Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Ka0 posted:

I preordered Diesel from BBTS but it comes with some "M3 Crossfire kit" which I assume is the combiner kibble. Am I correct?

Thats the guess. The previous Crossfire kits were the combiner parts for Bruticus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think Diesel looks awesome despite the amount of poo poo that design is getting.

Also, who wants to drop $300 for an iGear set of the 3 original seekers?
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=IGR10044&mode=retail

And then another $300 for the coneheads, then another for the rainmakers, and hey, why not throw in Sunstorm and G2 Ramjet? Before you know it, you in over a grand for crappy iGear seekers!

I would say who in the world wants those, but I know these people are out there.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is he really getting that much poo poo? I kinda stopped following not menasor, if they offer a giftset in the future I might bite. I just saw some pictures and Motormaster looks pretty decent.

I sound like a broken record about this but man I suspect Paladin/Chaos isn't gonna arrive in September after all :smith:

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Revolver Bunker posted:

Does anyone have the Generations Deluxe Orion Pax toy? He looks pretty solid in the pictures but is he actually a nice mold to own or kind of hollow like the Bruticus toys?

It's a sort of an unexpected transformation, but I am happy with him and don't think he's hollow like the FOC Combaticons.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think Diesel looks awesome despite the amount of poo poo that design is getting.

And then another $300 for the coneheads, then another for the rainmakers, and hey, why not throw in Sunstorm and G2 Ramjet? Before you know it, you in over a grand for crappy iGear seekers!

I would say who in the world wants those, but I know these people are out there.

And these aren't even MP scale seekers, they're 7.5", so voyager sized @ $100 each.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

strangehamster posted:

It's a sort of an unexpected transformation, but I am happy with him and don't think he's hollow like the FOC Combaticons.

He's okay, but mine's left hand likes to pop out and won't stay in. Maybe I'll take a hobby knife and sandpaper to him and see if I can get it to work...

Stealth bomber Megatron is really disappointing. He looks good in photos, and heck, he looks good period, but when you pick him up and feel him in your hands you go "ick." He's so hollow and loose and doesn't peg together well. Out of the wave, I didn't grab the Bumlebee, but I looked at him in the store, saw that he had two completely different shades of yellow that don't even resemble each other and was like "nah" and put him back on the peg.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but out of this wave, the only one I really dig is Trailbreaker, and he's far from perfect. His arms don't really peg in and instead just loosely rest on his mirrors, in robot mode you can't put his shield on his back without folding up his force-field generator, and his truck mode is really, really odd - the cab has this strange, reinforced military look, and the force-field generator doesn't remove or fold down, so if you take off his backpack\shield it looks REALLY weird.

With Trailbreaker and Hoist I almost feel obligated to get those upgrade kits to fix them, and even then their truck modes will still look weird, especially if you take the extra parts off. I would have preferred that you could take off the camper \ tow-hook on them and just have them look like normal pickup trucks.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Yeah I like Orion Pax but his alt mode is sort of poo poo. There are some big gaps and weird proportions around his cab. I like the notion of it quite a bit but it doesn't quite deliver.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Orion Pax is actually my favorite of the IDW deluxes. He has enough articulation to get into some pretty cool poses, and he can hold his axe two handed, including over his head looking like he's about to to a two handed strike downward. And I really like the paint apps on his face, especially the blue on the eyes.

Trailcutter is a close second, mostly because I really like the way the chest compresses down, but I wish that his forcefield generator could fold out of the way. I'm still on the fence about the add on kit for him and Hoist, but I'll probably end up getting it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

therealjon_ posted:

For those who've been waiting, BBTS put up the preorder for Diesel (not-Motormaster) at $119.99 for the next week or so then it goes up $30.

$120 was about where I wanted it to be so yay for that.

