Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

My indirect rep just texted me to let me know that if I get any individual unlimited upgrades on Verizon that I can transition them to the 6GB plan for the same price instead of 2GB during an upgrade . Don't know how long it's good for, I'll post more details when I get to work.

Is this the same deal as detailed here?

The pricing looks the same, $30 for 6GB and $50 for 8GB+hotspot. The catch was that you have to sign up for the "Edge" program, so you're still taking an unsubsidized phone and giving up your unlimited at the same time.

If that's a different deal, just same price points for the same data buckets, though, then that's not too bad at all.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
That's a different deal, similar pricing though. We don't do Edge at Costco, so it's just for people upgrading from unlimited plans.

Having just upgraded from a phone that had a terrible 4G signal to a phone that gets it anywhere, I can't imagine not having my unlimited anymore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Protocol7 posted:

Ugh, drat. 2GB is bullshit. Hey, here's some ultra fast 4G LTE. Don't bother using it, though, you'll just blow through your 2GB cap in a week and we'll charge you out the rear end for the extra poo poo.

"We have studies showing that the most *MOST* of our customer base uses is ~2GB. Until your wife or significant other finds out how cool Pandora is and runs it in their car constantly, and turns on Netflix to shut your kid up whenever he/she makes the slightest of noises. Then you'll get a thousand dollar bill one month and be forced to upgrade to an enormous data tier because no one likes listening to lovely radio or a crying kid."

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Huh, if that 6GB deal is indeed for subsidized upgrades, I'm going for it.

Better than nothing...

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FordPRefectLL posted:

It's only available if you're upgrading and are currently on an unlimited plan but don't want to switch to share everything.

How soon are they letting people upgrade? I'd ALMOST be willing to lose unlimited for a 6gig cap if it ment I could upgrade to a Maxx without paying 700 loving dollars.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It started on 9/12.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FordPRefectLL posted:

It started on 9/12.

NO I mean, I'm not "eligible" til 6/14

IS this something they would offer to get me off unlimited. Thats my question.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Too bad, my wife just used her upgrade like last month and lost unlimited.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'm chatting online with a Verizon rep now about the Unlimited > 6GB switch. He just told me if I activated my new plan in the last 2 weeks they should be able to change it to 6GB. I'll report back with what happens.

E: Online rep couldn't help so I went to the store. The greeter in the store told me I was talking about Verizon Edge and wouldn't just be able to get 6GB data without signing up for that. I left as I didn't feel like beating my head against the wall.

I'm on the phone with a rep now.

Strangely enough the online chat rep and the phone rep both didn't even question this whole 6GB offer thing and were pretty happy to help leading me to believe that the locals are not so up to date on this offer.

E2: And done. Just call in to Verizon and tell them you want the Verizon Max plan to go from 2GB data to 6GB. As long as you switched in the last two weeks they will do it. They'll need to fill out an application for you and then they told me to wait a day or two and it should take effect. Pretty simple although the phone rep transferred me to tech support to get it all done. Might have better luck doing that.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 15, 2013

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
I'm about 16 months into my contract and sick to death of my Galaxy Nexus, so I'm looking at the iphone 5S, but $750 is a little hard to swallow. How common is it to cancel the line, pay the ETF, then get the subsidized price on a new line? Because that's like $250 less. If I did that, is there an easy way to keep my number?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Nayato posted:

I'm about 16 months into my contract and sick to death of my Galaxy Nexus, so I'm looking at the iphone 5S, but $750 is a little hard to swallow. How common is it to cancel the line, pay the ETF, then get the subsidized price on a new line? Because that's like $250 less. If I did that, is there an easy way to keep my number?

No, if you cancel the line you lose the number.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You can just port to another carrier and pay the ETF IIRC. Then just cancel the other policy and swap back. Not sure offhand who doesn't have ETF's though that would allow you to do this. Maybe a cheap pre-paid somehow?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Did an upgrade transfer today without issue. Kept my unlimited data plan and got the subsidized price for the Droid Maxx, getting everything set before leaving the store. This phone is already the poo poo coming from the GNex. I looked at the G2, but I found the body to feel a little cheap, the back buttons thoroughly weird, and the UI overloaded compared to the vanilla ROM I was running. The screen was beautiful, and a 13 mp camera is nothing to sneeze at, but man I just fell in lust with the Maxx.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

JP Money posted:

You can just port to another carrier and pay the ETF IIRC. Then just cancel the other policy and swap back. Not sure offhand who doesn't have ETF's though that would allow you to do this. Maybe a cheap pre-paid somehow?

