Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I have never played a Gothic or Witcher title, actually. Are they similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Gothic is similar Witcher isn't. Both of those franchises have that delicious Eastern European flavor where there are bugs that make no sense, incomprehensible design decisions, and dialog and attitudes that seem like they didn't translate the whole script.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

Gothic is similar Witcher isn't. Both of those franchises have that delicious Eastern European flavor where there are bugs that make no sense, incomprehensible design decisions, and dialog and attitudes that seem like they didn't translate the whole script.

That stuff is true, but I wouldn't say it's what defines the games.

BadAstronaut posted:

The Witcher kind of has some Gothic vibes but overall isn't that similar. The Witcher 1 and 2 are wonderful games(and almost totally different from each other gameplay-wise, I feel I should mention), though Witcher 1 comes with a few caveats - bad combat, a bad first chapter, and a tedious aspect to the second chapter that seems to cause a lot of people to quit. You should play these games.

For some reason, playing The Witcher always felt like playing Baldur's Gate to me. It's not an aspect of the gameplay, it's just a feeling. I can't really explain it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Can one skip the first and go straight to Witcher 2? Or is the first still worth playing, in and of itself?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

BadAstronaut posted:

Can one skip the first and go straight to Witcher 2? Or is the first still worth playing, in and of itself?

Feel free to skip the first witcher, its janky and slow and unless you have a tolerance for that kind of thing you will probably quit before you get to the real prize. Witcher 2 on the other hand is a real game and one of the best rpgs of the past decade.

You can import a save from the first game, but it only affects a few conversations here and there. You can find finished save games for all the different possibilities at the witcher nexus if you still want to have those convos without playing (or really understanding) the first game i guess.

Dec 26, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

I like the non-combat aspects of the first a lot, but if you skip it and go straight to the second you won't miss that much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Witcher 1 is ridiculously slow and unengaging. If you care at all about having interesting gameplay to connect all the quests and dialogue bits together, you probably won't enjoy it. Witcher 2 is still slow and full of backtracking, but at least the gameplay is actually fun. The plot also has pretty much no connection to the first game, so you're really missing nothing by skipping it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Witcher 1 is ridiculously slow and unengaging. If you care at all about having interesting gameplay to connect all the quests and dialogue bits together, you probably won't enjoy it. Witcher 2 is still slow and full of backtracking, but at least the gameplay is actually fun. The plot also has pretty much no connection to the first game, so you're really missing nothing by skipping it.

Eh, I dunno--I liked the gameplay in Witcher 1 enough to play through it multiple times. It is a little weird though in that it does its best to convince you that it's an action RPG with at least partially twitch-based combat when it's really not, at all. (Witcher 2 on the other hand most certainly is) I actually thought the combat was varied and interesting, though not particularly balanced. I missed the different sword styles in the Witcher 2.

The backtracking is really bad though in Witcher 1, there's no doubt about it. Especially in Act 3--the rich person district is the most boring area of the game IMO. (I know everyone talks about the swamp as the area they hate the most but I actually liked it a lot once I realized I could just run past enemies)

Honestly I think they're both good games that are worth playing, they're just very different. It's almost like comparing apples and oranges.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Eh, I dunno--I liked the gameplay in Witcher 1 enough to play through it multiple times. It is a little weird though in that it does its best to convince you that it's an action RPG with at least partially twitch-based combat when it's really not, at all.
Witcher 1 biggest problem is that it is based on the Aurora/Electron engine, which is the engine that was originally made for Neverwinter Nights 1 and then updated for NWN 2. It's not at all meant for the kind of gameplay that Witcher 1 tried to have, and it really shows.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

And Nehrim is stable, solid, worth playing etc etc? I don't need to play Oblivion itself for any particular reason.

Yeah I forgot to mention Nehrim. You could just play that. Its a fantastic total conversion, and as said already, its very easy to setup.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
School's caused my sleep patterns to gently caress up terribly and I tend to spend a bunch of time awake when most of my friends are asleep so I've been looking for some games to waste some of my spare time on. Doesn't need to be RPG specific I guess, but mostly looking for games with as good of writing quality as possible by video game standards. Since I moved for school and didn't take a bunch of stuff with me, I'm limited to what I can run on a laptop that's barely good enough to handle Team Fortress 2, a DSLite, a PSP that might not work, and a couple older consoles I picked up cheap (SNES, PS1).

No real preferences on genre/setting type. I've played through pretty much every pre-PS3 Final Fantasy game, Chrono Trigger, Planescape:Torment, Wild Arms 1/2, and Fallout 1/2.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Zerilan posted:

No real preferences on genre/setting type. I've played through pretty much every pre-PS3 Final Fantasy game, Chrono Trigger, Planescape:Torment, Wild Arms 1/2, and Fallout 1/2.

