Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

At least all but one of the comments are pointing out how absurd that article is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I got as far as the author's description of himself. Mind giving cliff notes?

vvv Thanks. I started reading the comments. I got this:

quote:

Dr. Binswanger is correct, Miss Anderson, communities do not do anything. Individuals do things, alone or in voluntary association with others.
Isn't the voluntary association with others pretty much the definition of what communities are?

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Business Gorillas posted:

"There is no such thing as 'community', something something Ayn Rand something something gently caress the poor."

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Beep boop all people are utility-maximizing robots beep boop, the market solves all problems.

Harry Binswanger’s Popular Posts posted:

With Gun Control, Cost Benefit Analysis Is Amoral
Oops, maybe not.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Isn't the voluntary association with others pretty much the definition of what communities are?

These people actually seem to believe that they have to have made a conscious choice to "associate" with others, on a person by person basis, in order for it to be a voluntary association with others.

There's no such thing as tacit acceptance of the social contract and society's rules by living in that (or any) society, taking advantage of the public goods provided by that society's collective work, and living under the protection of that society's rules.

These people literally do not understand that the tragedy of the commons is not a guidebook, they live their lives believing that it is their responsibility to take advantage of those resources that society has "forced" them to buy into, while simultaneously doing their damnedest to avoid contributing in any way to the pool that makes those resources possible.

I unabashedly despise any and all people who hold these views.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

quiggy posted:

"There is no such thing as 'community', something something Ayn Rand something something gently caress the poor."

I think the best parts need to be actually stated:
-People making over a million a year should be exempt from income taxes because they're just awesome at creating wealth for everyone
-CEO of Goldman Sachs should be held in the same moral regard as Mother Theresa

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Deal with libertarians long enough and the probability of them exposing their hatred of definitions goes to 1. You see the same thing with their definition of government.

"People should not have their freedom curtailed by the existence of governments. They should live in groups with mutually agreed upon rules enforced by the people."
"You mean...a government?"

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

ZobarStyl posted:

Deal with libertarians long enough and the probability of them exposing their hatred of definitions goes to 1. You see the same thing with their definition of government.

"People should not have their freedom curtailed by the existence of governments. They should live in groups with mutually agreed upon rules enforced by the people."
"You mean...a government?"

No, no, you see the government is bad, and the will of the people ("things I want") is good. As you can see these are mutually exclusive, and thus different.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Amused to Death posted:

This is the best. For all her faults, what is it that causes people to prop up Mother Theresa as an ideal of humanity? It's the fact that she dedicated her life to poverty and tried to improve the lives of the poor. And this is similar to the CEO of Goldman Sachs how, exactly?

Oh, right, doublethink. Carry on.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

quiggy posted:

This is the best. For all her faults, what is it that causes people to prop up Mother Theresa as an ideal of humanity? It's the fact that she dedicated her life to poverty and tried to improve the lives of the poor. And this is similar to the CEO of Goldman Sachs how, exactly?

Oh, right, doublethink. Carry on.

No you see Lloyd Blankfein generates huge amounts of social and economic utility by heading up a corporation that defrauds investors and performs massive rent-seeking actions across the entire spectrum of the political environment, subverting the very concept of representative democracy.

I say this in my capacity as a sociopath who gets paid to write about it.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

To be fair, from what some have reported about Mother Teresa, the comparison of her with a Goldman Sachs CEO may not be too far off.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Amused to Death posted:

I think the best parts need to be actually stated:
-People making over a million a year should be exempt from income taxes because they're just awesome at creating wealth for everyone

I honestly think this is satire, a la Poe's Law. Emphasis mine:

quote:

Here’s a modest proposal. Anyone who earns a million dollars or more should be exempt from all income taxes. Yes, it’s too little. And the real issue is not financial, but moral. So to augment the tax-exemption, in an annual public ceremony, the year’s top earner should be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Imagine the effect on our culture, particularly on the young, if the kind of fame and adulation bathing Lady Gaga attached to the more notable achievements of say, Warren Buffett. Or if the moral praise showered on Mother Teresa went to someone like Lloyd Blankfein, who, in guiding Goldman Sachs toward billions in profits, has done infinitely more for mankind. (Since profit is the market value of the product minus the market value of factors used, profit represents the value created.)

A modest proposal, if you're not familiar, is Jonathan Swift's idea of eating babies to alleviate hunger during the Irish Potato Famine, a pretty classic piece of satire, full text here.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 17, 2013

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

totalnewbie posted:

I honestly think this is satire.

