Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I... I mean... It's beautiful.

Callipygian, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

My greatest regret is not pledging for butts.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cthulhu Wars released a digital art book. It's some really nice art if you aren't already sick of the Lovecraft aesthetic (tentacles loving everywhere).

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Jordan made Mage Knight and Hero Clicks, and his last minis game had some cool mechanics but was a pretty uninteresting IP. Maybe he can catch lightning in a bottle again with this game, but I won't know until it is available in retail.

He also helped invent the alternate reality game and Shadowrun. On the other hand, Nanovor didn't go anywhere much and Pirates of the Spanish Main didn't wind up having legs. Still, I'm glad he's out there trying crazy stuff and I will keep sending him money to do so because mad genius woo.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Thanlis posted:

He also helped invent the alternate reality game and Shadowrun. On the other hand, Nanovor didn't go anywhere much and Pirates of the Spanish Main didn't wind up having legs. Still, I'm glad he's out there trying crazy stuff and I will keep sending him money to do so because mad genius woo.

Yeah, and even if this new minis project doesn't hit the bullseye, somebody out there has to keep throwing darts at the board, which nobody else seems interested in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Cthulhu Wars released a digital art book. It's some really nice art if you aren't already sick of the Lovecraft aesthetic (tentacles loving everywhere).

They also have shots of the green for the HPL First Player marker.

A certain Kickstarter company offers gratuitous tittie miniatures to increase sales. Cthulhu Wars included a gratuitous tittie miniature, then added a tittie-free alternative at the request of backers who thought a GTM was not fitting. Guess which company advertises itself as selling product for mature gamers?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Woooooooow. That is really good. Goddamn I wish I had gone the other way with this one.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
The Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident has just landed on my doorstep.

Good points:
- colorful, glossy maps
- reprint of an old "grail" game

Bad points:
- no box, just stuff in a plastic bag
- old-school wargame-like counters

Still, I'm glad to see it. It includes the remix game "Artifact", which was one of Phil Eklunds first designs.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Looks like Accursed hit its funding goal with plenty of time still to go.

Congrats, CroationAlzheimers and team.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Krabkolash posted:

Looks like Accursed hit its funding goal with plenty of time still to go.

Congrats, CroationAlzheimers and team.

I was just coming to post about it. Thanks for all your support, goons.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Oh, I saw Accursed just yesterday! it look pretty neat, but I'm confused about the way to get a physical copy? I tend to vastly prefer them to PDFs

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes, I am a bit gun-shy now that I've tried out Boss Monster and found it lacking

Boss Monster is tons of fun for about 4 hours, and then you never want to play it again. There aren't enough "active" cards that screw with other players or the board to make it feel like anything but 4 games of solitaire where the first person to finish wins.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does CMoN usually do after-the-fact pledge increases? I thought it over and now want a giant Frankenstein to go with my Castlevania army.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Kerzoro posted:

Oh, I saw Accursed just yesterday! it look pretty neat, but I'm confused about the way to get a physical copy? I tend to vastly prefer them to PDFs

Clarified in the most recent update. It will be through DriveThru's Print-On-Demance service. They give you the credit for the book, you pay the additional production/shipping costs, DriveThru ships it to you.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Does CMoN usually do after-the-fact pledge increases? I thought it over and now want a giant Frankenstein to go with my Castlevania army.

They did with Rivet Wars. Just add the extras to your post-KS questionnaire.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure they've done it with all of them.

Germ
May 7, 2013

moths posted:

I thought it over and now want a giant Frankenstein to go with my Castlevania army.

That is a fantastic model!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah seriously! I was kicking myself for not adding both him and the not-Bloodthirster - the KS ones come with extra parts if you want to pick up a second and not have twins.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Manifest posted:

Boss Monster is tons of fun for about 4 hours, and then you never want to play it again. There aren't enough "active" cards that screw with other players or the board to make it feel like anything but 4 games of solitaire where the first person to finish wins.

