Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Mow your lawn.

E: Oh good, a new page so I can look a real rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
I finally bought an instrument to go with my pretty limited edition Couch strap.

Now when I can't decide whether to not practice bass or not practice guitar, I can grab this Japanese beauty and not practice both (or not practice neither depending on perspective).

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
MMMM :) That's pretty. MIJ, Only a couple years old? What'd you grab it for

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Brand new, it's a 2012 serial on it. Somehow, a completely legit authorized Fender dealer in Canada is allowed to have these while American dealers can't have them. Fender is VERY sticky about distribution rights and stuff, so it's weird. $1400.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Balls. That's... is that a Bottom Master? With the fuzz circuit? I count four switches.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Balls. That's... is that a Bottom Master? With the fuzz circuit? I count four switches.

Strangle switch. Cuts the low end out for a more guitar-like tone (same as the Squier) (edit: maybe not)

Sockington fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 15, 2013

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sockington posted:

Not near as impressive as that bass, but picked up baby's first pedal tonight.

Made all the garage band sounds I could dream for. :allears:

Spurred on by Youtube videos and your endorsement, I got one of these in the mail yesterday. It really is a lot of fun and worth every penny.

I got mine second hand vintage relic-ed though.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 15, 2013

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Sockington posted:

Strangle switch. Cuts the low end out for a more guitar-like tone (same as the Squier) (edit: maybe not)
Yeah it's a strangle switch (the Japanese Bass VI is a faithful reproduction). I believe it's purpose is to keep you from destroying guitar speakers which don't handle bass frequencies well. Likely unintentionally, it also lets you play with another bassist and not turn everything into a muddy mess.

Edit: Bottom Master, aside from having a great name, only has two pups, I believe.

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 15, 2013

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Just paid for a German made Royale Standard Meteor. 40 bass 26 treble with 3 sets of reeds and 5 couplers.

Really exited to get this and start learning :)

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Been upgrading my live rig a bit:
New amp: Vox AC15C1
New pedals: Caroline Kilobyte delay, Ditto looper, Timmy, and a TC Helicon Harmony Singer.

JohnnySmitch fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 16, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Picked up a King V, always wanted one.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Old meets new:

Gets new shoes:

Aaand done!

I haven't done anything more than eyeball the pickup height, but even through Amplitube on my iPhone they sound loving amazing. I absolutely can't wait until hearing them through my amp at volume during practice tomorrow. HUGE difference over the stock Burstbuckers.

Fuckin hell, these may make me rethink my commitment to P90s.

Also:

Swapped out the black to white speed knobs on the red PRS, just for something a little different.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 22, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

iostream.h posted:

Old meets new:

Gets new shoes:

Aaand done!

I haven't done anything more than eyeball the pickup height, but even through Amplitube on my iPhone they sound loving amazing. I absolutely can't wait until hearing them through my amp at volume during practice tomorrow. HUGE difference over the stock Burstbuckers.

Fuckin hell, these may make me rethink my commitment to P90s.

Also:

Swapped out the black to white speed knobs on the red PRS, just for something a little different.

Let me know if you're looking to offload those Burstbuckers. I've got a project guitar that could use them.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Average everyday Squier Standard Strat. Cheap, light Agathis body, good lookin' finish, and set up astonishingly well out of the box. The pickups are pretty thin, as was expected, but I have a set of Fender SCN pups that have been waiting for a good home for almost a year now. Nice little guitar for $200. My unhealthy obsession with inexpensive instruments has been satisfied again...for now...

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

Let me know if you're looking to offload those Burstbuckers. I've got a project guitar that could use them.
Let me think on it, I was pondering putting them in my PRS CU24, still undecided.
Make me an offer?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Picked this up the other day.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Jag didn't grow on me, so I brought it by the music store to see if I could trade it in. Then I set eyes on this beauty and my wallet surrendered the $150 difference immediately:

(apologies for the incredibly crappy phone pic, it doesn't do it justice at all.)

Vintage Modified Squier Stratocaster. I knew the VM line was awesome based on the Jag, but this one was love at first sight. I knew I'd walk home with it the moment I saw it. The fact that it can wail sealed the deal.

Edit: After a little more research, this model in particular is the Squier Vintage Modified 70's Stratocaster.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 26, 2013

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

HNNGG I've been trying to stave off gas for a strat with a tremolo arm and this page is not helping! I should really looking at trading my squier standard tele for one.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Zonekeeper posted:

Vintage Modified Squier Stratocaster. I knew the VM line was awesome based on the Jag, but this one was love at first sight. I knew I'd walk home with it the moment I saw it. The fact that it can wail sealed the deal.

