Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

KF1 (JP) has a translation patch and it's a little crashy but playable. It's also super short. It's not very good.

King's Field 2 (US) is probably my favorite that I've played but seriously, just go play Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, they're infinitely better games. When you're done with those, play Arx Fatalis.

Those are some of my favs which is also why I'm interested in the KF games. Speaking of which, has anyone released a truly improved way to play any of those? Like improved interfaces, remakes, etc. I know the Arx Fatalis engine was open sourced so I assume there's been a lot of tinkering but last I checked it was all just linux port stuff that broke as much as it improved.

Interfaces in old 3d/first person games age particularly poorly for me. I just am too used to contemporary control methods and I constantly feel like I'm doing everything backwards. The last time I tried to go back to UU1 the interface was killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain Walker posted:

poo poo fucks. So much for ever seeing any of my favorite cult Japanese games ever again :negative:

I'm less worried about Atlus USA (hopefully they'll be able to keep operations going as usual, but there are many other localization companies with more springing up, with now indie localizers like Carpe Fulgar as well) and am more worried about Atlus the game developer. It would be a real tragedy for the Japanese RPG industry if SMT and Persona went to poo poo either because of Sega interference or if everyone important at Atlus bails.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm less worried about Atlus USA (hopefully they'll be able to keep operations going as usual, but there are many other localization companies with more springing up, with now indie localizers like Carpe Fulgar as well) and am more worried about Atlus the game developer. It would be a real tragedy for the Japanese RPG industry if SMT and Persona went to poo poo either because of Sega interference or if everyone important at Atlus bails.

Sega aren't really known for interfering, though. There are far worse publishers they could've ended up in the hands of. And quite frankly it'll probably mean we get some releases on time in PAL regions.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Sega's pretty awesome, what a dumb thing to whine about.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anyone know when Xenoblade Chronicles starts to pick up? I've been trying it because everybody is all "omg best JRPG in a decade" over it, but I'm about one and a half hours in now and it honestly looks pretty generic to me so far.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The second area is when the setting really sinks in. If you don't care for the setting, then I think it's a a little bit further in before the story becomes real and you can just follow the story and ignore side quests at that point.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Wendell posted:

Sega's pretty awesome, what a dumb thing to whine about.

Are we talking about the same publisher who decided to remove content from Yakuza 3 because it wouldn't 'click' with western audiences?

At least they didn't pull that twice with Yakuza 4.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Anyone know when Xenoblade Chronicles starts to pick up? I've been trying it because everybody is all "omg best JRPG in a decade" over it, but I'm about one and a half hours in now and it honestly looks pretty generic to me so far.

Once you get into the Bionis Leg and start doing side quests and exploring that, you'll know whether or not you'll like the rest of the game, more or less. That's about two or three hours in. You can and probably should skip most of the early Colony 9 side stuff just to get moving.

To be fair, I feel like the game is overhyped here, mostly due to Louisgod stickying threads and calling it the best RPG ever and whatnot. It's really good I thought but man, it's not THAT good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think it's pretty overhyped myself as well. I always likened it much more to a JRPG story that takes place in a single player MMO due to the sheer volume of inane side quests and settings that are largely unused. It's a fun ride but not one I'm ever going to ride a second time or anything.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 18, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I like Xenoblade, but I think to some degree it gets way overhyped. It is a good game but it isn't really a religious experience and a lot of the "BEST JRPG EVER COMPLETELY REINVENTS THE GENRE" stuff seems to assume that the only other JRPG you've played is Final Fantasy.

I mean it's still a drat good JRPG but if you go in expecting a religious experience it's easy to be disappointed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rascyc posted:

I think it's pretty overhyped myself as well. I always likened it much more to a JRPG story that takes place in a single player MMO due to the sheer volume of inane side quests and settings that are largely unused. It's a fun ride but not one I'm ever going to ride a second time or anything.
Well, that sounds amazing already. Anything interesting to say about the gameplay or character development options, at least? Or does that stay "use arts 1, 2, 3, wait for cooldown, repeat" until the end of the game, too?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really enjoyed the massive environments, myself. Some of the characters only have one-dimensional development opportunities (like Shulk and Reyn, the first two, unfortunately) but some can be developed in some really interesting ways, like making one of your later characters an armor-less dodge tank for example. The skill link system opens up some opportunities to customize characters in more detail. Other characters have different interesting play styles, such as one that focuses on comboing strings of arts, or another that summons and discharges auras. If you ever get bored of playing Shulk you can always make another party member the party leader and play as them.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
As long as you don't overlevel you need to use your special attacks wisely to defeat the bosses. There's also a ton of optional hard fights. Every character is unique so it's fun to switch them around. I played that game for 130 hours and I regret nothing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Finished the main story for Radiant Historia, doing all the rest of the sidequests and whatnot. Game gets surprisingly difficult near the end, especially if you haven't been keeping tabs with items/equipment. For the grief I gave the game for basically railroading you through the story despite time travel shenanigans, the implementation of all the sidequests is exactly what I was looking for from its main gimmick all along. Also Marco turning heel and party killing your team cause of his not-girlfriend is the greatest bad ending in anything ever.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, that sounds amazing already. Anything interesting to say about the gameplay or character development options, at least? Or does that stay "use arts 1, 2, 3, wait for cooldown, repeat" until the end of the game, too?

Not really. There's one character that is best used as "activate buff, autoattack" but pretty much everyone else you just find the right order of arts to use and spam them on recharge.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sega aren't really known for interfering, though. There are far worse publishers they could've ended up in the hands of. And quite frankly it'll probably mean we get some releases on time in PAL regions.

I just hope this marks a return to bizarre dreamcast era games. Because let's not forget how rock solid the DC library was from Sega.

With all the strides that sandbox games have made, a new and better Crazy Taxi is possible. Not only that but you could also probably fully customize your Taxi and character this time around. Come up with some bizarre world saving storyline that involves taxis crashing through buildings and cities that have loop de loops as part of their highways and you're golden for Story mode.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 18, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

I just hope this marks a return to bizarre dreamcast era games.

Seaman HD starring George Takei

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

Seaman HD starring George Takei

Dear god I would buy a loving Ouya for that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Dear god I would buy a loving Ouya for that.

So would I....

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a couple of ways to play the game as far as composition and characters. Don't feel like you have to control a specific character or anything (although there are some that function WAY better in player controls, like Riki and the spell caster chick). Also don't think you have to use the holy trinity of tank-dps-healer either. You can pretty much field whatever and be fine as long as you understand your mechanics.

Really I think the character gimmicks and combat was the one thing I enjoyed the most about the game. I ignored every single stupid rear end side quest and still feel like I got fun mechanics and a good RPG out of it. I swapped parties very aggressively (except Riki, I hate that guy, an unpopular opinion on these boards I know!) and had a lot of fun as a result. Also a lot of barbie dress up with the armor sets.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't like Riki either, but he is an incredible party member. Shulk, Riki, Dunban is an unstoppable wave of destruction.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Riki is a BEAST if you use him properly. It took me until the postgame to figure that out, though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I think once you get good with everything, triple DPS is always the most fun.

There's also a bunch of sub-systems that probably haven't been revealed to you yet regarding the Monado or whatever the hell it's called, so you have that to look forward to as well.

Honestly when I sit down and think about it, the beginning of that game really does kind of suck so just power through it and see where you go.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
The seventh party member is also a complete enemy shredder. That character, Rikki, and Dunban were my team of destruction.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The beginning is probably the worst part. Once the story gets going its better then any other console JRPG this gen.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mill Village posted:

The beginning is probably the worst part. Once the story gets going its better then any other console JRPG this gen.

Speaking of which, a slow beginning certainly isn't specific to Xenoblade and I wonder if this is a problem that the genre can actually solve. Whether we're talking WRPGs or JRPGs or SRPGs or any sort of variant in between, the one constant I've noticed in almost every one of them I've played is that the first 2-4 hours are mediocre at best, and more often than not terrible. It makes it difficult to start new RPGs for me because I'm always expecting the inevitable slog through the long introductory portions (before getting into the real meat of the game) where your character(s) suck and you can't really do anything except attack or heal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder if this is a problem that the genre can actually solve. Whether we're talking WRPGs or JRPGs or SRPGs or any sort of variant in between, the one constant I've noticed in almost every one of them I've played is that the first 2-4 hours are mediocre at best, and more often than not terrible. It makes it difficult to start new RPGs for me because I'm always expecting the inevitable slog through the long introductory portions before getting into the real meat of the game where your character(s) suck and you can't really do anything except attack or heal.

Yeah its a very serious problem with having your tutorial and making it engaging. Although Chrono Trigger exists so any game should at least be half that cool in the first hour.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm kinda fond of FF7's approach, honestly.

Cool FMV zooming in on the city and such, down into the train pulling into a station and then your main character jumps out of it and directly into a fight.

