Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

If your twin engine lugs at 4k rpm there's something wrong with it. Lugging means that feeling where you can hear and feel it just barely make the next revolution, on the verge of stalling.

It's not so bad at 4k where it's on the verge of stalling but it definitely loses its sewing machine smoothness. I doubt the bike would be happy at 3.5k that seems crazy. I'll go try today or tomorrow and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My V-twin is certainly happier and more fun above 4k but will drop a lot lower without conplaint. It's more of an issue that it doesn't charge the battery below about 3k, which sucks in traffic. Harleys putter around contentedly at barely over 1k. Lugging really depends on how much load you're putting on it than a fixed RPM number.

V-twins can be really misleading if you're used to inlines. It took me a little while to adjust to the oddly spaced power pulses being normal.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My I4 is smooth from 1000 rpm unless you give it full throttle or something is out of tune. When carbs are out of tune or - say - an exhaust valve has started to melt away, it's rougher down low. But it's not smooth, then rough at a particular spot, then smooth again. These specific rough spots in the rev range can be when the ignition goes from normal to advance or it can be something with the intake. The resonance of the intake path can be thrown off by leaks, missing parts etc. I know I need a snorkel on top of my air box to smooth out the low end, otherwise it jerks and pops around a specific rev band in the low range.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm not trying to replace my tail. I just need a single lamp that would be bright enough to be considered a running light at night and also light up the plate. The incandescent bulbs are still going to be there for brake lights and signals.

If you just want to light the plate then consider these bolt/LEDs + these re-usable waterproof connectors.

They worked just fine for me. The connectors mean I can quick disconnect the lights if I have to remove the plate for whatever reason. After that it was a simple matter of splicing them into the existing running lights. Have a lovely cell quality vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSnC71KOTmg

The taillight included no plate lights so those LED bolts were the answer, and they do the job very nicely.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

144p? It's like Google Video from 2005 all over again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coredump posted:

It's not so bad at 4k where it's on the verge of stalling but it definitely loses its sewing machine smoothness. I doubt the bike would be happy at 3.5k that seems crazy. I'll go try today or tomorrow and see.

It'll be fine from 2.5K no problem.

If you think that's got vibration, try riding a big thumper sometime :haw:

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I got a new battery last year and I didn't do a good job of charging it over the winter (it sat a few months before I put it on a tender). Over the summer it would gradually take more turns to get it to start if I hadn't done some reasonable distance with the bike the day before but it always started eventually. To make sure it didn't die on me in the morning before work, I almost always put the battery on a tender and everything was fine, until last night. I got home from work and forgot to take the key out of the ignition. The battery must have drained in a few hours because I went back outside later that night and didn't notice the headlight turned on. I'm trying to put the battery back on the tender but it tells me it won't charge. Is there anything I can try to fix this or is my battery dead?

I have a car battery maintainer which puts out 1.5A instead of 0.75A, if that helps.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OK I just got my Triumph back after several months of constant problems and eventually finding a new (decent) mechanic who says it's now up to scratch after my air filter was coated in oil, crank sensor was hosed etc. because my last mechanic was useless. Anyway, the point is, I need to start learning how to do basic maintenance and poo poo on my bike because I can't keep letting problems develop and then shell out $800 for them to be fixed.

Can anyone recommend a really good online beginner's guide to maintaining a bike? As in, like, The Complete Fuckwit's Guide For Riders Who Have Literally No Idea How A Combustion Engine Even Begins To Work.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Get the maintenance/repair manual for your model. There's probably a site or some guides online too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone mind taking a look at my write-up on what I think I'm supposed to do for an oil change on the last page and offer any feedback? As it turns out the filter I ordered didn't come with a new o-ring (thanks Obama) so I'm gonna have to re-use the old one, which I'm not stoked about but reading around it should be OK?

Also, thanks jerkwad shop for not shipping the air filter I ordered last week until this morning, probably won't get it in time :argh:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So my friend just got his license, and picked up a 2002 Yamaha Virago 250. So far so good, he just wants to putter around town.

He just messaged me in a panic:

quote:

I hosed it up actually, though it wasn't completely my fault.
The guy who sold it to me said it just had an oil change, so when I registered it I assumed it was fine took it for a test drive. The engine seized up on me going up the first hill, and I rode her in neutral back to my house. I opened the oil cap and there was blue smoke coming out. I went and got some 10w-40 and a new oil filter, drained what little oil there was, put the new oil and filter in according to the manual.
Now the bike starts fine, but there is a consistent pinging sound coming from what seems to be the front cylinder when idling. This becomes unbearable if it is revved. I'm pretty concerned that I have hosed the engine.

quote:

Q: What did it sound like in the guy's driveway?
A:Sounded perfect
Responding to revs really well
The next day i let it idle in my driveway, and it wasnt responding to revs as well
Then I took it up the hill, and disaster

quote:

There's oil in the airbox

I'm going to get my tools and head over. I'm thinking it's a blown head gasket on at least the front cylinder. The continued ping worries me, might be valves. It's a whodunnit! If anyone can think of things for me to test/look at, please make suggestions.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 19, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

red19fire posted:

So my friend just got his license, and picked up a 2002 Yamaha Virago 250. So far so good, he just wants to putter around town.