So, how's it Floyd?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

So, how's it Floyd?

Give me a bit, I just started learning a month ago. I had the store's guitar tech play me a few licks after he intonated it and rest assured, it can Floyd well.

Comfortably Numb is definitely on my to-do list now; it's pretty much required learning when you have a black Strat.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

That sounds like a decent game. I got a black Les Paul (although not 3 pickup Black Beauty style.) What's the quintessential song I need to learn for it?

e: v v v Humbuckers

nrr fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 26, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

nrr posted:

That sounds like a decent game. I got a black Les Paul (although not 3 pickup Black Beauty style.) What's the quintessential song I need to learn for it?
Depends, are they humbuckers or P90s?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

nrr posted:

e: v v v Humbuckers

Replace the hums with P90s and learn The Immigrant Song from How the West Was Won.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nrr posted:

A bunch of old Melvins songs.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zonekeeper posted:

Comfortably Numb is definitely on my to-do list now; it's pretty much required learning when you have a black Strat.

I would recommend the Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 solo if you're beginning. Comfy Numb has got a few bits of weird phrasing. So does ABITW, but that was the first Floyd solo I learnt and I spent ages trying to nail Comfy Numb.

Also: Mother.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

I would recommend the Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 solo if you're beginning. Comfy Numb has got a few bits of weird phrasing. So does ABITW, but that was the first Floyd solo I learnt and I spent ages trying to nail Comfy Numb.

Trust me, I wasn't going to start with Comfortably Numb. I have a long way to go before that can happen - it's more of a goal to aim for. The suggestions are appreciated, though.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

After looking at the constantly changing time signatures, I've determined that they forgot half of that song title when they wrote it down.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Acid Reflux posted:

After looking at the constantly changing time signatures, I've determined that they forgot half of that song title when they wrote it down.

It's a surprising bitch. It doesn't sound like it, but it is.

The guitar solo is easy though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Zonekeeper posted:

Trust me, I wasn't going to start with Comfortably Numb. I have a long way to go before that can happen - it's more of a goal to aim for. The suggestions are appreciated, though.

Wish You Were Here isn't too bad, really.

Edit: Still waiting on my Squier Bass VI. Hurry up, Indonesia. :f5:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Why has no one mentioned "Time" yet? It's the first pentatonicly based solo I teach to most of my students.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Some decent suggestions here, but the correct answer is: Shine one you crazy diamond.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I asked in the effects thread but didn't get an answer so maybe there's insight here.

I've GOT to put my effects board together SOON, we've got more gigs coming up and stringing pedals along just doesn't cut it and drives me nuts.
I'd been waiting until I figured out what was going on the new board (because a cover band doesn't need my 'ambient post-rock noisemaking sweet, country acid-house rhythm' board) and now that I've got things configured, I'm torn.

Do I want to grab another PedalTrain and do it the traditional way?
Do I want to get a Voodoo Labs Ground Commander Pro and GCX module(s)?

I'll admit, the GCP/GCX combo looks really appealing, channel switching, amp switching (means I could consolidate my acoustic amp into the rig) and one 'board' for all my various configs.

I'll be buying used, so the price difference for a PT+PP v/s the GCP/GCX isn't HUGE until you factor in a new rack with trays and all. Patch cables are going to be a bitch, I figured I'd just snag a Lava Cable kit and go to town on that, or just solder my own with some decent wire.

I'm leaning towards the PT+PP because I can do it TODAY, but I just dunno.

HALP.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I bought stuff recently. Does anyone mind if I post pictures of it?

I like old crap!

1967 (Valco) Custom Kraft Guitar
1964 Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 amp head

The cab is nothing fancy. It's an Ibanez 212. I've also added some new pedals to my effects chain. A Boss Compression Sustainer and an MXR Analog Delay.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Recently scored a 90s Samick SG-450 by trading my Orange Micro terror + 8" cab. It is an amazing guitar and from everything I've read about the Artist Series Samicks I'm not the only one to enjoy the quality of this instrument. The neck feels like my bandmate's luthier-made SG or his Gibson Les Paul. I am in still in awe I got this thing for such a steal, plus it's white!

http://imgur.com/0Ofts8A,UCcAzCd

Also traded an 80s Laney Pro Tube 100watt (PT100MV Series II) head for a 6505 yesterday. It has a few mods:

http://imgur.com/YbLqd0U

I'm in gear heaven right now.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

iostream.h posted:

I asked in the effects thread but didn't get an answer so maybe there's insight here.

