Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
C'mon, it's 2013. If you don't know at least two languages you're basically a caveman. Hell, even Alteisen is bilingual!

It only takes 1100~ hours to learn passable Japanese including conversational speech, reading, and writing up to Level 7. :anime:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Healbot posted:

The bank would have sold Atlus separately to make a bit of money on top, seeing as SMT isn't quite what people would call a big seller on the cell market.

Social games are all the rage in Japan, and there was a Persona one, as well as a normal persona 3 cell phone game, so I don't really get your assertion. It seemed pretty obvious that the banking company would just try to make a quick buck with them making GBS threads out cell phone titles rather than reselling them.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Healbot posted:

The bank would have sold Atlus separately to make a bit of money on top, seeing as SMT isn't quite what people would call a big seller on the cell market.

Why would they bid on Atlus with the expressed intention of breaking into the cell phone games and then sell it?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

Maybe this will mean Atlus games on Steam?

Well there have been a bunch of JRPGs inexplicably popping up on Steam.

Seriously anyone upset about Sega getting them should take a look at their steam catalog sometime. Their top selling franchises are Football Manager and Total War, they bought Relic who made the Dawn of War/Company of Heroes games, they have excellent ports of Sonic Generations and Sonic Racing on the PC which are also always cheaper while already looking like a PS4/XBONE game. They've gotten a lot of praise in the PC sphere, with the only real misstep being that they never brought over PSO2 which people have fan translated anyway.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN posted:

C'mon, it's 2013. If you don't know at least two languages you're basically a caveman. Hell, even Alteisen is bilingual!

It only takes 1100~ hours to learn passable Japanese including conversational speech, reading, and writing up to Level 7. :anime:

I'm bilingual but I'm not gonna learn Japanese for videogames.

Because I already tried to in highschool :negative:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Fascinatingly enough, Sega Sammy is currently denying that this is a thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

And now they're saying it's real. They just didn't want Nikkei to be the ones to say it.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

DrPaper posted:

Why would they bid on Atlus with the expressed intention of breaking into the cell phone games and then sell it?

Index as a whole not just Atlus.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So they created a subsidiary called Sega Dream that they used to acquire Index.

A bit roundabout, isn't it? Does it have something to do with taxes or...?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

Maybe this will mean Atlus games on Steam?

I'll buy everything that comes out day one. Thanks in advance.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'll buy everything that comes out day one. Thanks in advance.

Being able to subscribe to all games by an editor would be a great idea for steam.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Seriously anyone upset about Sega getting them should take a look at their steam catalog sometime. Their top selling franchises are Football Manager and Total War, they bought Relic who made the Dawn of War/Company of Heroes games, they have excellent ports of Sonic Generations and Sonic Racing on the PC which are also always cheaper while already looking like a PS4/XBONE game. They've gotten a lot of praise in the PC sphere, with the only real misstep being that they never brought over PSO2 which people have fan translated anyway.
Buggering up PSO2 (ditto VC3 et all) is a huge black mark given what were dealing with.
Yes those games on the pc are nice but PSO hangs over the whole deal like a mouldy sock.

So it got fan translated, whoop. Mother 3's fan translation, nice as it is doesn't absolve Nintendo's nonsense in that instance.

Do we hope on the fans translating future ATLUS titles?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 18, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think what absolves both Nintendo and Sega in this case is that Mother 3 and VC3 combined would probably have been lucky to break 100,000 units sold. VC1 and 2 were sales bombs and Mother 3 (as much as I love it) is niche of the niche even with an appearance in Smash Bros. The Persona/SMT games are not billion sellers but they're more reliable and there's no reason Sega wouldn't give them a shot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 18, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I do wonder what this means for the new version of P4A. Hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle somehow.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey. Maybe we can get the PSP port of eternal punishment now?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PunkBoy posted:

I do wonder what this means for the new version of P4A. Hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle somehow.

I thought that was just an update patch? It should be in the hands of Arc System Works though so it shouldn't be lost.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Speaking for myself, having the games be published by a company that knows Europe exists could well be a good thing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Suaimhneas posted:

Speaking for myself, having the games be published by a company that knows Europe exists could well be a good thing.

Isn't Soul Hackers meant to come out this week?

:confuoot:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pureauthor posted:

So they created a subsidiary called Sega Dream that they used to acquire Index.

A bit roundabout, isn't it? Does it have something to do with taxes or...?

If I remember my Japanese shady business practices education from when SNK pulled some stuff to come back in 2000~2001, in Japan there's some hoops they can jump through by starting a "new" company that absolves it of the debt and some other issues of the company the "new" company is buying. So the exact same people will be employed by the "new" company that is called Sega Dream that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Index of course.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

It is, and now i feel really torn. On one hand i could walk into Gamestop on friday and buy it, provided that they get it in stock, but then i'd have to deal with those assholish seal stickers they put on it that leaves big "VOID" markings on the cover when you take them off. If i buy it online, then i'll have to wait until over the weekend for it to arrive. :(

At least there's now some sort of chance for us to get SMTIV though. Someday.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At the end of the day this means the Persona series is safe. There's no way Sega would sit on a goldmine like that.

What we need to know is how this reorganization will go in November. Index as a whole was doing some book cooking so there's going to be a bunch of top executives gone right off the bat if they haven't already abandoned ship.

