Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
The obvious solution is that they should have taken advantage of the cheaper print rates by getting extra deluxe copies printed. Then they should have removed any cards from the sets that people didn't pay for and burn them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
If only the government put demands on the safety of drinking water to make sure it's OK to drink. Sadly, no such enforcing regulating bodies exist whatsoever. Every sip of water you take could potentially be your last. Welp, better buy this conductometer for my mobile phone and test out every single bottle I buy before drinking any of it. That doesn't mean I am paranoid or crazy at all!

For a company that employs people from so many different academic backgrounds, you'd expect that at least one persons knows the conductivity of pure water isn't precisely zero. You'd also expect them to know that 'pure' water devoid of minerals isn't what you should be encouraging people to drink.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

senrath posted:

I really should've explained better when I made that post, but I was tired and a little cranky. See, my big problem with how things turned out with Story War wasn't that I'm not getting everything I "paid" for (really, donated for). My problem is their apparent uncaring attitude towards these problems.

First off, the Kickstarter ended in March. It wasn't until last week that it was revealed that any cross promotional backers that backed at the Deluxe level effectively donated $20 more than (at least some of them) would have. Their response to this was to put together a list of everyone affected, and they'd be getting a month early access to something neat! But, oh, wait, after that month it's free to anyone.

Then yesterday they revealed that no one would be getting the Rogue card, and declared that it was too late to do anything, sorry, everyone affected also gets access to the neat thing, which turns out to be some music they're making based on the location cards in the game.

So to sum up, I'm not too annoyed that the mistakes happened (although one of them could have been prevented if they'd asked about printing costs of their promo stuff ahead of time), I'm annoyed at their responses to the mistakes.

I think people are giving you a hard time because it's an issue of relativism. In a traditional games thread, your complaints might be a big deal. Here, however, it's like you're sitting in an ER waiting room next to someone who just got half of his body blown off from a Kickstarter IED and you are explaining to the triage nurse your problem with inexplicably damp feet. This is a war, soldier. The enemy has 200 microwallets coming right for us.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zybourne Clock posted:

If only the government put demands on the safety of drinking water to make sure it's OK to drink. Sadly, no such enforcing regulating bodies exist whatsoever. Every sip of water you take could potentially be your last. Welp, better buy this conductometer for my mobile phone and test out every single bottle I buy before drinking any of it. That doesn't mean I am paranoid or crazy at all!

For a company that employs people from so many different academic backgrounds, you'd expect that at least one persons knows the conductivity of pure water isn't precisely zero. You'd also expect them to know that 'pure' water devoid of minerals isn't what you should be encouraging people to drink.

Then there's the other problem how for water the other enemy is all the GI destroying pathogens.

But no fear, a simple conductivity test is all you need for your overpriced bottle of water.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I haven't seen any mention of this SeaSteading related IndieGoGo campaign in this thread, and I wonder how they managed to fly under our radar for so long considering their campaign started on the third of august. For those of you who don't know, the SeaSteading Institute aims to build a fully sovereign artificial island nation somewhere in the ocean so its inhabitants can be freed from that cruel human invention called 'law'. The project is supported mostly by crazy libertarians, including one of the PayPal founders. In the past there have been threads on GBS about SeaSteading and other libertarian micronations, which have spawned some excellent literature.

The bold captain of industry leading the project has finally decided to call in some outside help from an architectural firm, which has managed to talk them out of building a platform in the middle of the ocean. Instead the institute now plans on founding their city near some country's coastline, which would make it easier to restock the island with food and water. A slight problem: if they're not in international waters, they're subject to the rules of whatever country they're closest to. Luckily they've got a plan for that:

quote:

In other words, we are seeking a contract with a host nation which will grant the floating city substantial autonomy within its territorial waters in exchange for the economic, social, and environmental benefits the seastead will bring to the country.

They'll just politely ask a country to acknowledge their sovereignty! In fact, they already have a few locations in mind. (Which they do not explicitly name anywhere). I hope hope some country accepts their offer, only to gouge prices for food, water and electricity once the stupid artificial island is in place. When the inevitable whining starts, the host country should simply reply 'free market :smug:' and threaten to raise prices even further.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Let them drink distilled water and the problem will sort itself out sooner rather than later.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Zybourne Clock posted:

They'll just politely ask a country to acknowledge their sovereignty! In fact, they already have a few locations in mind. (Which they do not explicitly name anywhere). I hope hope some country accepts their offer, only to gouge prices for food, water and electricity once the stupid artificial island is in place. When the inevitable whining starts, the host country should simply reply 'free market :smug:' and threaten to raise prices even further.

The First ever Monacan Oversea Colony!

