Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
That event is sorta bugged and doesn't really kill anyone, even though the event says so.
I guess it's just the media exaggerating things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Go back to Pangaea/Oceania you drat hippy LIEberal media members. :argh::clint:

REAL Ermorian's support the raising of undead armies for world domination and the ritual rape of women to create shadow vestals. :colbert:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

NinjaDebugger posted:

Yes. Compile a list of every single god chassis, their name, and their creature number, and throw them all in a doc. Doesn't even have to be particularly organized, and it will make the modding go much faster.
I'm totally doing this, it's just taking a while. So much content :arghfist:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I haven't played Dominions in a year or more but I have to admit a newish makeover might make me get back into it. Only problem I have is it seems like this feels like a huge content patch rather than the major differences they added from Dominions 2(great game if you loved thugging out commanders) to Dominions 3(which finally made non-ermor armies worth a drat.)

So if anyone remembers Dominions 2 jump to Dominions 3, does Dominion 4 feel like a similar jump or is this more of a lateral move of taking the core of Dom3 and making it much better?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why aren't there temporary gemgens for every school? It is such a good idea it doesn't make sense to me to only have a few.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Why aren't there temporary gemgens for every school? It is such a good idea it doesn't make sense to me to only have a few.

Generally dominions tries to avoid having various magic schools, etc being really the same just with different colors. So I'm sure that's intentional, but they do exist at least for fire, water, astral and earth, which is 4/7.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Several gods are gemgens, at least in AwesomeGods, too. There are ones that give Death, Nature and Air. And I think the Fountain of Blood also gives slaves in AG?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
There's a weird one where you can gemgen blood slaves. The fluff behind it is that they're just ordinary virgins, and not special pure ones so they're not good enough for rituals.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Slaan posted:

Several gods are gemgens, at least in AwesomeGods, too. There are ones that give Death, Nature and Air. And I think the Fountain of Blood also gives slaves in AG?

The great enchantress always gives pearls.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Right, and there are also fire, water and earth generators as well. I was just pointing out that the gemgens exist, just as pretenders.

amuayse posted:

There's a weird one where you can gemgen blood slaves. The fluff behind it is that they're just ordinary virgins, and not special pure ones so they're not good enough for rituals.

It makes you wonder about life in the provinces during the wars are. Sure, a couple months of guys coming along to take your virgin daughters could be considered as 'normal' raiding. But 3 straight years of it in the same place? Where the hell do they find them? There can only be so many virgins in a province, and the supply of new virgins would obviously diminish quickly as people realized who was being taken.

"Oh hey, you hit menarch? Good for you. Hey Johnny, come over here, I got a proposal for you!"

I guess you can bullshit it by saying the 'unrest deaths' are guys killed for letting their daughters have sex, thus avoiding the 'no sex, ever' laws.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So if you were playing the long game you could use a gem gen strategy by wishing for and GoRing gemgen pretender chassis.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Theoretically...If you were play a game with easy research, with 1000+ provinces, and no thrones.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Slaan posted:

Right, and there are also fire, water and earth generators as well. I was just pointing out that the gemgens exist, just as pretenders.

It makes you wonder about life in the provinces during the wars are. Sure, a couple months of guys coming along to take your virgin daughters could be considered as 'normal' raiding. But 3 straight years of it in the same place? Where the hell do they find them? There can only be so many virgins in a province, and the supply of new virgins would obviously diminish quickly as people realized who was being taken.

"Oh hey, you hit menarch? Good for you. Hey Johnny, come over here, I got a proposal for you!"

I guess you can bullshit it by saying the 'unrest deaths' are guys killed for letting their daughters have sex, thus avoiding the 'no sex, ever' laws.
Presumably some of these people worship the (very very real... you can see him walking around over there!) god their daughters are being killed in the name of. They could just give them up willingly?

Historically, a woman's place many societies ranked somewhere below cattle... your virgin daughter being sacrificed at least means you don't have to pay a loving dowry. Probably seen as a win!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

Even in CBM, IIRC. 3 in CBM, 6 in AG, I think.

Here's your list of Pretenders for AG.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

How are u posted:

I'm dicking around in single player, in year 10 of a long game. Last turn I got a worldwide event raising unrest when astrologers predicted a comet was heading for Earth. This turn there's another worldwide event saying the comet is visible in the sky, and unrest has skyrocketed all over my empire. Wonder what's going to happen next turn...

e: the comet hit a random province, not one of mine, but the description said it annihilated the whole population. This game :allears:

Aside from the bug already mentioned, for maximum accuracy the impact event should also set every province to Cold 3.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The comet has appeared in an underwater province and drowned.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Signs you may have made your new nation's sacreds a little too powerful:

(This is only the end of year 2, so that battlemage does pretty much gently caress all).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, 12 Jaguar Warriors would probably've done the same, assuming they had a bless that was befitting of their Being Jags?