You could use Google Voice, but it's $20 I think.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

NO I mean, I'm not "eligible" til 6/14

IS this something they would offer to get me off unlimited. Thats my question.
At this point, no. It is only for upgrade eligible lines.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bam thwok posted:

Did an upgrade transfer today without issue. Kept my unlimited data plan and got the subsidized price for the Droid Maxx, getting everything set before leaving the store. This phone is already the poo poo coming from the GNex. I looked at the G2, but I found the body to feel a little cheap, the back buttons thoroughly weird, and the UI overloaded compared to the vanilla ROM I was running. The screen was beautiful, and a 13 mp camera is nothing to sneeze at, but man I just fell in lust with the Maxx.

I think battery life beats camera and all that other jazz anyway. If you can't even use the phone for a day without aggressive power management, it's just not a good phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm actually tempted to trade my unlimited to the 6gb plan to get back on the subsidized train now that you can apparently do it and not have to go Edge, but there aren't any devices I would want right now (at least not any devices I would want to spend $200-$300 on right now.)

Part of the problem is I'm becoming more and more annoyed with Verizon's control to the point where I'm not sure (for the first time in 10 years) that I want to be on Verizon for another 2 year contract.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I was just in a Verizon store to see if I could get any of the employees to tell me if the 6GB was real so I spent some time with the phones. The G2 is really nice hardware wise, probably my favorite out of the Maxx, S4, One, and Moto X but LG's software is pretty ugly. Side by side with the Moto X and the LG's screen was much nicer looking to me but the non-stock UI (notification drawer in particular) really took a lot away from it. I'm probably being a bit too :spergin: about this. If the rumors are true the the Nexus 5 is a similar device too bad it likely won't come to Verizon.

Also the sales guy kept trying to push edge on me if I wanted 6GB, not sure if I was saying the wrong things or I just got a stupid salesperson.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I am seriously considering pre-ordering the iphone 5C.

I can't understand why people are doing this when you can still get the 5 everywhere right now for the same price.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

bull3964 posted:

I'm actually tempted to trade my unlimited to the 6gb plan to get back on the subsidized train now that you can apparently do it and not have to go Edge, but there aren't any devices I would want right now (at least not any devices I would want to spend $200-$300 on right now.)

Part of the problem is I'm becoming more and more annoyed with Verizon's control to the point where I'm not sure (for the first time in 10 years) that I want to be on Verizon for another 2 year contract.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately Verizon's network is absurdly better than anyone else's. At least here in Florida. And everywhere else from the southeast, to the southwest. Including the Midwest. (Haven't been been to the northeast but I imagine its the same. Either lack of carrier options, or obnoxious congestion.)

Coupled with the fact that I can make a phone call or pull down data on 3G/text in a crowd of 100k - 300k+ people no problem, and friends with AT&T iphones can't do voice or data in the same crowd, standing next to me... :smuggo:

Blame the duopoly that is Verizon and AT&T.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 16, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Horn posted:

I was just in a Verizon store to see if I could get any of the employees to tell me if the 6GB was real so I spent some time with the phones. The G2 is really nice hardware wise, probably my favorite out of the Maxx, S4, One, and Moto X but LG's software is pretty ugly. Side by side with the Moto X and the LG's screen was much nicer looking to me but the non-stock UI (notification drawer in particular) really took a lot away from it. I'm probably being a bit too :spergin: about this. If the rumors are true the the Nexus 5 is a similar device too bad it likely won't come to Verizon.

Also the sales guy kept trying to push edge on me if I wanted 6GB, not sure if I was saying the wrong things or I just got a stupid salesperson.

The greeter at the door basically acted as if I was just mistakenly talking about the Edge plan. The people on the phone told me the plan rolled out on the 11th and isn't being talked about too much. In fact it was the first time the rep on the phone actually had to transfer a plan so he had to go ask a friend for some help in filling out the application.

I really can't see a better alternative right now if you want a Maxx, G2, etc. than doing the Comcast $100 offer and then swapping unlimited data to 6GB or using Amazon / Best Buy for a cheap phone. I got a Droid Maxx for 200 bucks and essentially kept unlimited data since I've never use anything close to 6GB. I'm happy. I don't require a lot in a phone plan - just give me a nice phone and enough data to actually be able to use it without fearing for overages and I'm happy. I don't expect 100GB per month nor need it so unlimited (for me and a vast majority of others) was somewhat overkill.

I imagine the amount of users using over 6GB per person per month is pretty small anyway. I'm sure someone will come in talking about how they absolutely need 40GB per month or they can't function but those people are pretty rare.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mighty Horse posted:

I can't understand why people are doing this when you can still get the 5 everywhere right now for the same price.

Eh I kinda liked the 3G/3GS design. If I hadn't already just bought a new phone, I might have put in a preorder for the 5C in white.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

JP Money posted:

The greeter at the door basically acted as if I was just mistakenly talking about the Edge plan. The people on the phone told me the plan rolled out on the 11th and isn't being talked about too much. In fact it was the first time the rep on the phone actually had to transfer a plan so he had to go ask a friend for some help in filling out the application.