PrinceRandom has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Sep 16, 2013

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zybourne Clock posted:

I haven't seen any mention of this SeaSteading related IndieGoGo campaign in this thread, and I wonder how they managed to fly under our radar for so long considering their campaign started on the third of august. For those of you who don't know, the SeaSteading Institute aims to build a fully sovereign artificial island nation somewhere in the ocean so its inhabitants can be freed from that cruel human invention called 'law'. The project is supported mostly by crazy libertarians, including one of the PayPal founders. In the past there have been threads on GBS about SeaSteading and other libertarian micronations, which have spawned some excellent literature.

The bold captain of industry leading the project has finally decided to call in some outside help from an architectural firm, which has managed to talk them out of building a platform in the middle of the ocean. Instead the institute now plans on founding their city near some country's coastline, which would make it easier to restock the island with food and water. A slight problem: if they're not in international waters, they're subject to the rules of whatever country they're closest to. Luckily they've got a plan for that:

I take it that no one involved in the project ever played Bioshock.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

senrath posted:

I take it that no one involved in the project ever played Bioshock.

They idolize Andrew Ryan. He probably just didn't properly restrict immigration or something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PrinceRandom posted:

They idolize Andrew Ryan. He probably just didn't properly restrict immigration or something.

It's those drat parasites loving it up for everyone, you see.

For the libertarian utopia to succeed, no one involved can be poor.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

FrozenVent posted:

It's those drat parasites loving it up for everyone, you see.

For the libertarian utopia to succeed, no one involved can be poor.

Exactly - that's why it will be such a utopia! One big floating Galt's Gulch filled with industrialists and other captains of industry. No pesky moochers to gently caress things up with their crying about fairness, equality, and all that other bullshit.

What? Oh, you naysayers are such typical libtards, going on about who will do any actual work - haven't you morons heard of the invisible hand of the market? Obviously this invisible hand is going to do it, kind of like that big disembodied white hand on Smash Bros.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Okay, I know sea-steaders are stupid, and so are their ideals, but these architects aren't and I kind of want to see their designs. I like the water and interesting architecture. The mock-ups I have seen and their previous work make me pretty excited for what they will come up with. I would never pay for libertarian love-boat, but I want to see what the architects come up with, so I am glad someone shelled out the $20k

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
For the past two years, this man has spent his life savings on a very special project.

When Nuclear war sends this prison ship on a course to destruction, the lives of 60,000 convicts depend on the most notorious inmate.

Nothing sells movie tickets like a prison ship movie.

^ this is the postcard you get for giving him $35.

He wants $55k for things (like a script and attached director) and to finish the "graphic novel", all so that the studios can't say no. (Spoiler: they can and will.) It's not clear from the pitch why the government is building expensive ships to house inmates, or why a nuclear war would mean that you wouldn't want to be on a ship far away from where the nukes are falling, or why the audience is going to cheer when the rapist and serial killer wings get rescued.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

MrAptronym posted:

Okay, I know sea-steaders are stupid, and so are their ideals, but these architects aren't and I kind of want to see their designs. I like the water and interesting architecture. The mock-ups I have seen and their previous work make me pretty excited for what they will come up with. I would never pay for libertarian love-boat, but I want to see what the architects come up with, so I am glad someone shelled out the $20k

One day there'll be government sponsored arcologies and we will know the future has arrived.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
What stops someone from buying a large reasonably seaworthy ship and just doing this that way? Is there some reason that making it really complicated somehow legitimizes it?

arselinux
Sep 16, 2013

Free as in communism.

monster on a stick posted:

It's not clear from the pitch why the government is building expensive ships to house inmates, or why a nuclear war would mean that you wouldn't want to be on a ship far away from where the nukes are falling, or why the audience is going to cheer when the rapist and serial killer wings get rescued.

Yeah, he's basically putting his life savings into exploding testosterone all over the screen without caring why. What he fails to understand is that this is the kind of movie an established production company does when they just want to make a little profit without putting in much effort/cash. Soon he'll be writing about a struggling homeless entrepeneur who dreams of making movies.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

For the past two years, this man has spent his life savings on a very special project.

I want this guy to succeed at making a movie. There are tons of god-awful KickStarter and IndieGoGo campaigns launched by starry-eyed idea-men and daydreamers who are totally convinced their drek will draw massive audiences to cinemas all over the world. They rarely have a trailer to show, and those campaigns that do have glaringly obvious technical shortcomings that really show the project creators know nothing about how to make a film. (Shaky camcorder material, you can hear the wind blowing in the microphone, the actors are barely audible, etc). INFERNO-2033, at the very least, has an actual trailer. The story and premise are ridiculous, and if he does end up making a movie it could potentially end up being the next 'The Room'.

JDM3 posted:

What stops someone from buying a large reasonably seaworthy ship and just doing this that way? Is there some reason that making it really complicated somehow legitimizes it?

A real captain of industry only provides the idea behind a product. Implementation requires getting your hands dirty and is for the poors.

