Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
50 foot ant your an interesting fellow

Sorry I trolled your balls off in a gbs breanna manning thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I know it's not exactly in the vein of this thread, nor am I a GiP poster (nor really affiliated with the armed forces at all save as someone who sells alcohol to servicemen); but as an individual who has chronicled and has a pretty hefty folder of the stories of notable posters on the SA forums it saddens me to hear that Humper Monkey passed.

Your brother was a poet.

Edit: Additional Stories

My Blind Study Partner and Me
Every Family Has Its Trash

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 17, 2013

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
These are the best stories and I love you more than words can say right now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
50FA did watching Buffalo Soldiers piss you off all over again

Also legit sorry to hear about your brother. He was a great entertainer and a good D&D poster.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MC Hawking posted:

I know it's not exactly in the vein of this thread, nor am I a GiP poster (nor really affiliated with the armed forces at all save as someone who sells alcohol to servicemen); but as an individual who has chronicled and has a pretty hefty folder of the stories of notable posters on the SA forums it saddens me to hear that Humper Monkey passed.

I had a txt doc of the Humper-Monkey saga, that I used to read through every now and again. Glad to see I'm not the only one

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

50 Foot Ant posted:

awesomeness

I could hear these all night long. :allears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Idiot boy just keeps rolling with those punches. Apparently he thinks everyone is going to believe that this is all because he accidentally poked an 8 year old in the vagina while examining a rash. Which doesn't explain the other 2 girls accusing him of misconduct. He's also claiming to have been wounded in combat while in the Marines in 2003, and that he has PTSD. Not that I know everything about his circumstances, but this is the first any of us have heard of it. I'm surprised it took the news this long to mention that he used to work for us, he's been in custody since last June.

quote:

Greene said he had stopped at his apartment with the girl on the way from Dairy Queen to a playground so she could use the bathroom and so he could find a pair of basketball shorts. But, in the taped interview, Greene said he took the girl’s clothes off in his bedroom to see if the spots had spread. He admitted holding her legs apart and touching her across most of her body, including possibly outside her vagina area, he said. He told the interviewer that he stopped when he heard the girl make a shrieking noise that made him realize she was uncomfortable.

Greene told the interviewer that he knew at that point he had done something “wrong and inappropriate” so he stopped examining the girl and they both left the apartment to go to the playground.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 17, 2013

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 31, 2017

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Frosted Flake posted:

Were there a lot of fatal accidents over in Europe?
I've heard a lot of stories about guys getting run over by AVGPs and trucks back when the Canadians were over there.

Total military casualties in the ten years preceding the Iraq War were higher than the ten years of the Iraq War, because the mil was so much bigger, and people kept doing dumb poo poo, flipping trucks, crashing helos etc

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
50 foot ant you are a goddamned national treasure.

Never stop posting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RIP Humper Monkey :911:

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Nyyen posted:

Are you sure this guy wasn't some kind of deep cover saboteur?

Based on how stupid my brother was, and the stupid things that he stupidly did while being stupid, it isn't necessary for that guy to be a saboteur. Don't bother attributing to malice that which a stupidly stupid idiot does while being stupid. The stupid? It burns.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Martello posted:

Has anyone ever had a good black CO in a combat unit?

Serious question.

For the record, this post, no matter how tongue-in-cheek it may have been intended to be, is legit offensive and deeply inflammatory, and reflects badly on the whole subforum. Didn't report cause I ain't no snitch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is the best thread on the forum right now because it linked me to Humper-Monkey stories and 50FA. Thanks!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MC Hawking posted:

someone who sells alcohol to servicemen

You're now one of GiP's favorites.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This pales next to 50FA's stuff, but it looks like at least some of the stories I've been told about the 82nd are true. Guy at Fort Bragg and his wife arrested for dogfucking:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9250466

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I'm just fascinated by 80's stories, specifically the combination of the the 4 hours sleep per night AND the insane accident rate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy poo poo. I just...

:stare:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

This should be an actual loving movie or TV show. This would be better than that bullshit "Enlisted" show.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Wasabi the J posted:

This should be an actual loving movie or TV show. This would be better than that bullshit "Enlisted" show.

it would probably end up like the audie murphy movie where they cut out a bunch of poo poo because the general public wouldn't believe it actually happened

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is the best thread on the forum right now because it linked me to Humper-Monkey stories and 50FA. Thanks!

