Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

rovert posted:

Listen to the first few minutes of the Oscar F4D.

Trust me and you are best going unspoiled. Poor Bryan.

Lol Jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Karmine posted:

Dave Meltzer's brief lecture about Welcome Back Kotter was a thing of beauty.

Especially as Bryan was trying to throw him a rope to save himself with but Dave insisted in using that rope to hang himself and look really really old.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That Oscar podcast was loving bizarre

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Spoil it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is this the free podcast that's up now?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Thauros posted:

Bryan's pretty drat good at covering current events and he should have most of the same connections as Dave by now.

What Dave's truly going to missed for is his incomparable knowledge and understanding of the industry's history. Doubt anyone can really replace him there.

Yeah absolutely, along with his simply astonishing collection of historical material. Just boxes and boxes and boxes of VHS tapes, possibly the biggest collection in the country outside WWE HQ.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Basically, the first thing Oscar says is that he got married on the Sunday and his wife had a brain aneurysm the next day and he's currently at the hospital. The very definition of :wtc:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Haha yeah, Oscar is like "I can give you guys 20, 25 minutes" and Bryan is just like :stare: uhhh ok!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would sure like more DKP shows with Justin

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ch3cooh posted:

Especially as Bryan was trying to throw him a rope to save himself with but Dave insisted in using that rope to hang himself and look really really old.

"Why don't you explain that reference, Dave?"

"WELL IT WAS JUST... HE DID THE WRONG REFERENCE!!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Karl Stern can be such an infuriating individual.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I can't wait for Granny to talk more about her iPhone she got. (It's not an iPhone)

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

MassRafTer posted:

Karl Stern can be such an infuriating individual.

I would like to know what made you say this provided it isn't his opinions on Sting and the Hall of Fame.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Rodney the Piper posted:

"Why don't you explain that reference, Dave?"

"WELL IT WAS JUST... HE DID THE WRONG REFERENCE!!"

"Dave I don't think anyone noticed he got it wrong"

"HOW COULD THEY NOT NOTICE? EVERYONE KNOWS THEIR WELCOME BACK KOTTER CHARACTERS!"

"Dave I don't think it was a big deal"

"BUT IT WAS THE WRONG CHARACTER"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I loved how Bryan asked him to explain it more for people unfamiliar with Welcome Back, Kotter and he basically just repeated the same thing with some extra words.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karmine posted:

I would like to know what made you say this provided it isn't his opinions on Sting and the Hall of Fame.

Just the arbitrary way he votes for certain things, and the logic he employed in deciding he wanted to vote for Big Daddy.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
The Observer Newsletter is free this week. Dunno if it's intended or not, but if you've never read the WON there's a great article leading off about TNA that's well worth reading.

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...-80th-tons-more

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

It asked me to log in, don't think it's free.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

HulkaMatt posted:

It asked me to log in, don't think it's free.

It was openly available earlier today, probably due to a simple mistake.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bryan having to explain to a caller what Sliced Bread #1 is :allears:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Is Old School Wrestling Podcast any good? I love the poo poo out of the Attitude Era podcast and something like that only with golden age WWF shows sounds right up my alley.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NienNunb posted:

Is Old School Wrestling Podcast any good? I love the poo poo out of the Attitude Era podcast and something like that only with golden age WWF shows sounds right up my alley.

They're a great laugh and the visual aspect really sets it apart.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

VERY good. I pimp them pretty hard on here, but they are genuinely fantastic. If you like the Attitude Era Podcast, they generally lifted the formula for their show from OSWReview.

Plus, yeah, having video to go with it is great too. I'd love to see AEPodcast do video too, but I know how hard Jay from OSWReview works for the video stuff.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Thanks, I'll check them out. Also have the AEPodcast guys discussed what they're gonna do once they're out of Attitude Era shows to review? I'd love for them to continue on through to the modern era, or possibly go through the WCW PPVs (although that would be too cruel of a punishment to wish upon anyone).