Just about every TF forum is having meltdowns over the fact that Diesel is going to cost...pretty much exactly as much as most people thought he would. The conspiracy theories are highly entertaining.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Blackheart posted:

Is he really getting that much poo poo? I kinda stopped following not menasor, if they offer a giftset in the future I might bite. I just saw some pictures and Motormaster looks pretty decent.

The thread at TFW is an absolute shitstorm, plus the general view (read: 8 out of 10 fans) isn't favorable due to panelforming/colors/not having tiny truck feet on robot mode/ being a saggitarius/ you pick your peeve.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I can sort of understand why some might not like him as he has a lot of kibble and combiner ports sticking off his arms, but come on, he looks really good and is a dead ringer for G1 Motormaster. What more do people want?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Besides the combiner ports kind of look like exhaust pipes in his shoulders... This fandom, I swear.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm one :(

I'm still down for the big three seekers at $100 a piece, that's what I paid for the Hercules bots. I just really want some seekers made out of planes newer than the 1970's, that don't turn into flat chicken-bots. I'll probably pass on the coneheads though, unless I'm really blown away by the main three. I'm not really sure how those alternative wings would work on the F-22 body anyway.

And gently caress the Rainmakers.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

Besides the combiner ports kind of look like exhaust pipes in his shoulders... This fandom, I swear.

Nah, they still look pretty obviously like connector pegs, but it's not nearly as bad in color. Without them he'd just be a bunch of boxes, anyway, so at least it helps break up his silhouette a bit.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yea, I guess I tend to rationalize things like that. Like, yes, Maketoys Bonecrusher and Scavenger have giant combiner port pieces in their backs but I fool myself and see them as construction vehicle parts.

Knormal posted:

I'm one :(

I'm still down for the big three seekers at $100 a piece, that's what I paid for the Hercules bots. I just really want some seekers made out of planes newer than the 1970's, that don't turn into flat chicken-bots. I'll probably pass on the coneheads though, unless I'm really blown away by the main three. I'm not really sure how those alternative wings would work on the F-22 body anyway.

And gently caress the Rainmakers.

I... try to like these, but the weird heads and thin arms are just too much. But like you, there are a lot of people who seem to like them so good for iGear I guess? I'll be the last to judge other TF fans' tastes since I like things like PCC and most Beast Hunters.

Speaking of BH I hope I can get my mitts on Prowl and that Black/Gold/Blue Bumblebee, they look pretty rad. Also hope the Predacons rising subline somehow shows up here, those are target exclusives in the US, right?

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I can sort of understand why some might not like him as he has a lot of kibble and combiner ports sticking off his arms, but come on, he looks really good and is a dead ringer for G1 Motormaster. What more do people want?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a picture from TFCon where the combiner ports were hidden; folded into the shoulders.

Also, that TFW thread is amazing, the perfect storm of idiocy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

Speaking of BH I hope I can get my mitts on Prowl and that Black/Gold/Blue Bumblebee, they look pretty rad. Also hope the Predacons rising subline somehow shows up here, those are target exclusives in the US, right?
You're from where? They're exclusive to other stores in other countries, I believe. Might see them.

Man on that note it really saddens me they're never going to do a different character repaint of the BH Arcee. I like the mold, but I don't really want two Arcees.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
I don't think FP Menasor looks that great and I'd be happy if another company took a crack at him, and I think the price on Motormaster is a little steep.

The reactions on TFW are pretty embarrassing though.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Peter Bazooka posted:

I don't think FP Menasor looks that great and I'd be happy if another company took a crack at him, and I think the price on Motormaster is a little steep.

The reactions on TFW are pretty embarrassing though.

I'd say he looks about as good as Menasor is going to look. As for the price, all five together are $360, which is only $5 more than Maketoys Giant, a comparably sized combiner with comparable engineering. Seems about right to me.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

Keldroc posted:

I'd say he looks about as good as Menasor is going to look. As for the price, all five together are $360, which is only $5 more than Maketoys Giant, a comparably sized combiner with comparable engineering. Seems about right to me.