"Amber Fox also is charged with soliciting a crime against nature."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

it would probably end up like the audie murphy movie where they cut out a bunch of poo poo because the general public wouldn't believe it actually happened

And yet "Jarhead" and "The Hurt Locker" gets mistaken for reality. :mad:

Edit: my spanish fell out

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 17, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wasabi the J posted:

And yet "Jarjead" and "The Hurt Locker" gets mistaken for reality. :mad:

The Jody video was pretty realistic, imo.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 31, 2017

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
jarhead was pretty realistic in general if I recall correctly it's been a while

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
the four hours of sleep poo poo was still around when I was in from 2005-2012

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

50 Foot Ant posted:

When I say "The Army did not give a gently caress about us" it isn't hyperbole. As far as the Army and DoD was concerned you were just a body to carry your loving equipment into battle.

Back then the Marines didn't have it much better. Rumor was that the reason the the Marines didn't have nametags on their uniforms is so you could just take the uniform off a dead guy and give it the next one. You'd ask a Marine, they'd just shrug and go "Yup" and you'd go on with work.

I don't know they got that 4 Hour poo poo, but I heard that poo poo up until 1995, although sometimes you'd hear a particularly fucktard NCO say it up till about 1997 when I got out. It was one of those constantly repeated things you just knew were bullshit, and every time you told someone to show you the loving reg they'd get all butthurt and yell.

Of course officers and senior NCO's didn't have to abide by that 4 hours of sleep when it was tough, just us PoS lower enlisted.

The accident rates happen when you give people poo poo for training, old rear end equipment, dangerous areas, and incompetent leadership.

On the average one of the corners in Wildflecken killed about 50-100 people each loving winter.

Plus, a M113 APC would roll if you hit a beer can on the corner. Those loving things killed a LOT of people.

Hell, half the corners you'd see had a picture of an M113 rolling over and the words "DANGER SLOW!"

Some of those M113's had been in service over 30 years. Ours had armor plating repairs, poo poo like that, and all showed heavy damage. They pretty much ditched the M113 as fast as they could as far as my experience went.

:corsair:

When I was in basic (summer of 2007, I know drat whipper-snapper) the Drill Sergeants would say they only needed to give us four hours of sleep, but the little info packets that got handed out to us said when in the barracks we had to have the opportunity for eight a night and six in the field. Honestly we pretty much got that most of the time, sometimes training would run late, sometimes the DSs would just gently caress with us, but my battery at least didn't get sleep deprived basically at all in basic. Hell the day of the 20k we got up at our usual time, I think either 430 or 400, did some poo poo until about 2 or so, and then they let us rack out, on the floor next to our beds, for about two hours before we had to go march. We got babied compared to some people.

Hell even in my actual unit we didn't get screwed too bad on sleep. Sometimes in the field you'd get shorted but usually, especially for drivers, you got the chance for about six on average. I definitely heard the "I ONLY NEED TO GIVE YOU FOUR HOURS!" thing a ton but except for once or twice the only times we got hosed on sleep like that wasn't simply because someone was being an rear end in a top hat. Deployments were a different story, sometimes there just wasn't time to sleep, but eh.

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

jarhead was pretty realistic in general if I recall correctly it's been a while

I thought Jarhead over dramatized a bit but was pretty close. Boredom can be the worst part of deployments sometimes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It depends a lot too on if you have to do sentry watch or something like that while everyone else is sleeping.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Wasabi the J posted:

Jarhead was based on a book written by a Marine. The details are off because of the film industry and the length of time between when the events happened and when the book was written.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I've heard the four hours thing a couple of times in the past six years I've been in, but really it's tapered off quite a bit. Sure, I've had a couple of 3 or 4 day field ops where I only had 2 or 3 hours a night, but at least with my unit, that was usually a blanket sort of situation. I guess I've been fortunate in not having assholes officers or senior enlisted that go to bed before the troops.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Well the two yahoos who kicked off the latest Japan curfews just had all their charges dropped according to Stripes

So I guess it's USFJ's knee-jerking curfew that's the idiot in this case?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Veins McGee posted:

Jarhead was based on a book written by a Marine. The details are off because of the film industry and the length of time between when the events happened and when the book was written.

I've always told people that Jarhead was best in capturing the overall theme of frustrated boredom, and not to get too wrapped up in the biographical details. Half the book is collected urban legends anyway.

We never- not once- had our sleep hosed in Basic (Ft Jackson, 2002). After the first week I started to realize how badly the drill sergeant position had been emasculated.