I really can't see a better alternative right now if you want a Maxx, G2, etc. than doing the Comcast $100 offer and then swapping unlimited data to 6GB or using Amazon / Best Buy for a cheap phone. I got a Droid Maxx for 200 bucks and essentially kept unlimited data since I've never use anything close to 6GB. I'm happy. I don't require a lot in a phone plan - just give me a nice phone and enough data to actually be able to use it without fearing for overages and I'm happy. I don't expect 100GB per month nor need it so unlimited (for me and a vast majority of others) was somewhat overkill.

I imagine the amount of users using over 6GB per person per month is pretty small anyway. I'm sure someone will come in talking about how they absolutely need 40GB per month or they can't function but those people are pretty rare.

I'm over 16GB not even trying this month. I average around 28/mo over the last 6 months. I work 6-7 days a week. I'm never home, I don't even have home internet. If I'm not at work, I'm still not at home (unless I'm asleep). Usually always on the go. If I didn't have unlimited data, and a phone that can crush 18+ hours w.o electricity, I'd be boned.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

bull3964 posted:

Upgrade transfers work to preserve unlimited. I just did it. Yeah, I guess the 6 GB plan is the closest thing to reasonable that Verizon has put out there, but it's still not better.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

JP Money posted:

I imagine the amount of users using over 6GB per person per month is pretty small anyway.

No.

Minimizing people for reasonable usage is asinine. Who are you to tell people they should have to be concerned about how much data they use? This is the problem and why the us is hosed by greed. Because some people actually believe marketing speak.

First "who uses 2gb?". Then 5 and now 6/10. Where do you think this trend is going? Hint: future proofing requires unlimited.

If 6gb is somehow acceptable to you then what you are saying is you deserve to pay more money for less service.

Remind me how traveling down an open road and being told you can only go x miles somehow reasonable as opposed to driving as far as you choose. There is a giant mental transaction cost involved, specifically because it's hard to quantify gigabytes of data (intentionally so).

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I have 4GB of data with Verizon, and it's expensive as poo poo. It's literally cheaper to go over the 4GB and pay the $10 fee than to upgrade to 5GB… because that upgrade costs $20.

The stupid, it burns;

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 16, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Expensive as poo poo? You aren't paying the $30 a month for a whopping two gigabytes of data. :colbert:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Uhhh. Did you forget medication today? I'm not telling anyone how much data to use? I clearly said in that post:

JP Money posted:

I've never use anything close to 6GB. I'm happy. I don't require a lot in a phone plan - just give me a nice phone and enough data to actually be able to use it without fearing for overages and I'm happy.

Are there people that use poo poo tons of data? Sure. If so then I recommend you go ahead and stay on unlimited. You should stop being so mad at Verizon trying to make money because that's not ever, ever going to stop. VZW clearly realized their mistake in allowing customers to have unlimited data and have corrected that to make even more money for their business. I don't like it but until "the us" creates a company with as good of coverage as Verizon with cheap subsidized phones and unlimited text/calls/data for less I don't foresee this changing. You'll note that I said "I" am happy with this plan. There are alternatives for you if you feel upset by it.

I don't really get where you're going with this road analogy. You're acting like the road is a commodity just like data is on wireless plans? It did in fact cost Verizon to put up cell towers and create the infrastructure... I'm sorry you feel slighted that you do indeed have to pay for this and that, no, you can't just have as much as you want. If you feel like they're taking "are freedoms" you should really write a letter to Verizon or something. Big companies like to screw customers out of money if they can... that's been the wireless market for pretty much forever.

To be clear I don't agree with the pricing structure of data plans either but you're going a little tinfoil with that last post.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

Expensive as poo poo? You aren't paying the $30 a month for a whopping two gigabytes of data. :colbert:

Yeah, I "lucked out" when I got the phone as they were offering double data plans at the regular plan prices. $100/mo for 12GB… I'd hate to see what they'd want to charge for unlimited.

I generally manage to stay within the 4GB, occasionally going over it. My current cycle ends 10/7 and I've used just under 1.5GB so far.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DominusDeus posted:

I'd hate to see what they'd want to charge for unlimited.

Technically, they charge $58.98. That's basically what I've accepted that my unlimited costs right now, $29.99 grandfathered dataplan and $350 subsidy over 12 months.

So, from that perspective, I could live with paying half that for 6gb of data (honestly, I rarely hit 2 as it is). There's just no phones out there right now that would entice me to do that over my MAXX HD.

bam thwok posted:

Upgrade transfers work to preserve unlimited. I just did it.

I'm on a single line account so that's not really an option.