I've GOT to put my effects board together SOON, we've got more gigs coming up and stringing pedals along just doesn't cut it and drives me nuts.
I'd been waiting until I figured out what was going on the new board (because a cover band doesn't need my 'ambient post-rock noisemaking sweet, country acid-house rhythm' board) and now that I've got things configured, I'm torn.

Do I want to grab another PedalTrain and do it the traditional way?
Do I want to get a Voodoo Labs Ground Commander Pro and GCX module(s)?

I'll admit, the GCP/GCX combo looks really appealing, channel switching, amp switching (means I could consolidate my acoustic amp into the rig) and one 'board' for all my various configs.

I'll be buying used, so the price difference for a PT+PP v/s the GCP/GCX isn't HUGE until you factor in a new rack with trays and all. Patch cables are going to be a bitch, I figured I'd just snag a Lava Cable kit and go to town on that, or just solder my own with some decent wire.

I'm leaning towards the PT+PP because I can do it TODAY, but I just dunno.

HALP.

How many pedals are we talking about here?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

How many pedals are we talking about here?
Uhh, somewhere around 10, depending on what's going on. I'm also leaning towards the amp channel switching and being able to simultaneously switch my reverb/delay and multifunction effects too.

I actually took the plunge, found a smoking deal on the GCP unit so I ordered it, at the least I won't lose money on it, but I'm expecting it to be pretty easy once I get past the initial setup.

Edit: Oh holy hell, so this is where my seemingly eaten post went. Wrong tab and wrong discussion, my bad.
For content, this is on it's way:

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 30, 2013

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

CPL593H posted:

I bought stuff recently. Does anyone mind if I post pictures of it?

I like old crap!

1967 (Valco) Custom Kraft Guitar
1964 Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 amp head

The cab is nothing fancy. It's an Ibanez 212. I've also added some new pedals to my effects chain. A Boss Compression Sustainer and an MXR Analog Delay.

That's a great-looking setup, what sort of music do you tend to play?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schlieren posted:

That's a great-looking setup, what sort of music do you tend to play?

Garage, punk, experimental, regular rear end rock, etc. The guitar in that picture is pretty weird. It's pretty much the bare minimum of design to have a working instrument. It's also really light, it feels like a toy when you play it. But when you over drive it, it can scream like no other.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 30, 2013

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

MullardEL34 posted:

Not exactly a purchase, but I just finished restoring this mid 1960's McMartin tube PA head. New capacitors, new 1/4 input jacks, and a fresh pair of Shuguang Coke Bottle 6L6GC output tubes. The speaker it's sitting on is a home built 1950's mono hifi speaker that I found on the side of the road in rural Geauga County Ohio. The cabinet is rough, but it contains a late 1950's 15 inch Jensen cast metal basket speaker and a Jensen horn of similar vintage. The amp was given to me by a college professor. The amp and speaker sound amazing together, they have that classic bluesy fender deluxe sort of character.

Here's a really poor quality youtube video of the amp in action. I'm the fat guy in the blue shirt with the cigarette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SXIq6zy1o4

Dr. Klas posted:

drat, that's a cool setup!

niff posted:

that is cool as hell, that's just the kind of little 6L6GC bedroom amp i want to put together.

Allen Wren posted:

I'm just jealous of the size of room that guy gets to play in. People have closets bigger than my current studio/practice room/whatever.

(The amp sounds cool, too, but JEALOUSY)

MullardEL34 posted:

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but thanks. I'm working with a couple of friends, My college, and the city government of a dying Ohio Rust Belt town to establish a 60/70's style analog recording studio. The city is leasing us an 1800 sq ft building for a dollar a year, as long as we keep the grass mowed and pay the utilities. They even Remodeled it for us! The building started life as a SOHIO gas station and garage in 1961, closed and was renovated into a physicians office in the mid 1980's, then spent the past 10 years semi-abandoned after the surgeon who owned it passed away. The 800 sq. ft service garage has become our live recording room, and the room that originally housed the cash register, racks of cigarettes, wiper blades, oil cans, AC Spark Plugs, and coolers full of cold soda is now our control room. The concrete construction makes for excellent sound isolation.

http://www.facebook.com/MonzaStudios

Well, Monza Studios is up and running now. Also, we finally have a website.
http://monzastudios.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Holy balls, you guys have some cool equipment.