Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I still don't think it's enough to attract casual players to a new system. Not having a physical copy in stores is going to decrease visibility to casual players. Preloading it onto systems would be nice to get people to buy the games, but it's not going to sell systems, and I doubt they will do that. Have they ever included software preloaded on the 3DS? Even the Wind Waker thing is a download code so they don't need to load anything different on the storage drive.

I like it because I already own a Wii U. Dropping 10 more bucks is nothing to me for Bowling again. But it is kind of sad that it took them this long to release an online Wii Sports, and they did only announce the same games they launched with 7 years ago. Looking at the Nintendo Direct it looks very low effort to be honest in terms of graphics/enhancements. If they wanted to sell the system, I would have expected a retail copy that had every single game in Wii Sports/Resort/Motion/Play into a huge combo package, throw in a bunch of new sports, add online play, and then sold it at system launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

^ I don't see 'casual' gamers wanting to upgrade. Anecdotally the ones I know who bought a Wii have no interest in an upgrade (and don't know what the Wii U is besides).

Crowbear posted:

Monster Hunter is ridiculous
1.7 million copies sold in one week :stare:

Details on last week's hardware numbers for Japan:

Media Create posted:

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)

3DS LL – 236,700 (60,077)
3DS – 40,092 (19,114)
PlayStation 3 – 12,146 (13,790)
PlayStation Vita – 6,020 (7,314)
PSP – 5,449 (5,493)
Wii U – 5,003 (5,702)

Even ignoring the 3DS it's still bad news. Will be interested to see how the Vita TV moves. Judging by Amazon.co.jp rankings it's outselling the Wii U by some margin, but whether than continues after launch will be interesting.

Slightly longer term, the outlook in Japan is reasonably positive; the PS4 and Bone aren't out until 2014 and judging by the previous, the PS4 will be the only competition. If the Wii U can't shift some serious numbers by February it's surely dead as a primary console. Rushed ports and first party games only!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
They should make WiiU SPORTS for the touchpad, I mean you can play video poker on it and that's a sport right??

Other players can waggle their super enhanced motion+ WiiUmotes to get the CPU controlled players to shake their fists after a bad bet!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Jet Set Jettison posted:

When Wii U party gets released they should bundle it with the system, and include the Free trials of Wii sports HD and Fit pre installed. That would be a real attractive system for a casual consumer I think.

If that happens, it won't happen until early/mid next year since Nintendo has already sent out Wind Waker bundled systems. Honestly, this is too little too late and comes off more of a reactionary move to poor sales than an actual well thought out and well planned project. If they were going to just redo Wii Sports games in HD then they should've had them done DAY ONE and made that priority.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edmund Honda posted:

Slightly longer term, the outlook in Japan is reasonably positive; the PS4 and Bone aren't out until 2014 and judging by the previous, the PS4 will be the only competition. If the Wii U can't shift some serious numbers by February it's surely dead as a primary console. Rushed ports and first party games only!
It's a dead console already, let's stop fooling outselves. The sales are literally flatlining and it's being outsold by its predecessor. Nothing's ever done this poorly.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

"We control the channel and have a loyal following so lets not use any of that for what is likely the most important announcement we could make in the next 6 months for our shareholders"

Yeah why announce it to the global media when you can tell the hardcore fans who already own the console and will buy every game anyway.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pisshead posted:

Yeah why announce it to the global media when you can tell the hardcore fans who already own the console and will buy every game anyway.
See also: E3, why bother when you have Nintendo Direct right guys

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

It's a dead console already, let's stop fooling outselves. The sales are literally flatlining and it's being outsold by its predecessor. Nothing's ever done this poorly.

The PS3 was outsold by the PS2 for a while after launch but it wasn't that it was selling 5k units a month, it was that the PS2 was still moving hundreds of thousands.

pisshead posted:

Of course they should still do that, but they had a Nintendo Direct which is supposed to be their personal way to reach out to their fanbase and then didn't bother to tell anyone they would be doing that. It's like having a hall reserved to speak at and then holding your meeting at a time you never told anyone about a topic you never said you'd talk about.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 18, 2013

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Edmund Honda posted:

I imagine the PS4 launching late in Japan is a big sign of how little they consider the Wii U to be a threat. They can afford to put Japan on the back burner because they have no real home console competition there.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

quote:

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)

3DS LL – 236,700 (60,077)
3DS – 40,092 (19,114)
PlayStation 3 – 12,146 (13,790)
PlayStation Vita – 6,020 (7,314)
PSP – 5,449 (5,493)
Wii U – 5,003 (5,702)

This is just pitiful.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

When Wii U party gets released they should bundle it with the system, and include the Free trials of Wii sports HD and Fit pre installed. That would be a real attractive system for a casual consumer I think.

Who are you trying to kid? No amount of dumb fitness games or mini-game compilations is going to attract casual gamers to the WiiU. They don't even know it EXISTS, and even if they did, why would they spend 300 dollars minimum on something that's going to collect just as much dust as their Wii?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Who are you trying to kid? No amount of dumb fitness games or mini-game compilations is going to attract casual gamers to the WiiU. They don't even know it EXISTS, and even if they did, why would they spend 300 dollars minimum on something that's going to collect just as much dust as their Wii?

They would buy the newest Wii Sports/Fit/Party for the the same reason people buy remakes and sequels? Its really not that complicated.

All Nintendo has to do is advertise it, which seems to be their biggest issue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jet Set Jettison posted:

They would buy the newest Wii Sports/Fit/Party for the the same reason people buy remakes and sequels? Its really not that complicated.

Except these people already did it once and know it collected dust. It'd be difficult to convince them to pay 50 bucks for another Wii title much less 300+ for a new system and title. While consumers tend to be pretty dumb about health fads and constantly fall for them they don't tend to repeat the same one especially ones with such a large upfront investment.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Well it's pretty comparable to the PS3 in terms of units sold after 3 quarters on the market, and that recovered to be pretty successful. I'm not going to pretend the situation is similar besides 'a poo poo launch' but there is that precedent.

A big game can move a shitload of consoles. Or it would if Nintendo bothered to market it. Wii Sports U is not that game, neither is the Zelda remake, maybe Mario 3D World? I wouldn't bank on it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Barudak posted:

Of course they should still do that, but they had a Nintendo Direct which is supposed to be their personal way to reach out to their fanbase and then didn't bother to tell anyone they would be doing that. It's like having a hall reserved to speak at and then holding your meeting at a time you never told anyone about a topic you never said you'd talk about.

Really? This is a reason to complain these days? That they didn't announce that an announcement was coming?

Barudak posted:

Except these people already did it once and know it collected dust. It'd be difficult to convince them to pay 50 bucks for another Wii title much less 300+ for a new system and title. While consumers tend to be pretty dumb about health fads and constantly fall for them they don't tend to repeat the same one especially ones with such a large upfront investment.

I agree. Wii Sports was a fad, and rereleasing Wii Sports will not sell systems. It's a nice perk for those that already have it though.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 18, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Really? This is a reason to complain these days? That they didn't announce that an announcement was coming?

Pretty much any announcement that doesn't involve travelling back through time to alter the November 2012 launch is going to get an angry response.

I mean, what literally happened today was that they announced an upgraded follow-up to a popular game that people liked. Disgraceful.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Edmund Honda posted:

Well it's pretty comparable to the PS3 in terms of units sold after 3 quarters on the market, and that recovered to be pretty successful. I'm not going to pretend the situation is similar besides 'a poo poo launch' but there is that precedent.

A big game can move a shitload of consoles. Or it would if Nintendo bothered to market it. Wii Sports U is not that game, neither is the Zelda remake, maybe Mario 3D World? I wouldn't bank on it.

I really do think 3D World could be that game. The general reaction when I show someone the E3 trailer is :aaaaa:, when it comes out I might even try and run a Demo of it in the store if we have an extra Wii U.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jet Set Jettison posted:

The only reason why these things sold was because they were the big "fad" item during their release. Even if nintendo does fix its marketing problems, people will still go "Oh that, I dont want that, I want this (current fad item) instead".

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Astro7x posted:

They might as well have just written it down and then mailed to to themselves for all the work they put into their marketing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Supercar Gautier posted:

Pretty much any announcement that doesn't involve travelling back through time to alter the November 2012 launch is going to get an angry response.

Yup... pretty much spot on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Edmund Honda posted:

In Japan, yeah. It's well under the US numbers, isn't it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro7x posted:

The announcement was poorly handled not that in and of itself it was bad. Nintendo Direct is already an audience limiting tool, it is designed to reach the Nintendo faithful which is relatively smart since it makes them into brand evangelizers. The issue at hand is that those individuals need to be empowered by feeling connected and informed by the brand; if you're going to rely on a smaller audience you need to make sure that smaller audience is there and included or you risk alienating them and wasting your time talking to less people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Hey, I'm an idiot. I think this is complicated. Please explain why the kind of person who doesn't usually play games, the kind that made the Wii a success, would spend the money to buy a WiiU so they can play a sequel to Wii Fit.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Jet Set Jettison posted:

It's also not as simple as you're making it. Quote me when the dust settles but even if they advertise the hell out of the system it won't move nearly as much as you're thinking it will.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Fallom posted:

Hey, I'm an idiot. I think this is complicated. Please explain why the kind of person who doesn't usually play games, the kind that made the Wii a success, would spend the money to buy a WiiU so they can play a sequel to Wii Fit.

Because it's now in HD! You should see how crisp those cartoon penguins look.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fallom posted:

Go ask someone sometime how much money they wasted on get fit quick items and how much they are still willing to spend "if it works".

If Nintendo was willing to go all out on the weight scale being the ultimate weight loss system but ONLY if you buy it with a Wii-U, there's easily a million lost souls out there who would be happy to do it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

So they announced Wii Sports HD, but the console doesn't come with Wiimotes? Am I missing something? :psyduck:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

So they announced Wii Sports HD, but the console doesn't come with Wiimotes? Am I missing something? :psyduck:

Get them yourself? Assuming you don't already have them. The rationale behind it was "There are so loving many in the wild and they've gotten so cheap since 06 that there'd be no point in bundling it."

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
I know people have said its a far fetched idea on re-releasing the Wii U with a new name and without the tablet controller, but after seeing info about the 2DS and the way they are marketing it, I believe if Nintendo was smart it really could become a success.

Call it the Wii 2 HD, price it at $249, have it backwards compatible with Wii U games, bundle 2 wii motion controllers and Wii Sports HD.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dundun posted:

I know people have said its a far fetched idea on re-releasing the Wii U with a new name and without the tablet controller, but after seeing info about the 2DS and the way they are marketing it, I believe if Nintendo was smart it really could become a success.

Call it the Wii 2 HD, price it at $249, have it backwards compatible with Wii U games, bundle 2 wii motion controllers and Wii Sports HD.

The major difference between the 2DS and your idea is that the 2DS can still play 100% of 3DS games. Your idea would eliminate or neuter a good chunk of the Wii U library. The tablet controller is part of the system. It isn't going anywhere unless they just ditch the system. It was probably a mistake but it's a mistake they're stuck with.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 18, 2013

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

dundun posted:

Probably the only chance this system has of doing even decently well this generation involves innovative use of the tablet controller. That and effective marketing.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

The major difference between the 2DS and your idea is that the 2DS can still play 100% of 3DS games. Your idea would eliminate or neuter a good chunk of the Wii U library.
Yeah, I hear the Wii U library is just overflowing with tablet controlled games these days.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Misandu posted:

Probably the only chance this system has of doing even decently well this generation involves innovative use of the tablet controller. That and effective marketing.

The keyword here is "Innovative". Guess what? It's going to be as "innovative" as the Wiimote, as in Nintendo makes a couple of games that make good use of it, but everyone else uses it as a map, or an inventory screen, or something else that could easily be done with a button on a regular controller. That controller isn't going to save WiiU - if anything, it's hurting them. The Wii was popular to casuals cause any idiot could waggle a stick. Expecting the same people to maneuver around an iPad combined with a dualshock is being delusional.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midee posted:

Yeah, I hear that Wii U library is just overflowing with tablet controlled games these days.

Pretty much every recent release is either tablet controlled or makes use of the tablet for features, yes. Even if the game doesn't require the tablet to play, it often comes at a cost to gameplay. Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101 both suffer without a tablet even if they're playable that way. Game in Wario (which I hated but whatever) would be completely unplayable. I'm not sure about the Wii U version of Rayman Legends but it had touch-screen based stuff at bare minimum. Presumably upcoming games are also going to continue to make use of it.

"Here is a Wii 2 HD, it can play some games (but without certain features) and other games not at all" isn't going to help them at all. It's just going to confuse people more. If they scrap the Wii U, it's going to be for a new system, not for a Wii U that is $50 cheaper and plays fewer games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 18, 2013

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much every recent release is either tablet controlled or makes use of the tablet for features, yes. Even if the game doesn't require the tablet to play, it often comes at a cost to gameplay. Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101 both suffer without a tablet even if they're playable that way. Game in Wario (which I hated but whatever) would be completely unplayable. I'm not sure about the Wii U version of Rayman Legends but it had touch-screen based stuff at bare minimum.
Wow, two whole games. Meanwhile, the games Nintendo is actually counting on to sell the system come holiday season look to be fully playable with regular controllers, unless I'm mistaken.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

Quote me when the dust settles but even if they advertise the hell out of the system it won't move nearly as much as you're thinking it will.

Well, at least the dust will have all these unsold WiiU's to settle on! Now that's synergy!

Midee posted:

Yeah, I hear the Wii U library is just overflowing with tablet controlled games these days.

Yeah, that tablet was a complete dumb move, since they won't sell the system without it, since there are games that use it, but there's so few of them that it's just driving up the price. Pretty much two things sold the Wii at launch: Price, and motion controls. With the tablet controller, Nintendo killed two birds with one stone, at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midee posted:

Wow, two whole games. Meanwhile, the games Nintendo is actually counting on to sell the system come holiday season look to be fully playable with regular controllers, unless I'm mistaken.

Mario 3D Land has gamepad features, you use it to move the environment and other things. Sonic does as well. Wind Waker HD has some but they're entirely optional (I think) being that it's a Gamecube port. I think Donkey Kong is entirely just regular gamepad controls though. I'm fairly sure Ubisoft said they're making extensive use of it in the Wii U port of Watch Dogs too, although I've not been keeping up on that version because gently caress not getting the next-gen version.

So... yes, you're mistaken. There's also presumably other games in development which at least assume the existence of a Gamepad. It is probably an albatross around Nintendo's neck but adding another version of the Wii U which plays neutered games is only going to confuse people more.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 18, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ImpAtom posted:

The major difference between the 2DS and your idea is that the 2DS can still play 100% of 3DS games. Your idea would eliminate or neuter a good chunk of the Wii U library. The tablet controller is part of the system. It isn't going anywhere unless they just ditch the system. It was probably a mistake but it's a mistake they're stuck with.

Plus a big reason why we got the 2DS was Nintendo moving to one screen instead of two. Nintendo needs to find a way to drop down the costs of the Gamepad, or maybe create some sort of software that can emulate the Gamepad sync.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if down the road there's a pad-less SKU, once the pads become available for purchase. Bundle it with a wiimote+nunchuck/pro controller instead and they could probably afford to sell it at $199.

Wonderful 101 uses the pad for shortcuts and such but it isn't necessary. Warioware is the only game I can think of that absolutely needs the tablet to function, and future big hitter titles (mario, smash, kart) can use other control schemes. So the tablet is just this really expensive anchor.

I work from home so it's just loving neat that I can play Mass Effect 3, monster hunter, etc. on the tablet while I work or take a poo poo, and I imagine it's useful if you have kids or just like to watch TV and game at the same time, but other than that there just isn't much appeal to the thing.

The sooner Nintendo mandates devs have all their games support the Pro controller and drop the pad, the better.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if down the road there's a pad-less SKU, once the pads become available for purchase. Bundle it with a wiimote+nunchuck/pro controller instead and they could probably afford to sell it at $199.

This will never happen, they'd basically be selling a 360/PS3 with a little more power. The gamepad was their "innovation" this time around and unless the WiiU pulls a 3DS and bounces back from oblivion and gives them wiggle room to split the install base like that, you won't see this. The 3D on the 3DS didn't take off as well as Nintendo had hoped but the install base is fueled by solid software, so they were able to remove the 3D and cut costs without affecting the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Mario 3D Land has gamepad features, you use it to move the environment and other things. Sonic does as well. Wind Waker HD has some but they're entirely optional (I think) being that it's a Gamecube port. I think Donkey Kong is entirely just regular gamepad controls though. I'm fairly sure Ubisoft said they're making extensive use of it in the Wii U port of Watch Dogs too, although I've not been keeping up on that version because gently caress not getting the next-gen version.

So... yes, you're mistaken.
Mario 3D World's "features" are rubbing the screen to see hidden blocks, touching enemies to stop them, and petting a dinosaur. Other than that it looks perfectly playable with a remote or pro controller, and it should be since it's four player. Sonic Lost World needs a gamepad but will be outsold by the 3DS version and won't move Wii U systems, even if the 3DS version blows.

• Locked thread