UNFAIR - Exposing the IRS was a failed IndieGoGo campaign that only raked in about a thousand dollars of its 250,000 dollar goal. That didn't stop the creator from launching a second campaign, in which he claims to have gotten outside funding for the production of the movie, but now needs 50,000 dollars for a bus tour to promote his cause. (The cause being the abolishment of the IRS).

If you pump 5000 dollars into the bus tour, you'll receive 2000 DVDs, 2000 books, 12 T-shirts, 4 signed posters, 4 tickets to the premier, and the producers will also stick a camera in your face so that you are free to go on an angry rant that will be watched by literally tens of like-minded individuals.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

If you pump 5000 dollars into the bus tour, you'll receive 2000 DVDs, 2000 books, 12 T-shirts, 4 signed posters, 4 tickets to the premier, and the producers will also stick a camera in your face so that you are free to go on an angry rant that will be watched by literally tens of like-minded individuals.

That works out to just over a dollar per item. Is the guy behind this project just really pissed off at the IRS because of his own inability to figure out finances correctly?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Cable from Marvel had the same thing.

The only difference was he was a super mutant that could literally float his own Galt's Gulch with his force of will. Entire nations refuse to acknowledge his sovereignty. Refugees, artists and all sorts of hippes could travel there and be citizens. Captain America even liked it.

What I am saying is: Wouldn't it be cool if Seastead was run by super mutants?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

When Nuclear war sends this prison ship on a course to destruction, the lives of 60,000 convicts depend on the most notorious inmate.

He wants $55k for things (like a script and attached director) and to finish the "graphic novel", all so that the studios can't say no. (Spoiler: they can and will.) It's not clear from the pitch why the government is building expensive ships to house inmates, or why a nuclear war would mean that you wouldn't want to be on a ship far away from where the nukes are falling, or why the audience is going to cheer when the rapist and serial killer wings get rescued.

Why is a container ship being used to house prisoners? :confused:

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

Rudager posted:

Why is a container ship being used to house prisoners? :confused:

If there was a nuclear war, why are there helicopters and ships coming after this container ship of convicts?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Zybourne Clock posted:

UNFAIR - Exposing the IRS was a failed IndieGoGo campaign that only raked in about a thousand dollars of its 250,000 dollar goal. That didn't stop the creator from launching a second campaign, in which he claims to have gotten outside funding for the production of the movie, but now needs 50,000 dollars for a bus tour to promote his cause. (The cause being the abolishment of the IRS).

This actually kind of blows me away, because I assumed that scamming the dudes on the streetcorner with the END THE FED signs was so easy you could do it without trying, judging by the sort of poo poo the fall for.

Bushiz has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Sep 16, 2013

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

JDM3 posted:

Hey L Ron Hubbard did it. Why not the rest of us?

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

quote:

2. Lust, for sex offenders, and the legendary “women’s level” in an otherwise all-male prison;

Not sure if he didn't think this through or just a bit of a pervert.....

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Just ditch the whole "nuclear war" angle and instead rewrite it so that Air Force One accidentally crashes into the prison ship, forcing the military to send in a disgraced former soldier to rescue the President.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Great Rumbler posted:

Just ditch the whole "nuclear war" angle and instead rewrite it so that Air Force One accidentally crashes into the prison ship, forcing the military to send in a disgraced former soldier to rescue the President.

No, the apocalypse angle is vital. But change it so it's about a bunch of chain smoking pirates kidnapping a little girl because she has a tattoo that can lead them to the last batch of habitable land.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Great Rumbler posted:

Throw in Nic Cage, call it Con Air 2, make bank.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Throw in Nic Cage, call it Con Air 2, make bank.

I hope you meant to say Escape from the Ocean.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Machai posted:

I hope you meant to say Escape from the Ocean.

Starring Kurt Russell.

Also all of these ideas are better than the one in the Kickstarter.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

jerichojx posted:

Cable from Marvel had the same thing.

The only difference was he was a super mutant that could literally float his own Galt's Gulch with his force of will. Entire nations refuse to acknowledge his sovereignty. Refugees, artists and all sorts of hippes could travel there and be citizens. Captain America even liked it.

What I am saying is: Wouldn't it be cool if Seastead was run by super mutants?

Yeah, Really great idea there.

Also, I would put $20 bucks down on another Kurt Russel Escape movie. Those are the greatest 'get drunk and wonder wtf is going on' movies.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

He probably means Providence/Graymalkin, but the end was similar explosive. And don't forget the building of yet another island nation outside of human nations and their constraints. And still they all are probably more successful than what a bunch of Libertarians would ever manage.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I think its pretty clear that the Seasteaders and the inferno 2033 ( No relation to the metro series!) should do some cross promoting. That way they can both get funded for a movie about a seastead full of wanted convicts escaping international justice and surviving the nuclear apocalypse. With their non-reliance on fiat currency, will these industrious exiles be able to weather the king of all storms? (Answer: No.)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Didn't see this in the past couple pages:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sigmo-talk-and-understand-in-more-than-25-languages

Translator! You can wear it! Also it apparently knows a bunch of languages?

