Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

gucci void main posted:

how's lovely rear end bushwick or whatever the gently caress you're living in going

good. i've been doing freelance work which has been fun, get to set my own hours (within reason) so i can roll out of bed, work on some unrelated open source stuff, then code on my work into the night. i'm giving my first real tech talk next month, which is exciting

also lots of good delivery around here. i think im going to get mad fat on chicken tikka masala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

libcxx
Mar 15, 2013
thread_local post<shit> shit_post("lol if u");
anal volcano rules and sulk drools qtiyd

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

libcxx posted:

anal volcano rules and sulk drools qtiyd

can someone update me on the state of sulk, tia

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

whoaaaaa they use the name of the operator as the name of the token. that's so crazy. next thing you know they'll be calling plus signs T_PLUS or something

goddamnit all the tokens except this one were named in english, and of course this particular token was teh subject of MANY parse errors

also "BTW, there is a spelling mistake in the parse error, it should be T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDATAYIM (in hebrew, the 'double' form is just the original noun + the 'ayim' suffix and 'nekuda' is the single form ['nekudot' is the plural form])."

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

can someone update me on the state of sulk, tia

sulk got fired for yosposting instead of working and moved in with his gf's parents. now he has a new job but won't tell anyone what it is

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
really? fired for yosposting?

goddamn sulk is the true hero of this board and I didn't know. from now on I'll be sure to appreciate your posts knowing the risks you take to bring them.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

sulk got fired for yosposting instead of working and moved in with his gf's parents. now he has a new job but won't tell anyone what it is

it is literally the same job as the last job except i dont work with assholes and am ten minutes from home

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sulk totally has a job which is why he never posts about work just hockey

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

sulk totally has a job which is why he never posts about work just hockey

just post all day every day

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

when did this happen last i heard he was complaining about 80k in nyc

also posting a lot in the getajob thread for some reason

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

when did this happen last i heard he was complaining about 80k in nyc

also posting a lot in the getajob thread for some reason

i thought they told him everybody else in the company was moving to 'brazil'

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the movie, not the country

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

don't forget that he was Too Good To Live In NYC and literally tried to commute from Philly to Manhattan every day lol

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

gucci void main posted:

i was hired without being informed by the owners of the company that they were moving to south america to open a new office there. my impression was that after they left they were going to make me physically work onsite at bloomberg or some other nyc company, although it was not a stipulation of my contract that i could be sent off somewhere. once they moved, it would have been a two person office at most.

that good enough for you?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 20, 2013

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

fwiw at least one of them lived down there for some period of time, so they were acting like they were doing some social justice bullshit by "spreading the world of development", but because supposedly one of their competitors were trying to hire people down there too, they were basically just being cheap and could hire devs for like $800 a month. while i was there they were trying to hire an administrative assistant and were considering $1200/mo too much money, and that was more than the devs were going to make.

they were legitimately pretty horrible people and i'm glad i moved on. i work with a bunch of really nice people, many of whom have families and realize that development is a way to pay the bills and you don't have to do it every second of the day.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

yeah man, i loving hate every horrible person who ever fired me for being a fuckup too. lol!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
you can't fire me, i quit!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

gucci void main posted:

fwiw at least one of them lived down there for some period of time, so they were acting like they were doing some social justice bullshit by "spreading the world of development", but because supposedly one of their competitors were trying to hire people down there too, they were basically just being cheap and could hire devs for like $800 a month.

this is how much I used to make (actually a little less). it sounds like a good deal but then again you must consider that for this cheap you'll get idiots like me.

also lol at the social justice notion, developers are white privileged fucks in here and I'm p sure this is true for everywhere else

imagine the one developer dude in Ghana and he's like Kim Dotcom: a fat white babyman

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I signed my post

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
800 dollars a month? go ahead and multiply that by 10 and maybe i'll make eye contact with you (i won't, that's still not enough money)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
good morning PL thread. PHP.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
huge merge this morning went off without a hitch. thanks git.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
love it when the network's down and I can't do any work

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

this is how much I used to make (actually a little less). it sounds like a good deal but then again you must consider that for this cheap you'll get idiots like me.

also lol at the social justice notion, developers are white privileged fucks in here and I'm p sure this is true for everywhere else

imagine the one developer dude in Ghana and he's like Kim Dotcom: a fat white babyman

yeah. when i was being interviewed they said that there were plans for an (other) office down there but they couldn't/didn't wan't to say where, and didn't specify they were leaving for an extended period of time, either. so after i started they finally told me about their plans and went on and on about how one of the big consultancy competitors (thoughtworks, specifically) were having conferences and poo poo down there as well as trying to hire overseas developers, so they were trying to "keep up".

