Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amyclas
Mar 9, 2013

I play world of tanks from Singapore with a home-brewed clan that includes a bunch of Aussies and a NewZealander. We were playing on the US server until they moved our part of the world to the SEA server (based in Singapore) which we thought we'd join for better ping/latency.

Knowing Singapore's pet peeve for racial and religious tolerance, I started spamming the chats with "I hate Asians"... "That's why I play on SEA server, so I get to shoot Asian people!" and watch the comedic outrage. Sometimes I can get people so mad that the team-killing attempts start.

Sometimes I admit to the pubbies: "I am Asian! ... and I hate Asians! ...and I love this server where I get to shoot at Asians!" And get even more rage from the public. It's also hilarious when half the players on both sides threaten to kill me, but my platoon somehow manages to be the last tanks standing. Insult everybody: but bring 3 high tier heavy tanks to back yourself up... Enjoy the comedy, and then profit?

There's this other time when I invaded a quiet Korean made game called uncharted waters online. I started trolling the newbie chat.
Pubbie: "Can someone help me with x tutorial mission?
Me: "Nobody can help you, nobody loves you. If you quit, well no one wanted the newbie anyway"
Pubbie: "My Mum Loves me!
Me: "If your Mum loved you, you would't have to seek comfort in video games, would you?"
Bunch of Random pubbies: "WTF that's the meanest thing I've heard anyone say in this game, ever!"

EDIT: well, UWO has the complexity of paradox's East India Trading Company, and plays something like it, and the community of Hello-Kitty online.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
It's a strange thing to say on page 379 of a thread dedicated to being mean to people, but that's, um. A little much.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Saying "I hate you" to random people isn't really griefing. It's just being a dick, but you happened to do it while playing a video game. Griefing normally has at least something to do with the game you're playing, you know?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Saying "I hate you" to random people isn't really griefing. It's just being a dick, but you happened to do it while playing a video game. Griefing normally has at least something to do with the game you're playing, you know?

At the very least, it has to have something specific to the opponent. For example, playing with Canadians and constantly asking about what it's like to live in a Soviet hellhole; or deliberately standing still in a team deathmatch game to piss off a try-hard on your team.

Acting like you're still in junior high is just plain bullying.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Racism! Whaddya think about that!" isn't a grief, it's just dickery.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Amyclas posted:

I play world of tanks from Singapore with a home-brewed clan that includes a bunch of Aussies and a NewZealander. We were playing on the US server until they moved our part of the world to the SEA server (based in Singapore) which we thought we'd join for better ping/latency.

Knowing Singapore's pet peeve for racial and religious tolerance, I started spamming the chats with "I hate Asians"... "That's why I play on SEA server, so I get to shoot Asian people!" and watch the comedic outrage. Sometimes I can get people so mad that the team-killing attempts start.

Sometimes I admit to the pubbies: "I am Asian! ... and I hate Asians! ...and I love this server where I get to shoot at Asians!" And get even more rage from the public. It's also hilarious when half the players on both sides threaten to kill me, but my platoon somehow manages to be the last tanks standing. Insult everybody: but bring 3 high tier heavy tanks to back yourself up... Enjoy the comedy, and then profit?

There's this other time when I invaded a quiet Korean made game called uncharted waters online. I started trolling the newbie chat.
Pubbie: "Can someone help me with x tutorial mission?
Me: "Nobody can help you, nobody loves you. If you quit, well no one wanted the newbie anyway"
Pubbie: "My Mum Loves me!
Me: "If your Mum loved you, you would't have to seek comfort in video games, would you?"
Bunch of Random pubbies: "WTF that's the meanest thing I've heard anyone say in this game, ever!"

EDIT: well, UWO has the complexity of paradox's East India Trading Company, and plays something like it, and the community of Hello-Kitty online.

How many stories have you submitted to Not Always Right?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Amyclas posted:

I play world of tanks and am uncreative.