At this point, I'm more or less waiting it out to see how VoLTE pans out with respect to 700mhz open access. If I can buy a Nexus 6 next year and keep my unlimited, I'll likely stay put. If not, I'm probably going to investigate greener pastures.

If at any point between then and now they try to force me off my unlimited, I'm gone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 16, 2013

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I'm super happy with a 6GB plan myself, and with my planned 5S purchase this Friday, its good timing. I've only gone over 3ishGB twice, and its been in the last 2 months when I've had to travel and tether which I almost never do.

The overall principle sucks though, I wish they had handled it more like AT&T did - something I thought I'd never say.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
If I were to use the phone as I'd like to (without dealing with wifi),I'd easily hit over 20GB in a month without even trying. That's just from google music, photo uploads, and pretty basic use. That's not power user, because with youtube that'd hit 30GB+.

I think people are forgetting that the only reason you are forced to seek out wifi on the phone is because of caps and/or coverage issues. Before caps existed (and also because phones were less efficient with wifi), people wouldn't have wifi on 24/7 and/or use a wireless AP at home/work whenever possible.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

No.

Minimizing people for reasonable usage is asinine. Who are you to tell people they should have to be concerned about how much data they use? This is the problem and why the us is hosed by greed. Because some people actually believe marketing speak.
Thank you for this. Seriously.
Everybody knows there's no reason for data caps other than sheer price gouging and no one gives a poo poo because it doesn't affect them.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think people are forgetting that the only reason you are forced to seek out wifi on the phone is because of caps and/or coverage issues. Before caps existed (and also because phones were less efficient with wifi), people wouldn't have wifi on 24/7 and/or use a wireless AP at home/work whenever possible.

I look for wifi because it tends to be faster and more reliable than 4G, and easier on my phone's battery. Maybe my market got the half-assed buildout, or is overloaded.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
So,I have an unlimited plan with a contract up in December. I love my number and have no plans to give it up.

Am I correct that the only way to figure my ETF is to call and ask. I obviously do not have the signed contract from 18 months ago and can't seem to find it online.

Am I correct that I cannot sell my unlimited to someone else without giving up my number?

I moved to somewhere with mediocre Verizon coverage. So, if I have to give up unlimited anyway I might as well give T Mobile try and if that sucks move to AT&T. That and I want the new Nexus whatever. I have an old VZW Nexus and I don't like the idea of having a locked bootloader and no control over what is on my phone.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 17, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

iostream.h posted:

Thank you for this. Seriously.
Everybody knows there's no reason for data caps other than sheer price gouging and no one gives a poo poo because it doesn't affect them.

Did I miss a change in wireless technology in the last year that removed the limits of wireless bandwidth?

Wireless carriers arguably charge too much for most/all of their services, but wireless spectrum is a limited commodity shared between users and VZW services wouldnt work for poo poo if everyone used it like some of the people in this thread.

But it was their mistake to every offer it as unlimited if they couldn't supply it. And that is something that they are trying to fix.

To these people who say they are gone if they are forced off, Iam curious which carrier they will switch to. Att is the next best network, but they dont have unlimited anymore. Tmobile and sprint do but tmobile throttles and sprint is functionally usless in most areas.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You can figure out the fee for yourself; ETF for a smartphone line is $350 minus $10 for every full month.

So if your contract were up 12/31, then you have run out 20 months so far and your ETF is $150. If it was 12/1 then you have had 21 full months and it's $140.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Did I miss a change in wireless technology in the last year that removed the limits of wireless bandwidth?

Wireless carriers arguably charge too much for most/all of their services, but wireless spectrum is a limited commodity shared between users and VZW services wouldnt work for poo poo if everyone used it like some of the people in this thread.

But it was their mistake to every offer it as unlimited if they couldn't supply it. And that is something that they are trying to fix.

To these people who say they are gone if they are forced off, Iam curious which carrier they will switch to. Att is the next best network, but they dont have unlimited anymore. Tmobile and sprint do but tmobile throttles and sprint is functionally usless in most areas.
All cell tower based companies are forced to limit bandwidth somewhat severely until some clever billionaire chap that puts them out of business with an affordable low earth orbit geosynchronous satellite network. Think Iridium but with competent management.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

All cell tower based companies are forced to limit bandwidth somewhat severely until some clever billionaire chap that puts them out of business with an affordable low earth orbit geosynchronous satellite network. Think Iridium but with competent management.

I mean I know that 1.5Mbit is like faster than Sprint service in 90% of their locations currently but :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

You can figure out the fee for yourself; ETF for a smartphone line is $350 minus $10 for every full month.

So if your contract were up 12/31, then you have run out 20 months so far and your ETF is $150. If it was 12/1 then you have had 21 full months and it's $140.

So, if I read that correctly, the lowest it'll go is 110, then to 0 when the contract runs out.

Thats some bullshit.

• Locked thread