Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

What the gently caress was the credit limit on that GTC? :stare:
It wasn't a new Jeep. I've never used my GTC so I'm not really sure what limits are like.

I read the schedule wrong and ended up coming in late he day the commander wanted to beat everyone over the head about this douche loving up with his GTC. Which only pissed him off more and he demanded my supervisor write me a LOC. This pissed my boss off because idiots in other shops did poo poo like that all the time and I'd never been a problem before, so he went and drafted a up a tardy policy right afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

I'm pretty sure the limits of the GTC are around 15k if you had decent credit when you applied (as of ~2012). There is a bad credit version but I'm not sure what the limit is on that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

gleep gloop posted:

Did government travel cards used to be really easy scam and recently changed or something? I've personally witnessed about 4 people get in trouble with GTCs. From buying a ton of booze, to paying rent, making car payments and strip clubs. All four of these people thought they wouldn't get caught.

I never saw the rules change, really. I think people just don't understand how credit cards work.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
There was a guy in my squadron who used his GTC like a personal credit card. Of course, it helped that he was the GTC monitor, so he could sweep his spending under the rug. He was later made the IMPAC monitor and soon discovered that wasn't as easy to cover up.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I was an IMPAC holder last time, and they bumped me to the 30k limit card. I fulfilled 2 orders because they forgot I had it and I sure as poo poo didn't advertise.

That card stayed in a lockbox because I'm not an idiot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Military purchasing is a big scary thing. I asked our card holder to order some flux pens, which is apparently a big nono because it's supposed to go through HAZMAT and a bunch of other poo poo. Neither of us had any idea.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

doogle posted:

I'm pretty sure the limits of the GTC are around 15k if you had decent credit when you applied (as of ~2012). There is a bad credit version but I'm not sure what the limit is on that.

A GS-14 from up in the Northeast was up for a spot here in a civilian Army office recently; he had no credit cards or ability to use a government travel card. He couldn't understand why the office here couldn't pay for his plane ticket and hotel room and give him some spending cash so he could come down to interview.

He was up against another GS-14 who flew into Pensacola and took a limo to Mobile, and tried to get the office here to pay for three additional days' stay so she could sightsee in the area. She got the job.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Time for a FDF idiot story. I was stationed at a tiny island off the south coast of Finland as a weatherman. Every MOS or whatever the equivalent is that had only a few people in it was a part of the supply company, and we did oddjobs on occasion around the island as required. This particular day we were tasked to go to a warehouse and move a 2000lbs wheeled AA gun by hand to the other side of the island for some practice crap the AA guys were doing. Since only a few of the supply guys weren't tasked to do other stuff that day we also grabbed the admin clerk and a few other layabouts to help out since pushing that thing uphill wasn't exactly easy.

We get to the warehouse and there's all kinds of crap laying around pretty haphazardly, but we just grab the gun and start pushing it out. The admin clerk manages to waddle into the warehouse at this point, and the first thing he does is trip over something else on the ground and lands face-first into a massive several hundred pound spool of NATO-wire in storage on the floor. I don't know what you folks call it but it's basically just barbed wire except instead of the old style barbs there's little hooked razorblade things running through. Dude starts panicking and yanking and manages to get himself completely shredded. The wounds were mostly superficial but he was gushing all over the place and the warehouse floor looked like someone butchered a pig on it afterwards. After the conscript medic we had stationed there stopped the bleeding the guy got carted off to a mainland hospital immediately on one of the speedboats, but we never saw him on the island again. I'm guessing he probably got the rest of his conscription postponed indefinitely. I feel pretty bad for the guy, but goddamn how hard is it to pay attention when around potentially lethal stuff. He was also kind of a dumbass to begin with.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nurge posted:

I don't know what you folks call it but it's basically just barbed wire except instead of the old style barbs there's little hooked razorblade things running through.

Concertina wire. They have gloves for handling it that are basically thick welders' gloves with a bunch of metal stapling across them. You will still tear up your uniform loving with it no matter how careful you are.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Yeah concertina will ruin anything it touches. It has destroyed so many pairs of my gloves. What happened to that guy was always my fear with that stuff though. I guess look where you are walking.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
that or razor wire

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Guy in my shop said someone broke into his house, stole the keys to his rental car, wrecked it, then brought it back. They busted him on making a false official statement and not DWI... lucky bastard.

Only other stories involve giving paperwork to MPF and then MPF claiming they never received it even though it was the same guy and I had a signed copy with the clerks signature.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Nurge posted:

Time for a FDF idiot story.

Every admin guy I met in the service made me think that taking them out of the office would have been like putting a piglet into a tiger cage.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Here's a funny coincidence. One of our chiefs just retired and immediately gets called to jury duty, whose case do you think they wanted him to sit on?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
I understand that there's a lot of idiots evenly spread throughout the armed forces, but what about in really dangerous or critical jobs? If you watch those documentaries about nuclear subs, aircraft carriers, in-air refueling, or other really technical stuff they always make it look like everybody involved is a complete ace at their job.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Local Resident posted:

If you watch those documentaries they always make it look like everybody involved is a complete ace at their job.

