Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Having a "rental" option seems like an interesting experiment, I can see that being appealing at parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Have they announced which sports? I'd definitely pick up bowling.

Also does anyone find it weird one of the only games Nintendo is putting online is one of the games with probably the least competitive metagame and least amount of skill required?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

greatn posted:

Have they announced which sports? I'd definitely pick up bowling.

Also does anyone find it weird one of the only games Nintendo is putting online is one of the games with probably the least competitive metagame and least amount of skill required?

Its the original 5 as far as I know.

Also, I don't know if you've played wii bowling recently, but it is probably the most competitive game I've ever played at a party. I think you mean 'least hardcore' or whatever.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

frameset posted:

£8.99 in the UK for one of the sports, all 6 makes that nearly £54. That's mental, people are used to these games being "free" as a pack in.

Everyone still had to pay for Wii Sports Resort.

EDIT: Wii Sports Club is the sort of thing that should have started in 2006. The online features and regional club features are really cool. It kind of bugs me that all of the games are not available immediately but I'm fine with paying just for the games I want to play (Bowling and Tennis). At $20 for those two I think it'll be more than worth it. Nintendo should really promote this thing. I hope that they do plan to release more games for the "club" than just the original Wii Sports titles.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 18, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Okay, here's the scoop on Wii Fit U:

-From November 1, people who own a Balance Board will be eligible to download a free one-month trial of the full game; additionally, if you purchase a Fit Meter and sync it with your game before your trial ends you'll unlock the game for permanent use. The trial offer expires on January 31.

-The Fit Meter will be available at retail on November 1 for $19.99 (no standalone EU price just yet). NA gets one colour (black/silver), EU is getting black, green and red designs.

-The game will get a retail release (including Fit Meter and Fit Meter/Balance Board bundles) on December 7 in EU and December 13 in NA; it'll also hit the eShop on December 13 in NA and February 1 in PAL-land.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Lego City was $25 on NewEgg today, I would hold out for another sale at this point...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...78330077&cm_sp=

I'm in Canada. We don't get good deals on things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

greatn posted:

Did they even announce this Nintendo Direct?

Nope, first I knew of it was when I saw the Nintendo UK Twitter.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Okay, here's the scoop on Wii Fit U:

-From November 1, people who own a Balance Board will be eligible to download a free one-month trial of the full game; additionally, if you purchase a Fit Meter and sync it with your game before your trial ends you'll unlock the game for permanent use. The trial offer expires on January 31.

Welp, time to grab a balance board off ebay.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Where's a good place to just get a balance board? I don't know what ever happened to mine. And getting the game over a month early for $20 sounds good.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

Where's a good place to just get a balance board? I don't know what ever happened to mine. And getting the game over a month early for $20 sounds good.

Kijiji (Or Craigslist in the US?). There's a few in my area for $50 with either Wii Fit or Wii Fit Plus.

It's possible to just find a friend who has one and doesn't want it anymore.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If I'd have to pay $50 I might as well just buy the retail version.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

elf help book posted:

Maybe the bad reviews were written by idiots, have you thought about that?

The way people review Platinum's games makes them seem like the type of person who'd pick up Contra, lose all three lives in the first stage, and declare it unplayable garbage. Their games require diligence and perseverance, when most other games try to be similar to other popular games, and provide as little resistance to you completing it as possible.

It's why one of my favourite games on the PS2 got a 3.0 review from a major review site.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

frameset posted:

£8.99 in the UK for one of the sports, all 6 makes that nearly £54. That's mental, people are used to these games being "free" as a pack in.
I want to complain about this pricing but I'm guessing I'll just get called "cheap" again. If the whole thing was a $15 digital title I'd be on board.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

The way people review Platinum's games makes them seem like the type of person who'd pick up Contra, lose all three lives in the first stage, and declare it unplayable garbage. Their games require diligence and perseverance, when most other games try to be similar to other popular games, and provide as little resistance to you completing it as possible.

It's why one of my favourite games on the PS2 got a 3.0 review from a major review site.

