they learn that they could have been getting paid this whole time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I could justify a "pay me to get in shape while I make a series about it or a bunch of workout tapes" project if the end result were something entertaining or useful. This guy's got absolutely no charisma or screen presence or wit or charm or comic sensibility or good articulation or anything that would remotely make him tolerable to watch on film.

For all of the blabbing in the pitch video about how workout videos (you know, for dumb jocks) are boring, you could bet money that whatever this guy would produce would be an absolute chore to get through.

Hell, if Morgan Spurlock got morbidly obese and wanted to Kickstart this very same project, I'd donate in a heartbeat because at least I'd know I'd be getting something entertaining out of it.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I could justify a "pay me to get in shape while I make a series about it or a bunch of workout tapes" project if the end result were something entertaining or useful. This guy's got absolutely no charisma or screen presence or wit or charm or comic sensibility or good articulation or anything that would remotely make him tolerable to watch on film.

Yeah, there's just nothing there that should interest anybody enough to fork over cash money. Now, if it was boogie2988...

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Electric Bugaloo posted:

For all of the blabbing in the pitch video about how workout videos (you know, for dumb jocks) are boring, you could bet money that whatever this guy would produce would be an absolute chore to get through.

Hell, if Morgan Spurlock got morbidly obese and wanted to Kickstart this very same project, I'd donate in a heartbeat because at least I'd know I'd be getting something entertaining out of it.

I wonder if you could pay a fit person to produce a series of videos where he progressively becomes fatter and fatter from eating the world's most disgusting poo poo

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

OrganizedInsanity posted:

I wonder if you could pay a fit person to produce a series of videos where he progressively becomes fatter and fatter from eating the world's most disgusting poo poo

Supersize Me was a pretty successful documentary.`

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/health/drew-manning-fit2fat2fit-lessons/index.html

Basically what this guy did. I'd watch that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Sep 12, 2013

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Kickstarter should just give in already and start doing official proposition betting. Then this fat dude could set up something like this: For every pound he has to lose, he gives $10 toward his Kickstarter campaign. Pledgers match his every dollar and Kickstarter holds all the money in escrow. If he reaches his goals by the allotted times, as proven by his doctor, he gets the money. If he doesn't reach a goal in time, all the money that remains goes to the pledgers.

Then I can finally bet on people's failures. If they make it, great! I'll get some entertainment and the satisfaction of knowing that I helped a dude actually change his life. If they fail, also great because I'll make a profit and be smugly satisfied that I knew that this loser could never make it.

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet

Noni posted:

Kickstarter should just give in already and start doing official proposition betting. Then this fat dude could set up something like this: For every pound he has to lose, he gives $10 toward his Kickstarter campaign. Pledgers match his every dollar and Kickstarter holds all the money in escrow. If he reaches his goals by the allotted times, as proven by his doctor, he gets the money. If he doesn't reach a goal in time, all the money that remains goes to the pledgers.

Then I can finally bet on people's failures. If they make it, great! I'll get some entertainment and the satisfaction of knowing that I helped a dude actually change his life. If they fail, also great because I'll make a profit and be smugly satisfied that I knew that this loser could never make it.

That's... Not a bad idea!

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Noni posted:

Been done already: https://www.dietbetter.com (similar idea)

Slash has a new favorite as of 09:46 on Sep 13, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StorrowS posted:

Been done already: https://www.dietbetter.com (similar idea)

Isn't it exactly the same as toxxing in TFLC?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Quantum vacuum zero-point energy is a concept in physics to describe the energy of the ground state of a quantum mechanical system. I'm not a physicist, so my understanding of quantum physics stops at those two courses I had in college about how magnetic resonance imaging works. I do however know that if you claim to have a method for extracting energy from the ground state to produce lots of cheap energy, you could get funding from pretty much anywhere and wouldn't need to beg on IndieGoGo. I also know that research is not the same as development of a product, and that if by some luck your ridiculous claim of being able to make energy for free in the lab is true, you're still at least decades away from powering a car with it. Which is one of the rewards they offer you.

Let this suave robotic voice coax you into dropping money on this obvious scam legitimate investment opportunity. If for some reason the guy succeeds and doesn't run off with the investment, I think that's more likely due to him being an incompetent know-nothing rather than being an actual, honest businessman.

These people probably don't know this, but there's a term for a clinical trial that is performed on animals instead of humans, and that term is 'not-a-bloody-clinical-trial'. Only when it turns out your treatment has any sort of positive effect on your test animals and doesn't kill them can you even begin to think about experimentation on humans. This research group is still very clearly in the 'feed the animal drugs X, Y and Z and see what happens' phase. Normally you don't have to beg for money on indiegogo either, because there's such a thing as 'academic grants' that can fund research. They didn't bother with any of that because grant writing is boring they have already bought all of the mice and have to start soon otherwise their experiment might fail.