You are the pubbie.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

McScumbag posted:

I know this is a mostly video game discussion, but does tabletop count?
If they are all as funny as that one, yes. Please share more! I loved that story.

death .cab for qt posted:

There's actually a thread in Traditional Games that's all about the best/worst games you've been in and they're pretty much all either super cool or griefing somebody.
I didn't know about this at all. Thanks for letting us know :)

McScumbag posted:

What did I do? Those spare points were spent not on mechs, but on fighter craft. They got to the battlefield, and shot out the engines on the dropship, causing it to plummet like a rock. My reply to him: "You wanted me to fight at your landing zone? That's loving retarded."
I seriously can't get enough stories of people using completely legitimate but uncommon tactics to just completely trash a bunch of snobby, pretentious morons. I will never ever get tired of hearing stories that feature someone who wants to play by their made up rules that give them the advantage being completely destroyed by really simple poo poo like this.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 19, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt expect the OP of that thread to feature a gunfight in a Games Workshop. :stare:

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Blind Sally posted:

Both those tabletop stories were brilliant, and if the mods were okay, I'd be happy to read more.
This one will be familiar to tabletop veterans, but I'll explain it for the benefit of others. It's not my story, of course.

The Background

Warhammer 40,000 is a tabletop wargame which allows for very asymmetric matchups: some of the factions focus on close combat while others use heavy firepower, a few factions can field a lot of armoured vehicles while others focus on mobility or stealth. It's possible to essentially lose a match before any dice have been rolled (e.g. when you realize that your force doesn't have enough anti-vehicle weaponry). The rules are written for fun rather than realism - for example, most of the rifles would have a real-world range of about 15 meters. If weapon ranges were realistic, then a massed-firepower army would inevitably destroy a close-combat army before the latter score a single hit with any of its awesome melee weapons. By abandoning realism, the game designers can accommodate a wide variety of themes such as Tolkien elves, S&M fetishists, Zerg-type xenomorphs, Catholic cyborgs, Mad Max scavenger gangs, and World War I conscript armies (with lasers!).

In a sometimes-succesful effort to maintain balance, the game designers attempt to anticipate and preemptively disallow cheesiness. For example, a player might attempt to "turtle" himself up, deploying his forces in a compact blob so that their overlapping fields of fire can easily cut down anything that approaches. Such a formation would be vulnerable to artillery, but many factions lack artillery. Therefore the game's victory criteria include map control - if you turtle up then your opponent will automatically score a bunch of points and you'll probably lose (in spite of your awesome K:D ratio).

Normally, a match begins with both players taking turns to set down squads of toy soldiers, each within his own narrow strip of "friendly territory" (leaving a large no-man's-land wherein most of the action will occur). At this point, players will plan out lines of fire, assault routes, etc... Some squads will be deployed to maximize their offensive potential, while others will be deployed to deter an opponent's gambit (or cockblock some stupid gimmick). There are two special rules that apply here:
  • Infiltrate: this rule is used only by special units such as Scouts. After all of the normal squads have been deployed, they get to deploy anywhere on the field. In narrative terms, they've snuck ahead of the main force (or parachuted/teleported in, or whatever). For anti-cheese reasons, they must be placed at least 30cm away from the enemy.
  • Reserves: units held in reserve are not deployed at the start of the game; they will enter the battle on a subsequent turn (long after all of the deployment, counter-deployment, and infiltration stuff has taken place). This may be for narrative reasons (e.g. late-arriving reinforcements) or for tactical reasons (e.g. wait for the opponent to commit to an all-out frontal attack, then shore up the relevant section of your defensive line). For anti-cheese reasons, reserve units must "arrive" onto the friendly edge of the battlefield and they cannot be placed within 5cm of an enemy.

The Match

Player 1 (black shirt, henceforth known as Shooter) uses a faction called the Tau (the links are just in-universe fiction; you can safely skip them and continue with the story). This faction has extremely effective anti-infantry firepower and their standard gameplan comes from Sir Arthur Wellesley: "take all of your dudes and stretch them out in a big line so they're hard to surround. Fire volleys at anything that comes into range." As is appropriate for a Napoleonic infantry line, they work best on a big open field and they're in trouble if they get flanked or cavalry-charged.

Player 2 (white shirt, henceforth Wheels) uses the White Scars faction. Their theme/backstory is "Mongol Horde - in space!" so every single unit goes to war on horseback riding a badass motorcycle. Wheels is a powergamer. His gimmick is to hold his entire army in reserve. The opponent will be forced to deploy conservatively, since Wheels' side of the field will be empty. At the beginning of his first turn, Wheels will deploy his entire force in a compact "spearhead", then advance and pierce the enemy line at its weakest point. His forces will then spread out, rolling up the flanks of any surviving squads and overrunning defensive positions from behind. His units move very quickly, so he can even peel off a few of them to capture every corner of the map.

Shooter is aware of Wheels' gimmick.

