Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If it makes it through the legislature, is Brown gonna sign or veto? I hate to ask the question but after his prison shenanigans...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FCKGW posted:

Also the manager of an In-N-Out store makes 6 figures
I don't think this is necessarily true of all In-n-Out managers, but some.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Prize Winner posted:

If it makes it through the legislature, is Brown gonna sign or veto? I hate to ask the question but after his prison shenanigans...

Of course Governor Moonbeam is actually powered by GOP tears:

quote:

“This legislation is overdue and will help families that are struggling in this harsh economy,” Brown said in a statement.

CA pretty much exists to call the bluff of GOP states such as showing the better parts of Obamacare will work out fine, Medicaid expansion is the right thing to do and also show increasing the minimum wage to $10/hr will not cause the economy to collapse.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

GrumpyDoctor posted:

If it requires a full day of work you should be able to live off of it.
I remember when McJobs were a bad thing, when they were proof that Republican idiocy had permanently damaged the economic makeup of America, when it was horrific to think that someone would have a multi-year full-time career as a fast-food worker.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Hopefully, California will eventually index it to cost of living like Oregon and Washington state.

There was some talk of Seattle pushing for a living wage of $15, man it would be great if it could happen in Portland.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miss-Bomarc posted:

I remember when McJobs were a bad thing, when they were proof that Republican idiocy had permanently damaged the economic makeup of America, when it was horrific to think that someone would have a multi-year full-time career as a fast-food worker.

They seem to be the only potential source of Unionization (and there is absolutely zero way they are ever being outsourced) these days so work with what you've got.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you advocating paying fast food workers less than a living wage as a way to incentivize them to get "better" jobs or something?

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you advocating paying fast food workers less than a living wage as a way to incentivize them to get "better" jobs or something?
Up until very recently--like, a couple of years ago at most--it was considered a sign of economic failure that people's primary family-supporting careers were in fast-food service. And the focus was on improving these people's earning ability (or at least supplementing it in some way) so that they could move on to a more productive and lucrative career. Fast-food service was never looked on as more than supplemental income or as introductory work experience.

If you want to say "gently caress that, fast food jobs are the only ones left" that's fine, and I can't completely disagree, but it's also a measure of how far our attitudes have changed regarding low-skill or low-education workers. "A McJob is all that you can hope for" is not exactly the most inspiring rallying cry.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Miss-Bomarc posted:

"A McJob is all that you can hope for" is not exactly the most inspiring rallying cry.

Raising the minimum wage doesn't send this message, it says that if you are working full time, you deserve to earn enough to live (and maybe even help support a family.) People will still want to get out of McJobs because they're lovely to work at even if they paid $50/hour, the incentive to get a better job is not being removed.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

computer parts posted:

They seem to be the only potential source of Unionization (and there is absolutely zero way they are ever being outsourced) these days so work with what you've got.
Saying we need lovely jobs so we can have unions to fight back against lovely jobs is a bit circular.

That said, I agree with the notion that people working lovely low-value jobs should try to get more useful ones that pay more, but there are 2 problems with that: First, education costs largely fall on individuals, so paying them poorly makes the problem of them being unqualified worse. Second, even if that's resolved, the availability of "good" jobs is already limited to the point that many of them are asking for severe levels of overqualification to get in, so there probably aren't enough "good" jobs available even if we replace all menial labor with robots.

As it stands, lovely worker pay isn't an outcome of the low job value though, it's an outcome of compensation structures shifting an ever-larger share of money up the management chain and out to investors despite the questionable returns (i.e. as Warren Buffett put it, nobody wants to be in the bottom 25% of CEO pay, but somebody must be in the bottom 25% of performance, and investor returns has as much to do with how much capital they've accumulated as it does how good they are).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OneEightHundred posted:

Saying we need lovely jobs so we can have unions to fight back against lovely jobs is a bit circular.

The only problem with lovely jobs in general is that they generally don't compensate you well enough.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The lovely jobs do and will continue to exist, because some types of work are both needed and really crap to do. I put agricultural labor at the top of that list and fast food work well below, but there are plenty of other crappy jobs, too.

These jobs pay enough to attract labor. So, on the face of it, they pay "enough".

