Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

A lot of the time that is what living on a budget means!

According to the wise goons of BFC, one should have four to six months of living expenses saved up. People who have no savings, and who also spend every dollar they earn in the following month, are said to be "living paycheck to paycheck". For such people, most nonessential purchasing decisions revolve around when the next paycheck will come which will supply the next dose of net-positive cashflow they can tap (and spend back to net-zero immediately).

A staggeringly huge percentage of the US population live this way. Many are poor, but many middle-class and even upper-middle-class people live this way, buying new cars based on the highest monthly payment they can manage, spending every spare dollar to maintain the highest standard of living they can. They are extremely vulnerable to any serious setback, such as unemployment or a period of illness, often relying solely on credit to get them through such gaps and sometimes winding up in default or bankruptcy. I have family members who have (and continue) to be like this, against all advice.

I just worry about my fellow gamer goons who sometimes it seems are overspending on their hobbies. If your savings account has nothing but moths in it, don't be buying plastic mans, and definitely don't be pre-ordering plastic mans based on next month's paycheck coming in before the kickstarter actually takes your money.

I won't belabor this any more, though. You guys are grown-ups, and if you need more information, BFC is thataway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Leperflesh posted:

According to the wise goons of BFC, one should have four to six months of living expenses saved up. People who have no savings, and who also spend every dollar they earn in the following month, are said to be "living paycheck to paycheck". For such people, most nonessential purchasing decisions revolve around when the next paycheck will come which will supply the next dose of net-positive cashflow they can tap (and spend back to net-zero immediately).

I am pretty familiar with managing on a budget, and part of a budget (even on a paycheck to paycheck setup) is having some discretionary money you can spend on whatever. It should certainly include savings, rent, a buffer for hidden expenses, whatever, but any decent budget is going to incorporate some money for "poo poo I might want." So maybe the people who are saying "gotta wait till the next paycheck" ordered a pizza and got a PPV this weekend with their discretionary entertainment budget, and they are merely being responsible. As far as the derail goes, it is certainly not the worst one I have ever seen in this thread.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Uhh, yeah I didn't mean to imply I was going to starve this month if I backed Larceny. I already backed a project on KS this month and bought GTA5 so I'm leaving off buying more luxuries till I get paid next.

Anyway Larceny looks fun and ya'll should back it.

edit; so long as you don't have to pawn anything to afford it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

I am pretty familiar with managing on a budget, and part of a budget (even on a paycheck to paycheck setup) is having some discretionary money you can spend on whatever. It should certainly include savings, rent, a buffer for hidden expenses, whatever, but any decent budget is going to incorporate some money for "poo poo I might want." So maybe the people who are saying "gotta wait till the next paycheck" ordered a pizza and got a PPV this weekend with their discretionary entertainment budget, and they are merely being responsible. As far as the derail goes, it is certainly not the worst one I have ever seen in this thread.

Oh, absolutely, I don't disagree with any of this. I just got more of the impression of "I don't have money left in my account till next paycheck" vs. "I don't have any entertainment/fun money left in my budget till next paycheck." The former is a scary warning sign, the latter is how everyone who isn't independently wealthy should treat their money.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

If I may interrupt budget chat, we just dropped an update regarding some more stretch goals, including one at twenty grand that involves a couple of dudes named Chris Avellone and George Ziets.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Are the goons guilty of spending more than they should going to have to preface their posts with "I didn't have to pawn anything this month to kickstart ______" akin to how E/N had to compare their lives to a Darfur war orphan?

Also if the goons that are working on Banner Saga are reading these just want to say thank you for the walkthroughs and I can't wait to play your game and will definitely be KS more of them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

As a reminder to everyone, Audatia has entered its final week. It's finally gotten over the 50,000€ stretch goal, opening up the Liechtenauer expansion for the definitive German longsword experience. The crazy person who donated 25,000€ also decided on his personal deck, and it will be a German Teutonic Knight, fighting in that same style. This means that there are now four character decks as well as two expansion sets to throw money at.

As a final blow to my wallet, this game also made me enroll on the creator's longsword course.

