Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Cityinthesea posted:

S is the best, by far (the outer senshi are the best :colbert:). I never watched SuperS because of Chibi-usa, is it as bad as R?

SuperS has, I think, three major problems. They decided to make Chibi-usa the main focus, the new characters were god-awful, and it followed S. Categorically, I would say it's worse than R even when you count the filler half of R in the equation. The love story seemed hamhanded and forced, I really can't stress enough how much I dislike Pegasus, and can I say how much I hate Pegasus again? I didn't mind when Chibi-usa showed up in R but god drat did I hate on Pegasus.

So, yeah, worse than R. The only good thing about it is that it's sandwiched between S and Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

aers posted:

While I won't answer any of the other questions posed by your, uh, fanfiction, due to spoilers... I will answer this. Yes. They aren't from the Moon though, they're from the planet Mau.

Mau or... Mao? :china:

:v:

Back to R, I read ahead a little in the manga and the Twins haven't shown up there, are they entirely made up for the anime? Their episodes have been somewhat less than inspired so far, even if I dig the DOOM TREE.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

Mau or... Mao? :china:

:v:

Back to R, I read ahead a little in the manga and the Twins haven't shown up there, are they entirely made up for the anime? Their episodes have been somewhat less than inspired so far, even if I dig the DOOM TREE.

The first part of R, with Arabian Tuxedo Mask, is in fact filler. Made up strictly for the anime to give the manga more time to put out content.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Does anyone actually know if it'll come out this winter? I know winter's been promised to us, but I keep expecting the rug to be pulled out. :smith:

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I think I'm one of the few who say S is their least favorite season. This isn't the only place where I've heard the sentiment that S is the most loved season, but I've always thought it was a bit overrated! I'm also not a big fan of Haruka and Michiru (well, at least when it comes to their tactical plans and missions), and I know those two are really loved by the fanbase. Maybe I need to sit down and rewatch S, since it has been awhile since I've last watched it.

I also unironically enjoy R and SuperS a whole bunch, so maybe I'm just a terrible fan. :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Does anyone actually know if it'll come out this winter? I know winter's been promised to us, but I keep expecting the rug to be pulled out. :smith:

Isn't this like the third or so 'it'll be be out by (season)' or has it just been 'yea we're doing something we don't know when' until recent?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Chrysolith posted:

I think I'm one of the few who say S is their least favorite season. This isn't the only place where I've heard the sentiment that S is the most loved season, but I've always thought it was a bit overrated! I'm also not a big fan of Haruka and Michiru (well, at least when it comes to their tactical plans and missions), and I know those two are really loved by the fanbase. Maybe I need to sit down and rewatch S, since it has been awhile since I've last watched it.

I also unironically enjoy R and SuperS a whole bunch, so maybe I'm just a terrible fan. :v:

I didn't like Haruka and Michiru much either. They just seemed like posers swanning about with their superpowers and trying to impress the girls who'd actually saved the planet twice by the time they bothered showing up. And everything they did turned to fail. But on the other hand S had an awesome set of villains, and was the most tightly paced season with very little filler, so it's still my favourite.

But I can dig Super-S as well, even if it's a step back from S in a lot of ways it's by far the silliest season, and if you watch it looking for wacky comedy instead of for drama or action I think it works. Also I think every episode in Super-S had at least one 'Usagi is fat' joke, which while at times funny did make me feel bad for the poor girl.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm still wary about this actually coming out this year. If I had to wager I'd say that this may get pushed back to Spring or even Fall quarter of next year. All their merchandise out so far have been for the original anime and I'm sure that it'll start to cause confusion having both new and old lines running merch at the same time. I'd like for it to come out this year but I'm still worried that it'll end up being terrible and rushed.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Shyrka posted:

I didn't like Haruka and Michiru much either. They just seemed like posers swanning about with their superpowers and trying to impress the girls who'd actually saved the planet twice by the time they bothered showing up. And everything they did turned to fail. But on the other hand S had an awesome set of villains, and was the most tightly paced season with very little filler, so it's still my favourite.

You've pretty much put my feelings into words here. Between that, and the fact they seemed so against working together as a team, and just wanted to do things their way, turned me off to them. They didn't want Usagi and the others to get involved with the talismans or with Hotaru, they didn't want Usagi to have any contact with the Starlights (okay, the others were hesitant about the Starlights too, I admit), and then that false betrayal during the battle against Galaxia. For me, I guess their major flaw is that the two don't really listen to anyone but themselves, until the very last minute.

I liked them more in the manga, they seemed more human. I loved the scenes where the two of them and Setsuna were raising Hotaru.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Isn't this like the third or so 'it'll be be out by (season)' or has it just been 'yea we're doing something we don't know when' until recent?

It was originally announced for Summer at the first announcement, then announced for Winter a few months ago.

Two days ago at the musical they reiterated the Winter date.

quote:

I liked them more in the manga, they seemed more human.

Pretty much this. I like manga Haruka/Michiru/Setsuna better, which is odd since the anime usually does more for characterization. S is still my favorite season though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

It's Toei so expect the worst.

Between dbz, precure and one piece they could act retarded about all of thier projects and get away with it with money to spare.

I mean how long has Funi threatened to a) get the rights to and dub Sailor Moon and b) fund the Buu arc for DBZ Kai?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
The problem with Haruka and Michiru is that the anime staff didn't have any idea where their self-imposed standoffishness was coming from so they came off as just plain arrogant jerks from the start with little to no subtext implying anything else. And then by the time their backstories and character development was fair game for episode material, the cast was so bloated that none of the old crowd but Usagi was getting much in the way of meaningful screen time.

Also, they're kind of perfect at everything that isn't empathy and communication. I like them, but they don't have enough petty character flaws for me to relate to. Even if half of Michiru's lines post-S are classy renditions of "That's what SHE said". It's the same problem I have with Tuxedo Mask. You're supposed to like him because he's all cool and mature, but I like him best when he's being the biggest loving dork in the world.

Tuxedo Mask posted:

A supermarket is the people’s fountain of health. The fresh vegetables of the open country and the melt-in-your-mouth thinly sliced meat are mad!

He says that kind of thing all the time with no sense of shame whatsoever. He's really, really underrated as far as comic relief goes.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I found his brief stint as Evil Tuxedo Kamen to be pretty entertaining, sadly he only pulled out the DEMOTIVATOR once :saddowns:

Now I'm at ep 61 and god drat I can't stand him as lovey-doey perfect husbando alter ego. Did he get brainwashed by the silver crystal when I weren't looking? Dude's been knocked over his head one too many times.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Pimpmust posted:

I found his brief stint as Evil Tuxedo Kamen to be pretty entertaining, sadly he only pulled out the DEMOTIVATOR once :saddowns:

Now I'm at ep 61 and god drat I can't stand him as lovey-doey perfect husbando alter ego. Did he get brainwashed by the silver crystal when I weren't looking? Dude's been knocked over his head one too many times.

I don't remember that happening until well into S. First he was a jerk to Usagi because she's loving 14 and he's in college, then he's a jerk because he's brainwashed, then he's a jerk because he doesn't remember who she is and she and An are fighting over him, then (spoiler? maybe you just haven't gotten that far) he's a jerk because he ~had a dream~ and Usagi and Chibi-Usa are fighting over him.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Guess I'm getting to that point again, can't come soon enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I prefer anime Haruka and Michiru because the manga seemed vaguely confused about what a lesbian actually was. The anime basically just went 'these two ladies are dating' while the manga went with this weird NEITHER MALE NOR FEMALE thing without actually getting into trans issues or anything. It was kind of bizarre.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Like most things Sailor Moon, S had the best Mamoru nonsense when he plays straight man to Usagi (who's a dork) and ChibiUsa's (who knows how to push Usagi's buttons) shenanigans.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 25, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

b) fund the Buu arc for DBZ Kai?

