Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

frozentreasure posted:

Can someone remind me why Aranea's actually doing anything? I genuinely have forgotten already.

She's trying to derail the timeline from the path where lord English ever exists (normally making it a beta timeline) then plans to use her healer power to make it the alpha timeline (with no reason but hubris and a desire to be the hero for believing she can actually do that - she's a Serket, after all).

And I gotta say, it's maybe not the best thing that seeing Jade bite it actually makes people yawn and roll their eyes since the story is so replete with ways to come back to life that Jade's death feels more like a bothersome diversion instead of, you know, death. I'm more surprised to see that anyone at all's reacting with shock this late in the game.

I wonder who she'll chat with during her brief death sojourn? Or whether John will just retcon everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

She's making sure this session doesn't bear fruit, because the universe it creates is the one where Caliborn is born. This should just create a doomed timeline, but Aranea is persuaded that her sylph of light powers allow her to heal the doom out of the timeline and make it the alpha. This destroys Lord English as an entity "sanctioned by Paradox Space" since he's not born in an alpha timeline anymore.

She's doing it because it allows her to defeat the main antagonist and to become the most important character in Homestuck.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

escape mechanism posted:

She's doing it because it allows her to defeat the main antagonist and to become the most important character in Homestuck.

Jokes on her. Should have gotten down with the clown :unsmigghh:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Dolash posted:

And I gotta say, it's maybe not the best thing that seeing Jade bite it actually makes people yawn and roll their eyes since the story is so replete with ways to come back to life that Jade's death feels more like a bothersome diversion instead of, you know, death. I'm more surprised to see that anyone at all's reacting with shock this late in the game.

I believe that having the "killshot" be sbahjified with the Wizord of Oz refrance is pretty good indication that Hussie is banking on this very reaction. Even Karkat's death from a few weeks ago, which was heralded by Jade flat-out stating that Jane would immediately bring him back to life, was met with more gravitas from the fandom than this.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
Well she's still trapped beneath a house. So I guess you could say, she's "homestuck".:v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

How would this not count as just?

quote:

Or one may be subject to corruption, and slain by a hero. This would be just.

If being mind controlled isn't being subject to corruption, I don't know what is :colbert:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

So wait, how did Aranea just bring down the house?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

Will a house land on Jade next?

Boneless Jogger posted:

A hope player KO'ing someone, huh? I wonder if that means someone else is going to die in a few panels.

Oh the times to see it so perfectly called.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazy posted:

If being mind controlled isn't being subject to corruption, I don't know what is :colbert:

No, being mind controlled isn't the same as corruption. Corruption indicates that you're going into it, at least on some level, eyes open and of your own will. Jade didn't get a choice.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolash posted:

She's trying to derail the timeline from the path where lord English ever exists (normally making it a beta timeline) then plans to use her healer power to make it the alpha timeline (with no reason but hubris and a desire to be the hero for believing she can actually do that - she's a Serket, after all).

Well, not no reason. She does have a point. She's a God Tier sylph of fate (one thing covered by "Light"), and has demonstrated healing powers that are clearly related to her class. It logically follows that she might be able to heal fate, so to speak, if she's strong enough. Now, whether she actually is strong enough is a different story, and is where the Serket brand of extreme hubris comes in.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kazy posted:

Regardless of whether mind-control is corruption, there's still the "slain by a hero" thing. A hero, Aranea ain't.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Regardless of whether mind-control is corruption, there's still the "slain by a hero" thing. A hero, Aranea ain't.

All players are heroes by definition.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Twerket gonna jack that Witch's shoes or what?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't like this spider8itch. I miss the old spider8itch. She never killed anyone important :(

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't like this spider8itch. I miss the old spider8itch. She never killed anyone important :(

Hey, Tavros would've been pretty drat useful; what with his communing ability being able to work on Bec.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
it's a shame that death has been so thoroughly devalued, to the point that deaths seem to have zero narrative or emotional weight. remember the first time a character died? it was tavros wasn't it?

when he got killed, we had no reason to believe he would re-enter the narrative in any form. dream bubbles hadn't been fully fleshed out, and without being god tier he had no way of coming back from the dead that way, so we all thought he had left the story for good. it sucked!

a few years later, and now there are so many ways for jade to remain in the story after dying that you'd need both hands and a few toes to count them all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rooreelooo posted:

it's a shame that death has been so thoroughly devalued, to the point that deaths seem to have zero narrative or emotional weight. remember the first time a character died? it was tavros wasn't it?

when he got killed, we had no reason to believe he would re-enter the narrative in any form. dream bubbles hadn't been fully fleshed out, and without being god tier he had no way of coming back from the dead that way, so we all thought he had left the story for good. it sucked!

a few years later, and now there are so many ways for jade to remain in the story after dying that you'd need both hands and a few toes to count them all.