Once you're done in the reactor poo poo slows the hell down, though, if I remember correctly.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Speaking of which, a slow beginning certainly isn't specific to Xenoblade and I wonder if this is a problem that the genre can actually solve. Whether we're talking WRPGs or JRPGs or SRPGs or any sort of variant in between, the one constant I've noticed in almost every one of them I've played is that the first 2-4 hours are mediocre at best, and more often than not terrible. It makes it difficult to start new RPGs for me because I'm always expecting the inevitable slog through the long introductory portions (before getting into the real meat of the game) where your character(s) suck and you can't really do anything except attack or heal.

Ni No Kuni was the opposite. The first 4 hours were the best then it tapers off.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What I think is Xenoblade's true triumph that is often understated is how explorable it is. The environments are huge. See that place over there? You can probably go there (in fact, I was convinced of the game's awesomeness when I could jump off the bridge in the starting town, into the lake below, and swim over to an island in the distance). You don't have to, but you'll want to, because you get XP for it. And a nice view, and maybe a warp spot and some treasure. My favorite is the slippedy slide in the snowy area, leading onto the mountaintop with lvl 90 enemies. And then you jump off the mountain into a pool 2km below. Just amazing.

The sidequests on the other hand are typical inane JRPG bullshit. Read a guide, you aren't figuring these out by yourself. Or actually, they're worse than typical JRPG bullshit since every town has A Million NPCs, who shuffle in and out by the hour. Good luck finding Popiko in the nopon tree.

But luckily all of this can and should be ignored in favor of accepting all quests you see on your way and then doing the ones that are convenient.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Nah man. The sidequests in Xenoblade aren't even as good as typical JRPG bullshit. It's loving typical MMORPG bullshit, which is an order of magnitude worse (and there are way too many of them.)

gently caress Xenoblade's sidequests.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
And of course the ones that actually have noticeable rewards are all at the end of long sidequest chains. :shepicide:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
You guys are really making me want a Wii for Xenoblade. I do not have the money for this, stop it.

Nalmontes
Apr 19, 2013
I think it was the sidequests that prevented me from beating Xenoblade. It felt like I had to do every single one. I possibly spent five hours in colony 9 just doing sidequests and collecting things and this was before the plot started.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Million Ghosts posted:

You guys are really making me want a Wii for Xenoblade. I do not have the money for this, stop it.

You can use an emulator on your PC to at least try it out first.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Doflamingo posted:

You can use an emulator on your PC to at least try it out first.

I could if my laptop was a PC and could handle Dolphin. Not the case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

Nah man. The sidequests in Xenoblade aren't even as good as typical JRPG bullshit. It's loving typical MMORPG bullshit, which is an order of magnitude worse (and there are way too many of them.)

gently caress Xenoblade's sidequests.

The lovely "kill x monsters" mmo quests are at least instantly redeemed upon completion so you don't have to track down a dozen NPCs. I never bothered to do all of them, I just grab all the ones I see and then complete them as I move forward in the story. If they're out of the way or whatever, I never did them. It never felt overbearing or especially bad to me. Just extra rewards for doing stuff you'd otherwise by doing anyways. There are some actually pretty good side quests with their own plot lines that aren't bad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The lovely "kill x monsters" mmo quests are at least instantly redeemed upon completion so you don't have to track down a dozen NPCs. I never bothered to do all of them, I just grab all the ones I see and then complete them as I move forward in the story. If they're out of the way or whatever, I never did them. It never felt overbearing or especially bad to me. Just extra rewards for doing stuff you'd otherwise by doing anyways. There are some actually pretty good side quests with their own plot lines that aren't bad.

The problem is, in order to get the extra skill trees and the like, you have to do most of those sidequests. The actual plot sidequests are hidden behind a seemingly endless stream of MMORPG bullshit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

everyone posted:

:words:
Jesus. I think I'll just stop right now and save myself the agony.

Million Ghosts posted:

Man, I don't know. I'm not really enjoying myself right now and the answers in this thread don't really make it sound like I'll have more fun later. I mean, I'm trying, but I'm starting to think I might be better off exchanging this for Metroid Prime or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Say you want Shulk's extra skill tree quest in Colony 9. How do you get the quest? Why, raise Colony 9's affinity! How do you do that? Do all of the sidequests. For doing sidequests, you are rewarded with more sidequests, and only reason you are doing any of this is for the ulti-sidequest, Colony 6, which I'm pretty sure requires something approaching 100% completion to itself complete.