Baldur's Gate & Icewind Dale series'?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm unbelievably pissed, just found out the sequel to Skyrim is an MMO.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's not the sequel to Skyrim and it's made by a separate team so it's not getting in the way of the next TES game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah Zenimax formed a whole different studio for it. I'm sure they have to confer with lead creative guys at Bethesda Softworks to make sure all of the stuff is right for Elder Scrolls but from what I understand it's headed up by some Dark Age of Camelot people.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Well they waited 5 years between TES games last time so I certainly hope it isn't any longer because of their terrible MMO.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Well they waited 5 years between TES games last time so I certainly hope it isn't any longer because of their terrible MMO.

It took 5 years because they were making Fallout 3, and you're gonna be waiting a bit since I think they are working on Fallout 4.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So the latest issue of Retro Gamer magazine has a cover story on the SNES Shadowrun game, and the producers they interviewed let on to something (crossposted from the Retro Gaming Megathread)

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

According to the producers, Shadowrun on the SNES has a secret that after 20 years no one has figured out. They vaguely mentioned something about doing something near the first street lamp in the game (in the town square where you let the dog out of the cage).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Lazy Programming posted:

It took 5 years because they were making Fallout 3, and you're gonna be waiting a bit since I think they are working on Fallout 4.

I wish they would skip the foreplay and hand any work after engine development on Fallout 4 over to Obsidian and get to work on TES5.

Though I guess their second swing at making a Fallout might turn out a lot better.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Bethesda isn't really putting too many of their own resources into the MMO. That's being made by another company.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

iastudent posted:

So the latest issue of Retro Gamer magazine has a cover story on the SNES Shadowrun game, and the producers they interviewed let on to something (crossposted from the Retro Gaming Megathread)

I would love to hear what this is -- I scoured the gently caress out of that game so many times.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gaggins posted:

I would love to hear what this is -- I scoured the gently caress out of that game so many times.

There's a thread on RG's forum with people further looking into it

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=925197

A friend looked into it last night and managed to replicate the beeps talked about there, but nothing else happened.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I'm starting Valkyrie Profile (The PSX version) for the first time. just got through the prologue and got my 3rd Einherjar member (some Lord in a black suit, died in place of his servant). Is there anything not obvious I should be made aware of? Any tricks to deal with the time limit?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You should be made aware that you are almost certainly not going to get the good ending unless you consult a guide.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I'm starting Valkyrie Profile (The PSX version) for the first time. just got through the prologue and got my 3rd Einherjar member (some Lord in a black suit, died in place of his servant). Is there anything not obvious I should be made aware of? Any tricks to deal with the time limit?

I'm going to quote myself here:

ImpAtom posted:

The requirements for the A ending are as follows:
Recruit Mystina (impossible to miss, she shows up in Spiritual Concentration)
Fight Lezard (Impossible to miss, he shows up as part of a Spiritual Concentration. You can miss the event if you leave his dungeon after it shows up and do another dungeon. but that is about it.)
Meet Brahms in his castle. (Giant glowing red dungeon marker on the map. Does not show up in Spiritual Concentration but is very obvious anyway.)
Recruit Lucian (again, Spiritual Concentration)
Send Lucian to Valhalla before Chapter 7. (He's basically custom-made to be sent up in an earlier chapter.)
Get your Seal Rating below 38.

Of those, the only two you can reasonably miss are sending Lucian to Valhalla and tanking your Seal Rating. Of those two the only one that requires any forethought is the Seal Rating, and that is only because sending up an Einherjar is a +12 to your Seal because almost every other event in the game lowers your Seal Rating. The only other way to raise it is to wearing the Nibelung Ring during the between-chapter section which is a +2. If you're coming close to going over 38, just don't send anyone to Valhalla and take the Evaluation hit.

That probably looks complex written out like that but it's easy to summarize:
Do every dungeon and every character recruit you can, send Lucian to Valhalla before Chapter 7, get your Seal Rating down to below 38.

There are several side events you can see which lower your Seal Rating by a huge amount and they are the key to getting a good Evaluation AND the A ending.

They are:
Visit The Weeping Lily Meadow
Visit Gerabellum anytime between Chapter 2 and Chapter 5 (before recruiting Lucian.)

That gets you an extra -30 Seal to work with which you wouldn't have otherwise. It only works once each however.

You can view your Seal Rating in Lenneth's status screen, where every other character has a Hero Value.

If you haven't already, I recommend playing on Hard. Hard is actually easier than Normal and has more content.