Field time in the regular Army? Pffftttt. Get it where you can find it, motherfucker.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Wasabi the J posted:

Come on man, those movies aren't even close. Hurt Locker sucked because they were so over the top with it and the newspapers and movie reviewers ate that poo poo up and starting saying it was an accurate picture of what was going on in Iraq. I've known a few marines that were in Desert Storm and they said Jarhead was pretty accurate. I've never come across any EOD guys that say Hurt Locker is even remotely accurate, and almost everyone in the military as a whole recognized it as a fantasy piece of poo poo. Hurt Locker could've been an awesome story if they went more of a Jarhead route instead of a James Bond 3 man wrecking crew disarming bombs and getting sick head shots with sniper rifles.

50FA your stories are insane and highly entertaining, thanks! Huge bummer about Humper Monkey but it's good that the gift of story telling runs in the family.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I REDACT MY STATEMENT ABOUT JARHEAD AFTER RE-WATCHING IT CRITICALLY.

(Three Kings?)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Wasabi the J posted:

(Three Kings?)

Um if your Desert Storm experience didn't involve bouncing around the desert with Ice Cube, jacking Saddam's gold, and saving some rebels then I think you were doing it wrong.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

50 Foot Ant posted:

We usually learned to work around them. Officers you just blow sunshine up their rear end till you get it done so they can collect their medals and bragging rights about how hard their platoon works. NCO's you just do whatever stupid poo poo they blather on about until they go back to their air conditioning and then get poo poo done the right way.

Enlisted you send to handle a sealed box that's full of rocks, or do 'important' duties, or poo poo like that. There's a difference between the guy who's a fuckup back at garrison and can't seem to clean his room to save his life but out at the Site or in the field he's a loving rockstar or vice versa and an all around fuckup.

We had to be careful of fuckups because they could literally get you killed. Some of these guys I have no idea how they passed basic, much less out AIT.

I got handed off this one guy, Shampey the Stinky Samurai. He wasn't Asian, he just had that nickname because he had a bunch of katanas and wall scrolls and poo poo (This was 1988). I knew as soon as I got handed him that he was going to be trouble because he was given without a trade for one of my meat-heads, which meant trouble. Normally for a squad leader or crew leader to hand someone off it was a horse-trade and some hard haggling, but I got handed this complete and utter fuckup out of the blue over the weekend and I couldn't ask his previous crew leader about him because that crew had hosed off to their site.

First day he got on my bad side. We ran a NATO/FSTS site out by the 1K Zone, so work was loving work and you did that poo poo so we could hide out from the Chief. I told him to be at the motorpool the next day 0400 so we could roll early. 0430 rolls around, no Shampey, 0500 rolls around, no Shampey. I'm getting pissed off. I've got about 25 trailers of ammo hitting the site today and now I'm going to be late. I sent off everyone in the 5-ton and me and my driver went to look for him.

He's asleep in the Day Room.

Then he has to change. I was fine with a rumpled uniform. I never starched or pressed my work uniforms because it ruined the infra-red coating and who gives a poo poo if I'm wearing a starched uniform out at my Site? The loving Germans? The Soviet Union assholes? The goddamn rabbits? What does he show up in? One badly starched and horribly ironed uniform with what looked like dogshit down the back of one leg.

The trip out in the CUC-V (old Chevy Blazer for those of you who don't know) it smelled like a bag of hooker's assholes smeared with sour cream and left in the sun.

Shampey.

I gave him the 'lock box' to watch. Actually it was my 'test the new guy' box, since it was basically a .50 cal ammo box with a seal on it full of rocks.

This motherfucker lost it within an hour.

Eventually his fuckups got to the point I actually bothered to go back to group and request he be dropped to 55B so we didn't have to deal with him. I did this twice, but it got ignored until he hosed up during REFORGER 88 and our CO completely lost his poo poo.

This is what he did within 2 months.

