Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah i thought transhumanism was basically "gently caress you got mine in cyberspace"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the culture, duh

Free drugs, computer buddies to talk to, you can do whatever, and basically no laws

a decadent, aimless mob of rich elites slowly collapsing under the weight of their collective arrogance and apathy

so not quite a dystopia i guess, but it fits

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hashtag Nascar posted:

supperman written by kevin smith directed by zack snyder
coming off of clerks, smith was hired to produce a superman script, which he completed and turned in

it was god-afwul

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

ol qwerty bastard posted:

glad i didn't bother seeing man of steel

when's the last time anyone made a superman film that was actually good?

i mean yeah superman is a lovely superhero anyway "oh look this person is literally invincible except for when he's in the presence of a magic rock; i wonder if the conflict this week is going to involve the magic rock somehow. how exciting."

RIP christopher reeve

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

supermang is also vulnerable to magic

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

if you ever meet a feral superman, simply cast a magical spell to ward it off

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Heresiarch posted:

every transhumanist i've ever met has been some kind of variation on "libertarian shitheel", sometimes overtly, sometimes not

then they should get a new name for their philosophy then instead of ruining a perfectly good one by their association with it

transhumanism is supposed to be about health and happiness and a good long life for all humans (which is kind of why the word "human" is in it in the first place) so i'm really not sure how a person could miss the point any harder than a "libertarian transhumanist". maybe they should be called, i dunno, a trans-me-ist since it's all about me me me.

basically the desired endpoint for a true transhumanist would be something like the culture. i think the desired endpoint for libertarians no matter how else they describe themselves is something like mad max, so it's really not compatible at all.

sorry to sperg out but now i'm kind of pissed off that i've been calling myself a transhumanist all these years and apparently people have been making untrue assumptions about me because of idiot selfish fuckheads who are also using the same label for themselves

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the thing is most transhumanists are concerned about the endpoint of transhumanism not, y'know, the transitional part of that whole idea

everybody in the future will live perfect lives of health and happiness and whatever, but only after the more useless and unproductive elements are quietly disposed of because they either would oppose the transhumanist's utopian ideal or would not reasonably have access to the means to make the transition

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

i'm kind of pissed off that i've been calling myself a transhumanist all these years
i would be too tbh, taking transhumanism seriously as an ideology is p. lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lol this owns

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i would be too tbh, taking transhumanism seriously as an ideology is p. lol

so you don't support a philosophy that says suffering is bad and happiness is good?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

so you don't support a philosophy that says suffering is bad and happiness is good?

not really helping your case for taking transhumanism seriously

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

not really helping your case for taking transhumanism seriously

i'm not the one who needs to defend my beliefs, the people who think that misery and death are supercool need to defend theirs

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i'm not the one who needs to defend my beliefs, the people who think that misery and death are supercool need to defend theirs

misery and death builds character

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

anyway the thing with transhumanism is that anyone who uses or even approves of modern medical technology is already a transhumanist even if they don't know it

like imagine going back to 1813 and saying "yeah in 200 years we'll have the ability to take organs out of dead people and sew them into live people so they can live longer, and we'll also have mechanical hearts, and special drugs that you can take before you get sick that prevent you from getting the disease in the first place, and doctors will have machines that can look inside your body without cutting you open so they can see what's wrong and fix it"; you'd be laughed at in the same way as anyone now postulating about future stuff like nanotech or vat-grown organs or whatever

so we're already living in a "transhumanist" future in some sense, which is why any decent person who subscribes to transhumanism would have as one of their highest goals to distribute modern medical care and clean water and education etc. to everywhere in the world that needs it. yeah i get that idiot nerds have ruined this by thinking that transhumanism is just about "hahaha i'm totally going to live to be 1000 and my brain will be inside of a computer" and disregarding the changes that could be made right now in the world that would significantly improve the lives of a whole lot of people. but just tossing out the whole philosophy because of some fucktards who misrepresent it is silly too.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
qwerty, you're don't sound like a transhumanist, you sound like a classic utopian

also don't do this, it's d&d-style argumentative bullshit. any argument that begins with the words "so you" is almost guaranteed to be complete poo poo meant to annoy people instead of making any actual points

of course this is yospos but this thread actually has interesting conversation in between giant ropey spurts of trekchat and i'd like to avoid having to look at poo poo that even fishmech would roll his eyes at

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

yeah sorry that was totally meant as a smugpost but that's why i came back to actually explain my point of view

i dunno maybe i am mislabeling myself but i've always thought "transhumanism" just means "applying technology and technological development towards the goal of improving human society". but whatever, you can call me a utopian too, that sounds cool

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I always thought transhumanism was the belief that one day people will live in robot bodies and cyberspace and clouds of nanites and other things that aren't fundamentally biological

not sure what you'd call the belief that science will continue to find new ways to improve life, common sense I guess

