Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Reo posted:

Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon Neon (will have Billy & Marian)

How did you do the dragon design on the back? I suddenly really want to do this cosplay, as it looks fairly easy (I am bad at this stuff), but that looks like the toughest part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
A friend of mine is looking for latex "snout" pieces for a Halloween costume (dude is serious when it comes to his Halloween). Can anyone point me to a good site where I might find such things? I'm imagining something like a Wolf-man/werewolf costume might be what he's aiming for.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Morpheus posted:

How did you do the dragon design on the back? I suddenly really want to do this cosplay, as it looks fairly easy (I am bad at this stuff), but that looks like the toughest part.

Dunno what Reo did but you can get printable heat transfer sheets via Amazon and eBay and fabric stores. Print the design onto the sheet, cut it out, peel off the backing, iron it on and you're good to go.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

four lean hounds posted:

A friend of mine is looking for latex "snout" pieces for a Halloween costume (dude is serious when it comes to his Halloween). Can anyone point me to a good site where I might find such things? I'm imagining something like a Wolf-man/werewolf costume might be what he's aiming for.

Hrmmph, I replied to this last night but I must have forgotten to hit "post"

So

Northfur does a range of latex prosthetics http://www.northfur.ca/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=83

I'm REALLY not a fan of most of the larger pieces, they're somewhere between cartoony and just plain odd looking and it doesn't work at all for me. However, some of the smaller pieces in the "monsters and fantasy" section look real nice, especially when paired with a good set of brows from the "brows and other parts" section. The fantasy beast might work well as a wolf man

CFX (we were talking about their super expensive over-the-head silicone pieces earlier) also does a range of smaller foam latex prosthetics here http://www.compositeeffects.com/page_search.php?Quick=appliance again their "beast" would probably be the one to go for

Foam latex/hot foam latex is not going to last forever, both from a wear and tear point of view from application and removal, and in terms of absolute shelf life. Latex is an organic material and foam latex has a very high surface area because it's full of bubbles, so it will eventually perish in air and become unusable. It'd be more than fine for a halloween, but it's not something he'd be able to use every year for decades on end. In the industry, they'd use a new casting for every application, but when going for a hobby grade finish you could probably get ten or so uses out of a single piece, barring it perishing before then. Slush cast latex lasts much longer since it doesn't have the high surface area, I have ten year old masks that are still OK (store them out of the sun and in a stable atmosphere) but doesn't have the same flexibility, it won't move with the wearers face like foam latex. Any appliance will need a skilled assistant to apply it, this can take anything from a few minutes to over an hour, depending on the level of finish you're going for, how much makeup is applied and whether any other finishing like fake hair is involved

Hope that all helps

NorseDanceParty
Jul 18, 2013
Hey guys I need some help. I'm making my best friend a batgirl outfit and I'm really stumped with the cowl. I'm trying not to go the latex root but if anyone knows any simple ways I'm all ears.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

NorseDanceParty posted:

Hey guys I need some help. I'm making my best friend a batgirl outfit and I'm really stumped with the cowl. I'm trying not to go the latex root but if anyone knows any simple ways I'm all ears.

Thin sheets of black EVA foam could work - you'd need a heat gun to shape them and some hot glue, but it's doable.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

NorseDanceParty posted:

Fabric or solid? Which variant of Batgirl?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
To add to the contact convo I usually get mine from a site called Pinky Paradise. I have had great success they are comfy and the colors are vibrant enough for dark eyes. They also come in prescription strength. Contacts run about 20-35 or so per pair though they do buy one get one sales and sometimes free shipping from time to time.

I of course got checked out by my optometrist first for my perscription and all that but they are seriously some of the most comfortable colored contacts I have ever had. Though they do require changing a bit more often or at least there site says they also recommend not reusing cases once the contacts are done so is the case. This is just my input take it for what you will.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xaerael posted:

Fabric or solid? Which variant of Batgirl?

Yeah, there's at least several dozen different Batgirl costumes from the last 50 years.

Still, could be worse:

NorseDanceParty
Jul 18, 2013
This is the batgirl we're going for.

So far all I have is a duct tape base so that it fits her head. I don't wanna go a fabric root since I made a cat woman cowl out of fabric and it just looked a little odd.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, there's at least several dozen different Batgirl costumes from the last 50 years.

Still, could be worse:

Also this comic is the best thing ever. I love it since I'm making my friend be the batgirl to my supergirl.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

I'm not sure how to get around a latex cowl with that one. If you don't want to do it yourself I know both the Bat Texan and Fourth Wall Designs have done either that exact cowl or one similar. They both do awesome work I highly recommend them for stuff like that.