• He backed a forklift out of a bunker with the forks all the way up and knocked off the backing. He damaged six forklifts in one week even though he'd been told over and over and over DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING I DON'T HAND YOU, YOU loving IDIOT!
  • He loving signed for two trucks of ammo before they were inspected, meaning I had 2 trucks of 8" standard HE arty rounds instead of the FASCAMs I was supposed to get. That took two months and a CID investigation to clear up. (He wasn't authorized to sign for his own meals much less trucks of ammo)
  • Told a loving 10 truck they could go ahead and go now and three loving trucks left with TOW-II rockets on them. Luckily their convoy leader inspected the trucks and found them before they left the site.
  • He got in an argument with the mess-hall chief at Darmstadt, meaning we lost our cool deal with them till I smoothed things out. What was the argument over? Some loving comic called Elf Quest. They'd leave mermites for us out back with good hot food in it and I'd leave signed meal sheets there, and Stinky Samurai almost hosed it all up for us.
  • He backed a CUC-V up and smashed the front of a German national's car then drove off. He wasn't licensed or allowed to drive the vehicles, he just didn't want to walk downrange.
  • He couldn't put on a full environmental suit. He couldn't inspect someone else who had put one on. He couldn't recharge the tanks, nothing.
  • He couldn't do maintenance on the full suits, the armored suits, the decon equipment, the detection equipment, or the standard suits.
  • He failed his gas qualification out of Wildflecken because. he was. a moron.
  • He pinned me between the back of a forklift and a stack of MRLS because. he was. a moron. He wasn't supposed to get in it, I was walking around behind it, with it shut down and forks on the ground, to check a clicking noise I was hearing (Some of the Hotel-104 MRLS pods made weird clicking noises and we didn't know why at the time, we were trying to figure it out). He got in the forklift and decided to 'help' me by starting it, backing up and pinning me. Then he ran away, leaving me pinned between a 6K forklift and a stock of pods.
  • He mixed lot numbers on some 8" G series on the pad 'making them dress right dress' when he had been told to leave poo poo alone. We were pulling some out for shipment back to the States for destruction due to failure rates on internal canisters and they were supposed to be handled by hand instead of by fork once they were pulled from the bunker stacks, but NOOOO, Shampey the Samurai has to use the fork and stack them all together. rear end in a top hat.
  • He'd mix lot-numbers and ammo types if he put them in the bunker unsupervised. He wasn't TOLD to put them in, he'd just 'help' by grabbing someone's forklift and start slamming ammo into the bunkers.
  • He'd knock over stacks of ammo. We're talking 2-3 deep, 3-8 tall stacks that were being bunkered and he'd grab a forklift and hit them too too hard and drop them. Talk about hearing a noise that would make your rear end in a top hat slam shut.
  • During REFORGER 88 he got put on Advance Party with the rest of us hammerheads. He was playing grab-rear end and pointing his weapon at people. He was told not to. He 'proved' it was unloaded by pulling the trigger. And shooting a guy from HQ Platoon right in the back. (That's what got him dropped to 55B)
  • He didn't bathe or wash his uniforms. Now out at the Site you didn't get a chance to often and we weren't allowed to return to the barracks until the job was over, something that could take months sometimes, but at least we tried. We washed our uniforms in plastic buckets with water hoses, showered in the high pressure decon shower, poo poo like that. Shampey didn't even do that. By the end of a week he loving STUNK! I mean, I'll admit it, we all smelled back after a week or two because hand washing uniforms and bathing in a decon shower isn't the best, but at least we loving tried. He smelled worse than a goddamn compost pile in summer.
  • He broke the brand new sight for the anti-material rifle by showing how 'he'd learned about it in basic and could have been a sniper'. We needed that loving rifle in case anything bad happened. Sure as poo poo we had an old FASCAM round that was all rusty break open and drop submunitions all over the road. EOD told us to blow it in place with the AMR. I was tempted to give him a loving butterknife and make him go down to take care of it but my assistant squad leader reminded me they called that murder.
  • He tried to convince me to assign him the AMR because he 'shot expert and would have been sniper if...' and telling me that women couldn't shoot worth poo poo because he was jealous that I'd assigned it to 'a loving girl'. She had taken it apart for maintenance, went to take a piss, and he tried to put it back together and broke it. I about lost my poo poo, I had send two of my crew to go all the way to Fulda to get it repaired. Thank God 11th ACR was cool with us.
  • He'd been told over and over and over not to use two of the pumps at Refueling Point 2, and what did he do? Used one of the pumps and caught the whole loving thing on fire. We almost lost the loving site because he ran the gently caress away and didn't tell anyone.
  • If we left him uprange by himself he ate people's pogey bait. He read the paperwork and just dropped it on the floor when he was done reading a page.
  • He'd bum smokes an if told no he'd pull a pack out of his pocket.
  • Refused to answer the phones because 'that's the German guard's job!!!' and almost got us strike packaged while we were dealing with a fire he'd started downrange.
  • His third fire in two weeks spread into the 1K Zone and I had to write up an international incident report because he was hiding in the grass smoking a cigarette and tossed it.
  • He put two of my crew in the hospital by doing what I had expressly warned him not to. He sent me to the hospital when we were stacking 104's and when I reached in to set the rubber pod foot right to match up with the top pegs he reached into the forklift, despite there being a driver in it, and lowered the pod, pinning my arm in there.
  • He almost opened a bunker door on a contaminated bunker that we were waiting for orders to decon and destroy. A bunker that got contaminated because of his stupid poo poo of not knowing what the gently caress he was doing and putting poo poo in badly and making the whole loving stack collapse, rupturing some mortar rounds and.... goddamn it STILL burns me up 20 years later to think of it.
  • When we were getting reinspected by the NATO team he walked around with his hat on backwards and his hands in his pockets. He made "French are cowards" jokes to the French inspector.
  • I told him to do inventory on a specific loving list of bunkers (all conventional rounds not even his dumbass could gently caress up) and he went into other bunkers (to make sure they'd been inventoried, like his E-1 rear end had any authority) and saw that some nuke rounds hadn't been inspected in almost 6 months, so he started doing it himself. That's a 2 man job, with shielding, and suited up. Luckily we caught him before he did much more than open the first round up. Christ, seeing him bang on the loving internals of that round with a goddamn WRENCH about gave me a heart attack.