basically in the end the goal was simply just heightening profit margins even though they're trying to act like teaching people who can barely speak a sentence of english to write code is a good idea. the project manager would interview these guys over skype, and if their internet didn't poo poo out ten times in five minutes first, they literally couldn't understand "when can you start?". that poo poo might fly if you're doing anything but consulting, because have fun trying to communicate with any of your clients directly about project requirements.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

love it when the network's down and I can't do any work

:rip:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

double riveting posted:

no, it's an informal description that leaves all the interesting (from the standpoint of a proper implementation that is not some perl regex bullshit) details un- or underspecified.

edit: i.e. where's the loving grammar

perl regex is turing complete and can be used to write a complete parser no problem

it's just that most people don't bother

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gucci void main posted:

my impression was that after they left they were going to make me physically work onsite at bloomberg or some other nyc company, although it was not a stipulation of my contract that i could be sent off somewhere.

loving lol

"stipulation of my contract"

this is new york. it's an at-will employment state. if you're not a contractor, you don't have a contract.

gucci void main posted:

how's lovely rear end bushwick or whatever the gently caress you're living in going

bushwick is literally safer than center city philly

probably has better food too

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

loving lol

"stipulation of my contract"

this is new york. it's an at-will employment state. if you're not a contractor, you don't have a contract.

yeah, not working in new york i didn't realize how garbage new york employment is and how little control you have over anything. one further reason why it's a terrible state.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bushwick is literally safer than center city philly

probably has better food too

this is objectively wrong and anyone who thinks center city is poo poo has not been to center city in a number of years

also it is one of the best food scenes in the country hth

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

gucci void main posted:

yeah, not working in new york i didn't realize how garbage new york employment is and how little control you have over anything. one further reason why it's a terrible state.

this is objectively wrong and anyone who thinks center city is poo poo has not been to center city in a number of years

also it is one of the best food scenes in the country hth

Pa is at will too, champ

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gucci void main posted:

lol.

it's not a new york thing. it's because it's white collar, professional work. you're not union. you don't work in a factory.

you can say "that's not in my job description" but that will get you fired, and rightfully so. if an employer is willing to ask you to do something humiliatingly far outside your job description, you should quit. if you're enough of an rear end in a top hat to talk about "stipulations" in your non-existent "contract" you should be fired

that's how professional jobs fuckin work.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

perl regex is turing complete
so are probably the programming options on my microwave, therefore...

quote:

and can be used to write a complete parser no problem
false implication.

quote:

because it doesn't make any sense. why doesn't it make sense? because CFGs and friends are the right tool for the job; not crowbar regexes.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

perl regex is turing complete and can be used to write a complete parser no problem

because being turing complete doesnt mean its not an horrible pile of trash

you could write a complete parser in brainfuck

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

double riveting posted:

so are probably the programming options on my microwave, therefore...

false implication.

because it doesn't make any sense. why doesn't it make sense? because CFGs and friends are the right tool for the job; not crowbar regexes.

perl regex allows you to insert arbitrary code and call functions. it can be used as a complete parser framework if you choose, where you call methods on events like saxp

but most people just wang out a "crowbar" and call it done

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

Pa is at will too, champ

all employment is technically "at-will" as long as the reason for terminating employment isn't discriminatory

i've never had a problem with jobs in PA though so whatever

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol.

it's not a new york thing. it's because it's white collar, professional work. you're not union. you don't work in a factory.

you can say "that's not in my job description" but that will get you fired, and rightfully so. if an employer is willing to ask you to do something humiliatingly far outside your job description, you should quit. if you're enough of an rear end in a top hat to talk about "stipulations" in your non-existent "contract" you should be fired

that's how professional jobs fuckin work.

sorry abt your bad country

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

perl regex allows you to insert arbitrary code and call functions.

going back to the starting point of this discussion, arbitrary code in the middle of a parser is the opposite of a good spec.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

Pa is at will too, champ

pennsylvania is an "implied contract" state

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the lack of a proper grammar for markdown caused gedcomx to go with a freaking subset of xhtml for inline text and that is straight up bullshit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gucci void main posted:

because philadelphia sucks at publishing data, the newest numbers i could find were 2009

but in 2009, all 3 police districts in center city philadelphia had higher violent crime rates than bushwick in 2001 or 2012. like three times higher. sorry about your murder/mugging problem

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 20, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

all employment is technically "at-will" as long as the reason for terminating employment isn't discriminatory

i've never had a problem with jobs in PA though so whatever

"baby-man who cannot hold down a loving ruby on rails job suddenly an expert in employment law"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pennsylvania is an "implied contract" state

Not really, we only have the quasi contract exception. Ny gets the implied in fact exception.

Both are immaterial and a massive pita to prove