But seriously, what kind of person donates 25,000€ to a game?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey this looks like a cool new boardgame.

quote:

To play simply learn to drop the dice off the box, and keep them on the game-board. The very first corner space states, Divide Your Game Parts. What made that work, are five No/Rest circles added to select spaces. They take away the choice, of which game-piece to move. Before I adding those circles, catch-22's would happen. A different space states, Exchange Your Bank of Feathers. It allows a player to come from behind at anytime.

The inside of the box works great as a game-bank. Each time around the board Eagle, Duck and Seagull feathers are rewarded. The goal of CENTERPIECE, becomes a RACE to purchase nine-puzzle-spaces one at a time. Have a bank of two-hundred feathers, have game-parts together. Then land on the Start Sun space, or Bidgecage space to WIN. Players keep score, with black and white pawns, under the box, at the games center. Who's best at finding the best price for a numbered puzzle-space, while staying out of the Birdcage corner space. For example to Rent A Horse, to get to the Half-Price space, or not.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It is the Time Cube of board games.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have no idea what the hell I just read. And it's not like you cherry-picked the best part, that's basically the entirety of the description. :stare:

e:

homullus posted:

It is the Time Cube of board games.
Ah, thank you, you've pinpointed it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Bad Munki posted:

I have no idea what the hell I just read. And it's not like you cherry-picked the best part, that's basically the entirety of the description. :stare:
You forgot the update.

quote:

It was taken off a Goa'uld mother ship.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

The opinion in the room here is the writing is almost like the guy's suffering from some mild aphasia. I mean, if you squint really hard it kind of makes sense and has consistent grammar.

He probably could have used a bit of an editor there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MadScientistWorking posted:

You forgot the update.
... that's the entire update. :staredog:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've changed my stance on that kickstarter. It's the kickstarter form of interpretive dance. It is art.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/gnomish-adventurers-box-set/posts/605363

quote:

And so it begins...

We've got all the gnomes! We've got the gnomes all ready to be put into their individual orders! We even have some orders ready to go!

Our plan of attack for the next week:

Package & ship custom orders outside of the completionist, 2x completionist, & concept art levels. First.
Package & ship straight completionist sets, 2x completionist set orders. Second.
Package & ship custom completionist sets, custom 2x completionist set orders, concept art level orders. Third.
Paypal orders. Fourth.
Sleep. Fifth.

Hooray, gnomes are going out!

...Oh god, gnomes are going out and I've only painted maybe 20 Bones figures so far. :gonk:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MadScientistWorking posted:

You forgot the update.
I am so drat tempted to back this.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I can't wait to look at all the gnomes, show my friends the gnomes, put the gnomes on the to-do painting shelf and get around to them in a few years.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Swagger Dagger posted:

I can't wait to look at all the gnomes, show my friends the gnomes, put the gnomes on the to-do painting shelf and get around to them in a few years.

I try to hold myself to a Kickstarter time budget - I avoid pledging to minis Kickstarters if I'm not going to immediately work on them. So far I've managed to paint all the Zombicide Season 1 (minus ~7 expansion survivors), all of the Stonehaven dwarves, and all of the Little Urban Achievers.

Bones and Deadlands: Hell on Earth arrived on top of each other. And now there's Gnomes. :suicide:

(I'll live.)

Germ
May 7, 2013

That's one hell of a... something.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Add $3 to ship outside the US.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I've mentioned this before, and it got some discussion, but Robot Turtles: the Board Game for Little Programmers has hit 400k with an original goal of 25k.

I figure that's worthy of some kind of discussion.

Primarily: What do you think can be credited for this guys success? The game idea is very solid, and bonus points for being an educational game for young kids. He does lots of updates (he just put out update #23). He didn't even do many stretch goals until the game already hit over 100k.

I did notice that he keeps increasing the "Early Turtle" early backer discount of $29. Originally it ran out at 750 (I think) and he has increased it in increments of around 1000-1500 at a time, but he still has 715 backers pledging the "normal price" of $40.

It just blows my mind that this is this guys first kickstarter which tore through his modest goal of 25k in less than a day, and he's just now adding a 500k stretch goal because it's very likely that'll happen in these final 6 days.