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

anyway the thing with transhumanism is that anyone who uses or even approves of modern medical technology is already a transhumanist even if they don't know it

like imagine going back to 1813 and saying "yeah in 200 years we'll have the ability to take organs out of dead people and sew them into live people so they can live longer, and we'll also have mechanical hearts, and special drugs that you can take before you get sick that prevent you from getting the disease in the first place, and doctors will have machines that can look inside your body without cutting you open so they can see what's wrong and fix it"; you'd be laughed at in the same way as anyone now postulating about future stuff like nanotech or vat-grown organs or whatever

so we're already living in a "transhumanist" future in some sense, which is why any decent person who subscribes to transhumanism would have as one of their highest goals to distribute modern medical care and clean water and education etc. to everywhere in the world that needs it. yeah i get that idiot nerds have ruined this by thinking that transhumanism is just about "hahaha i'm totally going to live to be 1000 and my brain will be inside of a computer" and disregarding the changes that could be made right now in the world that would significantly improve the lives of a whole lot of people. but just tossing out the whole philosophy because of some fucktards who misrepresent it is silly too.

but you don't have to be a transhumanist to think it's neat to dig wells and educate people, just a decent human being. it's the distinctively transhumanist stuff that's not so good.

e, didn't see you'd posted again, ignore this if you like

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

haveblue posted:

I always thought transhumanism was the belief that one day people will live in robot bodies and cyberspace and clouds of nanites and other things that aren't fundamentally biological

not sure what you'd call the belief that science will continue to find new ways to improve life, common sense I guess

i just want a robot arm that i can control with my mind. it doesn't have to be a good one. it doesnt need to replace one of my arms. it doesnt need to be attached to me.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

i think my vision of transhumanism is exemplified by the gates foundation project to get rid of malaria

if it can be done with mosquito nets and antimalarial drugs, awesome. but if you need to also have auto-targeting laser systems that shoot mosquitos out of the sky, then hell why not use that too no matter how silly and sci-fi it sounds (note: this is actually a real thing that's being developed)

"transhumanism" kind of needs to be a thing because even though everyone will say they're in favour of a better world, they actually shy away from the idea that new technologies might be needed in order to accomplish this. think of all the well-meaning anti-GMO people who are doing nothing but delaying the widespread adoption of much-needed crops that grow faster or have more nutrients.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

i just want a robot arm that i can control with my mind. it doesn't have to be a good one. it doesnt need to replace one of my arms. it doesnt need to be attached to me.

yeah we can do that too now; it's pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76lIQtE8oDY

this is transhumanism

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
every pfsc comic ever made can be reduced to one or both of the following: everything is pointless, everyone is terrible

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

angry_keebler posted:

life is poo poo but people aren't evil they're just dumb and there's no hope of fixing that problem outside of a eugenic police state which is also unacceptable so we're boned and all scifi should be relentlessy depressing to reflect this

if there's no hope of fixing the problem wouldn't that indicate a greater need for positive escapist media

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
anyway we're all hosed no matter how transhuman we get

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

oh we're hosed in the short term too

http://guymcpherson.com/2013/01/climate-change-summary-and-update/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
don't worry, you'll all be dead before it gets really bad :unsmith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i think my vision of transhumanism is exemplified by the gates foundation project to get rid of malaria

if it can be done with mosquito nets and antimalarial drugs, awesome. but if you need to also have auto-targeting laser systems that shoot mosquitos out of the sky, then hell why not use that too no matter how silly and sci-fi it sounds (note: this is actually a real thing that's being developed)

"transhumanism" kind of needs to be a thing because even though everyone will say they're in favour of a better world, they actually shy away from the idea that new technologies might be needed in order to accomplish this. think of all the well-meaning anti-GMO people who are doing nothing but delaying the widespread adoption of much-needed crops that grow faster or have more nutrients.

your av is fuckin perfect for this lf bullshit

rich white man who sells weapons to mercenaries to assure his personal immortality

transhumanist.jpg

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
anyone remember when transhumanism.org was just a series of love letters to hard drugs and how society would be great if we just buried our snouts in coke before we died

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

don't worry, you'll all be dead before it gets really bad :unsmith:

Counting on it

Also im never having kids because why would I willingly subject my progeny or anyone to the death throes of an overburdened and soon-to-be-uninhabitable planet

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

yeah we can do that too now; it's pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76lIQtE8oDY

this is transhumanism

i dream of a future where humans dont have to move a muscle to stuff their faces with chocolate

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jeff Goldblum posted:

i dream of a future where humans dont have to move a muscle to stuff their faces with chocolate

think bigger

what's stopping us from adapting this to give people 3rd, 4th, nth arms?

what about tails?

what about prehensile nipples

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

duTrieux. posted:

think bigger

what about tails?

prehensile cyber dilz

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

think bigger

what about tails?

lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
with helicopter blades so you can fly

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

put my branes in an adrienne barbeaubot, with chainsaw arms!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

duTrieux. posted:

mods

pls

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

laser penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU