Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Rap posted:

I was responding to the Matt Schaub posts, but in the case of a criminal, if he'd served fair time for his crimes I'd be OK with it. I wanted the Browns to sign Vick because he'd have been better than anybody who has taken a snap for us since he got out of jail. At some point criminals are allowed back into society.

There's a longstanding thing among a certain contingent of Texans fans that Matt Schaub is a terrible QB, which largely stemmed from pining for Vince Young and then Sage Rosenfels. They never got what they wanted so gently caress Schaub, basically. Another element I see a lot among these people is that it's as though they think a QB is either a Tom Brady-esque record setting clutch machine with a fist full of rings or he's a loving SCRUB SHITLORD UGH. WHAT DO YOU MEAN MATT SCRUB JUST FINISHED ANOTHER 4,000 YARD SEASON HE CAN'T WIN THE BIG ONE AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Edit: These are the same folks that think Trent Dilfer is right on the money when he says stuff about players "deciding" that their team needs a big play. Like Matt Schaub carefully weighs his options before a game and decides whether or not he's going to give it his all and when it's time to throw a pick in overtime.

Arschlochkind fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Young thing I get, despite being sorta irrational, because of the Texas connection and there are probably a fair amount of fans of both the Longhorns and Texans. And I suppose it's possible Vince would have been more successful playing for a fanbase that unequivocally supported him rather than what he got in Tennessee. Truth be told, I don't know how Titans fans felt about Vince, but he probably would have been a demi-god in Houston.

But Sage Rosenfels? Really? Are there people out there who demanded Jim Druckenmiller replace Jeff Garcia, as well?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 12, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

But Sage Rosenfels? Really? Are there people out there who demanded Jim Druckenmiller replace Jeff Garcia, as well?

Apparently there's a contingent of Patriots fans who have wanted Tom Brady replaced the last few years. There really isn't anything that's too dumb for someone to want.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Apparently there's a contingent of Patriots fans who have wanted Tom Brady replaced the last few years. There really isn't anything that's too dumb for someone to want.

Not recently, but after 2008, there was a not-insignificant chunk of fans that wanted to go forward with Matt Cassel.

I personally killed 24 of them in self defense.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2013/9/5/4698280/florida-vs-miami-rivalry-annual-series-projection/in/4458069

Check in to the latest edition of HFPFOFF ,In which gator fans write fanfiction to convince themselves that they are actually winning the series against Miami.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ah, I was going off of the Jets fan who somehow thought I was a Patriots fan when I mentioned I was hoping that Tom Brady had started to decline last year. Someone said that wasn't a terribly uncommon opinion on Patsfans or whatever that site is.

I mean wanting Cassel over Brady was incredibly stupid, but wanting Mallet over Brady seems even more :psypop:

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Young thing I get, despite being sorta irrational, because of the Texas connection and there are probably a fair amount of fans of both the Longhorns and Texans. And I suppose it's possible Vince would have been more successful playing for a fanbase that unequivocally supported him rather than what he got in Tennessee. Truth be told, I don't know how Titans fans felt about Vince, but he probably would have been a demi-god in Houston.

Titans fans generally loved Vince's first two or so years when he won ROY and they went to the playoffs. People forget that he played his HS ball in Houston so he was already really popular before he went to college. I think Kubiak was the one who told McNair he could salvage Carr so VY was probably not in the equation. That pick was all Bud Adams trying to give Houston the finger, and for briefly, it worked.

Edit: Rosenfels was decent when he got to start and he was a little more care free with the ball and his body which endeared him to some idiots in the media and the fan base. He turned the ball over too much though and his career ended with the famous Rosencopter.

b0ng fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 12, 2013

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Grittybeard posted:

Ah, I was going off of the Jets fan who somehow thought I was a Patriots fan

Wasn't that mcmagic? I mean that kind of explains the issue.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Haha I love that McMagic is still an obvious troll and nobody bites on it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Haha I love that McMagic is still an obvious troll and nobody bites on it.

Somebody post Ehud's comix of McMagic.

