Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

I found a lot of the bad ends really interesting. Stocke never becomes an incompetent off-screen; he just about always succeeds and is as competent as when under control of the player, but being only one person can't quite account for multiple motions of a coordinated opponent and his decision ultimately leads to defeat even when he wins the battle.

Alternately, in many of them he succeeds but in such a way that isn't fast enough or is too destructive thus undermining his real goal. Which is never really made clear how or why the thing he's trying to stop is happening and we're not getting a sequel apparently so goddamit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really, the only thing that bothers me about Radiant Historia is (fairly major spoilers) is the stuff with Ernst. They both telegraph it so strongly yet it barely makes any thematic sense. Rosch and Stocke come off as if they've known eachother for years, but it can't have been that long. Supposedly Stocke is the grizzled old veteran as a 19 year old (Raynie is 17!!), which means he would have been like 15-16 while leading the rebellion in Granorg? I know this is the usual Anime/JRPG silliness where only young people can be your heroes, but this is just ridiculous. They also throw out a "Heiss can alter memories" out of nowhere to handwave away how this all went down in the first place with no previous mention that he or anyone else would have that ability. It's a little frustrating because for the most part I'd say the game is written pretty well.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

ManOfTheYear posted:

What's the general consensus on Breath of Fire IV? I remember having lots of fun with it as a kid, even though I never finished it. I think the master-apprentice systerm was loving great.

Just started re-playing it on an emulator.

I'd say 3 is better for a few reasons, but they both suffer from the same issues. Not so good dungeons, some strange pacing, and fuckin' minigames. The small cast of 4 is kinda lame too but Fou-Lu almost makes up for it. The gameplay is good old school stuff though, and don't get me wrong, I still think they're both good games. Now if only we could get a proper sequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Alternately, in many of them he succeeds but in such a way that isn't fast enough or is too destructive thus undermining his real goal. Which is never really made clear how or why the thing he's trying to stop is happening and we're not getting a sequel apparently so goddamit.

It's explained pretty precisely actually. It's the entire reason behind Stocke's backstory and there are sidequests which flesh out the reason more. Almost every failure boils down to "Stocke can't actually solve the problem before the world turns into an endless desert from lack of mana."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's explained pretty precisely actually. It's the entire reason behind Stocke's backstory and there are sidequests which flesh out the reason more. Almost every failure boils down to "Stocke can't actually solve the problem before the world turns into an endless desert from lack of mana."

No I understand the lack of mana is whats causing the desert and there are weapons which drain mana. I guess I was unclear if the mana loss was all due to war or if it was a natural phenomenon or of the books drained mana to do their thing. Furthermore I don't remember an origin for the books or the two guide characters who just sort of exist.

That said I played it for combat and time muckery because you can skip scenes whole praise be.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wish the actual gameplay of Radiant Historia wasn't so boring, I love the premise so much and Stocke is such a refreshing protagonist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

No I understand the lack of mana is whats causing the desert and there are weapons which drain mana. I guess I was unclear if the mana loss was all due to war or if it was a natural phenomenon or of the books drained mana to do their thing. Furthermore I don't remember an origin for the books or the two guide characters who just sort of exist.

That said I played it for combat and time muckery because you can skip scenes whole praise be.

All of that is explained.

The twins are the children of a scientist who began to exploit Mana for the purposes of war. He is also the reason behind desertification because the war machines he made began to suck up mana at a rate where the world was effectively doomed. Part of his research ended up creating the chronicles and the twins ended up as the guardians because they were his kids. One of the sidequests you do actually involves them guiding you towards figuring out an alternate power source in an attempt to redeem their father.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 17, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

All of that is explained.

The twins are the children of a scientist who began to exploit Mana for the purposes of war. He is also the reason behind desertification because the war machines he made began to suck up mana at a rate where the world was effectively doomed. Part of his research ended up creating the chronicles and the twins ended up as the guardians because they were his kids. One of the sidequests you do actually involves them guiding you towards figuring out an alternate power source in an attempt to redeem their father.

Whoa whoa whoa; That's what the dialog at the end of the coconut quest was about. Thanks.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Well I picked up Dragon Quest V (Hand of the Heavenly Bride) on DS and BoF III on PSP around the same time, and man, I love me some Dragon Quest. Nothing wrong with BoF III at all - I think I just love that DQ style. But after playing the first little while of each, I can see DQV is going to suck many hours away. It's actually got me 'nostalgic' to replay DQ9, which was such an amazing game.

Quite bummed that DQ X is not going to be an updated/more of the same, and that an official DQ7 translation for 3DS is unlikely, and that there is no word of an upcoming DQ game on the 3DS. That would have been awesome. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Whoa whoa whoa; That's what the dialog at the end of the coconut quest was about. Thanks.