I think you're giving 3rd parties too little credit. I'm sure one of them could put together a Menasor that looks substantially different and satisfies the people like myself that aren't into FP's aesthetic.

As for the price, well fair enough.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I dunno how different you can really make a truck with four cars plastered on it. A different version could eliminate the shoulders to give him a fully freestanding head, I guess. Reverse the cars to the back of the legs so it's more G1 toy accurate, maybe. But really, anything's an improvement when this is your baseline.

I think FP Menasor looks pretty drat great. And as far as I'm concerned, they nailed the four limbs individually as robots and cars, which really work with FP's style.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Except Giant is 6 figures. I bought Intimidator and Yellow Giant so I give zero shits but I can see the point of others.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Rage posted:

Except Giant is 6 figures. I bought Intimidator and Yellow Giant so I give zero shits but I can see the point of others.

And Motormaster is easily twice the size of a Giant component figure. It's the same amount of plastic in the end.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

And Motormaster is easily twice the size of a Giant component figure. It's the same amount of plastic in the end.

He is? Or truck mode is with all the kibble. Important distinction.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Rage posted:

He is? Or truck mode is with all the kibble. Important distinction.

Judging by the size of the limb cars compared to him he's at least a Voyager size in robot mode.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Gammatron 64 posted:

What more do people want?

The original 1984 cast of transformers, portrayed as they were in the tv show and in toy form, over and over.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I dunno how you look at this and tell me it looks terrible.

With his trailer kibble on, Fansproject Motormaster looks like Motormaster crossed with the Gundam GP02A Physalis. This is not a bad thing. No, it makes him look bad. REAL bad. BADASS. :hellyeah:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I was having a conversation with one of the FP designers at TFCon, and he says that every FP headsculpt is meant to look like a movie actor. Now is it just me or does Diesel look a bit like Vin Diesel, or do I just WANT to see it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It's weird hearing people bitch about "kibble" and "partsformer" when half my toybox as a kid basically consisted of "lay down, fold legs and pretend his face isn't just sitting there right under the car"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rei_ posted:

I was having a conversation with one of the FP designers at TFCon, and he says that every FP headsculpt is meant to look like a movie actor. Now is it just me or does Diesel look a bit like Vin Diesel, or do I just WANT to see it.

I... don't see it. Its hard to make traditional Japanese super robot faces look like real human faces because they're kind of made of geometric shapes. Rectangle for a nose, triangles for cheeks, wide pentagons for eyes, isosceles trapezoids for chins... and often oddly human-like mouths and lips.

I've noticed that tons of Japanese super-robots look like this, and I think this style originated with Brave Raideen, although it obviously carried over into Transformers, Super Sentai\Power Rangers, the Brave series, Golion\Voltron, God Mars, Combattler V, Big O and so on.

A part of me really wishes that instead of making creepy robots that look like Japanese girls with rubber skin, today's roboticists would make robots that look like 1970s/80s Japanese super robots. Instead of just a lightbulb, give petman a head that has a silver face made out of rectangles, and has like, a V-fin or big horns or something. And put a big logo like an eagle or a lion head on his chest. And maybe a sword. That's on fire. That's how robots should look.

And you know Big Dog? I think people would like Big Dog better if it had a head. And looked like Rush from Mega Man.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 17, 2013

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dunno how you look at this and tell me it looks terrible.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to TFs this month, so I've only heard the dull roar of people complaining about Diesel but I didn't plan on buying any of that team anyway. So I was reading this page, just skimming more bickering about it, and then I got to these pictures. I have absolutely no horse in this race (and never planned to, I'm fairly indifferent to most of the stunticons), so as a relatively impartial observer I gotta tell you that yeah that thing's pretty hosed up. Maybe if all of them looked like robots wearing an entire trailer on their back and shoulders it would kind of gel, but he looks more like he wandered in from another franchise than all his teammates.