Index is 3 companies total

Index Multimedia (Sold then merged with Atlus in 2010 reporting both as income, leading to the bankruptcy)
Index Digital Media (Atlus USA)
Index Amusement (They make 3D movies)

SegaSammy isn't merging with index, but buying them outright. The first thing they're going to do is look for redundant operations and close them down. Index is well known for cell phone games in Japan along with the Atlus branded games, so the Multimedia group could be allowed to stand on its own or have the gaming portion moved to one of the Sega companies while remaining as a cell phone game developer. Index Digital Media doesn't actually make anything, they just localize and publish Atlus games, along with a few indie games. Best case scenario is that they leave the Multimedia and Digital Media groups alone and let them do their thing. Worst case they close down Digital Media as redundant to what Sega of America does. I can't say much for Amusement, but they probably would merge it with one of their other animation companies.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about business, but that's my guess. Either they get merged into other SegaSammy companies like Sega or they get scrubbed clean by SegaSammy and leave the rest of the corporate structure in place.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ImpAtom posted:

I think what absolves both Nintendo and Sega in this case is that Mother 3 and VC3 combined would probably have been lucky to break 100,000 units sold. VC1 and 2 were sales bombs and Mother 3 (as much as I love it) is niche of the niche even with an appearance in Smash Bros. The Persona/SMT games are not billion sellers but they're more reliable and there's no reason Sega wouldn't give them a shot.

Mother 3 was also a GBA game released after the DS, and VC3 was released after the PSP was completely dead in the west, which would have only hurt their sales. But it's not like Atlus releases games for outdated hardware.

(This post was actually supposed to agree with and add more support to your post, but then I remembered that P3/4 both came out super late in the PS2's life, and P5 could end up as a PS3 game. I still don't think there's anything to worry about with regards to future Atlus games getting localized, though.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wasn't the PS2 still doing better than the PS3 at the time of P4's release? Comparatively, I'm going to venture a guess that the GBA wasn't exactly catching fire anymore compared to the DS in 2006 either.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
GBA died very quickly in Japan but stuck around a lot longer in the USA.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Mother 3 was also a GBA game released after the DS, and VC3 was released after the PSP was completely dead in the west, which would have only hurt their sales. But it's not like Atlus releases games for outdated hardware.

They only stopped manufacturing PS2s at the start of this year.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Obviously the Persona games sold just fine despite (or even thanks to) being on the PS2 instead of the PS3. I just pointed it out because I thought it was funny that I was going to say "Those other games you mentioned were also for outdated hardware" even though Atlus games are often in the same position.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I'm wondering how this affects the Devil Survivor 2 remake.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

kirbysuperstar posted:

20th of September, Amazon sent the pre-orders on their way a couple if hours ago.

The ultimate opportunity to play this in readable form. :confuoot:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dylan14 posted:

I'm wondering how this affects the Devil Survivor 2 remake.

It was delayed to "Fall" from July due to "Quality issues"

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

I really doubt SMT IV will break 100K in the West (both NA and Europe) for this year. It's actually a fairly niche franchise here. Same with EO franchise, again, doubt EO IV is looking at 100K in the West for 2013 (EO1 remake will do less). Persona is a bit better though and considering the platform and some more visibility with Anime and merchandising. IMO, there is a really good chance that Sega will not bring a lot of the SMT / EO games to the West (maybe just mainline SMT) and might bring only Persona over.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atlus issued their own statement about the aquisition.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/18/atlus-promises-continuity-and-prepares-for-new-challenges-under-new-sega-ownership/

quote:

After thanking the customers for their support, and apologizing for the concern caused, Hiroaka-san explains that Atlus has a very good relationship with Sega and a considerable business synergy. By using Sega’s solid distribution network he expects the company to expand further.

This new relationship will allow the two companies to complement each other’s niche in the consumer game business, and Sega’s Know-how will enhance Atlus’ brand.

The continuity of Atlus’ business is considered to be in very good shape.

At the moment all the employees of the consumer game department of the company are focusing on the development of future titles, and Atlus is looking forward to tackle new challenges in the future.

E: At $140 million, people have been joking about how a kickstarter would have helped, but the largest Gaming related item on there is the Ouya, which hit $8.5 million. The largest tech item appears to be a pebble watch for $10 million.

E2: Apparently sega has been publishing their games since last year, with Atlus USA distributing the games here.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 18, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I really just want a PC Port of the Persona games and Arenas. Get all the fighting games on steam, come on.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

I really just want a PC Port of the Persona games and Arenas. Get all the fighting games on steam, come on.

Sega releases Dreamcast 2 as SteamBox with Gaben next week with Persona 5 being first exclusive!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Tae posted:

I'll name my firstborn Atlus if that ever happen.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just give me Nocturne HD on steam, and they can forget about porting any other game and I'd be satisfied.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Half-Life 3 will have a Persona crossover. Also Teddie hats in TF2.

The universe will then implode on itself.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

As long as I can date Hatsune Miku in Persona 5 it's all good Sega.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I hope this means we get Demi-Fiend in All-Stars Racing.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

As long as I can date Hatsune Miku in Persona 5 it's all good Sega.

Rerelease Persona 3 again, replace Aigis' voice actor with Vocaloid software.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

DrPaper posted:

Was the bank have "Louis" or any word meaning "light" in it's name? I have a hunch...:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dorroile posted:

I hope this means we get Demi-Fiend in All-Stars Racing.

Maybe on Mara's Chariot, too!