Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

Just to chip in on whether 16GB is good enough...it's not. I've got a 16GB LTE iPad, and I can't do an OTA upgrade to iOS 7 because it wants 3.4GB of free space.

Funnily enough I have 2 16GB devices and I have no issues. It's a case by case basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm sorry I was making up everything I said to impress you with my standard iPad. It's draining faster and that's that.

Turn the percentage off and quit sperging out about it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Is it worth upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 7?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yes

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Ars did a review of iOS7 in the iPad 2: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/dont-let-me-down-apple-ios-7-on-the-ipad-2/

That said, they also said don't upgrade your OS on your iPhone4 and I don't think its that bad on the iPhone4 so there.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Funnily enough I have 2 16GB devices and I have no issues. It's a case by case basis.

What I'm wondering is how you have 3.4GB free in each case.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

What I'm wondering is how you have 3.4GB free in each case.

Because I don't fill my phone up so it has space to spare.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Of course, but that's a LOT of free space. I recently went on an app purge with my iPad and I still couldn't get any more than 1.9GB.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

Of course, but that's a LOT of free space. I recently went on an app purge with my iPad and I still couldn't get any more than 1.9GB.

Text (i)Messages, pictures, movies, songs. My girlfriend cleared 2GB of space by deleting her text messages yesterday.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Aatrek posted:

I'm seeing worse battery life (which is "sperging out" apparently). All of the animations were choppy at first, some smoothed out once it finished indexing or something, but many did not.

I would have just kept it on iOS6 had I known, but iOS7 isn't a deal breaker. And assuming new apps that take advantage of iOS7 don't have performance issues with iPad 2 hardware, it's probably the right decision considering Apple's ecosystem.

It's fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My biggest problem on my iPad 3 is that changing wallpapers somehow slows the entire thing to an unresponsive crawl.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

Again, I use mine differently than yours. Every time I get to about 500 pics I upload them to a computer then delete them all. I run phone clean etc and just have space. Different strokes.

Just got back from a trip so I'm going to delete those photos soon.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Endless Mike posted:

My biggest problem on my iPad 3 is that changing wallpapers somehow slows the entire thing to an unresponsive crawl.

I tried this on an iPad 2 and on an iPad 4 both with iOS 7 and didn't experience any slowdown or anything, it switched background pretty fast.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

El Hefe posted:

I tried this on an iPad 2 and on an iPad 4 both with iOS 7 and didn't experience any slowdown or anything, it switched background pretty fast.

I can confirm that changing wallpapers on the iPad 3 sucks and is slow to respond.

It's the only place I've noticed any real slowness. Weird.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Thwomp posted:

I can confirm that changing wallpapers on the iPad 3 sucks and is slow to respond.

It's the only place I've noticed any real slowness. Weird.

Same here with an iPad 3.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
It's probably something to do with the iPad 3 processor then.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Do you mean the act of changing the wallpaper is slow, and it goes back to normal after the change? Or that changing from the default makes it slow forever?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

randyest posted:

Do you mean the act of changing the wallpaper is slow, and it goes back to normal after the change? Or that changing from the default makes it slow forever?

The former. It takes like 10 seconds and you don't even know if the hardware has locked up or not. My sleep button will just stop working sometimes.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So, the big question for October. Will you be buying a Gold iPad?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I hope Apple doesn't put one out. Apparently gold is actually an easier color to produce than black, but it's stretching the boundaries of taste on the iPhone 5s, never mind something as big as an iPad. Plus Apple is having a hard enough time getting anything but "space gray" iPhones in stores...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I need a gold 128GB iPad to go with my Gold plated AK.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't care about the color but I hope they change the body to look like the 5/5S.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't care about the color but I hope they change the body to look like the 5/5S.

Personally, I like the iPad mini style body a LOT.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If the leaks are true, we kinda already know the body. It'll just be like the iPad mini (and the iPod Touch) where the edges are more cupped instead of razor-sharp (thankfully no more digging into my palm) and the bezel on the sides will be thin.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I need a gold 128GB iPad to go with my Gold plated AK.

