Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Always play with tile yields (ctrl-y) and hex grids (g) and resource bubbles (ctrl-r).

Agreed except for tile yields, that makes the game way too crowded/messy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have a hard time finishing a game when I start it as Pocatello. I don't know why. Maybe because everything's always coming up Pocatello when I play as him, he's got such a strong start it makes my brain think the whole thing will be on easy mode.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wait, I was actually overselling it. Snow hills are 1h after you build a mine on it.

I like tile yields because it instantly tells you the quality of a tile. And that's crucial if your job is to work as many good tiles as quickly as possible.

I miss Civ4's tile yields, because there a worked tile caused its yield icons to both (a) increase in size, and (b) come into visual focus. But tile yields were much stronger and more important that game.

On the other hand, Civ5 did something clever and arranged the yield icons geometrically. What that meant was that having a yield of 2 made the icons appear in a vertical line, 3 in a triangle, 4 in a square. That's actually really clever visual shorthand and I really enjoy that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are VERY few possible worthwhile snow cities. They're super rare. That one just isn't good enough to offset all the downsides. I'm even not too keen about tundra cities but I'll settle them if there are enough deer and fish around and some other good resources.

This is probably the best arctic city I've had:

80 production, 50 gold, 60 science, and +15 food per turn at size 13 without any trade route help (edit: but I just saw it was a golden age, which obviously helps). But look at that resource density, and I avoided snow like the plague. I actually plopped down that city the turn after Isabella plopped down hers. I had to make sure I screwed her out of every useful tile possible. Oddly, she didn't give a poo poo. Despite portugal's UA, that city provided only one decent trade route.

Since we're posting useless snow cities, from that same game:

Both of them already had plenty of those strategic resources and ultimately did nothing with the extras.

For an even more useless city:

I'm still mad I let him get that silver, I just forgot about that city for a while.

And in closing, I present to you one very special game. I guess everyone here saw Hiwatha was present and wanted to try their best to imitate and impress him:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 17, 2013

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

:buddy:
Gotta get that oil son! And fish, I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, that one is my favorite :). America was in top form that game, they had several other useless island cities I didn't picture. Continents Plus has a tendency to bring that behavior out really strongly in the AI.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
:toot: Unlocked 50% of the achievements. Most of what's left are "win as X" or scenario specific so I probably won't bother.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, that one is my favorite :). America was in top form that game, they had several other useless island cities I didn't picture. Continents Plus has a tendency to bring that behavior out really strongly in the AI.

All of those cities are making me irrationally angry just looking at them.

Is there a mod that lets one go hog-wild with cities and gets rid of the stacking penalties of beakers, culture and happiness?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
let's be fair. That New Orleans city isn't in a bad spot if he's roleplaying.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fledgling Gulps posted:

:toot: Unlocked 50% of the achievements. Most of what's left are "win as X" or scenario specific so I probably won't bother.

Win as X is easy. Scenario specific ones, not so much.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Once a city expands its borders past a 3tile radius is there any point in improving tiles 4 or 5 tiles out (apart from luxury/strategic resources)?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

8 Ball posted:

Once a city expands its borders past a 3tile radius is there any point in improving tiles 4 or 5 tiles out (apart from luxury/strategic resources)?

Unless it's in another one of your cities influence, no. Still better it sit fallow and be yours then work for your enemy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Past 3 tiles out, all they can do is work for the enemy. Because they can pillage tiles for gold and 25hp healing. I already inwardly groan every time I see a barb walk close to a newly built improvement, because I know even if I can take 33hp off in one, shot, they'll heal most of it each turn.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Holy hell, the jump from Emperor to Immortal is staggering. The AI starting with a worker plus scaling up the other bonuses is insane. How do you manage to compete when they can out produce you 3 - 1?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Blorange posted:

Holy hell, the jump from Emperor to Immortal is staggering. The AI starting with a worker plus scaling up the other bonuses is insane. How do you manage to compete when they can out produce you 3 - 1?