Edit: Jeez, I'll just do it myself

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 13, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Serisothikos posted:

Wasn't that mcmagic? I mean that kind of explains the issue.

Nah his name starts with a Z I think and he (at least used to) post more in baseball threads than here and he's generally a good poster and I feel bad that I can't remember his name. Either way it was a Pats fan who claimed that the idea of moving on from Brady was a thing.

e: Not Ozu before anyone suggests that, who knows if I'm even right on the Z?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 13, 2013

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Grittybeard posted:

Nah his name starts with a Z I think and he (at least used to) post more in baseball threads than here and he's generally a good poster and I feel bad that I can't remember his name. Either way it was a Pats fan who claimed that the idea of moving on from Brady was a thing.

e: Not Ozu before anyone suggests that, who knows if I'm even right on the Z?

Zamodak(sp?)?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Zakharov, who doesn't spend enough time in TFF to get Kawalimus I'm learning. I don't blame him.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

gohuskies posted:

Somebody post Ehud's comix of McMagic.

Edit: Jeez, I'll just do it myself

"meanwhile inside" lmao gently caress yes

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Not nearly enough snow in that picture ehud YOU SACK OF poo poo

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Ran an errand this afternoon and listened to Sports 610 briefly on the way home because I hate myself.

Apparently among many other things the Chargers and Titans both just up and lost those first two games, the Texans did nothing good or right, and "we can't throw the ball down the field." :suicide:

Edit: And one of the fuckers hosting the afternoon show literally told the guy that all his points were valid.

Arschlochkind fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 21, 2013

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Kalli posted:

Not recently, but after 2008, there was a not-insignificant chunk of fans that wanted to go forward with Matt Cassel.

I personally killed 24 of them in self defense.

Hey remember when, "Tom Brady is a system quarterback" was a real thing people were saying?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

A Florida Fan posted:

Trust me im not. I love them but look at the history. when ben hill griffin gave money to build the stadium he stated he never wanted a black qb. And when leak was playing they always brought in Tebow. But when Tebow got the starting job Cam Newton never played that's why he transfered. Trust me color doesn't matter to me and I agree with you but the ones who give money to Florida and Ben griffin family still do care.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Actually let me post some more awesomeness of this:

quote:

Chris's skin could go for white so Alumni was alright with that...lol They shittin bricks watching MURPHY do his thang!! Right now they got UF students trying to come up with something to get Driskel back on the field...lol

quote:

Uf never gives blacks a chance and then they leave and excel some place else. Cam Newton, Charlie strong...its crazy...

quote:

Murphy look cool.... But I started hating UF a long time ago back when Spurrier was there cuz of that

quote:

I dont see how yall can like UF if yall all for Equality

quote:

Lets just say if we was still owned Chris [Leak] would have been working in the house and Murphy would have been picking cotton

quote:

Lmao Yall had Cam and Gavin Dickey too tho they were Black.... ****** ***** if you feel UF treat black QBs wrong and Youre black but root for UF then yoy are the Fool..... IDC if FSU won 30 titles straight If I felt they were racist....I wouldnt be a fan

quote:

I feel that UF is intimated by blacks!! why hate them cause of their stupidity!!! They think white is right, but BLACK is where its at!!! FSU ol slave master Bobby loved his lil black boys!!!

quote:

Uf know what they doing they smart they put niggas out in the feild cus we can run fast and we gone jump up and get them balls

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Uh, those posts own and are not horrible

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its funny because even during the Tebow years Caste football hated Florida because they were "too black".

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Im laughing at this. I know Ben Hill Griffin's grandniece and great granddaughter. They are as racist as the regular ol Floridians are but uh the family no longer donates money to the school anymore

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Cole posted:

Actually let me post some more awesomeness of this:

Jeeeez where're these from

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

"some idiot blogger i won't give a pageview to" posted:

An open letter to 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick:

Dear Colin,

Stop acting like a jerk.