Maybe the expansion will remedy the issue. (As if I'm going to throw good money after bad...) I'll probably just sell the thing and try to recoup my money.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just got linked this by a friend
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1999572498/larceny

If you're able to look past the really really lovely KS page, the game itself sounds pretty rad. If you've played or heard of infinite dungeon by Level99, it seems similar to that, except instead of trying to get through a dungeon and traps, you're committing a major planned heists. I love heists, there should be more heist games. I'm throwing some money at this when I get paid.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just got linked this by a friend
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1999572498/larceny

If you're able to look past the really really lovely KS page, the game itself sounds pretty rad. If you've played or heard of infinite dungeon by Level99, it seems similar to that, except instead of trying to get through a dungeon and traps, you're committing a major planned heists. I love heists, there should be more heist games. I'm throwing some money at this when I get paid.

They sent me a nice little thank you message when I backed them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm throwing some money at this when I get paid.

No need to wait til payday to pledge; Kickstarter doesn't actually take your money until the end of the funding period.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

jivjov posted:

No need to wait til payday to pledge; Kickstarter doesn't actually take your money until the end of the funding period.

My paydays right now are sparse, random and not exactly reliable otherwise I'd have dropped the money already.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I don't know how other people do it but speaking personally I don't tend to pledge to Kickstarters unless I could actually spare the money at that moment, it just seems more sensible to me to ask myself "can I afford this now?" rather than "can I afford this in 30 days from now?" One of those things I can be certain about, the other is a big question mark.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Just got linked this by a friend - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1999572498/larceny

I like story games... but in terms of narrative inspiration it's really hard to get excited by their sample cards. So I'm going to steal the Mona Lisa. But I have to get past the Silent Alarm with my Lockpicks and Bolt Cutter and Sledgehammer. Not gripping me. I think for this game to work, they need a lot of GREAT "seed" ideas, and they're not showing that very well. I don't particularly like, say, Cards Against Humanity, but they did their job well coming up with cards that provoke fun/interesting banter.

Mechanically, it feels like the varying treasures won't affect the game as much or as often as they should. Maybe "location" would have been better as a card type? That is to say, stealing something from an underwater research center is different than stealing something from an army base... whereas stealing a Hope Diamond doesn't feel like it'll be all that different from stealing the Mona Lisa. Maybe if you were stealing an elephant vs. a microchip that could make a fun difference.. but still there's just limited dimensions here for variety (pretty much: how hard is this thing to carry). Maybe different characters would have been good (ie. we'll have a basher type guy to punch guard dogs, but we'll have to also make sure to grab Lockpicks because he doesn't do that.. or something)? Anyway, without that combinatorial explosion for variety I feel like this will peter out far too quick. As it stands, there's just kind of one set of problems and one set of answers.. and not really that many of each.

I think they could also use some art and/or graphic design (they say they commissioned art.. I guess they mean the 3 card backs?). I understand illustrating a couple hundred cards is some work, but the art style that has been established is crude enough that I don't think that's too much to ask. I mean, they are charging for this. Even the flavor text feels phoned in. "Helicopter: Of course I can fly a helicopter, Chief". Why not have repeating characters saying clever things... or, uh, something?

Anyway, I think there's a good idea here - but I think it needs more work in execution.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I don't know how other people do it but speaking personally I don't tend to pledge to Kickstarters unless I could actually spare the money at that moment, it just seems more sensible to me to ask myself "can I afford this now?" rather than "can I afford this in 30 days from now?" One of those things I can be certain about, the other is a big question mark.

Fair enough. I generally look at a project end date and say "when do I get paid relative to this project ending?" and proceed from there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guys if you are literally unable to spend money on a thing until you get the next paycheck, you are "living paycheck to paycheck" and maybe should think seriously about an extended stay in the BFC subforum. Please don't spend your rent money on kickstarter.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not living on ramen to pledge to a Kickstarter, I just find it easier to manage my finances if, when I decide to spend some discretionary income, I deduct that amount from my overall budget right away rather than doing some "oh I'll pledge now but the money won't be spent for a month, I'll catch it on the next paycheck" thing and run the risk of inadvertently forgetting about it in the midst of other bills and expenses. Usually I will just wait until the KS is on the tail end to pledge if it's for something minor where I'm just paying a bit to get a copy of a book or something, but in the case of a limited tier reward (like the one for the Deck of Legends I pledged for) I like to know that I have the money on hand before I go ahead and sign off on it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Leperflesh posted:

Guys if you are literally unable to spend money on a thing until you get the next paycheck, you are "living paycheck to paycheck" and maybe should think seriously about an extended stay in the BFC subforum. Please don't spend your rent money on kickstarter.