He just messaged me in a panic:

I'm going to get my tools and head over. I'm thinking it's a blown head gasket on at least the front cylinder. The continued ping worries me, might be valves. It's a whodunnit! If anyone can think of things for me to test/look at, please make suggestions.

It's a big end.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anyone mind taking a look at my write-up on what I think I'm supposed to do for an oil change on the last page and offer any feedback? As it turns out the filter I ordered didn't come with a new o-ring (thanks Obama) so I'm gonna have to re-use the old one, which I'm not stoked about but reading around it should be OK?

Also, thanks jerkwad shop for not shipping the air filter I ordered last week until this morning, probably won't get it in time :argh:

Oil change on a bike is pretty simple stuff: ride it for a few minutes to heat it up, let it sit till the headers cool so you don't burn yourself, open drain bolt, catch oil in a basin, unscrew filter, catch the oil it spills in a basin, put on new filter(oil the oring)put back in the drain bolt, fill with oil until in the middle of the sight glass/dip stick.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Aluminum foil is handy for keeping oil and, to some degree, your hands off the hot header pipes. Just shove a sheet in there and mold a flow path to your drain pan.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

echomadman posted:

Oil change on a bike is pretty simple stuff: ride it for a few minutes to heat it up, let it sit till the headers cool so you don't burn yourself, open drain bolt, catch oil in a basin, unscrew filter, catch the oil it spills in a basin, put on new filter(oil the oring)put back in the drain bolt, fill with oil until in the middle of the sight glass/dip stick.

...then run it for a minute again, shut it off, and double-check the oil level.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The frame is full of oil, and I'm certain it's not an oil frame. Dear lord, what happened. Luckily its more of a clank from the bottom end than a ping. Is it possible he installed the oil filter backwards?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sounds like that's going to be fun to fix! My wife's first ride sent coolant through the frame... if the vstar is the same way, that can't be good.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
My mom has had a couple Virago 250s. Nice little bikes, very light. The frame is the airbox. There shouldn't be oil in there. They can be a bit dangerous bikes for engine damage because they use plain bearings with a high pressure oil pump, but there's no oil pressure light. Stupid design. If you're low on oil you'll never know it until something seizes. So the guy doesn't know how much oil was in it? Clank at the bottom end is bad. I don't think those oil filters can go in backwards but you can lose little o-rings that go on them, that might be a problem.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Also, far as I know he shouldn't be using 10w-40 in that thing?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Pretty sure they do take 10W40. It's hard to find a Japanese bike that doesn't, in fact.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Apparently the crankcase vent goes into the frame, too, and he overfilled because he couldn't see the little fill window. But the frame was full, so I'm thinking the PO did too.

The front spark plug has oil on it, so that head is definitely toast. I think the po forgot to put new oil in, and it blew when he hit the hill. The engine idles a bit weird, so I might need to clear that up, but also could be the bad head.

I can't feel anything clanking around in the crankcase while it's running, so I'm hoping maybe its the valves being a bit loose. The sound reminds me of like a diesel engine running. Its uneven and I can't pinpoint it, might be a loose crank chain according to Google.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I dunno, there's a lot of bad news swirling around there, but oil on a plug doesn't necessarily mean anything about the head. Especially if the airbox was full of oil, could have just got sucked in and fouled things. I might start by taking the plugs out, turning the engine over with the starter a lot to clear out whatever's in the cylinders, and then do a compression test.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

red19fire posted:

Apparently the crankcase vent goes into the frame, too, and he overfilled because he couldn't see the little fill window. But the frame was full, so I'm thinking the PO did too.

If it's overfilled, it'll blow a lot of oil through the crankcase breather. It should go to your airbox, but if it's severely overfilled it'll blow enough oil through to fill lower parts of the frame. It'll probably also gently caress up your air filter so check that too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

Good place to order some of the Buell turn signals everyone uses?

I found the factory part numbers of the turn signals off advrider. Called my local Harley dealer and they said since they never carried any Buells they can't get any Buell "products". Sounds like a bullshit we don't want to deal with you answer. Can anyone confirm or deny?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coredump posted:

I found the factory part numbers of the turn signals off advrider. Called my local Harley dealer and they said since they never carried any Buells they can't get any Buell "products". Sounds like a bullshit we don't want to deal with you answer. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I believe this is actually true. Americansportbike.com probably has those turn signals.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Sir Cornelius posted:

If it's overfilled, it'll blow a lot of oil through the crankcase breather. It should go to your airbox, but if it's severely overfilled it'll blow enough oil through to fill lower parts of the frame. It'll probably also gently caress up your air filter so check that too.