The Grief

Shooter's army list includes a large contingent of scouts. These units are skirmishers rather than line infantry; they don't belong in today's match. Skirmishers can harass an infantry advance (see also: Napoleonic Wars) but cavalry motorcycles will simply overrun them. Including scouts in your army is thematically correct, but a tournament player ought to omit them in this battle for mix/max reasons. As a powergamer, Wheels recognizes that Shooter has made a suboptimal choice and celebrates inwardly - he's one step closer to victory.

During the normal deployment/setup phase, Shooter places his commander on the field. Remember that the two players are supposed to take turns - deploying and counter-deploying until everything is on the field. However, Wheels announces that he's deploying nothing - he'll hold his entire force in reserve (as he planned all along). At this point, according to the powergaming script, Shooter is supposed to deploy a typical shoulder-to-shoulder infantry line, with a few scout teams in no-man's-land to slow down the enemy. Since this is a "gently caress-you" grief, Shooter decides to skip everything except the scouts.

Shooter infiltrates his scouts into a single thin skirmish line covering Wheels' entire edge of the table. Anti-cheese rules prevent him putting a scout within 30 cm of an opposing unit, but there are no opposing units anywhere on the field and so the rule is moot. Tactically, these scouts are hosed - they have no cover, no support, and they're on open ground. As soon as the opposing cavalry takes the field, these guys will die. The deployment phase ends.

It's now Wheels' turn. Shooter informs him that the game is over. Wheels can't actually deploy any of his motorcycles - anti-cheese rules prevent him from placing a reserve unit within 5cm of an enemy model. There isn't a single 5cm gap anywhere on Wheels' edge of the field. Wheels' entire force is doomed to sit uselessly "in reserve" until the game ends, at which point he'll lose automatically because Shooter controls the entire map.

And now you know why Shooter is smiling while Wheels is poring over a rulebook.

The money shot (shit_eating_grin.jpg)

The aftermath

The tournament officials declared that Shooter's interpretation of the rules was technically correct and granted him the victory. They also announced that anyone attempting to reuse his trick would be disqualified. The ruling is understandable - players must pay money in order to participate in these tournaments, and nobody wants to be told "whoops, you just lost by default due to an obscure rule - now pack up your toy soldiers and go home."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

That's glorious, an excellent example of using a power-gamer's cheese against them. Was it at least a double-elimination tournament?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah technical victory. The sweetest victory. :haw:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GulMadred posted:

The aftermath

The tournament officials declared that Shooter's interpretation of the rules was technically correct and granted him the victory. They also announced that anyone attempting to reuse his trick would be disqualified. The ruling is understandable - players must pay money in order to participate in these tournaments, and nobody wants to be told "whoops, you just lost by default due to an obscure rule - now pack up your toy soldiers and go home."

I'm not quite sure why they would disqualify anyone attempting to reuse the trick - it seems like the most obvious thing to do when your opponent doesn't show up to the battle entirely. It's the easiest thing to counter, because all you have to do is actually put some units on the table. Seriously, it's one of those things that any powergamer should be caught by once when they try to pull bullshit like that, and then realize that, hey, if my opponent has infiltrators, I should probably put stuff on the game board.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's two rules interacting in an unexpected way. It happens all the time and can be both good and bad. The questions to be asked in this case should be: Does it enrich the game? Does it lead to absurd results? And all in all it's allowing to keep your whole army in reserve which created this absurd situation. So the rule to be changed should be the one about reinforcements. Maybe only a maximum of 50% of your points can be put in reserve or something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
If I remember right sixth edition doesn't let you put literally everything in reserve any more.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dirk the Average posted:

Seriously, it's one of those things that any powergamer should be caught by once when they try to pull bullshit like that, and then realize that, hey, if my opponent has infiltrators, I should probably put stuff on the game board.

Granted, it looks like Wheels is rather young, AKA the age of "I just found the PERFECT TACTIC, why should I ever need to vary my gameplay when I can always win with this trick?"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One weird trick Games Workshop don't want you to know!

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, it looks like Wheels is rather young, AKA the age of "I just found the PERFECT TACTIC, why should I ever need to vary my gameplay when I can always win with this trick?"

Then he grew up a little that day, which isn't a bad thing. These tabletop stories are hilarious!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

concise posted:

Then he grew up a little that day, which isn't a bad thing. These tabletop stories are hilarious!

I agree on both counts - if it forces him to realize that only ever using one trick for any length of time is bound to eventually backfire with some things in life, all the better he learns it sooner. So, hilarious AND beneficial! :eng101:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
For those of you joining the tg story thread: it's a mix of good and bad stories, and some of the good stories are amazing.