It's very easy to get the A ending. The hard part is getting the A ending and getting all the rewards from Odin.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 22, 2013

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

At no point should you give Odin any artifacts. Dude doesn't deserve them. If they're useless you can just sell them back later for mad DMP.

Some weapons don't give you all three attacks. You can check which ones they don't give by pressing triangle and going to the second page of whatever pops up. If that cuts out a useful attack, change the order of attacks in...one of the menus.

In Lezard's Tower you'll find a Creation Gem. Equip it on Valkyrie and transmute Fairy Bottle|Manual of Resurrection (changes if you're on Normal or Hard) to get an Orihalcon. Transmute that to get the Creation Jewel. You can now transmute things into absolutely broken poo poo. (don't sell anything you can't buy back before you get it) Buy another Orihalcon and transmute that with the Creation Jewel to get a really good sword for Valkyrie.

The time limit is only really burdensome in the first few chapters when you're getting a ton of Einherjar. By the end of the game it's pretty slack. You get tons of party exp by going through dungeons, so feel free to toss that at any Einherjar you don't want to use and just throw them up to Odin. It's not that valuable to have a large set of characters to pick from in this game. Be sure to keep a couple extra mages around, though. They can be useful in some fights.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

In Dragon Quest V on DS, what's the point of the Whealbrook (that's it, right?) bluestone? Or other stones? I just got the letter from my dad, about 5 hours into the game, and the old lady in the inn tells me there is likely to be a bluestone in one of the rocks. This would entail returning to the cave of 1000 random encounters to find a rock for what purpose?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wish they would skip the foreplay and hand any work after engine development on Fallout 4 over to Obsidian and get to work on TES5.

Though I guess their second swing at making a Fallout might turn out a lot better.

I liked fallout 3, but there is no debate from my part about New Vegas. It is the superior game of the two.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BadAstronaut posted:

In Dragon Quest V on DS, what's the point of the Whealbrook (that's it, right?) bluestone? Or other stones? I just got the letter from my dad, about 5 hours into the game, and the old lady in the inn tells me there is likely to be a bluestone in one of the rocks. This would entail returning to the cave of 1000 random encounters to find a rock for what purpose?

It's to get a knick-knack which upgrades into another knick-knack.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Do I want said knick-knack?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Of course you do! Why do you play RPGs if you don't like getting knick-knacks, useless or otherwise?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm sorry - I don't know what I was thinking. I shall retrieve the knick knack forthwith. :blush:

Edit: Wait, is the stone of whealbrook in my inventory the same thing I'm actually looking for? Ie, it's the correct thing, just not called bluestone once you already have it...?

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 23, 2013

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm sorry - I don't know what I was thinking. I shall retrieve the knick knack forthwith. :blush:

Edit: Wait, is the stone of whealbrook in my inventory the same thing I'm actually looking for? Ie, it's the correct thing, just not called bluestone once you already have it...?

The stone of whealbrook lets the old lady notify you about the bluestone, which you can now pick up.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Seeing how some here have played Shadow Tower Abyss, has anybody here played Hungry Ghosts for PS2? It was a Japan only title and I'm wondering if it is worth picking up.

Some more information on it here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/hungryghosts/hungryghosts.htm

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 4, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Friendly Factory posted:

So here's a list of retro-style jRPG games on the PC:

Penny Arcade 3 and 4
Breath of Death VII
Cthulu Saves the World
Dragon Fantasy
Two Brothers

I'm sure there have to be others I'm missing. If there are, can someone point them out to me? I absolutely adore this era of jRPG, likely because recent history has ruined the entire sub-genre.

Barkley's Shut-Up and Jam Gaiden

Not really but sort of: Half-Minute Hero

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Friendly Factory posted:

Penny Arcade 3 and 4
Breath of Death VII
Cthulu Saves the World
Dragon Fantasy
Two Brothers

I'm sure there have to be others I'm missing. If there are, can someone point them out to me? I absolutely adore this era of jRPG, likely because recent history has ruined the entire sub-genre.

There's a straight up Breath of Fire IV PC port that's not too bad but not as retro as that stuff. Definitely Barkley, and there's actually some RPG Maker games that aren't terrible. A Blurred Line is a cool sci-fi styled one, Hero's Realm is pretty much a lost SNES games, and goon-made Last Scenario, which is Final Fantasy but less stupid with some solid gameplay.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Friendly Factory posted:

Penny Arcade 3 and 4
Breath of Death VII
Cthulu Saves the World
Dragon Fantasy
Two Brothers

You specifically need menu battlers? Because Ys I & II are on Steam and those games are old as poo poo.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If you like Suikoden and can find it, Legion Saga III is pretty alright. The other two not so much.

Completely forgot about The Way. If you like crazy bullshit and tons of characters it owns hard.
VVV

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 25, 2013