We were so chronically under-strength that command thought it was better to keep someone like that. (Good ol' Cold War IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS! RAWR! Bullshit) He was a loving menace and a fuckup, but they kept him around until he almost killed a man in front of the whole loving unit.

More than once I made him carry a mop at right shoulder arms and march around the stacks of wooden pallets reciting poo poo. I HATED that motherfucker and kept trying to get command to chapter his rear end or drop him but because we were understrength they wanted to keep him.

By the time 4 months were over I hated that motherfucker so bad I can't even explain it. Ever heard the phrase "I hated him with the burning passion of a thousand suns"? Yeah, that was nothing compared to how badly I hated that motherfucker. I even tried 'wall to wall counseling' twice on him and turned a blind eye when the rest of the crew tuned his rear end up downrange. I mean, I tried everything: counseling, retraining, mentoring, everything before I just started having his rear end beat. I used to fantasize about stabbing his stupid rear end.

For the last month before REFORGER we'd just leave him at Group when we left. We'd just tell him to be there at 0400/0500, he'd be in his room, and we'd just roll out without him. He made himself such a nuisance and a fuckup back at Group that they'd call us to come get him and we'd just laugh and hang up the phone. Seriously, gently caress the Stinky Samurai. He could sit in his loving room, read Elf Quest, and jerk off with his katanas. Oh God, and he'd go on and on and on about how wonderful Japan was. This dude was ahead of his time.

Now for funny idiots:

• We had butterbar who, during Wed Training, used a real decon kit instead of a practice on his face and hands.
  • We had a brand new E-5 to our unit who was sent out to one of the hot-sites and nobody knows what he did to piss everyone out there off but they locked him in a bunker for 2 days. This guy was reportedly a grade-A fuckup. At ARTEP 89 he tried to 'prove' you could drink from the non-potable water buffalo and loving poisoned himself. He fell headfirst into a foxhole once and everyone ignored him. He tried to tell me what I needed to do to get my crew to be more proper military, I ignored him. He stole a CUC-V and drove to Wildflecken to buy booze and then wrecked the vehicle on the way back then tried to blame it on an E-2 who wasn't even present.
  • I saw a tanker trying to link together two half-expended belts of .50 by banging on the a round with another round. Dipshit blew off two of his fingers and his thumb.
  • This idiot we had at Fort Hood didn't pay attention to the "live mic, clear!" warning when someone keyed the new SINCGARS radio in the humvee and almost killed himself AFTER we'd been warned about it.
  • There's always 'that guy' who plays with the atropine and 2PAMChloride stickers and rams a needle through his hand. Always.
  • Once I was the idiot and was mixing chem-light in my drinks all night. I threw up amazing things.
  • Whole units that said 'hurr, it's the desert, it doesn't get cold at night!' and deployed to Desert Storm without any cold weather gear or even stoves for their tents. Of course, that meant they were always screaming for cold weather poo poo. The worse ones about this were the infantry units who screamed that because they were infantry they deserved it over everyone else, even the medical units, and would scream at us when we hauled it out because we were tasked with that stupid poo poo.
  • My unit put me in charge of a team that took small loads of ammo to units that didn't justify a full convoy and there was ALWAYS some guy who tried throwing his rank/unit at me to demand other unit's few boxes of ammunition and tried to get in a pissing contest with me. Some people can't comprehend that my list says you get EXACTLY four boxes of .45 Ball and that. is. it. Arguing with me will just make me put it back on the truck and leave you with NO ammo. Because you gently caress you, bullet catcher. I'll trade it to the Marines, they at least act nice when you give them free ammo.
  • This one is all of the DoD. Back when Desert Storm started some genius in charge of Class V decided that nobody needed .45 rounds, turns out that 1/2 the units deployed hadn't upgraded to the M-9 and we had just poo poo-loads of 9mm ammo, but no .45. We called back to Group, had them pull .45 from the cold-sites and arranged for shipping, and some rear end in a top hat up at DoD tried repeatedly to stop the shipment. Whoever that idiot was, they almost sent an entire division out with no sidearm ammunition just so they didn't have to admit they hosed up from the get-go. It was all one guy, we managed to figure that out, but we could never get a handle on him. He worked at the Pentagon and more than a few guys said that after the war they were going to kick that guy's rear end.
  • Had an E-7 who told my drawdown crew that I was being 'a little bitch' and that there was nothing to be afraid of out at a clandestine ammo dump in CONUS and just walked into a bunker without any protective gear. Yeah. Turned out the bunker had been used to store decommissioned rounds and he got a nice dose of radiation. Dumb gently caress.