The best way to compete is by going to war, since you can out-kill them 30 to 1.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The AI will also be taking poo poo social policies, which means basically anything that isn't this:

1. Full Tradition
2. 2 policies in Patronage to get you Consulates
3. Everything in Rationalism that gives science
4. Everything good in your ideology
5. Who cares, maybe finish Rationalism for a free tech and to get great scientists with Faith if you have any banked

Meanwhile the AI will take Piety, select its religion with a random number generator, then take full Aesthetics or something and still not have enough Tourism to make a difference.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The AI will also go for piety even if it can't found a religion. :downs:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Poil posted:

The AI will also go for piety even if it can't found a religion. :downs:

I've also seen it go Honor and never go to war. Poor Genghis was stuck on a single city for an entire game, going honor, never going to war. Saddest Genghis ever.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

I've also seen it go Honor and never go to war. Poor Genghis was stuck on a single city for an entire game, going honor, never going to war. Saddest Genghis ever.

(it's the result of a slightly weird discussion on Fargle's stream some time ago, I've forgotten who made it)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Blorange posted:

As others have said, war is the great equaliser. Let them produce nice things in their cities, then go and take them. Be aggressive on Immortal, if you get too far behind it can be impossible to catch up. As bad as the AI is at fighting wars, if they have a tech lead and more units, you are going to find it hard to take advantage.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gort posted:

The AI will also be taking poo poo social policies, which means basically anything that isn't this:

1. Full Tradition
2. 2 policies in Patronage to get you Consulates
3. Everything in Rationalism that gives science
4. Everything good in your ideology
5. Who cares, maybe finish Rationalism for a free tech and to get great scientists with Faith if you have any banked

Meanwhile the AI will take Piety, select its religion with a random number generator, then take full Aesthetics or something and still not have enough Tourism to make a difference.

My current game, I somehow lucked into founding the last religion. What were its tenets? Tithe/Pagodas.

Hmm, at least the AI tries to match its pantheon to its surrounding land.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I think I am going to have to abandon a game as Eygpt because it has turned into a massive slog. I had been going for a diplomacy victory, but all of the other civs were heavily diplomatic, and with Hiwatha making GBS threads out cities on every avaliable plot of land, my Religion was being overwhelemed and there wasn't much I could do to stop the free fall, even though I had a really good opening game and got a ton of wonders.

What are some stories of games where you started out really good then couldn't capitalize to a victory? I feel like it's an interesting question, because everyone has different points where they look at whats going on and realize 'yeah, I don't think I can fight back from this.'

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Phobophilia posted:

Always play with tile yields (ctrl-y) and hex grids (g) and resource bubbles (ctrl-r).

I have played every Civ for hours on end and you just made it way better.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I turned off the hex grid after about the first month of vanilla, and I like having tile yields just when I have a civilian unit selected, but resource bubbles should *always* be on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Poil posted:

(it's the result of a slightly weird discussion on Fargle's stream some time ago, I've forgotten who made it)

:stare: NWS that poo poo :cry:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Poil posted:

I don't see anything 'heart-pounding' about it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I turned off the hex grid after about the first month of vanilla, and I like having tile yields just when I have a civilian unit selected, but resource bubbles should *always* be on.

It's strategically better but way uglier, I play on beautifully clean maps. Civ is full of tradeoffs between skill and fun that are probably measurable in some way. Micromanaging city workers gets you a +.75 to what difficulty you can beat, Infoaddict gives you a +.5, resource bubbles is +.25, and so on.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
What exactly do resource bubbles help with other than settling cities?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Hunting for antiquity sites, seeing what resources your opponents have (and which cities you should take). Antiquity sites especially need bubbles, because the tile graphics can bug out and simply not appear.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Tells you the quality of your land, tells you if you've unlocked some new resource, tells you what tiles you prioritise pillaging when fighting someone.

Chamale posted:

It's strategically better but way uglier, I play on beautifully clean maps. Civ is full of tradeoffs between skill and fun that are probably measurable in some way. Micromanaging city workers gets you a +.75 to what difficulty you can beat, Infoaddict gives you a +.5, resource bubbles is +.25, and so on.

Look some people get an endorphin rush every time they achieve some badass micro timing.

Besides, Civ has always been about intimately interacting with the map and exploiting it the best you can. The more data available to your eyeballs, the better you will do. Put it this way, when I move units around, I don't even look at them, I look at the giant icon hovering above their heads.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

rudatron posted:

Hunting for antiquity sites, seeing what resources your opponents have (and which cities you should take). Antiquity sites especially need bubbles, because the tile graphics can bug out and simply not appear.

Oh yeah, definitely sites, those are impossible to see half the time even with the graphics. I usually switch to strategic mode for that though, since it has the added option of highlighting hexes with resources, in different colors for food/strategic/luxury.