Wonderful 101 is great if you're willing to take 30 minutes to learn it and watch some youtube videos to explain so of the more obscure but useful mechanics. It's not very accessible, but it's also not out of reach for the type of person who posts on video game forums on the internet.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Bruceski posted:

On the Wii U the system will probably be sitting next to my game disks. Add to that the inability to partition an external hard drive, and if my downloads fill up the on-system drive I'd end up spending a lot of money on an external that would mostly be unusable empty space. It just doesn't feel useful in the same way the 3DS is.

I'm not so sure why you're hung up on the partition issue. I scored a 1TB drive for $40 that works with the Wii U, all of the drive is available for use with the Wii U and now that it's plugged in I don't expect I'll unplug it unless I move. None of that space is unusable to the Wii U. Getting a cheap drive and plugging it in and easy and it's the best experience I've had yet with expanding storage space on a console.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Sega sammy wants atlus to work on ios games.

Also PC games. I would love to play a Megaten title on Steam.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Sammy confirmed that it was SEGA Dream Corporation, a subsidiary of SEGA, that is taking over operations at Index.

quote:

The Company believes that transfer of Index’s operations to SEGA will create synergies, on the grounds that the deal will enable the Company to:

(1) gain access to prominent IPs in the home video game software, through which the Company can expect to achieve steady flows of revenue;

(2) expect further facilitation of revenue growth for the PC Online Game Business and Content Business for Smart Devices operated by SEGA and SEGA Networks Co., Ltd. by exploiting acquired prominent IPs

(3) maximize the value of acquired IPs by effectively deploying them in the Pachislot and Pachinko Machines segment, Amusement Machine Sales and Amusement Center Operations segments.

:shepface:

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20130918_index_e_final.pdf

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Also PC games. I would love to play a Megaten title on Steam.

Farmville could be considered a PC game, just to put things into perspective.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm so excited about online hd Wii u bowling.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spacebump posted:

I'm so excited about online hd Wii u bowling.

It's the little things that count :3:

They better let me play 100 pin online! :argh:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh my god I forgot about 100 pin. GOTY if it has it.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I will buy all the sports just to show my support for online play. Seriously Nintendo, put that poo poo in everything it's 2013.

Also because Bowling is fun as heck.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Surlaw posted:

I want to complain about this pricing but I'm guessing I'll just get called "cheap" again. If the whole thing was a $15 digital title I'd be on board.

No, you're absolutely right to complain about it. Considering what a massive failure the Wii U currently is, they shouldn't be charging a dime for a slight upgrade to a game that everyone on the planet already got with their Wii 7 years ago. $10 a pop for each of those games is outrageous.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

I will buy all the sports just to show my support for online play. Seriously Nintendo, put that poo poo in everything it's 2013.

Also because Bowling is fun as heck.

I really like the Sports Club idea. It's just a simple aesthetic thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Adam Bowen posted:

No, you're absolutely right to complain about it. Considering what a massive failure the Wii U currently is, they shouldn't be charging a dime for a slight upgrade to a game that everyone on the planet already got with their Wii 7 years ago. $10 a pop for each of those games is outrageous.

I think it was only a pack in in the American region. I know it definitely wasn't in Japan, not sure about Europe.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
My Mom bought a Wii a few months ago (lol) and our Gamestop had a literal pile of used balance boards available.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

I think it was only a pack in in the American region. I know it definitely wasn't in Japan, not sure about Europe.

It was a pack in everywhere but Japan.

Japan never gets pack ins for some reason. I don't think they even got Nintendoland with the Premium SKU.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

It was a pack in everywhere but Japan.

Japan never gets pack ins for some reason. I don't think they even got Nintendoland with the Premium SKU.

Aren't games something like 80-90% more expensive over there? It's a bigger market so you don't really see many bundles and value packages.

I am buying the poo poo out of Bowling/Tennis, maybe Golf. Boxing is fun but really broken (and I don't want to know how broken it gets with other players online), and Baseball can just go die in a loving fire. There's nothing wrong with it other than it emulating baseball and how horribly boring that is.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 18, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh gently caress I forgot about golf. The motion plus version was fantastic.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Baseball and boxing were boring as hell. Golf was fun, I forgot about that one.

I want them to release some of the sports resort games. Swords was sick.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Baseball and boxing were boring as hell. Golf was fun, I forgot about that one.

