Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Philip J Fry posted:

And the legendary animals, if you haven't already. If you're wearing the expert hunter outfit (free DLC,) you can get often get duplicate teeth/hearts/skins/whatever from everything (grizzly parts are worth the most and they are damned plentiful) and make pretty good bank in a hurry. Also, do the treasure hunts and sell it all off after your honor hits 'peacemaker' (I think you get a 50% sell bonus for everything at that level and above.) Almost all animal parts are worth way more in Mexico, but the treasure prices are the same everywhere.

Yeah I've been rocking the expert hunter outfit but I'm a desperado so I can only sell in Thieves' Landing. Already sold the treasure and legendary animal stuff there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Are you playing hardcore in GOTY edition? Money is loving scarce in that; it's much more plentiful in vanilla RDR (but more fun/intense in hardcore.)

Bounties can nab a couple of hundred bucks per outlaw, depending on their notoriety. Some go for 600 a pop in West Elizabeth if you bring 'em in alive.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Philip J Fry posted:

Nope. That's why it's best to create a separate save file right after MacDougal leaves Blackwater.

My end game save is right after the mountain raid. Don't go home, go to Tall Trees or something and make a separate save. If you go home, you'll get locked into the worst costume in the game.

Rancher outfit why are you so bad :(

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

My end game save is right after the mountain raid. Don't go home, go to Tall Trees or something and make a separate save. If you go home, you'll get locked into the worst costume in the game.

Rancher outfit why are you so bad :(

It's the weird purple cuff things that he wears that gets me. I mean, what even are those?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Bracers! The Rancher outfit is boss. :colbert: Only thing I wear for Undead Nightmare.

And yeah, just don't pick up the first Abigail mission and you don't start that part of the story.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It's not so much that the outfit is bad, it's that you're locked into it and can't change into anything else when you want to ditch the woman and kid for some Man Time.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I just bought this, was looking for an open worlder to play before GTA V. Just downloading now, but any goons who are still playing, add me: Xbox:sawake

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

You're not missing much if you can't find anyone to play multiplayer with, honestly.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Super disappointed to boot up Red Dead Redemption and realize that my old save file was lost. :(

All I wanted to do was play Liars Dice for a few minutes - even played through the first few missions, rode out to Thieve's Landing and apparently it takes a while for gambling to unlock.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I had no idea that Aurora Basin was shallow. It is such a minor thing to know, but still nice to know about it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Well this is interesting. Just fired up RDR in anticipation for GTA V and I managed to kill something... odd.
And no, it wasn't a woman with a horse head. It was... a jakalope!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 9, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GreatGreen posted:

Well this is interesting. Just fired up RDR in anticipation for GTA V and I managed to kill something... odd.
And no, it wasn't a woman with a horse head. It was... a jakalope!

Yeah, those got added in. Skinning one is a prereq for one of the DLC outfits.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I finally picked this up with undead nightmare not long ago. I preordered GTA V on PSN and couldn't turn this down at 10 bucks. If I jump into undead nightmare are there story spoilers or is it pretty much standalone?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Medium Cool posted:

I finally picked this up with undead nightmare not long ago. I preordered GTA V on PSN and couldn't turn this down at 10 bucks. If I jump into undead nightmare are there story spoilers or is it pretty much standalone?

The postgame of Undead Nightmare spoils the ending of RDR pretty hardcore, and the ending of RDR is not something you want to have spoiled for yourself.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

The postgame of Undead Nightmare spoils the ending of RDR pretty hardcore, and the ending of RDR is not something you want to have spoiled for yourself.

Thanks, I'll wait then. I've been enjoying Vanilla RDR quite a bit so that shouldn't be hard.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally after years of owning this I have beat the game. I got motivated to play it again as I felt bad about never finishing it before starting up GTA5 next week. Such a amazing game, shame it never had a PC release.

Anyone else do the very fitting thing of killing Ross with the very pistol he gave to John?