I'll be interested to see if anyone can suggest a way around it though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Killer_Frost posted:

I'm not sure how to get around a latex cowl with that one. If you don't want to do it yourself I know both the Bat Texan and Fourth Wall Designs have done either that exact cowl or one similar. They both do awesome work I highly recommend them for stuff like that.

I'll be interested to see if anyone can suggest a way around it though.

I SUPPOSE some kind of very thin foam, vacformed and clad in spandex might work, like you see on some of those cheap muscle-chests in costume shops. But the setup you'd need for that is probably more complex than just casting it, plus you'd have a nasty seam line down the side.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Fatkraken posted:

I SUPPOSE some kind of very thin foam, vacformed and clad in spandex might work, like you see on some of those cheap muscle-chests in costume shops. But the setup you'd need for that is probably more complex than just casting it, plus you'd have a nasty seam line down the side.

You can't really vacuum form foam, it'll warp a bit but it doesn't shape itself like plastic does. I don't think any kind of heatshaped foam would take the kind of detail you'd want for a Batgirl cowl, anyway. I'd either sculpt it out of something lightweight that could just be worn or cast it in resin or latex.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

McPantserton posted:

You can't really vacuum form foam, it'll warp a bit but it doesn't shape itself like plastic does. I don't think any kind of heatshaped foam would take the kind of detail you'd want for a Batgirl cowl, anyway. I'd either sculpt it out of something lightweight that could just be worn or cast it in resin or latex.

Vac formed Plastazote foam.

E. How he did it: http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/tutorials/vacforming

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 13, 2013

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I learned something today! Apparently you can vacuum form foam, haha. I tried with EVA though and it did not work well at all.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Going to Scarefest here in lexington tomorrow. I'll be sure to snap pics of my corvo costume as well as any other costumes for the other thread.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

fallin1 posted:

Going to Scarefest here in lexington tomorrow. I'll be sure to snap pics of my corvo costume as well as any other costumes for the other thread.

What other thread? Is there a Halloween thread up? Where at?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Not yet! I've been waiting for that fucker. Pretty sure he means the PYF cosplay thread.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

foxatee posted:

Not yet! I've been waiting for that fucker. Pretty sure he means the PYF cosplay thread.

Exactly. I forgot to get a picture in my corvo costume so I'll have to wait until the con uploads theirs from today to post it.

E:Here's my Corvo costume. Forgot to put my hood up when I first got in.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 15, 2013

DetectiveSlowpoke
Mar 30, 2010

The best detective
So, I did a Majora's Mask cosplay and wanted to make another mask. The problem with mine is that the spikes break too easily. I made them out of the stuff you put fake flowers in and strengthened it with a base coat of primer then paint and then put a screw in them to hold it to the mask. This stopped the spikes from breaking off all the way but the tips were too fragile. What i'm getting at is that I am wondering what I should make the spikes out of that isn't so fragile.

This is the mask w/ broken spikes:

Here is what I did to hold them in better:

Here is the whole costume:

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

DetectiveSlowpoke posted:

So, I did a Majora's Mask cosplay and wanted to make another mask. The problem with mine is that the spikes break too easily. I made them out of the stuff you put fake flowers in and strengthened it with a base coat of primer then paint and then put a screw in them to hold it to the mask. This stopped the spikes from breaking off all the way but the tips were too fragile. What i'm getting at is that I am wondering what I should make the spikes out of that isn't so fragile.

That's incredibly well done. Nice job. You could maybe wrap them in foamies? Or maybe even cover them in fiberglass resin or bondo. I've never used floral foam so I'm just spitballing here. The bondo/resin might melt it for all I know.

Good luck!

DetectiveSlowpoke
Mar 30, 2010

The best detective

Killer_Frost posted:

That's incredibly well done. Nice job. You could maybe wrap them in foamies? Or maybe even cover them in fiberglass resin or bondo. I've never used floral foam so I'm just spitballing here. The bondo/resin might melt it for all I know.

Good luck!

Let's just say that floral foam is good for sculpting as it is really brittle (and cheap), but it is not fun to work with. as for the suggestions, i'll look into it tomorrow as most of my supplies are at my parents house and I can test stuff there. I'll check the forums before I do to see if there are any more suggestions.

Also when i make mask V2, i'll be sure to detail the process.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

]

I remember watching it get fixed in E-Land over in the Annex.

Either you or a friend are an Enforcer, right?

DetectiveSlowpoke
Mar 30, 2010

The best detective
Yeah, i'm an enforcer. I now know that the best stuff to fix it is rubber cement, but the rubber cement they had was almost out/ dried up.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

What i'm getting at is that I am wondering what I should make the spikes out of that isn't so fragile.

You could try pink insulation foam, that carves and sands very well. It's still on the fragile side, but FAR stronger than flower arrangers foam. Or you could go the flexible route, carve them in EVA or Plastazote and use a flexible paint. Papier Mache is also an option, if you use a lot of layers of fine enough paper and prime/sand the gently caress out of them when done, you can get a surprisingly strong but light object with a really nice finish, and the cost is very low too.