There's the answer to your question.

vains fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 16, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Veins McGee posted:

There's the answer to your question.

Yeah, Carrier on PBS was the closest to showing "Some people are just gently caress ups" and it still held shy of pointing it out in so many words

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Local Resident posted:

I understand that there's a lot of idiots evenly spread throughout the armed forces, but what about in really dangerous or critical jobs? If you watch those documentaries about nuclear subs, aircraft carriers, in-air refueling, or other really technical stuff they always make it look like everybody involved is a complete ace at their job.

The dumbasses tend to get put in timeout when what is going on matters. They are free to wander around and gently caress up the more day to day tasks, but you can be assured that no matter how important they think they are, and no matter how well qualified, they will get stuck on something where they do the least amount of damage while everyone else works around them.

Case in point, we had one wunderkind who happened to be the highest rank in the shop at E5(forward deployed navy bullshit. Tip of the spear my rear end). We were the electronic warfare goons and while this dude was a pro maintenance guy, god forbid he got anywhere near the console or was under any type of pressure. He managed to drop a chaff round over the side his first month on the boat, and not long after that managed to get caught sleeping behind the console in Combat (the place on warships where all the radar consoles and important people are underway and in combat by the department head. He had his surface warfare qualification (the I know what I am doing on a ship qual) but still managed never grasp flight operation, how chaff is affected by the wind, and radio comm procedures which was pretty drat important as we were the controller for the EW operations in the amphibious readiness group.

We had one of our E3's constantly being "trained" by this guy when he was doing anything other than fixing stuff or sleeping. During general quarters he operated the sound powered telephone in the shop and made sure nothing caught on fire. If there was an inspection, major fleet training, or anything involving people watching us and rating how we performed, we loaned him out to laundry until they were gone.

And now that I've started bitching, here's another. His name was Fitzpatrick and he was a CTM2 when I knew him. That is his actual name because gently caress that guy. You know your average m'lady spouting super sperg? That was this guy in spades. He was a fundie to boot.

This dude had been on the admirals flagship in 7th fleet, the Blue Ridge. They just gave him to us in the amphibious fleet, no swap or nothing else, just "here, take this free body". If only we had turned them down. :( Fitz was one of those poor individuals who, when they smile, their lips pull all the way back so that their gums are completely exposed. That, combined with his unfortunately small eyes and generally rounded off appearance made him look sort of like that one guy from Hellraiser but with a gut and a complete lack of self awareness.

He never meant to be weird, was never rude, and always tried to be your friend, but goddamn was he terrible at it. He ascribed to that sad mockery of chivalry that some particularly insufferable nerds think is ok, and was downright creepy to women as a result. Used words and phrases like "madam" and "may I assist you" with a disturbingly frequency. He thought it was cool, in the year of our lord 2013, to stand up when a woman sat or stood up from the table he was at. Since we ate on the messdecks he looked like he was doing an all squats workout every meal. He finally stopped that once gals started coming over to our table just to gently caress with him, but he still did it on shore which weirded out the local Japanese in our homeport I am sure.

He was a full bore Billy Graham proselytizing machine, making sure to tell everyone how he was Jesus's #1 butt-buddy at every chance. Not only that, he was one of the ones that thinks their particular hyper-specific reading of the bible was the only legitimate one. We found this out because he got up during a general service, nominally Catholic as that was what the ships Chaplain was, and proceeded to tell said O5 Chaplain how he was WRONG and following his preaching would get everyone in attendance on the path to hell. He apparently had a reputation for this because he is the first and only person I have ever heard of being outright banned from attending services.

I eventually became his babysitter, watching a 25 year old man-child E5 sweeping stairs because he honest to god could not even manage that. They wouldn't even let him repair the equipment he was assigned and trained to fix because he was apparently such a pedantic sperg that he couldn't do anything without rules lawyering/nuking the hell out of it or making everyone around want to disappear him over the side. It didn't help that from E-2 until E-5 he had been allowed to do nothing but shine brass and stand whatever bitch watch they had on hand. Dude had not done anything related to his job and training in 3 1/2 years.

I'm pretty sure they were able to shove him off on some poor unsuspecting bastards in the main battlegroup soon after I left, and I bet they were legitimately sorry for what they had unleashed upon them. Godspeed you worthless bastard. :patriot:

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 16, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Local Resident posted:

There are idiots out there. Fortunately, they're usually identified as such and everyone around them is able to compensate for their stupidity.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 31, 2017

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

E-9s always had a fetish in the Signal Corps for yanking on groundstraps like they were supposed to tether the entire site to the Earth in case gravity reversed or something. It was always my wet dream to see one of them do it on a rainy day and become shortest path to ground for an entire loving Node Center.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
:stare:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

GD_American posted:

E-9s always had a fetish in the Signal Corps for yanking on groundstraps like they were supposed to tether the entire site to the Earth in case gravity reversed or something. It was always my wet dream to see one of them do it on a rainy day and become shortest path to ground for an entire loving Node Center.