I don't have very great organizational skills, but drat, even I know you don't sear the steak before you slaughter the cow.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Zybourne Clock posted:

These people probably don't know this, but there's a term for a clinical trial that is performed on animals instead of humans, and that term is 'not-a-bloody-clinical-trial'. Only when it turns out your treatment has any sort of positive effect on your test animals and doesn't kill them can you even begin to think about experimentation on humans. This research group is still very clearly in the 'feed the animal drugs X, Y and Z and see what happens' phase. Normally you don't have to beg for money on indiegogo either, because there's such a thing as 'academic grants' that can fund research. They didn't bother with any of that because grant writing is boring they have already bought all of the mice and have to start soon otherwise their experiment might fail.

I don't have very great organizational skills, but drat, even I know you don't sear the steak before you slaughter the cow.

It looks like the mice were leftovers from some OTHER experiment that didn't end up going ahead, rather than being bought specifically for this purpose.

Also, an acknowledgement in an academic paper is NOT COAUTHORSHIP. If you're selling authorships for $1000, sell actual authorships*, not just a loving mention in the smallprint

*no idea if this is legal, though I do know there are often names on papers of people who never wrote a word or saw the inside of a lab.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Fatkraken posted:

It looks like the mice were leftovers from some OTHER experiment that didn't end up going ahead, rather than being bought specifically for this purpose.

Also, an acknowledgement in an academic paper is NOT COAUTHORSHIP. If you're selling authorships for $1000, sell actual authorships*, not just a loving mention in the smallprint

The design of the experiment seems a little weird to me. There's only one treatment (all mice in the test group get a cocktail of all the drugs), so it's not going to tell you anything about the contribution of each drug to lifespan. It smells like they're trying use the outcome of this experiment to sweeten up a grant application for a larger-scale study.

Fatkraken posted:

*no idea if this is legal, though I do know there are often names on papers of people who never wrote a word or saw the inside of a lab.

Also thank you for reminding me of why I left academia.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

This is more or less that tv series Man vs Food, isn't it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I think there is a guy who is fit that plans on getting fat and has people vote on what he eats, then after getting fat he is going to get fit again. I should check that guy out again, dunno at what stage he is at currently.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Also there are people who did a third of the work in a paper and aren't mentioned anywhere in it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AnonSpore posted:

This is more or less that tv series Man vs Food, isn't it?

He started out already kinda fatty, though.

I remember back in the early 2000's some popular website, I think SparkNotes (or what eventually became SparkNotes) had a month-long project to fatten up two "fit" people. I think it was some internet betting thing to see who could gain the most weight in 30 days.

Fake edit: Here we go, thanks to the power of the internet archive.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I remember back in the early 2000's some popular website, I think SparkNotes (or what eventually became SparkNotes) had a month-long project to fatten up two "fit" people. I think it was some internet betting thing to see who could gain the most weight in 30 days.

Fake edit: Here we go, thanks to the power of the internet archive.

Actually, it's still on the now-times internet. The Fat Project, Skinkyfeet, even Stinkymeat 1 and 2.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, can it be said that all these "see me lose weight/get ripped" Kickstarters are essentially "fund my life" projects. Like they're asking for people to pay for them to lose weight?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Young Freud posted:

So, can it be said that all these "see me lose weight/get ripped" Kickstarters are essentially "fund my life" projects. Like they're asking for people to pay for them to lose weight?

No, clearly it's to provide entertainment. Then angered surprise once the fat tub of lard who's too unmotivated to lose weight on his own disappears with the money.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DrBouvenstein posted:

He showed up on The Soup a week or two ago and it actually looks like he's lost a ton of weight since he quit doing Man vs. Food.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well, I think he said his doctor told him he was going to die young if he kept doing it, so he switched the show to one where he gets other people to eat that poo poo so that they can die young.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

Well, I think he said his doctor told him he was going to die young if he kept doing it, so he switched the show to one where he gets other people to eat that poo poo so that they can die young.
Yeah by the end there it was clearly more Man Versus Diabetes, and diabetes was winning.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Hey, do you guys like jokes? Here's something from Microryza, the science crowdfunding website:

Why are jokes funny?

A well-credentialed grad student would like to analyze jokes using Amazon Mechanical Turk. She tells and fully explains a joke in the video. The first step of the project will be "Look through a bunch of jokes and see what is there to get." In the third step, they will use science to improve old jokes. I am a fan of jokes!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noni posted:

Hey, do you guys like jokes? Here's something from Microryza, the science crowdfunding website:

Why are jokes funny?

A well-credentialed grad student would like to analyze jokes using Amazon Mechanical Turk. She tells and fully explains a joke in the video. The first step of the project will be "Look through a bunch of jokes and see what is there to get." In the third step, they will use science to improve old jokes. I am a fan of jokes!

She's working towards her Doctorate of Kickstartology. I'm not even kidding:

quote:

I'm getting my PhD in Computer Science at the University of Washington. My work focuses on crowdsourcing.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Sep 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She's working towards her Doctorate of Kickstartology.

quote:

I'm getting my PhD in Computer Science at the University of Washington. My work focuses on crowdsourcing.

You're making a mistake here. Crowdsourcing and crowdfunding aren't the same thing.