After that we start getting into resins and castable foams and costs increase by an order of magnitude...

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Yeah, i'm an enforcer. I now know that the best stuff to fix it is rubber cement, but the rubber cement they had was almost out/ dried up.

Well, I know what to donate next year.

I was in the Fallout costume with the studded flight deck helmet, knee and shin pads, and the blue vest.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Paper mâché is underused in my opinion. And another way to get a nice surface that doesn't require sanding is pouncing. Get a round paint brush (about as thick around as a sharpie) and wrap masking tape tightly around the bristles covering up about half an give or so. Cut off the exposed bristles. This leaves a flat surface of stuff bristles. As you apply the pieces of paper mâché tap the mask with the brush with a little pressure kind of like a woodpecker, especially around the edges of the paper. You want to beat up the fibers so they spread. With a little practice you get a very smooth surface.
After 4 layers you get a very strong mask and I like to finish by hand rubbing the mask down with white glue to fill in any small pits and imperfections.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

oneof27 posted:

Paper mâché is underused in my opinion. And another way to get a nice surface that doesn't require sanding is pouncing. Get a round paint brush (about as thick around as a sharpie) and wrap masking tape tightly around the bristles covering up about half an give or so. Cut off the exposed bristles. This leaves a flat surface of stuff bristles. As you apply the pieces of paper mâché tap the mask with the brush with a little pressure kind of like a woodpecker, especially around the edges of the paper. You want to beat up the fibers so they spread. With a little practice you get a very smooth surface.
After 4 layers you get a very strong mask and I like to finish by hand rubbing the mask down with white glue to fill in any small pits and imperfections.

What sort of paper would you recommend for papier mache? I usually use news print, phone books or undyed tissue paper (the crinkly packing type, not loo roll), since all these have quite loose fibres but are also thin. Also what's your favoured glue, I tend to go for wallpaper paste but I don't know if there are better options

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I'd say paper bags or what we call bogus paper. You want to find something with the longest fibers possible. And always tear the paper so you expose the fibers.
The only downside to recycling is all paper nowadays has really short fibers.
I use Tite Bond glue and a little water. Some folks soak their paper and pay it dry with paper towels so it accepts the lie better. I don't as the pouncing drives the glue mix in.
I also add a small bit of acrylic paint to my glue so I can tell one layer from another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSsZImGh7GE&feature=youtu.be
FYI, here's kind of where my sculpting skills are currently. This was a 3 hour improvised character, oddly enough for a pulp paper mâché experiment.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I've only ever papier mâchéd a few times and I've always had decent success with laundry starch. You can buy jugs of it for really cheap, dries clear, comes with a pleasant laundry scent, and cleans up really easily. I can't speak for "advanced methods" like sanding it down, adding plastics, etc. since the last time I used it was for a Halloween costume Thor helmet the year before the movie came out.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

oneof27 posted:

I'd say paper bags or what we call bogus paper. You want to find something with the longest fibers possible. And always tear the paper so you expose the fibers.
The only downside to recycling is all paper nowadays has really short fibers.
I use Tite Bond glue and a little water. Some folks soak their paper and pay it dry with paper towels so it accepts the lie better. I don't as the pouncing drives the glue mix in.
I also add a small bit of acrylic paint to my glue so I can tell one layer from another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSsZImGh7GE&feature=youtu.be
FYI, here's kind of where my sculpting skills are currently. This was a 3 hour improvised character, oddly enough for a pulp paper mâché experiment.

That's really awesome, is she a puppet head?

Titebond is an American brand and seems really expansive in the UK, is it a regular PVA wood glue or one of those special ones with added resins etc? I've also never come across bogus paper, google seems to suggest it's similar to newspaper without print and on a roll, so I guess using actual newsprint would also do the job? I tend to layer with regular white newspapers and financial times paper (pale pink) when I can get it to keep track of my layers, or use the yellow pages.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Done more sculpting on the Zinogre armour. This photo's a bit outdated now, as I've resculpted the whole chestplate, but you get the idea, and it's coming along nice.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 16, 2013

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Thought it's sort of expensive, Wonderflex is awesome. I made spikes almost exactly like yours for a puppet this past summer, and they were very light while also being sturdy.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
In anticipation of Halloween, I'm almost finished with my Scythe of the Shadowed Soul (necromancer epic 1.0 from EverQuest). I think I might get a little bit of tattered gauzy fabric like cheesecloth to cover the battery pack under the jaw there.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Xaerael posted:

Done more sculpting on the Zinogre armour. This photo's a bit outdated now, as I've resculpted the whole chestplate, but you get the idea, and it's coming along nice.

Beautiful! Is it a clay model that you're going to vacuum form? Or is it shaped wonderflex/other sort of plastic?

I'm trying to play around with making the front plate on the front of the Slave Leia costume, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've got a couple options:

1) Mold it out of clay, then vacuum form it
2) Freehand it with some sort of plastic/wonderflex and a heat gun. I'm totally not sure how I'd get all those textures/ridges, though.
3) Go all out, make a mold and cast it in resin.

Here's the plate I'm looking at for reference.

In other Star Wars news, I just ordered my BlasTech DL-44 model. Can't wait to put it together, paint the poo poo out of it, and shoot some Greedos.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 17, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Wrong button :(

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Fatkraken posted:

That's really awesome, is she a puppet head?

Titebond is an American brand and seems really expansive in the UK, is it a regular PVA wood glue or one of those special ones with added resins etc? I've also never come across bogus paper, google seems to suggest it's similar to newspaper without print and on a roll, so I guess using actual newsprint would also do the job? I tend to layer with regular white newspapers and financial times paper (pale pink) when I can get it to keep track of my layers, or use the yellow pages.

Thanks! It might end up being in a marionette. But as of now it's just an exercise.

I would imagine any white glue would do the job as well as Tite Bond. I've never been as concerned about the binding agent as I am about the medium I use. Bogus paper is a bit denser than newsprint. And a roll of it is exceedingly cheap for the amount you get.
Edit: Now that I think about it, mixing media by layer would no doubt lead to a stronger final product.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

PezMaster posted:

Beautiful! Is it a clay model that you're going to vacuum form? Or is it shaped wonderflex/other sort of plastic?

I can answer it (poster is my housemate); it's WED clay and the plan is to cast it in fibreglass.

quote:

I'm trying to play around with making the front plate on the front of the Slave Leia costume, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've got a couple options:

2) Freehand it with some sort of plastic/wonderflex and a heat gun. I'm totally not sure how I'd get all those textures/ridges, though.

This might not be popular with everyone, but I would suggest as a fourth possibility molding it in clay and casting it in LATEX, using a plaster mold. It's MUCH cheaper than resin, the marginal cost would be just a few dollars if you buy a largeish batch of latex and plaster and use it for other projects too.

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/12/4552/NertCam-16815.jpg the silver armour plate on the front of this costume is cast in latex and probably had a marginal cost of about £4 (as I always have tons of latex and plaster on hand) as is the creature skull necklace here http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/12/4552/NertCam-16857.jpg It's also really strong and flexible, the armour has four built in loops on it with straps through and those things are not going ANYWHERE, and it's not going to split or crack if you knock it. Just make sure you're not allergic to latex

EDIT: OH also VERY important, make sure the paint you use does not contain COPPER (or a copper alloy like brass), that poo poo will rot latex. Most gold coloured paints are fine but some do contain copper or copper alloy particles and will totally destroy the latex.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 17, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

I can answer it (poster is my housemate); it's WED clay and the plan is to cast it in fibreglass.

This might not be popular with everyone, but I would suggest as a fourth possibility molding it in clay and casting it in LATEX, using a plaster mold. It's MUCH cheaper than resin, the marginal cost would be just a few dollars if you buy a largeish batch of latex and plaster and use it for other projects too.

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/12/4552/NertCam-16815.jpg the silver armour plate on the front of this costume is cast in latex and probably had a marginal cost of about £4 (as I always have tons of latex and plaster on hand) as is the creature skull necklace here http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/12/4552/NertCam-16857.jpg It's also really strong and flexible, the armour has four built in loops on it with straps through and those things are not going ANYWHERE, and it's not going to split or crack if you knock it. Just make sure you're not allergic to latex

EDIT: OH also VERY important, make sure the paint you use does not contain COPPER (or a copper alloy like brass), that poo poo will rot latex. Most gold coloured paints are fine but some do contain copper or copper alloy particles and will totally destroy the latex.

I would have never thought of latex! I always just think of it as material for thin masks or body appliances - I would have never thought it became rigid and tough in thicker amounts. Is it going to be able to be used over and over again for quite a long time? I know that some thinner latex appliances have to be re-made after a couple of uses. I'm looking for something I can set right into the costume and not worry about.

That skull and silver plate have the texture and detail I'm going for. It confirms that molding and casting is the best way to go about this - thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

PezMaster posted:

Here's the plate I'm looking at for reference.

In other Star Wars news, I just ordered my BlasTech DL-44 model. Can't wait to put it together, paint the poo poo out of it, and shoot some Greedos.

You may find some good research links from these folks. http://www.rebellegion.com/ I did a Leia costume for a friend last year but didn't do a molded piece because she was cheap. I used foam and paint to create mine. Doesn't look exactly like the real thing but It worked for her and I was pretty happy with it over all.