On the other hand, it does ensure that Lord English will always feel like an actual threat, because he apparently has the one remaining gently caress YOU, STAY DEAD button left in Homestuck.

I hope he swings by soon and cuts this knot in half, there are way too many other villains vying for the spotlight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rooreelooo posted:

It was actually Jade.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I hope he swings by soon and cuts this knot in half, there are way too many other villains vying for the spotlight.

A Game Of Homes(tuck). Does that make Lord English The Father Of Dragons?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

IUG posted:

A Game Of Homes(tuck). Does that make Lord English The Father Of Dragons?

Or the (very) Mad Lord.

Wasn't John the first, second, and third person to die? :confused:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Ignoring the felt intermission, I'm pretty sure Dream Jade was the first casualty.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I'm pretty sure Hussie has us where he wants us: not having any value in Jade's death.

He's going to do some bullshit, make it stick, take her out of the story and everyone's going to get punched in the gut.

Just saying.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well yes, he could say "hey, that gag with Jack breaking the clock? That really was what caused Vriska to stay dead! So now Jade stays dead too!". Then have Jade pop up on a trollboat and immediately get lazered by LE. Also when John tries to fix things Aranea just puts him to sleep while he's hovering over the lava.

If it went that route though, I'd get the impression that Hussie had come to despise Homestuck and wants to end it in the most destructive and vindictive way possible.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Thundarr posted:

Well yes, he could say "hey, that gag with Jack breaking the clock? That really was what caused Vriska to stay dead! So now Jade stays dead too!".

He couldn't do that because Rose and Dave died like a hundred times in the middle of the Green Sun.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Who is going to steal Jade's shoes and travel down the yellow brick road?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

AriadneThread posted:

Semi-serious speculation: Karkat and Kanaya cross the lava pool thanks to the newly created house islands, which'll end up with them in proximity to Jade. To what end I'm not entirely sure, but escaping the rapidly spreading wildfire might be reason enough. That chain of house chunks just seems too conveniently set-up to allow someone to hop across on it, and those two are the only ones around who'd need to bother with footpaths.

Then Karkat takes the ruby slippers, clicks his heel together three times and repeats "I loving HATE THIS BULLSHIT".

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

AriadneThread posted:

Serkets have a penchant for wearing red shoes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

John Egbert, of course. She's not Dorthy Gale for nothing. :downsrim:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Fister Roboto posted:

<-------------

Oh yeah, and she's a ghost because another important character prevented her from causing the death of all her friends.

It's not like anyone provided Aranea with an alternative plan to take Jade off the board.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

There's something about spider8itches and clocks...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Ahahahahah, loving Hussie. "Lucky 8br8k!!!!!!!!" indeed!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Light players win again!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
loving spidertrolls.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Aranea is the new worst

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

McStephenson posted:

I'm pretty sure Hussie has us where he wants us: not having any value in Jade's death.

He's going to do some bullshit, make it stick, take her out of the story and everyone's going to get punched in the gut.

Just saying.

Yep.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Welp. Can't say I expected that either.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This is kind of dumb.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

Aranea is the new worst

I'm loving it, too. It's like Vriskatime all over again. :allears:

That being said, Jane can still revive Jade unless Arenea kills her too.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kill all serkets :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Boneless Jogger posted:

I'm loving it, too. It's like Vriskatime all over again. :allears:

That being said, Jane can still revive Jade unless Arenea kills her too.

Potentially even if Aranea kills her, too. Remember, a dead God Tier Feferi was able to heal the Mayor, and Aranea was able to heal Terezi despite being dead. Seems to imply that Jane could resurrect people even while dead (including herself, I'd bet).