I want them to release some of the sports resort games. Swords was sick.

When they first announced the Wii U they showed a mechanic for Baseball where you use the Gamepad to make your pitches. That would make it a pretty awesome two player game (or at least in my head I could see that being fun).

But yeah, Sports Resorts games should be added too.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

greatn posted:

Oh gently caress I forgot about golf. The motion plus version was fantastic.

Can you define this for me? Do you play golf, like really real golf? Is the swing mechanic actually a decent aproximation? Or can you half rear end it like you can all other wii sports games?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kilazar posted:

Can you define this for me? Do you play golf, like really real golf? Is the swing mechanic actually a decent aproximation? Or can you half rear end it like you can all other wii sports games?

All the Resort games are way more accurate than anything in the original Wii Sports. The Motion Plus just upgrades the motion sensing to a ridiculous degree.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gutcruncher posted:

All the Resort games are way more accurate than anything in the original Wii Sports. The Motion Plus just upgrades the motion sensing to a ridiculous degree.

Yeah I was loving terrible at Resort golf because of the motion sensing.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Resort golfing requires 3 things that the previous golf game didn't:

1. Keep your head down when starting your swing.
2. Lock your wrists.
3. Follow through with your swing all the way to your shoulder.

My game improved a ton after figuring that out (kind of like real golf).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man, Amazon shipped faster than I thought. Now I have a bunch of Wii U games and no Wii U until Friday (and even that's not guaranteed, I might be waiting until Monday or later.)

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
What the gently caress man, they sure did make Wii Sports in HD... Because it's completely lacking in colour! That tennis court looks bland as hell.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Adam Bowen posted:

I didn't know online play and HD graphics equates to slight upgrade...especially for someone like Nintendo. If you don't care about those things you can still buy Wii Sports for like $10 at gamestop and play it perfectly fine on the Wii U.

Bowling, Golf and Tennis are going to be awesome to play online. I hope they do the same thing with Wii Sports Resort.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Anyone wanna make their room look infinitely more awesome?

http://www.whatisblik.com/shop/explore?designer=11

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

citizenlowell posted:

I'm not so sure why you're hung up on the partition issue. I scored a 1TB drive for $40 that works with the Wii U, all of the drive is available for use with the Wii U and now that it's plugged in I don't expect I'll unplug it unless I move. None of that space is unusable to the Wii U. Getting a cheap drive and plugging it in and easy and it's the best experience I've had yet with expanding storage space on a console.

Because I don't like paying for stuff I'm not going to use. I'm the guy who doesn't supersize even if it's only a quarter, won't get cable for the sake of three good shows, and who maintains his car but didn't get a new one until the old one was 20 years old.

The WiiU requires their drives to have external power, which even if you can find it on the specs is not something that is clearly listed or sortable by in searches, but it looks like it's not on anything smaller than 500GB, and even then not often under a terabyte. At the high end of 20gigs a game I'd need to download 25 diffent games to fill it up. Meanwhile My PC's Terabyte drive is almost full of Steam games and other stuff, so if I could set aside half of that external drive to move things to it would take some of the sting off. When I jump on other people for listing Vita compatibility in the merits of a PS4 without including the price of the handheld in the cost, it would be unfair of me to not also consider that buying more than one bloatgame (not a measure of quality, just of size since Big N itself compresses them well) will require me to throw 40+ bucks into the pile that I can't make work for me in any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Bruceski posted:

Because I don't like paying for stuff I'm not going to use. I'm the guy who doesn't supersize even if it's only a quarter, won't get cable for the sake of three good shows, and who maintains his car but didn't get a new one until the old one was 20 years old.

The WiiU requires their drives to have external power, which even if you can find it on the specs is not something that is clearly listed or sortable by in searches, but it looks like it's not on anything smaller than 500GB, and even then not often under a terabyte. At the high end of 20gigs a game I'd need to download 25 diffent games to fill it up.

You can use a usb y cable when hooking up a hard drive to the Wii U to solve the power issue. You don't need to worry about an external power supply as that will take care of it for you, so you can use an external drive of any size and not be concerned about buying space that you won't use.

• Locked thread