Oh yeah, the whole thing is hosed, removing any bolt on the frame spills oil everywhere. The blue smoke makes me think it's a head gasket, going to do a compression test to confirm. Is there a way to tell if piston rings are fried vs. head gaskets? I've read that you can have good compression but still get blue smoke if the bottom oil scraper ring breaks. The fact that he ran the bike uphill without oil, then too much oil, does not bode well.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Mainly for the British riders - £550 for 14 hours of lessons + hire of a Yamaha XJ6N, test fees for A2 MOD1+2 (and XJ6N for the test)- that's a pretty good deal, right?

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 21, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

High Protein posted:

I believe this is actually true. Americansportbike.com probably has those turn signals.

This was on the money. Appreciate it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Don't over-tighten while installing the filter (once it takes more than "no effort" to tighten, only go another 3/4 turn), be wary of cross-threading, etc.

Very important that.

Maybe call the place you ordered the filter from and get an o-ring? Also, double check that it's not taped to the inside of the box the filter came in.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

XYLOPAGUS posted:

So I went on a long ride on the FZR on Sunday. Two things I noticed on the ride:

1. Most concerning: Clutch slipping in the powerband. Disheartening considering the PO just changed the clutch (and had the receipt to prove it).

2. Oil light coming on briefly when leaving a stoplight.

3. The bike lugs anywhere near 3,000 RPM. That's pretty annoying, especially for commuting or riding in parking garages. Note that this is also my first i4. Is there some kind of trick for riding at low speed? The PO made the bike stop and handle loving beautifully, so I'm considering taking it off of insurance and using it as a track machine. Weird thought considering I've only been to the track once.

I checked the oil today and it's low as hell. Couldn't even see it in the sight glass until the bike was perfectly vertical if not leaning slightly toward the glass. Could this be my clutch culprit (I know this is why the light comes on periodically)? The PO suggested adjusting the clutch as it grabs right at the end of the handle, so I'm going to look into that as well. I already picked up some oil and a filter on the way home from work today. I'm going to change it tomorrow with Rotella T 15W40 and a highly recommended Bosch filter. I've never had to adjust a clutch. :ohdear:

EDIT: added point 3.

I adjusted the clutch and changed my oil.

No slippage yet! Bike feels great! Clutch grabs where it should now. Loving this thing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

red19fire posted:

Oh yeah, the whole thing is hosed, removing any bolt on the frame spills oil everywhere. ... The fact that he ran the bike uphill without oil, then too much oil, does not bode well.

This is definitely a textbook example of don't trust the PO's claims regarding service. People seem to forget that your bike itself is a practical component of your safety equipment; a seized engine (or broken chain, tire failure, stuck throttle, etc etc) can easily lead to a fatal crash.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

MoraleHazard posted:

Don't over-tighten while installing the filter (once it takes more than "no effort" to tighten, only go another 3/4 turn), be wary of cross-threading, etc.

On the V-Strom (and probably SV650, same engine), the shop manual says turn the filter in until it makes contact, and then two more full turns

Every time I do it I'm like :stare:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

epalm posted:

On the V-Strom (and probably SV650, same engine), the shop manual says turn the filter in until it makes contact, and then two more full turns

Every time I do it I'm like :stare:

Yeah. I cannot get one turn on it. My manual says the same thing, but I go finger tight + 3/4 turn and have never had a problem. NO oil falls out when riding, and it's still relatively easy to get off when needed.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
So after my valve job on my BMW oilhead, the valve noises from the engine were somewhat louder than expected. This change happened rather gradually

After doing some google sleuthing I feared that maybe I didn't tighten one of the locking nuts and now there was a quarter inch gap of valve clearance. So I pulled the head, and to my relief all of the locking nuts are still there.

So the issues could be:

Clearances on the rocker arms which from what I can find isn't a big deal.

Normal noise a BMW oilhead makes.

????

I cannot think of any huge issue that would cause the bike to explode underneath me. Can anyone else?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Those 1150s have pretty clattery valve trains, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My wife put a y-pipe on hers which makes it considerably louder, and I still hear the valves over everything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slappy valves = happy valves

It's when they're quiet that you have to worry

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

Those 1150s have pretty clattery valve trains, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
You think so? All the EFI boxer valves sound whisper quiet to me. Maybe I'm used to the airheads that literally sound like typewriters.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
My Triumph Street Triple steering is "weird"

Never been down except for a parking lot drop but that was a while ago. Maybe the drop could have caused damage that took a while to show itself?

I have noticed that the front end is loose at low speeds and the bike will follow tar snakes and such on freeways. I have decided it is not just me and I need to have it looked at. I have no tools or bike work experience.

Tire pressure is OK.

Any ideas? I will be taking it into the shop later this week. =/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Stugazi posted:

My Triumph Street Triple steering is "weird"

Never been down except for a parking lot drop but that was a while ago. Maybe the drop could have caused damage that took a while to show itself?

I have noticed that the front end is loose at low speeds and the bike will follow tar snakes and such on freeways. I have decided it is not just me and I need to have it looked at. I have no tools or bike work experience.

Tire pressure is OK.

Any ideas? I will be taking it into the shop later this week. =/

Are the tyres squared off? Might be that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are you SURE pressure is okay? Like, what is the pressure exactly?