Listen my kids can just go without juice this month. Daddy needs his steam punk playing cards and miniatures skrimish game that may or may not include nude lady models.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

Don't worry, my paychecks are all very consistent now that I'm working full time, and "rent" "food" "utility bills" and "emergency money" are all budgeted long before "steam and Kickstarter funds" are.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

Listen my kids can just go without juice this month. Daddy needs his steam punk playing cards and miniatures skrimish game that may or may not include nude lady models.

Look, Indy, I think you've got a problem. I know it's hard to come to grips with it, but together, we're gonna work through this, okay? But first, you need to admit that the problem exists.

You need paints and brushes to go with those miniatures. Now, it just so happens I know a guy who'll give you a good price on those kids of yours.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

JackMann posted:

You need paints and brushes to go with those miniatures. Now, it just so happens I know a guy who'll give you a good price on those kids of yours.

Don't listen to this man, everyone one knows you make more of a profit by selling their organs.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Grey Hunter posted:

Don't listen to this man, everyone one knows you make more of a profit by selling their organs.

Look, Grey, not everyone has time to find a buyer for every kidney and cornea. Yeah, if he sold 'em piecemeal, he could get a better price, if he could find someone for everything. But who has time for that? Me and my buddy, we offer a service. We know the buyers. We take some money for our share, sure, but we get him that cash immediately, when he needs it. Not maybe get it over the next few months while frantically searching Burkeslist for "Wanted: Liver" ads.

Anyway, some Kickstarter stuff: The Shadowsea Guys are back. You might remember their failed Kickstarter from about a year ago, and the mini-kickstarter they did a bit later. I don't know a damned thing about their rules (I don't really do wargaming), but I bought some of the models, and the sculpting's pretty cool. Not sure if I'll get into this one, with Bones II and Stonehaven Elves around the corner, but I'm thinking about it.

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008

JackMann posted:

Anyway, some Kickstarter stuff: The Shadowsea Guys are back. You might remember their failed Kickstarter from about a year ago, and the mini-kickstarter they did a bit later. I don't know a damned thing about their rules (I don't really do wargaming), but I bought some of the models, and the sculpting's pretty cool. Not sure if I'll get into this one, with Bones II and Stonehaven Elves around the corner, but I'm thinking about it.

Their models are indeed pretty great, but this kickstarter has the same pretty terrible value as the old one. You get around 20 % discount, and so far none of the shown stretch goals are for anything free, just more options that you can pay for. Not much reason to pledge now instead of getting it from an online retailer for same price or less when they're out.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Urgh. Does anyone know what the hell is going on with Walk the Plank? Apparently loads of people in the United States have received their copies, but nobody knows what's going on with European customers.

The company reps haven't commented or answered questions in nearly a week and the last mention about any kind of shipping was on the 2nd when they said they were going to get the rest of the orders "can be knocked out quickly". And since then, nothing. No shipping codes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Just FYI, I got my copy of Better Angels on Monday (the 16th). If you get sent a mailing from PSI (Publisher Services Inc.), I believe that's the fulfillment company being used.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Accursed reaches its first stretch goal. Now we can have a full-color book!

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

[EDIT] wrong thread, apologies

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Leperflesh posted:

A lot of the time that is what living on a budget means!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

jivjov posted:

Don't worry, my paychecks are all very consistent now that I'm working full time, and "rent" "food" "utility bills" and "emergency money" are all budgeted long before "steam and Kickstarter funds" are.

Besides, a lot of Kickstarters are using third party shipping now so you can just skip those.

• Locked thread