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Rirse posted:

Finally after years of owning this I have beat the game. I got motivated to play it again as I felt bad about never finishing it before starting up GTA5 next week. Such a amazing game, shame it never had a PC release.

Anyone else do the very fitting thing of killing Ross with the very pistol he gave to John?

Yep! I even shot his body with the explosive rifle. no funeral.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Corzaa posted:

Yep! I even shot his body with the explosive rifle. no funeral.

I just threw a thing of dyamite at the body since I still too poor for the explosive rifle. Probably try to hit the fame cap tomorrow and then start up Undead Nightmare. Bought that DLC twice and never played it (once on my original gamertag and on my newer one when the old one got corrupted for over a year).

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So I just finished the main game after almost 30 hours (probably 4 or 5 of which was spent playing poker :clint: ) and was wondering how long Undead Nightmare is. Also, what's hardcore mode? Something like one-shot HP or something?

E: did uncle mordecai just say "hey, baby!"? :stare:

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 7, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So I just finished the main game after almost 30 hours (probably 4 or 5 of which was spent playing poker :clint: ) and was wondering how long Undead Nightmare is. Also, what's hardcore mode? Something like one-shot HP or something?

Undead Nightmare is about a good few hours depending on if you just want to power through or actually do some of the side quest stuff.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

E: did uncle mordecai just say "hey, baby!"? :stare:

Hardcore mode is a bunch of changes along those lines. Damage hurts you more, takes longer to heal, your Dead Eye only fills back up with kills, money is more scarce (although prices are lowered to reflect this), and if your horse dies, you can't just wait for a new one, you have to either use a deed or break in a new one, among others. Playing it with the HUD off on hardcore mode is seriously like playing a whole new game.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yknow now that I think about it, whenever I wasn't playing poker or watching a cut scene, my eyes were glued to that lower lefthand corner. I should really try it out.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yknow now that I think about it, whenever I wasn't playing poker or watching a cut scene, my eyes were glued to that lower lefthand corner. I should really try it out.

It absolutely changes the way you play the game. You're actually navigating the environment using landmarks, and nighttime can get pretty freaky when you're out in the middle of nowhere, can't see five feet in front of your face, and hear a pack of wolves howl close by. And in missions, you're actually paying attention to what's going on as opposed to following a yellow line and playing "find the red dot" in every fight. Not to mention the little things like shooting a bird and actually having to follow it down to the ground now that you can't just rely on finding the big X on your map.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
The most substantial change from normal to hardcore imo, is the lack of an auto-aim. Shooting people in general becomes harder, naturally, but from horseback? So many missions retried, good god. Definitely make use of Dead Eye a lot more in hardcore. If you're out of Dead Eye and you come across the random event where a person's being chased by wild animals, they're pretty much a goner. And in my experience, by your own gun :negative:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The preorder DLC never came out on PSN, did it? I wanted to buy the war horse because I had some cash left over in my PSN wallet and my good horse had been killed by a cougar, but I couldn't find any of the preorder stuff in the store. The war horse deed actually appears to be purchasable in the in-game stores, but it costs $10,000 and I, uh, can't quite afford that at this point in the game.

Oh well, I'll just keep my 360 plugged in and play RDR on that instead, that version looks and runs better anyway and is the only reason (along with Rock Band) I even bother to use my 360 any more. I wish this game would just come out on the PC. :saddowns:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Both the Deadly Assassin and War Horse are in the PSN store. I remember not seeing them on the web store though, you'll actually have to use the PS3.

I just finished this game for the first time and it's definitely my favorite Rockstar game. I hope their next game is a sequel or at least another Western like it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Roman posted:

Both the Deadly Assassin and War Horse are in the PSN store. I remember not seeing them on the web store though, you'll actually have to use the PS3.
Weird, I didn't see them on there. Maybe they're there if you enter the Store via XMB, I entered through RDR's main menu and it sent me to what looked like the old PS Store and didn't have any of the preorder items. I may also just have missed them on the page because I was tired.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I realized something this weekend: the LeMat revolver in the game is missing one cool feature of the real LeMat, which is that it fires a shotgun shell in addition to its 9 bullets.