Check out DivineCoffeeBinge's long running Star Wars campain.

Or basically anything Squidster's group does.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Slappy Moose posted:

I seriously can't get enough stories of people using completely legitimate but uncommon tactics to just completely trash a bunch of snobby, pretentious morons. I will never ever get tired of hearing stories that feature someone who wants to play by their made up rules that give them the advantage being completely destroyed by really simple poo poo like this.

Agreed :allears:

Is the tabletop stuff in Grognards.txt or are the tabletop ones in a different thread? I have a hard time getting into D&D roleplaying gone wrong stories, but poo poo like dropping 8 cheap mechs with random pilots 1-8 on an expensive ubermech or whatever is hilarious. I'm imagining a game where there are sight calculations or something and realized I have no idea how stuff like battletech works mechanically. Would some kind person point me to an easy to understand explanation of how things generally work so I get what's being exploited, possibly?

Oh and before I forget, this isn't anything to do with griefing but if you can laugh at D&D you should check this out http://onthecampaigntrail.org/

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 19, 2013

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Error 404 posted:

Check out DivineCoffeeBinge's long running Star Wars campain.

Got a link handy? I didn't even know there are Star Wars tabletop games. :allears:

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

D34THROW posted:

Got a link handy? I didn't even know there are Star Wars tabletop games. :allears:

A convenient link

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I first glanced at that post and said :smug: pff, a WH40K "grief"? laaaaaaame!

I stand humbled and corrected... that was beautiful :allears:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

That DayZ psychopath was absolutely hilarious. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face. The dude has the best voice.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

GulMadred posted:

"whoops, you just lost by default due to an obscure rule - now pack up your toy soldiers and go home."

This was incredible, thank you. :allears:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
That picture is just so perfect. The motorcycles sitting helplessly in their storage tray really helps complete the composition.

Son, you just got outgimmicked.

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva
Ah Warhammer 40K. How I love thee. People get so mad at that game. I have a Warhammer 40K story as well. Not nearly as hilarious, but pretty good I hope.

The Setup:
In Warhammer 40K, one of the most powerful tournament lists is Drop Pod Space Wolves. The reason its so powerful is they can put Terminators in their Pods. This means everyone, including their leaders, can ride in on a pod safely, that deploys them just about anywhere on the map. It even comes with its own bolter, to plink at infantry with. But what makes it really dangerous is that Space Wolves can take not only inordinate amounts of these pods of their troops (Read: Just about everything can ride in one) but that a lot of their marines get special weapons that normal marines cant. So they tend to load them up on anti-armor, anti-tank weapons like meltaguns. A melta is a close range gun, that at half range roles two dice instead of one to penetrate armor. Its also pretty good at killing other Marines, because it carves through that thick power armor just as easily. The pod simply gets the troops to being so close.

Normally 'deep striking' in Warhammer 40K has a risk. You pick a spot, roll 2d6 and a dice with two 'On Target' markers and 4 arrows on it. It lands on an arrow? You move 2d6 inches in the direction it points then deploy the squad. It lands on on target? Deploy the squad at that spot, in a circular fashion. If your scatter causes ANY troops of the squad to be in terrain or within 1 inch of any enemy unit, the whole squad suffers a mishap. The best scenario is your opponent deploys them somewhere else, like on the other side of the map. Or maybe they just get put back in reserve, waiting to try to pop out again. Worst case, they all die and are eaten by the warp. Drop Pods say 'gently caress you' to this, as they just continue to veer away from the dangerous terrain/enemy troops, until they can land safely, but as close to that dangerous terrain as possible.

Playing in a small local tournament, I was facing mostly various drop pod armies. One of the armies I play, and have for years, is Grey Knights. Seeing mostly Drop Pod armies, I took a Grand Master, which lets me designate a few squads to have special rules, some normal grey knights in transports to speed around holding objectives...and the worst thing ever. Interceptor Squads.

Interceptors are just like their on-foot brethren. But for a lot more points, they move 12 inches a turn instead of 6. They also get to, before the game starts, teleport ahead a few feet (almost a third of the board length) and then sit there.