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
I know it was mentioned already, but the newest Austin podcast with Lawler is amazing. Go listen to it right away. All the details about Andy Kaufman, working with Jim Carrey, and the Kamala stuff. "Mr. Lawler, why do you always paint a banana on my stomach?"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Question for whoever the hell is doing the podcast: With Bryan's huge crowd popularity translating to such a low Summerslam buyrate, is there anyone WWE can put in the main event who would keep buyrates high once Cena retires?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

NienNunb posted:

Just so you don't get confused. There's two podcasts similarly named. The one you mean is OSW Review. There's already a podcast called The Old School Wrestling Podcast. I like both of them a lot. OSWReview has suffered a little because they've changed their format now and the last episode just wasn't that good (I really couldn't see the point in reviewing Ready to Rumble).

The Old School Wrestling Podcast is just two guys but they have an easy chemistry and it's a lot more laid back. They just did their 100th episode all about Montreal and it was a pretty great look at it. They go through Wrestling with Shadows, some other documentary about Bret years later, the event itself and the relevant parts in both Hart's and Michael's books (For the record Hart seems to be the more truthful, Michaels clearly never watched the film since he directly contradicts what he's seen doing on camera). It was an exhaustive episode but pretty interesting nonetheless.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rarity posted:

Question for whoever the hell is doing the podcast: With Bryan's huge crowd popularity translating to such a low Summerslam buyrate, is there anyone WWE can put in the main event who would keep buyrates high once Cena retires?

Triple H

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Frilled Lizard posted:

I know it was mentioned already, but the newest Austin podcast with Lawler is amazing. Go listen to it right away. All the details about Andy Kaufman, working with Jim Carrey, and the Kamala stuff. "Mr. Lawler, why do you always paint a banana on my stomach?"

Agreed. The story of Kamala's origins, while perhaps a tad racist, was a really interesting listen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frilled Lizard posted:

I'm trying to get caught up but feel like I should probably jump ahead to keep up to date and work my way through his backlog. His shows are great though, I'm really enjoying his interview with Showtime Eric Young for example, and that's a wrestler I've never particularly enjoyed.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That's how I feel about quite a bit of Cabana interviews also.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

sweet_jones posted:

Agreed. The story of Kamala's origins, while perhaps a tad racist, was a really interesting listen.

His impression of Jim Harris was more than 'a tad' IMO.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

mkay0 posted:

His impression of Jim Harris was more than 'a tad' IMO.

"Jerry, I wanna ask you a question. Why does you paint da big banana on ma' stomach every night?"

I don't know Jim Harris personally, but if he didn't talk like that verbatim, then yes it was a racist impersonation.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Grant DaNasty posted:

"Jerry, I wanna ask you a question. Why does you paint da big banana on ma' stomach every night?"

I don't know Jim Harris personally, but if he didn't talk like that verbatim, then yes it was a racist impersonation.

Judging by every other impression of Kamala that I've ever heard, and from hearing him talk in shoot interviews and such, he does really talk like that.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

CombineThresher posted:

Judging by every other impression of Kamala that I've ever heard, and from hearing him talk in shoot interviews and such, he does really talk like that.

Ram it up Dawn Marie's rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfYze8JTxm0

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Anbody listened to the Power Bombcast yet? It's a bunch of the Giant Bomb guys talking about wrasslin', including a Dan Ryckert from Game Informer and Jeff Gerstman, who only kinda watches wrestling.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Capsaicin posted:

Anbody listened to the Power Bombcast yet? It's a bunch of the Giant Bomb guys talking about wrasslin', including a Dan Ryckert from Game Informer and Jeff Gerstman, who only kinda watches wrestling.

The Nitro Grill conversation was a wonderful moment

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

The video game discussion is fun but it's not very entertaining to listen to people talk about a TV show they sort of follow.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The video game discussion is fun but it's not very entertaining to listen to people talk about a TV show they sort of follow.

It's usually either this or raving about NXT which I don't watch so I'm not as into the podcast as I wish I was.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DrVenkman posted:

(I really couldn't see the point in reviewing Ready to Rumble).

Because it's an american classic.

• Locked thread