A big problem with the above statement, though, is that the wages of these jobs are so low that the taxpayer has to subsidize the work; directly through food stamps, welfare, tax credits, subsidized housing, subsidized health care, publicly-funded emergency rooms at hospitals, publicly-funded public transportation networks primarily utilized by the poor; and indirectly through the high costs of law enforcement and criminal justice (poverty being a major driver of crime), higher rates of transmitted disease (poverty being a major driver of poor health), and more. (Another problem with the statement is that if there are more workers than jobs, obviously people will fill all the jobs even if they do not pay "enough," because any work is better than no work.)

To my mind a major point of raising minimum wages is to shift the actual burden of supporting low-wage workers back towards their employers, and by the transitive property, those employers' customers and/or stockholders. E.g., when you buy a hamburger you should have to pay the cost of supporting the guy making the hamburgers, rather than having a large portion of that cost underwritten by taxpayers. If working a 40 hour week for minimum wage provided enough income to keep someone above the poverty line, the costs to everyone would be far less.

There is also an ethical argument to be made about wage-slavery and exploitation of the disadvantaged, but ethical arguments are harder to win. It seems to me that a conservative voter is more likely to be convinced a higher minimum wage is needed if you make an economics argument about the cost to taxpayers.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Welcome to the new economy, where fast food service is expected to be a viable career path.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/obama-legacy-income-inequality

quote:

New research from inequality experts Thomas Piketty and Emmanuel Saez has revealed that we now have the biggest gap between the rich and rest of America since economists began tracking data a century ago.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basically the same people who got a bailout or profited from the 2009 meltdown now get to buy the whole state at discount to build a new property bubble.

It's so dumb to see how yet again the whole state economy is geared towards appreciation not affordability.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

The only problem with lovely jobs in general is that they generally don't compensate you well enough.
Let me rephrase then: It's stupid to say "at least the people getting a raw deal at their job will help union recruitment" when union recruitment mostly an end to the means of not getting a raw deal at their job.

That said, the problem with "McJobs" isn't just the compensation, it's also that they're deliberately as specific and devoid of responsibilities as possible, which makes them dead-ends for advancement, completely disposable, and obliterates opportunities for employees to meaningfully contribute to the business.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

Let me rephrase then: It's stupid to say "at least the people getting a raw deal at their job will help union recruitment" when union recruitment mostly an end to the means of not getting a raw deal at their job.

That said, the problem with "McJobs" isn't just the compensation, it's also that they're deliberately as specific and devoid of responsibilities as possible, which makes them dead-ends for advancement, completely disposable, and obliterates opportunities for employees to meaningfully contribute to the business.

What more meaningful contribution could there be to a fast food joint than preparing and serving the food?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

What more meaningful contribution could there be to a fast food joint than preparing and serving the food?

Marketing, management, business development... I could go on.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

You are incredibly and exactly wrong. Have fun marketing and managing your food-less restaurant.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

enraged_camel posted:

Think about it like this: when you start a restaurant, what do you hire and train first?

Marketing/management/business development or the people who are actually providing the goods you are selling?

OneEightHundred posted:

Under that perspective, maybe the issue isn't just trying to meaningfully contribute to the restaurant, but actually paying the people as if they were. If a day's worth of work is not enough to pay for your family, then you can't possibly be paying enough for people to care about their work.

Pigasus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 15, 2013

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Armyman25 posted:

Clearly a position where an individual can shine and differentiate themselves from the herd.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Human beings are not a herd, though?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Fast-food employees are.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

All Of The Dicks posted:

Human beings are not a herd, though?
You obviously are not a genetically advanced "manager".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FRINGE posted:

You are incredibly and exactly wrong. Have fun marketing and managing your food-less restaurant.

Have fun wasting money preparing and cooking food for nobody.

Pigasus posted:

Think about it like this: when you start a restaurant, what do you hire and train first?

Marketing/management/business development or the people who are actually providing the goods you are selling?

Just because you hire and train a group of workers first does not mean they are making the "most meaningful" contribution. That's a hilariously short-sighted way of looking at things. I mean, gently caress, have you ever worked at a fast-food restaurant? Because let me tell you: when you're cooking food in the back or serving it to people's tables it sure as hell doesn't feel like you're doing anything "meaningful." You're just there as an easily replaceable cog and that's it. I say that as someone who has been through it all.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Just because you hire and train a group of workers first does not mean they are making the "most meaningful" contribution. That's a hilariously short-sighted way of looking at things. I mean, gently caress, have you ever worked at a fast-food restaurant? Because let me tell you: when you're cooking food in the back or serving it to people's tables it sure as hell doesn't feel like you're doing anything "meaningful." You're just there as an easily replaceable cog and that's it. I say that as someone who has been through it all.