The Grief:
So tourny starts. Play a few games against normal opponents, my army is doing ok. Mostly winning because of getting in close combat quickly, but its usually close because of the unoptimized build. Then I come against my first drop pod army. These armies tend to let the enemy go first, so that on turn 1 the enemy has nothing to shoot, but they on their turn 1 shoot. First thing I do? Scatter all my units out. Grand Master gives a few teleport squads the ability to scout, letting them set up before game starts, others use their abilities to scatter all over the field. Everything is carefully measured to make it so that my guys are as far from each other as possible, while staying in coherence. Then I trigger the Grey Knights' ability.

They have a power called Warp Quake. Land within 12 inches of a squad, and you suffer deep strike mishap. I had 6 squads of 10 man marines, and 3 10 man teleport squads, scattered all over. Each one now generating a bubble roughly 16 inches in radius. Almost three foot wide circles of 'No Drop Pods Allowed". And I had 9 of these scattered all over. When you take into account its a 6ft by 4 ft table, and terrain that the pod refuses to land in, quickly all table space was eaten up. Even worse is when he called over a judge, who looked at the rules for a bit, and decided one of two things would happen. Either

A: He can continue scattering and surfing over squads and dangerous zones, but eventually he is going to just surf his pod over my guys right off the drat board
B: He can land, at which point Deep Strike Mishap triggers. The results being either put back into reserve, placed wherever I want them (And I would just place them back into the dangerous zone, making them mishap again), or destroyed.

He went with option B, I just had my troops stand in their funny conga lines and circles, until all the drop pods were killed. In the tournament finals, my opponent, a drop pod army, conceded on turn 0 when I got the roll to go first anyways.

There was a lot of swearing and accusations of using dirty tactics. I just would reply that "We had a scheduled time to battle. It's not my fault that your soldiers decided to show up late". :downs:

Edit: Just so you know, I had heard the story of Mr. poo poo Eating Grin up there before. His tactic is semi-(in)famous in the tourny world of WH40K. I just did it using stupid Grey Knight tricks to deny an opponent from dropping on top of the board, rather than from the edges.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

McScumbag posted:

I guess I have no Space Honor :v:
If you get to do this to another neckbeard, make sure that at the end you SQUWAK! If he's also a Mechwarrior Online player, you'll make him blow out a vein.

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva
I've played some MWO. Im guessing that SQUWAK! is a Word of Lowtax thing? I think I only ever ran into those guys like once. And it was a pretty fun match, except for the fact where I was on the pubbie team.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

McScumbag posted:

These armies tend to let the enemy go first, so that on turn 1 the enemy has nothing to shoot, but they on their turn 1 shoot.

There was a lot of swearing and accusations of using dirty tactics. I just would reply that "We had a scheduled time to battle. It's not my fault that your soldiers decided to show up late". :downs:

I'll never understand this line of thinking (the swearing and accusation of dirty tactics). I mean, I'd have sympathy for the drop pod players if they were just messing around with something and thought that it would be cool to drop pod everything in because it's a great mental image, but I have zero sympathy for someone who games their list as hard as possible and then whines when their opponent exploits the weakness of that list. If you cede the entire battlefield to your enemy turn one, you shouldn't be too surprised when some enemies are equipped to exploit that fact as hard as possible.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

McScumbag posted:

I've played some MWO. Im guessing that SQUWAK! is a Word of Lowtax thing? I think I only ever ran into those guys like once. And it was a pretty fun match, except for the fact where I was on the pubbie team.

In the Battletech cartoon or some of the books, there are some bird-people, who are largely ignored by people obsessed with "canon" and the "timeline" of the books. Word of Lowtax players like to annoy these :spergin: by constantly reminding them that their serious robot game for serious people has had a bunch of bird-dudes in it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

viewtyjoe posted:

In the Battletech cartoon or some of the books, there are some bird-people, who are largely ignored by people obsessed with "canon" and the "timeline" of the books. Word of Lowtax players like to annoy these :spergin: by constantly reminding them that their serious robot game for serious people has had a bunch of bird-dudes in it.

It's also just a convenient shorthand for identifying other goons. If you squawk and someone squawks back, you can be certain that you've found a goon.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007
Is this your homework Larry?

Coolguye posted:

It's also just a convenient shorthand for identifying other goons. If you squawk and someone squawks back, you can be certain that you've found a goon.