Just wondering what you guys think.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I've mentioned this before, and it got some discussion, but Robot Turtles: the Board Game for Little Programmers has hit 400k with an original goal of 25k.

I figure that's worthy of some kind of discussion.
Well, I think when you pitch a game as "teaching your kids to program" to a tech-savvy crowd, many of whom are in IT themselves with families, you've more or less hit the right buttons to start with.

It's also cute, which helps a lot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I backed CENTERPIECE for $1, which was really just so I could subscribe to the updates.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

It's also cute, which helps a lot.

And some of us remember working with LOGO, or even robot turtles, which lends it some nostalgia value on top of everything else.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bieeardo posted:

And some of us remember working with LOGO, or even robot turtles, which lends it some nostalgia value on top of everything else.
I took a class using logo.

In college. In the early nineties.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
In my tradition of shilling for Artipia, they have a new Kickstarter up for a game called Shadows Over the Empire. It's set in the world Archon uses, so the art is that really cool clockwork style from that game. The rules are up, but it seems like a pretty straightforward influence-control game with different factions trying to get control of a population of people.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

International cant take advantage of that first run of Turtles so we have to back at the full price. Still worth it for a great looking game for my niece and nephew this christmas

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was listening to the D6Generation, and they picked up some replica coins for their games of Spartacus which sounds like a pretty cool idea. Cost is kind of prohibitive though.

Has anyone seen this yet: Smash Monster Rampage.

Looks pretty neat, though the card components make me sad - but I think that's just me being used to so much plastic in games anymore. $35 isn't a bad buy-in for a 2-5 player base game, but I'm a little turned off by the fact that that some of the add-ins should probably be stretch goals instead (units and weapons.) $10 is a little much for a few paper tokens. Also, you don't get the stretch goal additional monsters unless you pledge at the $100 level. Well, that's not precisely true - you can get the base game and one expansion for $60, which puts a price point of $25 on an expansion which is kind of crazy.

This just got updated- the $100 level is going to get all 16 extra monsters. They figured out they can save money by making a large Kickstarter edition box for the Rampage level rather than having a separate box for each pair of monsters, and that was enough savings to make all the extra monsters they have planned. Seems like a pretty decent deal now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
One more kickstarter success! I got my miniatures from the Blackwater Gulch Gangfights kickstarter, and they actually look a lot nicer than I expected. High recommendation from me if you're looking for western stuff, I believe they have the minis up for regular sale on their webpage.

example:
I got like 25-30 of these little guys for 3-4 bucks each I think, not bad imo, also they're all unique

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 23, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Devastation of Indines backer surveys just went out. General heads up to those who want to get their fighting game simulation board games to themselves.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

gnome7 posted:

Devastation of Indines backer surveys just went out. General heads up to those who want to get their fighting game simulation board games to themselves.

I am so pumped.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

At this point I would probably pick up a Battle of Indines redux if they homogenized the art style. Or, y'know, just not have art that is as embarrassing or moreso than Sentinels of the Multiverse. I also wouldn't mind the improvements, like having the cards that list the various unique cards a player has so I don't have to ask to splay out the cards before every round.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

At this point I would probably pick up a Battle of Indines redux if they homogenized the art style. Or, y'know, just not have art that is as embarrassing or moreso than Sentinels of the Multiverse. I also wouldn't mind the improvements, like having the cards that list the various unique cards a player has so I don't have to ask to splay out the cards before every round.

Good news, an updated 2e is coming out with updated art to match the new stuff.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The General posted:

Oh! When's that?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The General posted:

Edit: Somebody will probably make card for that. You're right, it would have been cool. but so many characters.

Real Edit: Quote isnt edit. And November I believe.

TheFlyingNightBear
Sep 24, 2013
Hi there! This is Caleb McEntire, from the Beyonder team. Please excuse me while I creep up on your thread. :-)

I totally hear your comments about pricing. We had to decide a while back what kind of product we wanted to sell -- whether to simply plop our world into a basic document and get it on gaming store shelves, or to frame it with beeautiful art and design. We chose the latter. We pay our artists very well, and that is reflected in the price both of the .pdfs, with their excellent layout and art, and in the hardcover copies, where we are showcasing their pieces with high-quality printing. We know that these are high price points for the RPG community, but we believe that there is a market for beautifully crafted books like ours.