Yeah, that is a weird sidequest because it is hidden off to the side and seemingly unimportant but is literally the key to solving everything. You don't even realize it at the first glance but it's the only way to get an ending that isn't "and so the ritual sacrifice continues."

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

BadAstronaut posted:

Well I picked up Dragon Quest V (Hand of the Heavenly Bride) on DS and BoF III on PSP around the same time, and man, I love me some Dragon Quest. Nothing wrong with BoF III at all - I think I just love that DQ style. But after playing the first little while of each, I can see DQV is going to suck many hours away. It's actually got me 'nostalgic' to replay DQ9, which was such an amazing game.

Quite bummed that DQ X is not going to be an updated/more of the same, and that an official DQ7 translation for 3DS is unlikely, and that there is no word of an upcoming DQ game on the 3DS. That would have been awesome. :(

It also helps that V is probably the best in the series, along with IX. I think it's a blessing in a way that X isn't going to be coming over, flopping, and poisoning the well even more for the franchise. There's no good reason not to give us that remake of VII though, I thought it was well received enough in it's day and RPGs are popular on 3DS.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Oh I'd absolutely love to see it, and would preorder/sign petitions/whatever nerdly thing would help it see an English translation, but I just think something would have been announced by now. It's no secret that there are a lot of fans who would buy it.

Anyone know what the US/Euro sales were like for DS's DQIV-VI and DQIX?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

It also helps that V is probably the best in the series, along with IX. I think it's a blessing in a way that X isn't going to be coming over, flopping, and poisoning the well even more for the franchise. There's no good reason not to give us that remake of VII though, I thought it was well received enough in it's day and RPGs are popular on 3DS.

Did the DQ VII remake change the way you level vocations? Both that and having to search the entire planet for the one hidden shard you need to advance the plot really killed my enjoyment of that game.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

I'm pretty sure DQ X is doing just fine. They recently announced an expansion for it as well.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Did the DQ VII remake change the way you level vocations? Both that and having to search the entire planet for the one hidden shard you need to advance the plot really killed my enjoyment of that game.

I actually liked the way that you leveled jobs in that game. Since they took so long to max out it forced you to plan ahead with how you made your characters. Though the monster jobs were dumb, and pulling a character from your party who you had probably already customized to fill a role was a dick move. DQ VI handled that particular job system better IMO, especially since it had a larger cast plus the potential for monster party members. (and no pulling characters you already developed out of your party)

Searching for shards was a giant pain though, I'll give you that. Apparently the remake makes that particular aspect easier, though I don't remember how.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

I actually liked the way that you leveled jobs in that game. Since they took so long to max out it forced you to plan ahead with how you made your characters. Though the monster jobs were dumb, and pulling a character from your party who you had probably already customized to fill a role was a dick move. DQ VI handled that particular job system better IMO, especially since it had a larger cast plus the potential for monster party members. (and no pulling characters you already developed out of your party)

I probably wouldn't have minded having to plan in the long term if the game was like DQIX and actually told you ahead of time what abilities you would get from each vocation, and which combinations unlock the upper level vocations. The way it was set up seemed to punish the player for not using a FAQ and just experimenting.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

While I'm on the subject, Im still very early in DQV. Anything I should know or anything :rolleyes: I should be forewarned about?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I absolutely love Radiant Historia's ending too.

You get the big fight, you're raring to go and the whole last few hours have been pretty heavily hinting that Stocke's gotta die to save the world. Then you go through it all, fight the boss, do the heroic sacrifice and THEN it turns out that you have become a loving time-traveling ghost...person...doing secret agent poo poo from beyond death and time. It took a bummer ending and turned it into something loving RAD

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Mill Village posted:

I'm pretty sure DQ X is doing just fine. They recently announced an expansion for it as well.

I'm sure it's doing fine or even well in Japan, but I really really doubt it would ever be anything but a failure in NA.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The big problem with DQ7's job system is that there's a lot of huge no-brainer jobs that the game doesn't actually tell you about and most of the other are active wastes of time. Compare someone who beelines paladin->dragoon-> god hand with someone who picks up pirate, ranger and maybe ends up with hero via sage or tamer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I have heard that those are the two things that were changed, in that vocations are less obscure (and there are no monster classes), and there's a system that helps locate the shards.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 17, 2013

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Some people say the changes they made to DQ7 almost make it too easy. I think they help a lot, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DQ7 was never a hard game in the first place. If you knew what classes were good (or even just blundered into them) you'd just wreck everything forever.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

I probably wouldn't have minded having to plan in the long term if the game was like DQIX and actually told you ahead of time what abilities you would get from each vocation, and which combinations unlock the upper level vocations. The way it was set up seemed to punish the player for not using a FAQ and just experimenting.