To be fair, Unless we can recognize them or they've been on or are on the jabber/mumble we usually assume any solo squawkers are pubbie scum.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

McScumbag posted:

Technically, at this point just playing MWO is a grief on yourself.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

viewtyjoe posted:

This is more or less it. Part of the Battletech universe is that there are no aliens - nothing more intelligent than a smart dog at best. Except one book - one very bad book that decided to have a group of no-name characters accidentally make a bad space-jump and end up in parts unknown where they meet bird-aliens. It's the only place in thirty-odd years of canon that intelligent aliens show up in. And it drives grognards insane. So of course goons have to remind them of it as frequently and annoyingly as possible, which results in either 'We showed them :smug:' goons or wildly ranting neckbeards.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007
Is this your homework Larry?

Tempest_56 posted:

This is more or less it. Part of the Battletech universe is that there are no aliens - nothing more intelligent than a smart dog at best. Except one book - one very bad book that decided to have a group of no-name characters accidentally make a bad space-jump and end up in parts unknown where they meet bird-aliens. It's the only place in thirty-odd years of canon that intelligent aliens show up in. And it drives grognards insane. So of course goons have to remind them of it as frequently and annoyingly as possible, which results in either 'We showed them :smug:' goons or wildly ranting neckbeards.

They really just need to accept their noble Tetatae overlords. It would advance man to bird-man relations significantly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
My personal favorite tabletop grief was the time Doug Lenat won Trillion Credit Squadron two years in a row, in 1981 and 1982.

The Setup:

Trillion Credit Squadron was a space-battles wargame scenario based on the rules and setting of the late-70s-early-80s Traveller space opera RPG. Traveller always had a significant chunk of the player base for whom the best part of the game was using the fiddly (at times to the point of insanity) vehicle construction rules to create the best spaceships ever. Trillion Credit Squadron was an exercise in building huge fleets this way, limited by the rules and a finite (though extremely large) amount of money. These fleets would then be pitted against each other in battle in tournaments over the course of a weekend, usually at conventions.

The traditional TCS fleet is carefully designed down to the last rivet, with big battleships, missile boats, carriers, support ships, etc all performing their roles in a carefully orchestrated battle strategy. Results are scored on a number of factors, but mostly it boils down to damage done to the other guy's ships.

The Griefer:

Doug Lenat wasn't really a wargamer, but a computer scientist at Stanford in the heady days of early AI research. He was developing a program he called Eurisko, designed to take a set of rules and simulate large numbers of variations, picking the most successful strategies and refining them until the optimum strategy is determined. You can see where this is going.

The Grief:

Lenat fed the TCS design and combat rules into Eurisko and let it run. Eurisko determined that the optimum fleet design was small, cheap, heavily armed but immobile gun platforms deployed in huge numbers (remember, a trillion credits is a lot of money) across the battlespace. It performed admirably: no one could get near the "ships" without being blasted by overlapping fields of fire, and even if they did land a shot and blow the glass cannon to hell and back, there were hundreds more of the drat things still out there. Lenat's Eurisko fleet won battle after battle, and took first place at the tournament.

Naturally this wasn't in keeping with the gearhead spirit of the tournament, and the organizers looked at the rules (which, to be fair, they did every year with the intention of making the game more fun) and added a new calculation: Fleets would be penalized for low average agility, meaning that the gun-platform strategy wouldn't win the tournament again, seeing as the mobility of its units was zero.

Lenat reran the Eurisko simulation with the new rules, and entered again the next year. This time, the optimum strategy was altered a bit: a vast fleet of small, cheap, moderately fast and still heavily armed craft built along similar ideas as a WWII PT-boat. Eurisko also determined that "average agility" must be kept high, and so if an enemy managed to damage a unit, reducing its maneuvering capacity, the surrounding friendlies would vaporize it - destroyed units not penalizing the fleet as much as slow ones.

This time not only would the proto-Goonswarm overwhelm you with numbers. It could chase you down to do it.

Lenat's Eurisko fleet again won the tournament, to the dismay of many. At this point the organizers, who happened to include one of the Traveller game's prominent designers, took Lenat aside and said "Okay man, you've proved your point and stress-tested your program. How about next year you just not enter and let us have our fun?" Lenat agreed, and went on to catch the interest of DARPA, leaving only the legend behind in the tabletop wargaming world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

GulMadred posted:

This one will be familiar to tabletop veterans, but I'll explain it for the benefit of others. It's not my story, of course.

This story is amazing, and apparently this guy agrees, since he reposted it to Reddit where it's been the top post on r/gaming for most of the day: the post. He switched the numbers you assigned to the players and rehosted the images though, in what I can only assume is the dumbest attempt ever to cover his tracks, or something.

• Locked thread