Anyway, this is awful for several reasons:
  • Requiring a smart phone to connect to, so really it's just an accessory for your smartphone (which probably will be hugely expensive in a foreign country due to roaming).
  • The awful grammar and spelling on the Indiegogo page
  • Broken links and pictures on the page

It just feels kind of scammy to me, too. But hey, the free market is speaking and they've already massively exceeded their goal!

EDIT: My internet is crap and the links aren't broken.

turn it up TURN ME ON has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Sep 16, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quote:

Smart Translating Technology. It will allow to get not just an ordinary translation, but to translate the meaning the phrase you said. That is a unique technology that will make a huge step in translating and international communication.
Yes, motherfuckers, you've managed to do what decades of dedicated research still hasn't - accurate machine translation that isn't 90% Martian. If you'd actually done this, you wouldn't need IndieGoGo, the business world would be sucking your dicks non-stop.

Also go gently caress yourselves "ordinary translation", translating for meaning rather than word for word is "ordinary" translation you semi-literate dongs.

But oh wait:

quote:

The translation itself is made through already existing voice translator services (like Google translate).
Ahahahahahahahahaha god drat it.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Another KickStarter that fits the 'maybe you should just give up' category rather well is Cheap rear end Comiks: The T-Shirt!!. Despite the fact it takes two people to create the comics, and despite the fact it's been running for 20 years, this webcomic still looks like something a twelve year old could make in MS Paint. A twelve year old boy would probably manage to make something funnier than these guys too, if their video is anything to go by. They want 500 dollars to make T-shirts that their fans can buy, but judging by their previous crowdfunding attempt those fans seem to exist primarily in their imagination.

I've never heard of this particular device before, but after the OUYA debacle you'd think people on KickStarter would be more careful about backing the next Android games console. This was launched minutes ago, and it already has over 700 dollars in pledges.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

I've never heard of this particular device before, but after the OUYA debacle you'd think people on KickStarter would be more careful about backing the next Android games console. This was launched minutes ago, and it already has over 700 dollars in pledges.

To be fair to them, while the OUYA was supposed to be a games console that happened to run Android, this one seems to be a multimedia center that happens to be able to run a few games. I still wouldn't fund it, but their business model at least seems to be better than OUYA's.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

senrath posted:

To be fair to them, while the OUYA was supposed to be a games console that happened to run Android, this one seems to be a multimedia center that happens to be able to run a few games. I still wouldn't fund it, but their business model at least seems to be better than OUYA's.

My three year old TV already does everything this does other than play a handful of games that I can play on my two year old phone. Way to keep up with the curve, guys!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

My three year old TV already does everything this does other than play a handful of games that I can play on my two year old phone. Way to keep up with the curve, guys!

Yeah, but I bet you can't hack your TV :downs:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I've got an amazing product that turns your TV into a computer. It's called an HDMI cable.

Seriously, it's like ten bucks and you can just plug your PC directly into the telly. We do it at home. IT'S NOT HARD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, I decided to trawl local listings. It was very enlightening.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/791342950/authors-debut-novel-succubus-tear

Christian romance fantasy with demons! Also: "Yes, I know some stuff is misspelled. "microsoft paint" doesn't have a spell checker. Thanks for letting me know, other people I've shown it to have browbeated me on it. Ah, I am a storyteller, not an editor, what can I say?"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1092311331/military-veterans-first-single

Oh come the gently caress on. Your profile pic is a selfie and your project picture is a lovely cell phone pic of you doing a handstand. Put some goddamn effort into it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/118780683/battle-for-the-lord

These are some really inexplicable captions for her pictures. CAMERA REPRESENTS INDIE ARTIST STATUS.

And then... things got weird.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/785931538/dominika777-cosmic-fashion-collection-sping-summer

Where in the gently caress do I even start with this one.

Meet Olga Oleinyk, also known as Dominika777, and her spiritual sister Valeria Lukyanova, also known as Amatue 21.

Which one is a sex doll? Neither! These are two actual human beings.

:psyduck: posted:

The inspirational condition used to help create this project comes to our designer through her meditation sessions. While in a trance, the flow of cosmic energy enters her body during these sessions. She then subconsciously enters into the astral plane; into a state of mind known as the dreaming and traveling plane. This 2014 Cosmic Fashion Clothing Collection project is a product of her spiritual experiences and the direct contact she has with the Universal Energy of Love & Light. During her sessions, memories of her past incarnations on this earth and her life on other planets come to her in great detail.

This entire thing is a black hole of crazy, but hey, it has $66 pledged already!