Your press conferences are an embarrassment. If you’re uncomfortable or shy, that’s one thing. That’s not how you come across. You sound dismissive, combative, and rude. There’s no excuse for rude.

I feel I can talk about this because we had a similar situation in our family a few years ago. Our soccer star turned out to be a far better player than we ever expected and we ended up driving all over the state to go to games. The downside was, when we lost, she’d sulk in the back of the car, refuse to speak to anyone, and bark at us when we had the nerve to ask if she’d like something to eat, for example.

Finally, enough was enough. We’re sorry you lost, we said, but get over yourself. It’s not about you. She did and she’s been a wonderful person every since.

She was 12 at the time.

You’re considerably older, Colin, so there should be no excuses, and here’s why:

It’s your job: The NFL is a multi-billion-dollar business. Players are required to appear in public. Those press conferences aren’t going away just because you don’t like doing them. The league and the 49ers are selling tickets, jerseys and, frankly, you. This is how your salary is paid. You will have media availability after every single game. You’ll probably have one, and likely more than one, press conference during the week. Those are facts. Deal with it.

The media is not your enemy: The vibe you give off is that these press people are a bunch of dopes who are only deserving of contempt. You don’t need to take any time to answer their questions because they are idiots. I’d just say this: most of those men and women were there before you arrived and they’ll be there after you are gone. You’ve been to one Super Bowl. I’ll bet most of them have been to several, not to mention international sporting events. They are well-educated, highly trained professionals who do this for a living. And by the way, since they’ve seen players come and go, they’re evaluating you by the way you act. The day may come when you’d like to have a little understanding. People treat other people the way they are treated. Just sayin’.

It is not that hard to say nothing: This isn’t an inquisition, just a press conference. They ask questions, but you don’t have to bare your soul. Just give a nice, pleasant, generic answer that doesn’t sound like you are offended to be asked. The Giants’ Buster Posey is a master of the craft. He answers everything, talks in full sentences, and doesn’t say anything interesting or controversial. And people love Buster. It’s not that hard.

Coach Jim Harbaugh is not a good role model for public relations: The impression we get is that he’s encouraging you, implicitly or not, to blow this stuff off and treat it like an intrusion. Honestly, he’s the last person I’d listen to about that. Particularly after the Aldon Smith debacle, where his much-vaunted values went out the window so he could play Smith in an important game and then acted as if he’d discussed the incident when he hadn’t, Harbaugh’s credibility is zero.

You are wasting your time with Twitter rebuttals: I see where you “favorited” some tweets that were negative to you. I assume you are thinking you are showing that you are battling — you against the haters. What you really did is make those trolls’ day. Those morons are all over social media and their biggest wish of their empty little lives is to get a big star to acknowledge them. You just did.

You are hurting your brand: Yeah, we all know how it is all about social media now. And sure, it is a wonderful thing to be featured in nude, beefcake shots in national magazines and on the red carpet at galas. But those things come and go with the autumn winds. The real stars, LeBron James, Peyton Manning, and even to this day — Joe Montana — learned how to handle themselves in public settings. They don’t go all sullen because someone asked for their thoughts.

They realize that they have a relatively short time to make an impression. And that the kind of impression they make is up to them.

You need to realize that too. Soon.

CWN

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 27, 2013

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What did Kaep do in a press conference

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He just... doesn't really say a lot. A bunch of really boilerplate nonanswers, which the media (probably correctly) interprets as him being hostile towards reporters.

Harbaugh's definitely rubbed off on him in that regard.

e: Unless he did something specific in this particular one that I haven't heard about, that's possible. But people have been complaining about him being evasive/noncommittal in postgame press conferences except for like, the very first game he started.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Belichick is dismissive and stuff and people think he's awesome for it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Why do I feel like this guy wouldn't care if Colin read from The Great Gatsby to answer questions, as long as the Niners were 4-0?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Cole posted:

Belichick is more deadpan and doesn't have a reputation for tantrums

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Cole posted:

What Belichick does is performance art.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Isn't Buster Posey. Has tattoos. I've seen all the press conferences and he just Harbaughs the answers.