I have the Japanese (PSX) version so I don't know whether or not the translated version is any different, but in the back of the manual there's a big list of almost all of the abilities along with the jobs you learn them in. It doesn't list any monster job abilities though.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I just checked the manual for the English version and it has a similar chart.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

dis astranagant posted:

DQ7 was never a hard game in the first place. If you knew what classes were good (or even just blundered into them) you'd just wreck everything forever.

The hardest part about DQVII is playing it on a real PSX where you can't turbo speed your way through the grind.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Million Ghosts posted:

The hardest part about DQVII is playing it on a real PSX where you can't turbo speed your way through the grind.

QFT

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

QFT?
And how would you speed though the grind? Just combat? Or walking speed too?

If this never gets an English release on 3DS then I guess the (emulated) psx version of DQVII it will have to be.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 18, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd get a shepherd leveled up for whistle and auto my way through all the grinding at ludicrous speed. Bonus points if they others rush paladin for vacuum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BadAstronaut posted:

QFT?
And how would you speed though the grind? Just combat? Or walking speed too?

If this never gets an English release on 3DS then I guess the psx version of DQVII it will have to be.

It means "quote for truth", and I thought it was a bannable offense here, or at least probational.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

This thread is a safe zone. Don't alert the feds.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a 100+ hour game that has no business being much over 40. It just keeps plodding on and on and it all kinda runs together as the sea of random battles sucks you in and doesn't let go. The fastest way to the top of the class tree takes something like 1200 battles plus several hundred more to actually get any decent skills.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Got translated Shadow Tower: Abyss working and its pretty overwhelming. The default controls are completely wacky, but luckily they have an option that is kinda standard fp controller. I wandered into a group of red things and text appeared that said "Don't kill capture!" and then they murdered me so I don't know that was about.

I'm a big Dark/Demon Souls fanboy so I want to try more From games, but would starting with a later King's Field game be a better idea?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm a big Dark/Demon Souls fanboy so I want to try more From games, but would starting with a later King's Field game be a better idea?

King's Field 1 & 2 are perfectly playable. Shadow Tower is kinda lovely.

I didn't really get Shadow Tower - Abyss either. You could try the PS2 King's Field but I haven't played enough to know if it's any good.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Breaking news: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/09/17/sega-purchases-atlus-for-14-billion-yen/55909/

quote:

After the revelation came about that popular Japanese game publisher, Atlus, and its parent company, Index Corp, were facing fraud allegations and had filed for bankruptcy, speculation began to fly about what would happen to the beloved game company. After just a few months, however, it looks like Sega Sammy Holdings has purchased Index Corp for 14 billion yen. The acquisition will happen in November, as reported by Japanese news site Nikkei, and will involve a restructuring of the company.

Additional details are scarce, but we’ll make sure to follow this story as it unfolds. No word what this means for Atlus USA.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

It's a 100+ hour game that has no business being much over 40. It just keeps plodding on and on and it all kinda runs together as the sea of random battles sucks you in and doesn't let go. The fastest way to the top of the class tree takes something like 1200 battles plus several hundred more to actually get any decent skills.

So it's a DQ game?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

poo poo fucks. So much for ever seeing any of my favorite cult Japanese games ever again :negative:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Joe Man posted:

King's Field 1 & 2 are perfectly playable. Shadow Tower is kinda lovely.

I didn't really get Shadow Tower - Abyss either. You could try the PS2 King's Field but I haven't played enough to know if it's any good.

King's Field 4(The Ancient City, the PS2 game) is the best in the series, but it's also the hardest and most obscure; your dude moves EVEN SLOWER. 3(AKA 2 here in the west) is probably the most accessible, but I think 2(again, that's 1 here) is a better game, and I doubt it'll make much of a difference, since it's not like 3 is a walk in the park anyway. KF1 is really primitive. I never finished it. There's probably something worthwhile in there, but it'll probably leave a bad impression if it's your first try. It has a funky PC port via Sword of Moonlight, a Kings Field game maker released by From, but that version is busted as hell.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

King's Field 4(The Ancient City, the PS2 game) is the best in the series, but it's also the hardest and most obscure; your dude moves EVEN SLOWER. 3(AKA 2 here in the west) is probably the most accessible, but I think 2(again, that's 1 here) is a better game, and I doubt it'll make much of a difference, since it's not like 3 is a walk in the park anyway. KF1 is really primitive. I never finished it. There's probably something worthwhile in there, but it'll probably leave a bad impression if it's your first try. It has a funky PC port via Sword of Moonlight, a Kings Field game maker released by From, but that version is busted as hell.

KF1 (JP) has a translation patch and it's a little crashy but playable. It's also super short. It's not very good.

King's Field 2 (US) is probably my favorite that I've played but seriously, just go play Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, they're infinitely better games. When you're done with those, play Arx Fatalis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well I guess we're getting our Radiant Historia 2.

It'll be a GREE social card RPG on phones :suicide: