Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
watch the video, it shows her in normal-face several times. Her whole family is pretty good looking, too bad shes nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Sarkimedes posted:

I remember seeing a very similar thing on Dragon's Den a few years back - I think it was necklaces with a special symbol attached, not wristbands, but the intent was basically the same. It was a couple of middle-aged ladies who came up with it, not a guy, so I guess there's at least 3 people who are crazy enough to think this idea is worth anything at all. One of the biggest problems I can see with it, aside from the fact that you might as well just write "Lonely and Desperate" across your forehead, is that it would only work if a significant number of people bought and wore them. I'm not really sure what that number would be, but those 2 ladies on Dragon's Den tried and failed to get a similar investment and were shot down partially because they simply wouldn't be able to manufacture enough to get it off the ground in the UK, even with that investment - now imagine trying to do a similar thing with the same resources in a country with about 5 times the population, and it's pretty clear that this project was doomed from birth.

I can't find the video right now, but if anyone can find it then check out that Dragon's Den segment - they do a far better job of shooting this idea down than I can.

EDIT: If anyone's not sure what Dragon's Den is, it's a TV show where entrepreneurs try and get investments from a group of successful businessmen/women. Wikipedia tells me it was called Shark Tank over in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmOey25Jbyo

"Ting a tang". This is even worse.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

PuntCuncher posted:

Stating the obvious, they're completely bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoKwbbnlxi0
She almost seems sensible in the interview segments (which coincidentally is the only time she looks normal), but then everything else quickly goes batshit insane. :stare:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Dr. Buttass posted:

No foolin', I was once in contact with a guy who was looking for a freelance animator to make a short film. He wanted it cel animated and he wanted me to do it all by my lonesome. The script was at best questionable; basically, it was two to three minutes of an assortment of people and creatures dying in rather unpleasant ways, often shortly after they were directly responsible for something else's untimely demise (so, for example, a dragonfly gets eaten by a frog, which gets stomped on by a couple of kids, who get incinerated by an atomic blast; this was a couple years ago but I'm almost positive I remember this literally being in the script) and also it used "homeboys" unironically. Since it was still work, though, I told him I could totally do it, but it was going to take me around nine months and would cost him around $32000. His first response was, "lol I hope you mean $3200," whereupon I had to explain to him that A) that came out to around $2 an hour, and B) a whole group of freelancers or even a studio could do it faster but would also cost him about the same because it was basically the same amount of work in man-hours spread out over multiple people. So he said, "poo poo, I guess I better take this to kickstarter." And I never heard from him again.

In retrospect I may have been making a rather ungenerous estimate of my own working speed but that's neither here nor there.

If you happen to see the project on IGG or KickStarter, please do post it. The sounds like a wonderful train wreck in the making.

A Strap Pack is like a purse, but for men who for some reason have a problem with carrying an actual purse. To show how masculine this product really is, the project lead has named all of the reward tiers after military ranks, you get a special 'double 0' club card for being a backer, and the device's design is inspired by gun holsters. An actual phrase overheard in the video: 'better for your back, better for your masculinity'.

I'm sure this project was intended as a joke, and I'm sure the guys who run KickStarter think it's hilarious, but that doesn't change the fact some person wants $15,027 dollars to release a film that's just him staring at the camera for half an hour. To be fair, at least he knows how to properly use a camera. Unlike this fellow, who somehow managed to make a pitch video that's 47 seconds of darkness and background noise. What's his pitch for? He wants to write, shoot, produce, promote and distribute a movie.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Just saw the interview.

Not sure how much she did to her face but during the interview segments, she's actually very pretty. Her sister as well so it would seem that she had good genes.

Then she goes into this religious and pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo nonsense and about how if nuns talk about philosophy no one would listen so she justifies using her appearance to talk about her beliefs.

And we all know that the bindi has evolved from a religious symbol to a fashion statement. But come on, it is the female equivalent of Fred Perry, Natty Ice and popped collar polos.

Edit: Also wow at the Strap Pack. I have no problems strapping my girlfriend's pink handbag on my shoulder but gently caress that if I am going to be seen dead with that. I wonder how much they paid those models to look so undignified.

jerichojx has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Sep 18, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

A Strap Pack is like a purse, but for men who for some reason have a problem with carrying an actual purse. To show how masculine this product really is, the project lead has named all of the reward tiers after military ranks, you get a special 'double 0' club card for being a backer, and the device's design is inspired by gun holsters. An actual phrase overheard in the video: 'better for your back, better for your masculinity'.
Well those certainly don't look dorky as gently caress and super uncomfortable.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

Who wants to ever have their arms wrest at their sides again?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Unlike this fellow, who somehow managed to make a pitch video that's 47 seconds of darkness and background noise. What's his pitch for? He wants to write, shoot, produce, promote and distribute a movie.
The pitch video seems to be a desktop recording of a Youtube video now. :confused:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TetsuoTW posted:

Also wearing one under a suit seems like a good way to get shot.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I cannot imagine what it must be like to be so insecure about your penis' existence and your preference for inserting it into vaginas that the very idea of men carrying bags makes you afraid that either your dick is about to fall off or it's going to suddenly find itself inside a butt.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Zybourne Clock posted:

I'm not going to give this guy money, nor do I get the "selling masculinty" thing. But that actually looks like something that would be useful. Call me crazy, but modular ergonomic bags/storage actually seems like a pretty good idea.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm not going to give this guy money, nor do I get the "selling masculinty" thing. But that actually looks like something that would be useful. Call me crazy, but modular ergonomic bags/storage actually seems like a pretty good idea.

They're marketing it wrong, I'd buy one for motorcycling in a heartbeat.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Except that they're clearly less useful and comfortable than the shoulder bags that already exist. Try to imagine carrying anything that wasn't a laptop and ONE hardcover book in one of those things.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Walk around for an afternoon with two decent sized hardcover books hanging directly under your armpits and see how much of a good idea it sounds like after that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ZombieLenin posted:

Call me crazy, but modular ergonomic bags/storage actually seems like a pretty good idea.

What, you mean like bags that have multiple compartments and access points...maybe even with more than one of those compartments accessible from the outside...like the way most backpacks are designed?

Or do you mean a bag with multiple little detachable modules rattling about that can get caught on stuff or fall off or fail structurally or just generally look lovely? Because that sounds stupid as all hell.

There's nothing ergonomic about this guy's project- at least nothing that makes it even remotely more ergonomic than any of the variety of bags already on the market.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Zybourne Clock posted:

If you happen to see the project on IGG or KickStarter, please do post it. The sounds like a wonderful train wreck in the making.

I'm sure this project was intended as a joke, and I'm sure the guys who run KickStarter think it's hilarious, but that doesn't change the fact some person wants $15,027 dollars to release a film that's just him staring at the camera for half an hour. To be fair, at least he knows how to properly use a camera. Unlike this fellow, who somehow managed to make a pitch video that's 47 seconds of darkness and background noise. What's his pitch for? He wants to write, shoot, produce, promote and distribute a movie.

I got a manly solution to the strap pack.

It's called a goddamn backpack.

Kilo147 has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Sep 18, 2013

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, except these ones look exactly like the kind of thing that would turn you into a TSA Agent's girlfriend.

Like, for real. It looks like a fancy leather explosive vest.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

Man I wear a backpack with purple tiger patterns on it because it's outrageous. True masculinity is in not giving a poo poo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

a medical mystery posted:

Man I wear a backpack with purple tiger patterns on it because it's outrageous. True masculinity is in not giving a poo poo.

…along the dame lines, a real man wears pink becuase he won't have enough fasion sense to figure out it's a horrible colour.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tippis posted:

…along the dame lines, a real man wears pink becuase he won't have enough fasion sense to figure out it's a horrible colour.

It's all just a pantomime, isn't it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jedit posted:

It's all just a pantomime, isn't it?

That, and there are enough conflicting social conventions about what one is “supposed to be like” that pretty much any kind of prejudice can be turned completely on its head by a careful selection and application of the rules and etiquette to follow.