Read the guy's other articles. It's trolling, but it's not satire.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Maybe it's just his schtick... :/

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

eviltastic posted:

Read the guy's other articles. It's trolling, but it's not satire.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would say, "I know it's in jest, but don't we owe it to ourselves to seriously consider Mr. Swift's proposal?"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

totalnewbie posted:

I honestly think this is satire, a la Poe's Law. Emphasis mine:

A modest proposal, if you're not familiar, is Jonathan Swift's idea of eating babies to alleviate hunger during the Irish Potato Famine, a pretty classic piece of satire, full text here.
Here's a tip for anyone out there who is interested in getting into the exciting field of satire:

Try to not have your satire look exactly like what a large group of people routinely say in utter seriousness.
I realize there are crazy people out there who make this a difficult task, but it's well worth the effort! :thumbsup:

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Venusian Weasel posted:

No, no, you see the government is bad, and the will of the people ("things I want") is good. As you can see these are mutually exclusive, and thus different.
It's really never more complicated than 'what's best for me is therefore best for the rest of you' with libertarians. See Rand Paul, whose freedom to not pay dues to a certification board is more important than his patient's freedom to not have their eyes hosed up by an incompetent shitheel.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

PeterWeller posted:

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would say, "I know it's in jest, but don't we owe it to ourselves to seriously consider Mr. Swift's proposal?"

Nah, one of Rand's inner circle might be reluctant to touch on the free market in children, that's Rothbard's thing and she hated Rothbard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

quote:

Dr. Binswanger is correct, Miss Anderson, communities do not do anything. Individuals do things, alone or in voluntary association with others.

Of course not. Remember when that one individual cleared all the Word Trade Center rubble, apprehended the shoe bomber then killed Osama bin Laden?

To bring us back on point for a moment: Rush was arguing today that the government shutdown of 1995 was a net positive, got Clinton to do what the GOP wanted and that modern Republicans are now too scared of "the media" going after them if they do it again.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

Here's a tip for anyone out there who is interested in getting into the exciting field of satire:

Try to not have your satire look exactly like what a large group of people routinely say in utter seriousness.
I realize there are crazy people out there who make this a difficult task, but it's well worth the effort! :thumbsup:

That's a bad tip. The best satirists are all but impossible to differentiate from the people they satirize. "A Modest Proposal" worked because it looked like a serious proposal for how to fix the "Irish Problem." Colbert's brilliance comes from acting just like Bill O'Reilly, but having people laugh at him for doing so.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/fox-news-shakes-up-primetime-sean-hannity-goes-to-10pm-megyn-kelly-gets-9pm-slot/

Deadline just reported the new Fox News primetime line-up, beginning on Oct. 7.

Greta Van Susteran at 7pm.
O'Reilly stays at 8pm.
Megyn Kelly at 9pm.
SEAN MOTHERFUCKING HANNITY is still on primetime, moved up to 10pm. gently caress.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

PeterWeller posted:

That's a bad tip. The best satirists are all but impossible to differentiate from the people they satirize. "A Modest Proposal" worked because it looked like a serious proposal for how to fix the "Irish Problem." Colbert's brilliance comes from acting just like Bill O'Reilly, but having people laugh at him for doing so.
Colbert is really easy to distinguish from an actual right-wing pundit though? Like, so easy that we make fun of and/or scratch our heads at the people who can't figure it out. I'd like to see more satire that looks like the Colbert Report, and less that looks like just some random rear end in a top hat unless you squint at it really hard in just the right way like it's some kind of political stereogram.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

eviltastic posted:

Nah, one of Rand's inner circle might be reluctant to touch on the free market in children, that's Rothbard's thing and she hated Rothbard.

Did someone in this thread link that passage from his work where he claims a thriving market in children would have positive effects in all aspects of the economy? I can't find the link and I forgot that name of the book/article.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

pentyne posted:

Did someone in this thread link that passage from his work where he claims a thriving market in children would have positive effects in all aspects of the economy? I can't find the link and I forgot that name of the book/article.

http://mises.org/rothbard/ethics/fourteen.asp

quote:

Now if a parent may own his child (within the framework of non-aggression and runaway-freedom), then he may also transfer that ownership to someone else. He may give the child out for adoption, or he may sell the rights to the child in a voluntary contract. In short, we must face the fact that the purely free society will have a flourishing free market in children. Superficially, this sounds monstrous and inhuman. But closer thought will reveal the superior humanism of such a market. For we must realize that there is a market for children now, but that since the government prohibits sale of children at a price, the parents may now only give their children away to a licensed adoption agency free of charge.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Guilty Spork posted:

Colbert is really easy to distinguish from an actual right-wing pundit though? Like, so easy that we make fun of and/or scratch our heads at the people who can't figure it out.
When he roasted the Bush Admin at that press dinner years ago and his character wasn't as famous, it was a lot easier to mistake him for a right-wing pundit if you didn't have cable and only saw/heard a few sound bytes. I would say now we mostly laugh at people for being oblivious to the context, not because the things he says are unbelievable compared to the people he mocks.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/fox-news-shakes-up-primetime-sean-hannity-goes-to-10pm-megyn-kelly-gets-9pm-slot/

Deadline just reported the new Fox News primetime line-up, beginning on Oct. 7.

Greta Van Susteran at 7pm.
O'Reilly stays at 8pm.
Megyn Kelly at 9pm.
SEAN MOTHERFUCKING HANNITY is still on primetime, moved up to 10pm. gently caress.

I'm not surprised that once they announced Shep's new role he was the odd man out. I thought Greta would be the odd man out, at least we can take solace Hannity's ratings will probably drop from being on later.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Vertical Lime posted:

I'm not surprised that once they announced Shep's new role he was the odd man out. I thought Greta would be the odd man out, at least we can take solace Hannity's ratings will probably drop from being on later.