I saw so many fuckups, idiots, and just goddamn ate-up lunchmeat Larrys while I was in. I don't know what you guys have to deal with nowadays, but you'll see in the next five or ten years once the wars are over that there will be these seriously hosed up guys who are compensating for the fact they never got deployed by being goddamn caricatures. We used to call it "The Vietnam Problem", these guys who didn't go to Vietnam or came in afterwards that just hosed up everything they loving touched.

Then Desert Storm stopped the drawdown, and gave some of these people reasons to stay in or made them worse. The post Desert Storm Drawdown was a loving cluster gently caress. People like me didn't give a poo poo, either they'd put us out or they wouldn't, but you could tell the guys who were fuckups, they KNEW the military was going to put them out so they were doing everything they could to validate them staying in, which led them to getting involved in poo poo they should have NEVER been involved in. But because they were fuckup lifers they knew all the right people and could get assigned to poo poo they could fuckup.

My personal favorite about idiots is and always will be this loving Captain from 1st Cavalry.

We were sling loading ammo in the dark and light drizzle because of REASONS back in 93 and he'd come up to 'supervise' us moving this poo poo at night via helicopter. He showed up in the middle of the transfer operations and told us we needed to hurry things up. If someone starts talking about 'you need to hurry up' you know that it's going to go sideways on you.

So the helicopter comes in, we had the cargo netted and ready, the poo poo-Hook was dropping down the cargo hook, and I told one of my crew to hit the hook with the static pole. The Captain, who obviously knew about everything since he'd 'been in this man's Army for fifteen years and First Cav for ten!' told me to quit being such a baby, quit being such a pussy, act like a loving man, be a real NCO, and just hook it up.

I told him to do it himself if he knew everything about it. So he grabbed the cargo ring with his bare hands, went up there, and tried to slap it onto the cargo hook.

Now, if you have your Air Assault badge, or have done helicopter sling-load, or have refueled/rearmed helicopters, you know what was wrong.

See, helicopters generate HUGE amounts of static electricity. The fuckers hold a MAJOR charge.

So Captain Wonderful has a metal ring in his hand. The hook is metal. The hook is attached to the helicopter by a metal cable. The ground is wet. The Captain is wet.

Slap. ZAAAAP!

Kills that motherfucker outright. He didn't even get a chance to scream.

My assistant squad leader turns to my work crew and says, completely deadpan: "What did we learn?"

Is it wrong that it still makes me laugh?

You killed a man and your post was long and boring too and kept going on and on and it was real bad. And you killed a man in real life or like to make it seem like you did by typing about how you killed a man on the internet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Read better.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Martello posted:

Has anyone ever had a good black CO in a combat unit?

Serious question.

I can think of at least one guy who was really high-speed. Kind of a huge tool as a person and had a massive stick up his rear end, but a very competent officer. The only remarkably incompetent infantry officers I've met were really nerdy white guys who thought they were too smart to play Army.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I REDACT MY STATEMENT ABOUT JARHEAD AFTER RE-WATCHING IT CRITICALLY.

(Three Kings?)
It's a fiction film, but it's also the best war movie ever made. gently caress you and your ponies too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

anne frank fanfic posted:

You killed a man and your post was long and boring too and kept going on and on and it was real bad. And you killed a man in real life or like to make it seem like you did by typing about how you killed a man on the internet.

So brave!