I'm pretty used to Fansproject's B- work at A+ prices, but even by their standards...bleh. I wish that instead of developing 10 toys, then delivering 4 that are kind of half-assed, they could just take it to the finish line and give Ultra Magnus a decent face, avoid ridiculous kibble issues, and meet release dates consistently.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I'm struggling a bit here. Which FP toys have had trouble meeting deadlines, and which had kibble issues?

(an honest question--not saying you're wrong)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

quote:

Maybe if all of them looked like robots wearing an entire trailer on their back and shoulders it would kind of gel, but he looks more like he wandered in from another franchise than all his teammates.

That's because he's wearing the trailer parts as armor, they're fully removable. I mean I also don't plan on getting him for now since the Stunticons aren't my cup of tea, but they look fine compared to pretty much any 3P combiner.

Spiderdrake posted:

You're from where? They're exclusive to other stores in other countries, I believe. Might see them.

Man on that note it really saddens me they're never going to do a different character repaint of the BH Arcee. I like the mold, but I don't really want two Arcees.

Some local big retailers sometimes bring Target Exclusives, so at least there's a possibility. When it's a TrU exclusive we have no chance but to get help from someone in the US.

As you say I'd really like the BH remolds even more if they used completely different colorschemes, or maybe even use them as different characters. Yeah, Arcee looks cool but it's another Arcee. At least BH Bulkheead totally works as Brawn and black Bumblebee looks like an entirely different character. I've gotten all the predacons and really like them, and bought just one remold, Ratchet. The first pictures were silly as hell but he looks cool in person, and he's sufficiently different from regular ratchet to give him a try, he's got some big Dinobot and Dinobot II homages going on and the weapon and headsculpt are great. Getting a closer look at him he's got a lot more remolding going on than I initially thought.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Wasn't Diesel actually originally announced as part of a different product line? He does have a different designer than the other 4. Personally, I think he looks better with all the stupid trailer stuff piled on. It's silly enough to entertain me.

Now, what I truely don't get is the outrage over the new igear seekers. Them only being in three packs is a legit complaint, but 100 bucks each is fairly normal for the size, and these aren't a literal KO like the other seekers they did. If I could swing the money for that Thundercracker alone, I'd be tempted.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Comes from a different series?

+

That said, interestingly, Diesel seems to be more based off cartoon Motormaster, whereas his fellow stunticons are based on the G1 toys instead of the cartoon. Or well, Diesel is very much a hybrid, as he has a head more like the toy's, but within a smaller box like the cartoon's, and has a very G1 cartoon chest.

I really kind of wish that Dead End had a mouth plate and looked more depressed and Wildrider had his trademark ear spikes but I'll live. Again, they're based on the G1 toys, not the G1 cartoon. I'm going to display them combined, anyway.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I am unable to leave my combiners alone (the few I have anyway). Part of the fun is taking them apart and putting them together! With Giant I don't do it as often because it takes like an hour to do them all and it can make your fingers hurt, but part of the reason I forgive FoC Bruticus and all his faults is that you can transform them all in a heartbeat.

That's also why I want a Mobine marine type, I'll probably never put those PCCs down!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Anybody have any thoughts on Hexatron?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Looking at that combined Motormaster, one of my complaints is the same as it has been for a lot of these; those cars on his legs are useless. They' don't turn into legs or something, they're just sort of extensions between the foot and the knee. I would much rather have the car turn into a leg, then the car just slam in there like loving shin armor. I don't care about G1 accuracy myself, I just want cool combiners.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

Comes from a different series?

+

Yeah this basically made me wanna buy Diesel and by extension the rest of the stunticons.

I'm not gonna, cause instead of dropping a few hundred on Japanese plastic, I've got some Japanese sheetmetal & paint to fix, but I really dig on that Motormaster and I have never much liked Motormaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

The original 1984 cast of transformers, portrayed as they were in the tv show and in toy form, over and over.

We still need a Generations Huffer/Pipes.