Then you can charge it on the nightstand that is holding up this beauty:
http://www.zuomod.com/shop/artemis-table-lamp/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone else ever had a wacky idea about using electricity to simulate a finger to create a fine tip stylus but didn't have the actual know how to do it, good news! People smarter than us had the same idea and actually made stuff!

There was a Kickstarter with the concept a while ago but I didn't like the execution (worked, but looked overly fat still), but it looks like Adonit has been working on one too:

https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/stylus?sku=STYL001001

They've been working with Adobe for their stylus project as well, which has also been shown with a tiny tip, so things are looking up for once.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Does AT&T do the "deactivate your sim when you cancel" bullshit Verizon is now? I'm feeling pissed off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doesn't everyone do that? You don't own the SIM, they do.

vvv Oh! That makes sense (in that that's what he was asking, not that they do it.) vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 4, 2013

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

wdarkk posted:

Does AT&T do the "deactivate your sim when you cancel" bullshit Verizon is now? I'm feeling pissed off.

You mean killing the data plan that still has time/data left on it when you tell the iPad to cancel instead of killing the auto-renewal and allowing you to use the remaining time/data? I saw that happen on my AT&T iPad 2, figured I'd just accidentally clicked the wrong thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

fordan posted:

You mean killing the data plan that still has time/data left on it when you tell the iPad to cancel instead of killing the auto-renewal and allowing you to use the remaining time/data? I saw that happen on my AT&T iPad 2, figured I'd just accidentally clicked the wrong thing.

I mean that when I tried to activate the data plan after not being subscribed for a while, I had to have customer support reactivate my account.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You know what annoys me most about iOS7? The fact that you can't really scale your wallpapers. Such a small detail but it renders my favorite wallpapers useless as it automatically zooms way the gently caress in and won't let you scale back.

Can't use my favorite Blackhawks logo or half my vacation pictures.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Beastie posted:

You know what annoys me most about iOS7? The fact that you can't really scale your wallpapers. Such a small detail but it renders my favorite wallpapers useless as it automatically zooms way the gently caress in and won't let you scale back.

Can't use my favorite Blackhawks logo or half my vacation pictures.

Turning on Reduce Motion in your accessibility settings should stop it from zooming.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've done that and it helps a bit, still doesn't offer nearly as much leeway as iOS6

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Ever since updating to 7.0.2 my Mini is crashing a LOT.

edit: This much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czTnKvFppXQ

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 6, 2013

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Event finally confirmed for the 22nd!

http://allthingsd.com/20131008/apple-will-hold-fall-ipad-event-on-october-22/?mod=tweet

Now to sell my 4th gen!

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Was set on the Mini if it has retina but if the regular iPad is significantly lighter I will stick with it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

That says the Mini may have the A7.. I find that hard to believe and keep the existing Mini price point. Do you think they'll raise the price? I figured the Mini would get like an A6X chip or something.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echobucket posted:

That says the Mini may have the A7.. I find that hard to believe and keep the existing Mini price point. Do you think they'll raise the price? I figured the Mini would get like an A6X chip or something.

I don't think the Mini has the form factor for an X chipset, though I could be wrong. Apple may decide they need the improved GPU from the A7 to drive the Retina display, making it cheaper to produce than shoehorning an X chip in.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

echobucket posted:

If the Mini skipped a generation, Apple probably got a huge rear end discount on ordering A7's - the Ipad5, the 5S and possibly the mini (Oh and the iWatch :smug: ) would be using it. That's millions and millions of A7 chips. Wonder what's with this push for 64-bit all of a sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

The SoC probably isn't a huge cost driver (relatively), and I guess if the big and mini iPads both use it, it might benefit from the increased volume*. The big question is a retina display, but I'm hoping that'll be ok too considering others have gotten high res displays in cheaper tablets already.

*Could make the same argument for the A7, but that's already got shitloads of demand to deal with on the 5S alone at this point.