Sports writer tears, basically.

And it's tangential but this guy thinks LeBron James knows how to carry himself??? Has he ever seen anything revolving around LeBron James?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

How does anyone care at all what a player says in a press conference.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I'm upset that you, Colin Kaepernick, failed to make my job easy by spoonfeeding me quotes. As punishment, I'll show you and the rest of the world how bad it gets without that help.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

How does anyone care at all what a player says in a press conference.

The media is pretty self entitled.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The NFL is a million dollar business and they sell lots of merchandise and the fans are important, Colin. Coming up next, an article about how NFL players who celebrate touchdowns should be banned from the game

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Kinda ironic that in the sports journalism world, where single-anonymous-source stories are the norm, they complain so much about what people say in press conferences

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

quote:

I don't think Rodney, like many others understands the difference between passer and quarterback. Or if they do, they're not talking about it, and only speaking about it from a passing perspective.

Even I'm willing to concede Peyton may be the better passer. Always has been amazing. Especially his deep balls. The man is a natural. Has been since college. Since birth. Natural talent for the position.

Tom's not. Never has been. He had to teach himself. Whether it was with Tom Martinez, even at his age now up until Mr. Martinez recent death(RIP), going back repeatedly and re-learning the basics and his mechanics. Even this season he's going to have to get used to throwing this deep balls again, which he hasn't had in years, and will have to adjust his game once again.

I think Manning could take 5 years off and never throw a football, and come back and would still throw it the same way.

Having said all that.....since when does that make you the best quarterback? Passing is obviously a big part of it, but to complete the package, you still need the clutch factor, you still need toughness, the sacrifice and most of all the leadership. The selflessness.

And I saw it yesterday in Atlanta. Playing with a young squad, Tom's in the late years of his career and it's 4th and short....he's going to go for that freaking quarterback sneak and put everything on that line, his body, his career, for that ONE freaking play in a pretty uneventful game. Just like he did against Ray Lewis in the playoffs against Baltimore at home when he got spearheaded in his spine. But at least that game had importance. He's doing it in the middle of some regular season game no one will really remember.

That's Tom. That's something I have always CLEARLY seen as a difference between Mr. Crouching Ball in the playoffs and Tom Brady. And that's why those postseason stats are what they are. Tom's willing to kill himself on every play. It's crazy, it's insane, but he does it. Even now. Even with this squad. And his guys will just bust his rear end for him and for the team the same way. When you see TB doing that how the heck is anyone else on our team not going to follow that example?

Oh and one more thing. Peyton may have switched teams and coaches, which goes to add to his personal resume and ability. People say Tom's a system quarterback with a HOF coach and that helped him...but let's be honest. Doesn't the Denver Broncos offense look EXACTLY like Peyton Manning's offense in Indy?

Peyton may have switched teams and coaches, but he's still only ever ran HIS offense. And with premier receivers. How many different freaking offenses has Tom Brady ran and WON in? How many jags? How many jags we carried as dead weight? We're back to freaking huddling again. We went full circle. Tom may have stuck with one coach, and one team, but anyone who's been paying attention to the Pats offense knows drat well, Tom Brady's played in at least 5 times more different offensive systems than Peyton Manning has throughout his career. And won!

That's why as a quarterback, not as a passer, Tom's always been a level beyond Manning. Not as a passer. As a quarterback, and all that the position demands out of a person.
The most :patssay: of forum posts.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

a bunch of posts like this posted:

Stevie Johnson is a liability to this team because of attitude/drops/is black

In case you were wondering this is a receiver who is top ten over the past three seasons in receptions and yards. On the loving Bills, with Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick slinging it (not to mention Brian Brohm that one time :stonk:).

I hate Buffalo fans

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I admire you guys for reading these long stupid posts on other forums. Like that QB vs passer one posted a couple of posts ago. I would've read up to the part about Tom Brady putting his life on the line, rolled my eyes and just moved on before the end.

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
That's Tom. :smug:

• Locked thread