(also looks like a morale type failure on Marverni's part, but then their leaders in that battle are total garbage; remember those Barbarian Chiefs have -1 inspiration, as well as an unimpressive squad cap).

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Way late on this, but thank you. I enjoyed it a lot. Please do more.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

jBrereton posted:

I dunno, 12 Jaguar Warriors would probably've done the same, assuming they had a bless that was befitting of their Being Jags?

(also looks like a morale type failure on Marverni's part, but then their leaders in that battle are total garbage; remember those Barbarian Chiefs have -1 inspiration, as well as an unimpressive squad cap).

Yeah, they're fairly similar to jags, but their second form doesn't stick around (hence they all died) and causes fear (which I'm starting to think may be a little OP).

They have a N9 bless because I haven't given the nation any good way to access F9 or W9.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Wolfsbane posted:

Yeah, they're fairly similar to jags, but their second form doesn't stick around (hence they all died) and causes fear (which I'm starting to think may be a little OP).

They have a N9 bless because I haven't given the nation any good way to access F9 or W9.

If they're recruit everywhere, cause fear is a really, really, really powerful ability. Especially on a sacred. Even if they're not recruit everywhere its still really nice.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsbane posted:

Well, they basically fought the perfect enemy, in that case. Indie crap led by independent commanders (nothing special) and Barbarian Chiefs really should get forced off by that kind of unit.

Now if the Marverni player/AI pseudo-player had thought to bring some Carnute units along, probably would've been a different story, assuming they survived the first blow.

So long as it's Fear (1) rather than (5) or whatever, should be fine-ish? Lemuria gets fear-causing Standards as freespawn, after all. Only problem is a very specific amazing synergy with Thrones that cause Blessed units to have Awe, at which point they presumably become The Best Guhyaka.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Hryme posted:

Way late on this, but thank you. I enjoyed it a lot. Please do more.

If you look at my past broadcasts, I have two other games saved there, if you're interested.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Here's your list of Pretenders for AG.

Why thank you, sir. This will make things go much more quickly, especially if it gets updated once the final game drops.

I wonder if/when the Mod Viewer will be updated. Anybody know who made that?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Interesting little tidbit - there are apparently two extra Demon Lords now. Geryon, who is N/B/D, and Ashmedai, who is F/S/B. I assume they're new at least; they have no description available and everything that mentions Demon Lords from Dom3 only mentions four of them. I haven't tried either of them in battle, so I'm not sure if they've got any nifty abilities. Ashmedai has full slots and looks a bit like a Hinnom giant, Geryon has a head and two misc slots, and looks like an old Shedu with lizard hindquarters (he's also a heretic and has bringer of misfortune).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Interesting little tidbit - there are apparently two extra Demon Lords now. Geryon, who is N/B/D, and Ashmedai, who is F/S/B. I assume they're new at least; they have no description available and everything that mentions Demon Lords from Dom3 only mentions four of them. I haven't tried either of them in battle, so I'm not sure if they've got any nifty abilities. Ashmedai has full slots and looks a bit like a Hinnom giant, Geryon has a head and two misc slots, and looks like an old Shedu with lizard hindquarters (he's also a heretic and has bringer of misfortune).

The more interesting thing is that you can add new demon lords, and new other random summons. There's a section in the mod guide showing how to make new random groups for summoning purposes. If there's still a need for Awesome Endgame, I can in fact make new uniques to slot into various categories.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can't wait to see what kind of awesome ideas people come up with for unique summons and things like that. It's going to be...awesome :haw:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

With the Cookie Clicker fad going on, I'm wondering how long it will be before someone makes a Grandmatriarch pretender chassis.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

How are u posted:

I can't wait to see what kind of awesome ideas people come up with for unique summons and things like that. It's going to be...awesome :haw:

I'm pretty sure the Mother of Monsters/Echidna/whatever she is now is going to put a random number of random crossbreeds into play at start of battle. Probably something like 1d6 good ones, 2d6 bad ones, and 3d6 completely random ones. Maybe more! 3d6 random good and 12d6 random bad crossbreeds. AHAHAHAHA.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AfroSquirrel posted:

With the Cookie Clicker fad going on, I'm wondering how long it will be before someone makes a Grandmatriarch pretender chassis.