Everyone is replaceable. From the CEO to the cashier, no one can't be replaced.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

the CEO gets a better deal when replaced.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

etalian posted:

the CEO gets a better deal when replaced.

Yes, you've identified one of the problems.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

Correct. The question is the difficulty of replacing someone, which is determined by how much skill their work requires to perform and how much economic value they add to the organization.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

enraged_camel posted:

Thanks for the life lesson about fast food work, but I'm guessing my point was lost here. What I was trying to say is that people doing the grunt work should not feel or be treated like they're useless or the "easily replaceable cog". Replacing them takes time and effort in terms of finding someone new and training them to meet standards. However, when these people are being paid below living wages and they're being treated like they're not worth the money to have a decent standard of living in society, then anybody would feel like an "easily replaceable cog" no matter how much upward mobility the job would have. This is true for any kind of worker, fast food to white collar office work.

I'm not sure why this turned into a discussion about who does the most meaningful work for a fast food company when the real issue at hand is how low minimum wage is and how people can't unionize to work towards fixing these kinds of problems.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

withak posted:

Fast-food employees are.

Perhaps we could minimize costs by keeping them in pens, and slaughtering them when they have outlived their usefulness.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

All Of The Dicks posted:

Perhaps we could minimize costs by keeping them in pens, and slaughtering them when they have outlived their usefulness.

Ok but this was your idea, not mine.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Have you seen this awesome show called Undercover Boss?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

We should just nationalize all fast food chains, replace all the workers with robots, and then just pay everyone some minimum income like 50k/year or whatever. Done.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

FRINGE posted:

I misunderstood you then. The problem is that there is practically no way to bring skills beyond the stated minimum requirements or to get particularly better at it. The ability to contribute to the business is hard-capped by the very narrow job description, which makes them dead ends.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pigasus posted:

Thanks for the life lesson about fast food work, but I'm guessing my point was lost here. What I was trying to say is that people doing the grunt work should not feel or be treated like they're useless or the "easily replaceable cog". Replacing them takes time and effort in terms of finding someone new and training them to meet standards. However, when these people are being paid below living wages and they're being treated like they're not worth the money to have a decent standard of living in society, then anybody would feel like an "easily replaceable cog" no matter how much upward mobility the job would have. This is true for any kind of worker, fast food to white collar office work.

I'm not sure if you fully grasp the logic here. Them being paid little is not what is making them feel like easily replaceable cogs. They are being paid little because they are easily replaceable cogs.

The pizza shop under my apartment had a sign yesterday morning that said "experienced pizza cooks wanted." Do you know how long the sign stayed there? 4 hours. If someone can find your replacement in under 4 hours, guess how much they are going to pay you.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
So apparently in San Diego you guys have a part Native Alaskan, part Filipino, part Puerto Rican interim mayor who is also openly gay? And, according to Roll Call, he may replace his mentor in the 53rd Congressional District?

Why don't you share that political good fortune with the rest of the states, especially us red-staters?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah no one eats "food" without some business vampire eating money at the top of the enterprise. :rolleyes:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Yeah no one eats "food" without some business vampire eating money at the top of the enterprise. :rolleyes:

You must have never seen a fast-food joint that opens, remains empty 24/7 because nobody has heard about it and therefore trusts it, and then goes out of business. Honestly it is by far the most common reason newly opened restaurants go bankrupt: the "open it and they will come, because everyone needs food, right?" mentality just does not work.

The only exception is nationally recognized fast-food chains. And guess why those are successful: because there are "business vampires" at the top of the enterprise marking the poo poo out of the business. People have heard about Chipotle because of ads on TV and the Internet, not because of their master chefs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gygaxian posted:

So apparently in San Diego you guys have a part Native Alaskan, part Filipino, part Puerto Rican interim mayor who is also openly gay? And, according to Roll Call, he may replace his mentor in the 53rd Congressional District?

Why don't you share that political good fortune with the rest of the states, especially us red-staters?

That only happened because their former mayor was such an inordinate scumbag that his actions were inexcusable for San Diegans. And san diegans have had some corrupt motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

That only happened because their former mayor was such an inordinate scumbag that his actions were inexcusable for San Diegans. And san diegans have had some corrupt motherfuckers.

It seems to be a revolving door job given all the career ending scandals.

• Locked thread