Either way, though, I can't help to agree that those not-purses will most likely get you body-tackled by some overzealous security guy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The primary disadvantage of a backpack is that you can't wear it over a suit without it looking awful and messing up the suit. That's one major reason for a man to have a shoulder bag or briefcase instead of a backpack. This thing solves none of those issues while still looking like rear end.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/780359248/the-unplugging-box-give-the-gift-of-unplugging?ref=live

quote:

About the project

Tech addict, nomophobic, phubber – each month brings new words that we use to describe those of us that have a problem spending some time away from a screen. In fact, chances are that you could quite quickly point out which of your family and friends could do with some time away from their tech. And that’s where The Unplugging Box comes in. A little kit packed full of inspiration to convince the tech addicts in your life of the benefits of regular unplugging.

This would be more or less respectable if their execution (what part of it they've bothered to show off, anyhow) didn't reek of vapid inspirational-sounding drivel. I mean, look at this:

quote:

At meals, use your hands to break bread, not to text or e-mail.

Seriously, "break bread"? If these people give a rat's rear end about meaningfully spreading their message, maybe they shouldn't be targeting people who were collecting Social Security when the first iPhone was announced.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cockmaster posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/780359248/the-unplugging-box-give-the-gift-of-unplugging?ref=live

This would be more or less respectable if their execution (what part of it they've bothered to show off, anyhow) didn't reek of vapid inspirational-sounding drivel. I mean, look at this:

Seriously, "break bread"? If these people give a rat's rear end about meaningfully spreading their message, maybe they shouldn't be targeting people who were collecting Social Security when the first iPhone was announced.

Also it's just poorly written copy that flows terribly both visually and when spoken out loud.

Although I would be ok with an "unplugging bat" and maybe a little badge or sash for designated proctors to smash the fingers of anyone who tries to browse the web or play cell phone games while eating with other people at restaurants because, for real, gently caress that poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's just a drat restaurant man, chill.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
There's been a game going on for a while now where everyone at the table stacks their phones in the center, and the first person to check theirs before the check comes has to pick up the entire bill. It doesn't take a kickstarter of insipid messages to stop people, all it takes is the fear of paying the entire bill.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cockmaster posted:

"Greet the day by the light of the sun, not the glow of your phone."
gently caress you, judgmental kickstarter. Half the year I have to get up before sunrise. The phone glow is the only light :argh:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Does anyone remember that KickStarter campaign to send two rappers to North Korea so they can shoot a clip there? It got funded. :stare:

There's this ad under the forums for some card game called 'Alteil Horizons'. The project itself doesn't appear to be awful, but the mystery artist they decided to hire most definitely is. How can anyone look at Tim Buckley's work/reputation and think 'yes, this is the guy we need to reinforce our team of artists/promote our KickStarter'?

Zybourne Clock has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Sep 19, 2013

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

Does anyone remember that KickStarter campaign to send two rappers to North Korea so they can shoot a clip there? It got funded. :stare:

There's this ad under the forums for some card game called 'Alteil Horizons'. The project itself doesn't appear to be awful, but the mystery artist they decided to hire most definitely is. How can anyone can look at Tim Buckley's work/reputation and think 'yes, this is the guy we need to reinforce our team of artists/promote our KickStarter'?
He's been pimping it on the regular KS thread, you can guess how well that went.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
The most Dark and Twisted® game ever!

The only thing dark and twisted about this is that he can't spell for poo poo, and spells "Destruction Ark" instead of using "Arc" live every other part of that chart. Five girls and Sage, I'm guessing Sage is his self-insert?

OH, and it seems he's doing that Brutal Carnage thing where there are 'stretch goals' that are what gets the game made. So, theoretically, 80,000 gets... wait, this is confusing.

Huh posted:

If the goal for the paradise arc is met, the players will be able to go onto the final chapters of the game, after the players defeat Dr Luna, and learn the truth of Sage and the one controlling Luna’s actions.

Oh, I see. So unless he gets double the amount, he actually holds the ending of the game ransom. Not that anyone cared, but it's still one of the shittiest gestures in history.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Sep 19, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is that not against the Kickstarter TOS (not that KS has traditionally cared)? "I'm not going to deliver a final product unless I get way more than I initially asked for."

Not that the world is going to be any worse off for the thing not being released, because good lord he has some issues with the English language.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

It sounds more like a badly worded 'true ending' to me.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Subutai Corporation has announced via a public update that its Kickstarted title Clang has run out of funding and has reverted to an "evenings and weekends" project until new investors can be found.