I think you mean The Cookie Crone :colbert:

jBrereton posted:

So they're probably 50% more powerful than they should be :v:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

How are u posted:

First order of business should be immediately replacement of the sprite for the demon lord of lust because Totally-Not-A-Baal isnt gonna cut it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I know we aren't talking about Dominions 3 but I finally won my first AI game against 4 AI opponents. Played as Fomoria and made gratuitous use of Storm, Thunder Strike, Wrathful Skies, Wailing Winds, and never made it past level 6 on any school of magic because I'm stupidly bad at this game. I forged a shitload of Skull Staffs, Skull Hats, Bags of Wind, and other artifacts without actually doing anything with them because I forgot to put gems on my drat Fomorian Kings until about 85% of the way into the game.

Thank god blessed Unmarked are ridiculous. Greatest game ever made.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

NinjaDebugger posted:

Why thank you, sir. This will make things go much more quickly, especially if it gets updated once the final game drops.
Yeah, I'm expecting a couple more Pretender Gods, like the very plausible reintroduction of the Mother of Tuathas, for starters.

quote:

I wonder if/when the Mod Viewer will be updated. Anybody know who made that?
I believe it was momfreeek.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Yeah, I'm expecting a couple more Pretender Gods, like the very plausible reintroduction of the Mother of Tuathas, for starters.

I'm still amazed at how controversial she was even after I nerfed her.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Oh god, I'll have to buy this game, won't I? But there's not enough time in a day as it is...

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm still amazed at how controversial she was even after I nerfed her.
A pretty decent glamoured pseudo-SC with really exceptional freespawn and nice paths and 0 base cost is never going to be uncontroversial, no?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Summoning Uniques is still a bit bugged, and you can get copies of them. Illwinter said they'll fix that.

Ooh, Kristoffer said they might release a new version tomorrow!

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/preorder-beta-bug-thread/page/30#897316

amuayse fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 23, 2013

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Today I finally started my first Dom4 testgame, just me and two standard AIs, competing for a dozen thrones on a smallish ~70 provinces map.

Just for the hell of it I play as Lemuria. Conclusion at the end of year two: A couple provinces conquered, more ghosts then I can count and I found a combination of spirits, shades and ghost soldiers to destroy indeps even if I'm outnumbered.

Kind of neat, even if assigning all these spiritual beings I get drowned in into combat squads slowly gets tedious after a while. Also funny: I started with a death 10 imprisoned pretender with 3/3 death/cold scales. The icy wind of death personified. But since I started with my pretender imprisoned, I didn't actually have a unit to start summoning my commanders. (None of my two starting commanders could summon more than a few spirits or even fewer shades, so I had to bootstrap myself by empowering one of my commanders until he could summon more mages.)

Now I claimed my first throne and the first AI has appeared, trying to surround the ghost army holding it by conquering the adjacent provinces. Hopefully my huge wall of ghosts works as well against an actual nation as it did against independents. At least the AI has a fair chance, since I lost lots of turns on empowering my first commander, so I'm lagging behind on research quite a bit. :v:

All in all I'm impressed with the improvements, even if I started with the worst possible nation to showcase them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

Today I finally started my first Dom4 testgame, just me and two standard AIs, competing for a dozen thrones on a smallish ~70 provinces map.

Just for the hell of it I play as Lemuria. Conclusion at the end of year two: A couple provinces conquered, more ghosts then I can count and I found a combination of spirits, shades and ghost soldiers to destroy indeps even if I'm outnumbered.

Kind of neat, even if assigning all these spiritual beings I get drowned in into combat squads slowly gets tedious after a while. Also funny: I started with a death 10 imprisoned pretender with 3/3 death/cold scales. The icy wind of death personified. But since I started with my pretender imprisoned, I didn't actually have a unit to start summoning my commanders. (None of my two starting commanders could summon more than a few spirits or even fewer shades, so I had to bootstrap myself by empowering one of my commanders until he could summon more mages.)

Now I claimed my first throne and the first AI has appeared, trying to surround the ghost army holding it by conquering the adjacent provinces. Hopefully my huge wall of ghosts works as well against an actual nation as it did against independents. At least the AI has a fair chance, since I lost lots of turns on empowering my first commander, so I'm lagging behind on research quite a bit. :v:

All in all I'm impressed with the improvements, even if I started with the worst possible nation to showcase them.

The AI is utterly incapable of fighting off any of the freespawn horde nations. Playing one is still an exercise in self flagellation though as the micro only gets progressively worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The AI is utterly incapable of fighting off any of the freespawn horde nations. Playing one is still an exercise in self flagellation though as the micro only gets progressively worse.

I live to suffer, so all is well. So I guess giving the AI ten research turns on account of me being dumb as a brick won't hold them alive?

Oh well, at least it will be a relaxing test game then.

• Locked thread