Wait, what happened to that solid gold Shepard Smith?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

quote:

Now if a parent may own his child (within the framework of non-aggression and runaway-freedom), then he may also transfer that ownership to someone else. He may give the child out for adoption, or he may sell the rights to the child in a voluntary contract. In short, we must face the fact that the purely free society will have a flourishing free market in children. Superficially, this sounds monstrous and inhuman. But closer thought will reveal the superior humanism of such a market. For we must realize that there is a market for children now, but that since the government prohibits sale of children at a price, the parents may now only give their children away to a licensed adoption agency free of charge.

How many kids would I have to trade to move up to a first round draft pick? This is important to know.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Wait, what happened to that solid gold Shepard Smith?

He'll still have his 3PM show, but now he's supposed to be on call in the studio if anything breaks:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-09-12/entertainment/41996601_1_ceo-roger-ailes-megyn-kelly-news-team

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guilty Spork posted:

Colbert is really easy to distinguish from an actual right-wing pundit though?

Only because of the running gag of shameless self promotion and the blatancy of his own logical failings. His only real difference is that he's obvious.

Vertical Lime posted:

He'll still have his 3PM show, but now he's supposed to be on call in the studio if anything breaks:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-09-12/entertainment/41996601_1_ceo-roger-ailes-megyn-kelly-news-team

Really? THey're letting Shep Smith be everyones stand in guy? Isn't that 4 different kinds of dangerous for Fox?

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Really? THey're letting Shep Smith be everyones stand in guy? Isn't that 4 different kinds of dangerous for Fox?
I think he'll be mostly muzzled as a substitute host. He's got liberties on his own show, but the base would have aneurysms if they tuned into Hannity and instead it's Sheppo mocking nutcases.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

Colbert is really easy to distinguish from an actual right-wing pundit though? Like, so easy that we make fun of and/or scratch our heads at the people who can't figure it out. I'd like to see more satire that looks like the Colbert Report, and less that looks like just some random rear end in a top hat unless you squint at it really hard in just the right way like it's some kind of political stereogram.

Colbert is easy to distinguish from his context: thirty minute show spun off a fake new show on a channel dedicated to comedy. And bits like "The Word" contain clear enough winks and tip-offs, but what makes him so genius is that without that stuff, he is nearly indistinguishable from a Fox News pundit. He rarely drops character for more than a second, and it's either because he cracks up or because he's talking about something personal and non-political. That's how, despite all the context clues, there are people who believe that he is a conservative. Obviously, I'm only talking about his role on the show. He doesn't live the charade as made clear by his congressional appearance.

All satire requires some sort of wink or nod to indicate its purpose to the audience, but the more obvious that tell is, the less effective the satire is. The best Onion bits are those you don't immediately recognize as bits. Swift is held up as an example of great satire because "Proposal" does sound just like some random rear end in a top hat until you squint at it the right way, or what is more likely the case, your junior high English teacher lets you in on the joke.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

How many kids would I have to trade to move up to a first round draft pick? This is important to know.

I'd be more interested in child securities. Chop up the bought children and reassemble them into packages and sell those to consumers to get the best bang for your buck. Win-win situation for the consumer!

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Radish posted:

I'd be more interested in child securities. Chop up the bought children and reassemble them into packages and sell those to consumers to get the best bang for your buck. Win-win situation for the consumer!

"Well, you could go with the "Honor Roll" tranche, but that's a bit boring. I recommend the "Dropout" tranche. It's got a lot more risk, but you might wind up with the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs! Don't worry too much, though. Moody's has rated all of the tranches AAA."

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

How are u posted:

The author states upfront that he is an Ayn Rand Objectivist, so it helps to know the article was written by an actual sociopath.

It's amazing to me that someone would actually put that forward, right out front, and expect people to believe this means he should be taken seriously as a thinker; given that it's Forbes, he probably is.

I can't check at the moment, have objectivists started making GBS threads up the comments section yet?

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Nucleic Acids posted:

It's amazing to me that someone would actually put that forward, right out front, and expect people to believe this means he should be taken seriously as a thinker; given that it's Forbes, he probably is.

I can't check at the moment, have objectivists started making GBS threads up the comments section yet?

I didn't check that one, but the article linked in the sidebar about how Insider Trading should be totally legal and a contractual matter between businesses, rather than regulatory (he literally calls insider traders "Knowledge Seekers"), had all kinds of nut-licking sycophants, none of whom had ever read "The Market for Lemons", and consequently none of whom grasped the idea of market failure due to information asymmetries.

Objectivists are too stupid to live.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Markets also fail because of information... deformations? I don't know what to call it. Mass delusions. When the wisdom of crowds is better described as mob mentality. Unsurprisingly people like Binswanger sometimes miss that one.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I refuse to believe that piece of poo poo is capable of sleeping at night. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011
I read his name as Larry Bringswanker. Which totally fits the photo, by the way.

Jesus Christ, objectivists are objectively the worst.