In mid-2012, Subutai Corporation and its chairman, novelist Neal Stephenson, launched a successful Kickstarter to fund Clang, a new type of swordfighting game with custom peripherals. The Kickstarter raised $526,000, narrowly exceeding its pledge target, and the developers went to work. Then, in April of this year, the frequency of status updates on the game's development fizzled to nothing.

"Sending out a vague update about inconclusive, ongoing conversations with potential investors doesn't seem nearly as attractive as waiting a couple more weeks for a deal to actually come through," the team says in the new post. However, it says run into trouble closing any such deal with anyone. "We don't match the profile, or the timing, of [venture capitalists'] fund/investment strategy... Potential investors/publishers are worried about our team."

In short, rather than set the game's Kickstarter goal to fund the entirety of the project, Subutai used the $500,000 funding target to drive the first lap of development, with the optimism it could find conventional funding to complete development down the road. Unfortunately, that funding hasn't materialized.

"The overall climate in the industry has become risk-averse to a degree that is difficult to appreciate until you've seen it," Subutai explains. "While we have been working on Clang, two major video game publishers, THQ and LucasArts, have gone out of business. Others have fallen on hard times. The current generation of consoles is coming to the end of its life cycle. Rather than invest in innovative new titles, the still-surviving publishers tend to keep their heads down, grinding out sequels and extensions to well-worn triple-A franchises."

Combine this risk-aversion with Subutai's own admission that it "punches above its weight," and development has reached deadlock.

Subutai says Clang is to continue on a volunteer basis until further funding can be obtained. In the mean time, it appeals to backers to fund a similarly-minded project, STEM.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Wow, that is really really lovely.

quote:

LESSONS LEARNED

--Kickstarter lock-in. Kickstarter is amazing, but one of the hidden catches is that once you have taken a bunch of people's money to do a thing, you have to actually do that thing, and not some other thing that you thought up in the meantime.

Yeah, that's one of those crazy quirky things about Kickstarter. They don't really tell you about it either. Oh well, you live, you learn, right guys?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Was Subutai open from the start that the Kickstarter campaign was only for first round fundraising, or was this something they announced after they blew half a million bucks on hookers and swords?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Noni posted:

Was Subutai open from the start that the Kickstarter campaign was only for first round fundraising, or was this something they announced after they blew half a million bucks on hookers and swords?

They didn't mention that the Kickstarter was only for the initial funds to try and attract other investors until this latest update, I believe.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I'm not sure, the previous update (#40) quoted from their original kickstarter page:

Original description posted:

Raising an army (or, in this case, building an enormous story-driven video game) is an expensive proposition and can take a number of years. In keeping with the scrappy, ragtag band of adventurers model, we are building this larger vision one step at a time. The next step is to build a functional proof of concept in the form of an exciting prototype we can share with you and use to achieve our next level of funding--which will enable us to provide more character models, more environments, and more MASEs. Which is to say, other weapons and styles from other places and eras.
(bolding mine.)

Which they followed up with a "whelp, done":

Update #40 posted:

With this release, we are delivering on that commitment in the hopes that doing so will position us to move on to that next level of funding and continue our quest to build the larger vision of CLANG.

So I'm not sure, you'd think I'd remember what I actually backed but I don't and since I don't even have a Hydra or STEM or whatever, I haven't even downloaded their alpha. I hope they get additional funding, and I'm not mad at them. I sure hope they got shiny swords and hookers, though.

Grim Up North has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Sep 20, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Noni posted:

Nothing in the initial pitch mentioned this wrinkle.

But the "Give us some money to prototype, and then we'll get picked up by a real investor" strategy ended up working for the OUYA.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Toffile posted:

Nothing in the initial pitch mentioned this wrinkle.

But the "Give us some money to prototype, and then we'll get picked up by a real investor" strategy ended up working for the OUYA.

The actually did mention it in one sentence on their cluttered as hell pitch. I suppose a new style kickstarter page with the more formal layout and "risks" section would have shown it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

a medical mystery posted:

True masculinity is in not giving a poo poo.

As a little kid my best friends father had complete meltdowns over his wife buying their son pieces of clothing that had feminine colors, like red. One early morning they found him swinging from a tree close to the house. He had some weird ideas about masculinity.