I do wish there was a "show only X resource" option though, for trying to sort out where aluminum popped up when the rest of the screen is full of garbage horse/iron/coal/whatever.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Phobophilia posted:

Tells you the quality of your land, tells you if you've unlocked some new resource, tells you what tiles you prioritise pillaging when fighting someone.

Look some people get an endorphin rush every time they achieve some badass micro timing.

Besides, Civ has always been about intimately interacting with the map and exploiting it the best you can. The more data available to your eyeballs, the better you will do. Put it this way, when I move units around, I don't even look at them, I look at the giant icon hovering above their heads.

Oh, definitely that's what winning Civ is about. Personally though I don't really play Civ for the intellectual challenge, I play for pretty landmasses and interesting alternate history. I can still do well but it doesn't bother me to realize I'm playing suboptimally.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

fivre posted:

I do wish there was a "show only X resource" option though, for trying to sort out where aluminum popped up when the rest of the screen is full of garbage horse/iron/coal/whatever.

Better yet, there needs to be a way to centre the screen on each deposit and cycle through them, a bit like the way you can with cities, or units without orders.

whoward has a mod which lets you highlight a particular strategic (or luxury, i think?) resource, but it's a right faff. It means going into strategic view, clicking some dropdown menus and checking boxes, then hunting around for the highlighted hexes (which don't exactly jump out at you).

There needs to be an easier way. Don't suppose anyone knows of a better mod?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KKKlean Energy posted:

Better yet, there needs to be a way to centre the screen on each deposit and cycle through them, a bit like the way you can with cities, or units without orders.

whoward has a mod which lets you highlight a particular strategic (or luxury, i think?) resource, but it's a right faff. It means going into strategic view, clicking some dropdown menus and checking boxes, then hunting around for the highlighted hexes (which don't exactly jump out at you).

There needs to be an easier way. Don't suppose anyone knows of a better mod?

I think the problem of resource hunting would be aleviated somewhat if the game included a proper globe view like in Civ 4. It still to this day really bums me out how incredibly zoomed in the most zoomed out view is. Why did they make that change? It's baffling.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think the problem of resource hunting would be aleviated somewhat if the game included a proper globe view like in Civ 4. It still to this day really bums me out how incredibly zoomed in the most zoomed out view is. Why did they make that change? It's baffling.

It's probably because the game unloads the textures for the world if it gets too far offscreen and if you could zoom out you'd run into trouble with textures not loading/popping in. You can already see this even with the awful zoom level on very large maps, especially the fall of rome scenario.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

uPen posted:

It's probably because the game unloads the textures for the world if it gets too far offscreen and if you could zoom out you'd run into trouble with textures not loading/popping in. You can already see this even with the awful zoom level on very large maps, especially the fall of rome scenario.

Understandable, but that wouldn't be the case with strategic view. There really ought to be a way to view the entire world in one screen - they certainly manage it with replays (albeit with very limited information overlaid).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
On the plus side, at least Civ5 no longer continually steals window focus. Even if you have the "Minimize Pop-Ups" option turned on, it will still steal your focus at your end of turn and drag the screen around, and there's no easy way to temporarily delay your your decisions as you assess the situation. Now, that big orange button to ask you about your next decision is less obnoxious.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Phobophilia posted:

On the plus side, at least Civ5 no longer continually steals window focus. Even if you have the "Minimize Pop-Ups" option turned on, it will still steal your focus at your end of turn and drag the screen around, and there's no easy way to temporarily delay your your decisions as you assess the situation. Now, that big orange button to ask you about your next decision is less obnoxious.

I really wish that the auto end of turn wouldn't fire when there are informational bubbles to read. I like the feature 99% of the time, but I end up having to turn it off because I miss vital messages.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

rypakal posted:

I really wish that the auto end of turn wouldn't fire when there are informational bubbles to read. I like the feature 99% of the time, but I end up having to turn it off because I miss vital messages.

I had to disable auto end turn because when war inevitably starts, I'll have some units parked that I don't get time to issue orders to as a result. I don't want to manually wake every unit before issuing them move orders, that's doubling the effort it takes to mobilize an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
If i was less lazy i would make a mod that puts a "auto end turn" toggle button right beside the end turn button. or clicking end turn when using auto-end-turn should make it not end the next turn.

• Locked thread