That being said, take a look at our "later earlybird" reward tier, which offers both .pdfs for $40 -- almost half of the 40 available slots in this tier are left!

Please respond with more comments or questions; I'm very happy to answer them. And hey, thanks for looking at our world! Whether or not you back our Kickstarter, it's great to see our labor of love going out into the RPG community.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
You do have some really nice art, and you've got some definite cool stuff going on. I'm going to be pretty straightforward about this, though. $40 is more than what the market as a whole is willing to pay for PDFs. I get that quality art doesn't come cheap, and you've put lots of love into it, but nearly every successful RPG Kickstarter charges around $10 to $15 for a PDF. It's not like they don't often have beautiful art too. Asking for a much higher price comes with a lot of sticker shock, and it puts it way above peoples' impulse buy range.

Also, I'm concerned about listing goblin reproduction as a dark element of the setting. I could go into the reasons later (I need to get to work soonish), but if it's what I think it is, it's a problematic part of our culture. Not the act itself, but the way it's used so freely in entertainment fiction to make someone seem super evil, when there are real life traumatized survivors of that everywhere. Like, 1 in 6 American women. It'd be good to not remind them of that trauma in an entertainment product.

demota fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 24, 2013

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

TheFlyingNightBear posted:

Hi there! This is Caleb McEntire, from the Beyonder team. Please excuse me while I creep up on your thread. :-)

I totally hear your comments about pricing. We had to decide a while back what kind of product we wanted to sell -- whether to simply plop our world into a basic document and get it on gaming store shelves, or to frame it with beeautiful art and design. We chose the latter. We pay our artists very well, and that is reflected in the price both of the .pdfs, with their excellent layout and art, and in the hardcover copies, where we are showcasing their pieces with high-quality printing. We know that these are high price points for the RPG community, but we believe that there is a market for beautifully crafted books like ours.

That being said, take a look at our "later earlybird" reward tier, which offers both .pdfs for $40 -- almost half of the 40 available slots in this tier are left!

Please respond with more comments or questions; I'm very happy to answer them. And hey, thanks for looking at our world! Whether or not you back our Kickstarter, it's great to see our labor of love going out into the RPG community.

Hi Caleb, thanks for stopping by.
Obviously Beyonder is a labor of love for you and your family and you think very highly of it, but thinking that people will want to shell out $40+ for PDFs (or $125 for physical) of a game they've never heard of from a team that's never published anything before is unrealistic.

Unlike physical books the cost of goods for PDFs is zero, it's been shown time and time again that dropping your price on digital goods increases your sales by a disproportionate amount. You're better off selling 200 PDFs at 10$ then 100 at $20 because more customers means more exposure, more fans, more word of mouth, more future sales.

I'm guessing you went into this without a lot of research. Go look at the successful RPG kickstarters and see what they're offering, there are plenty of them that have great art and design, offer PDFs for $10-15 and blow through their funding goals many times over.

If you fail to meet your funding goal, I would suggest you go back, create a less ambitious project to start with something that you can offer for a reasonable price and with a low funding goal. Build a fanbase for your world, engage those fans, make them love your game as much as you do and then when you have enough people to support it create your high end dream product.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hi, Caleb! I'd be all over this at $10 or $15... At $40, no way. I understand you're paying your artists, but that's not realistic, IMO.

Remember that what you don't get in per item revenue, you can make up for in volume, especially with a good pitch and great art. For example, I am at $0 and will remain there. I could be at $15.

Primeval Thule, I likewise passed on despite it being right up my alley. It had big name designers going for it and barely squeaked over the finish line. My wager is that I'll eventually be able to get it for a lot less than $40 in PDF. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it selling @$40 on rpgnow.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah $40 for a physical copy is getting close to realistic but not for a PDF, that's just mad.

• Locked thread