Jesus Christ. I can see signal being all retarded about that "Bravo company hammered their stake in almost six inches deeper than Alpha! THIS IS THE NEW STANDARD!" Could you get an award for hammering a stake real good?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

gleep gloop posted:

Jesus Christ. I can see signal being all retarded about that "Bravo company hammered their stake in almost six inches deeper than Alpha! THIS IS THE NEW STANDARD!" Could you get an award for hammering a stake real good?

They threatened UCMJ for anyone caught with a cheater, which led me to asking what was a cheater (cut-off section of ground rod), leading to me actually using a cheater one frozen field problem in Hohenfels. Thanks for the education, Sergeant Major!

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

50 Foot Ant posted:

• He backed a forklift out of a bunker with the forks all the way up and knocked off the backing. He damaged six forklifts in one week even though he'd been told over and over and over DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING I DON'T HAND YOU, YOU loving IDIOT!
  • He pinned me between the back of a forklift and a stack of MRLS because. he was. a moron. He wasn't supposed to get in it, I was walking around behind it, with it shut down and forks on the ground, to check a clicking noise I was hearing (Some of the Hotel-104 MRLS pods made weird clicking noises and we didn't know why at the time, we were trying to figure it out). He got in the forklift and decided to 'help' me by starting it, backing up and pinning me. Then he ran away, leaving me pinned between a 6K forklift and a stock of pods.
  • He'd mix lot-numbers and ammo types if he put them in the bunker unsupervised. He wasn't TOLD to put them in, he'd just 'help' by grabbing someone's forklift and start slamming ammo into the bunkers.
  • He'd knock over stacks of ammo. We're talking 2-3 deep, 3-8 tall stacks that were being bunkered and he'd grab a forklift and hit them too too hard and drop them. Talk about hearing a noise that would make your rear end in a top hat slam shut.
  • During REFORGER 88 he got put on Advance Party with the rest of us hammerheads. He was playing grab-rear end and pointing his weapon at people. He was told not to. He 'proved' it was unloaded by pulling the trigger. And shooting a guy from HQ Platoon right in the back. (That's what got him dropped to 55B)
  • He'd been told over and over and over not to use two of the pumps at Refueling Point 2, and what did he do? Used one of the pumps and caught the whole loving thing on fire. We almost lost the loving site because he ran the gently caress away and didn't tell anyone.
  • His third fire in two weeks spread into the 1K Zone and I had to write up an international incident report because he was hiding in the grass smoking a cigarette and tossed it.
  • He put two of my crew in the hospital by doing what I had expressly warned him not to. He sent me to the hospital when we were stacking 104's and when I reached in to set the rubber pod foot right to match up with the top pegs he reached into the forklift, despite there being a driver in it, and lowered the pod, pinning my arm in there.
  • He almost opened a bunker door on a contaminated bunker that we were waiting for orders to decon and destroy. A bunker that got contaminated because of his stupid poo poo of not knowing what the gently caress he was doing and putting poo poo in badly and making the whole loving stack collapse, rupturing some mortar rounds and.... goddamn it STILL burns me up 20 years later to think of it.
  • I told him to do inventory on a specific loving list of bunkers (all conventional rounds not even his dumbass could gently caress up) and he went into other bunkers (to make sure they'd been inventoried, like his E-1 rear end had any authority) and saw that some nuke rounds hadn't been inspected in almost 6 months, so he started doing it himself. That's a 2 man job, with shielding, and suited up. Luckily we caught him before he did much more than open the first round up. Christ, seeing him bang on the loving internals of that round with a goddamn WRENCH about gave me a heart attack.

Are you sure this guy wasn't some kind of deep cover saboteur?

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 31, 2017

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

50 Foot Ant posted:

:words:

You know, Cold War idiocy.

No, we don't know. Please tell more.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

50 Foot Ant posted:

*An amazing post*

:stonklol: Where the gently caress do they find these people?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

That is literally ten times worse than the most retarded idiot I've ever encountered :stare:

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Huh I guess the old military wasnt the good ol days, I been lied to

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

These sound a lot like the old Humper-Monkey stories. I gotta find those again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

gleep gloop posted:

I had some ham radio guys start talking poo poo about how we grounded something at a conference earlier this year. They're just jealous they don't have a 90 foot automatically deploying tower on the back of a truck.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Yes, 50FA is the late Humper Monkey's brother, IIRC. Those stories are archived here: http://nothotbutspicy.com/para/
I think there is one in progress right now.
I was just finishing up the Ghost Stories thread, too.
I don't think these are fake, but I also don't care if they are. Please post more.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Humper Monkey is dead?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mike-o posted:

Humper Monkey is dead?

Yeah. :(

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
:( gently caress man...

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Has anyone ever had a good black CO in a combat unit?

Serious question.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Were there a lot of fatal accidents over in Europe?
I've heard a lot of stories about guys getting run over by AVGPs and trucks back when the Canadians were over there.