So I have exactly one negative thing to say about RDR now.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I hadn't played single player in a while, and I fired it up for a bit, got from about 82% complete to 94% complete. I even hosed around in multiplayer for a while (and gently caress getting sniped with a pistol a mile away, deadeye is a bitch online) and got to level 5, but nothing updated to Social Club. Is it having issues, or is it me?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

5er posted:

I hadn't played single player in a while, and I fired it up for a bit, got from about 82% complete to 94% complete. I even hosed around in multiplayer for a while (and gently caress getting sniped with a pistol a mile away, deadeye is a bitch online) and got to level 5, but nothing updated to Social Club. Is it having issues, or is it me?

It has a few issues.

I found it amazing that there was still stuff I didn't see after I had beaten the game. If you constantly use waypoints then you will always use the same routes. It wasn't until I was going for 100% that I saw Old Baccus place and Manteca Falls and the area surrounding it.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 6, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

It has a few issues.

Well, the issues sorted themselves out after a few hours. I should've just been patient. Like, 10 hours patient.

blackguy32 posted:

I found it amazing that there was still stuff I didn't see after I had beaten the game. If you constantly use waypoints then you will always use the same routes. It wasn't until I was going for 100% that I saw Venter's place and Manteca Falls and the area surrounding it.

I found scenic nooks and crannies like you're talking about (specifically even Manteca Falls) when I returned to RDR when Undead Nightmare released. I didn't start a fresh game but I scoured the grounds more thoroughly for the expansion.

On my more recent second fresh start on a different console- I wanted to replay it after having finished GTA5 and I wanted to re-experience RDR's narrative- I kind of speed-ran through it. Still going to get myself a 100% completion trophy, and just like last time, the last 1% I'm hung up on is getting all 5 US gang hideouts done within a 24 hour period. I think ANY fast travelling or dying breaks it.

5er fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 6, 2013

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

5er posted:

Well, the issues sorted themselves out after a few hours. I should've just been patient. Like, 10 hours patient.
Rockstar Social Club has been clinging to life ever since GTA5 Online released. Social Club falls over constantly especially during peak times. RDR and GTA I would guess run on different servers but the main Social Club authorizing server comes out of one place and that's the part that's getting constantly drilled with traffic.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
Very quick question that I can't find an answer for on Google - I know that the physical disc release of Undead Nightmare also includes the 'Legends and Killers' and 'Liars and Cheats' DLC but does it also include the original game like the GTAIV 'Ultimate Pack'?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jeremys Iron posted:

Very quick question that I can't find an answer for on Google - I know that the physical disc release of Undead Nightmare also includes the 'Legends and Killers' and 'Liars and Cheats' DLC but does it also include the original game like the GTAIV 'Ultimate Pack'?
No, but it does have the map, assets, and etc of the base game and can thusly be played without the main game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

There's pretty much a 'GOTY' edition that'll get you base game, dlc and Undead Nightmare.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"

5er posted:

There's pretty much a 'GOTY' edition that'll get you base game, dlc and Undead Nightmare.
Thanks for flagging this - on amazon it's marketed as having a new 'hardcore' single-player version - I assume that's an additional mode and I can still play the game in regular sissy version if I choose?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jeremys Iron posted:

Thanks for flagging this - on amazon it's marketed as having a new 'hardcore' single-player version - I assume that's an additional mode and I can still play the game in regular sissy version if I choose?

Correct. Although the hardcore mode does own bones. Especially if you play with the minimap off, it's seriously like a whole new game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
And minimap should really only be on for bounties and maybe some races. Otherwise, it's not like GTA where you can make a wrong turn.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 6, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jeremys Iron posted:

Yep, totally optional. It's even a setting toggle I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Did they ever release hardcore mode as a separate download for those who had already purchased the game and DLC?

• Locked thread