Aren't they in the process of dubbing that right now?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Aren't they in the process of dubbing that right now?
Bugger Knows. Kai is such a mess, editorially speaking, which is frustrating because it's the (not TFS) version of DBZ I want most.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the other hand, the Buu Saga without the filler would be like 7 episodes. :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

On the other hand, the Buu Saga without the filler would be like 7 episodes. :v:

I'll take my chances.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Endorph posted:

I prefer anime Haruka and Michiru because the manga seemed vaguely confused about what a lesbian actually was. The anime basically just went 'these two ladies are dating' while the manga went with this weird NEITHER MALE NOR FEMALE thing without actually getting into trans issues or anything. It was kind of bizarre.

Was the weird gender thing something in the original manga? I definitely remember that when the english translation first came out, and I've always thought that may have been some mistranslation or confusion on the translator's part. I haven't read the new translation yet, so I have no clue what it says on that whole issue. Although considering the manga Starlights, I wouldn't be surprised if Naoko Takeuchi actually wrote the "neither male nor female" bits.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Bugger Knows. Kai is such a mess, editorially speaking, which is frustrating because it's the (not TFS) version of DBZ I want most.

It'd be kind of hard to dub the Buu arc since they ended Kai at the end of the Cell arc.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Robviously posted:

It'd be kind of hard to dub the Buu arc since they ended Kai at the end of the Cell arc.

I was under the impression that they just stopped airing it in Japan, because it was doing kind of poorly, but that they were going to keep producing it for other markets because it was doing really well everywhere else. v:v:v

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Huh, well I'll be damned.

In Sailor Moon, since the series is planned to be streamed in multiple languages, I thought, is there any plan for a new release?

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

Chrysolith posted:

Was the weird gender thing something in the original manga? I definitely remember that when the english translation first came out, and I've always thought that may have been some mistranslation or confusion on the translator's part. I haven't read the new translation yet, so I have no clue what it says on that whole issue. Although considering the manga Starlights, I wouldn't be surprised if Naoko Takeuchi actually wrote the "neither male nor female" bits.

There wasn't even really a reason for it to get weird about gender. Lesbians had been depicted in the Sailor Moons predecessors, aimed at the same audience, particularly in Riyo Ikeda's stuff, Sailor Moon just depicted a happy and functional relationship as well as the lesbians. I'm pretty sure in the new translation it mentions Haruka's special power as being in between 'female and male', and still has her teasing of Usagi.

The only reason the anime version didn't get all weird was probably Kunihiko Ikuhara.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I can't really remember, but did they ever explain why the whole 1000 years of ice age before crystal tokyo happened? Or was it just a random ice age? I always wondered why they didn't just stop the ice age altogether instead of waiting a whole thousand years, it just seemed like a jerk move.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

becrumbac posted:

The only reason the anime version didn't get all weird was probably Kunihiko Ikuhara.

That's the weirdest statement I've ever heard, even if it's true.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
New Sailor Moon?! Best news ever~ :swoon:

I used to love this show 13-14 years ago and I don't remember anything other than liking Chibi-Usa the most (I don't know why :sweatdrop:) and that Sailor Jupiter was the best sailor.

Maybe I should re-watch the whole drat show since I'm sick anyway and won't be getting out of bed for a few days. Yeah, nostalgia! :haw:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

New Sailor Moon?! Best news ever~ :swoon:

I used to love this show 13-14 years ago and I don't remember anything other than liking Chibi-Usa the most (I don't know why :sweatdrop:) and that Sailor Jupiter was the best sailor.

Maybe I should re-watch the whole drat show since I'm sick anyway and won't be getting out of bed for a few days. Yeah, nostalgia! :haw:
It's been linked a few times on the thread, but if you want to give yourself some leway, you can use This list to cut out some of the more fillery parts.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Cityinthesea posted:

I can't really remember, but did they ever explain why the whole 1000 years of ice age before crystal tokyo happened? Or was it just a random ice age? I always wondered why they didn't just stop the ice age altogether instead of waiting a whole thousand years, it just seemed like a jerk move.

Crystal Tokyo is from an alternate timeline where the villain from the S movie won.

In the new timeline the show covers Usagi is destined to become a soccer mom and Chibi Usa will lead Japan to women's world cup glory. At one point she travels back in time to train with Pele.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So basically it's the timeline where Inazuma Eleven happens?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Magical girl soccer? There are enough magical girl series to fill out a league's worth of teams.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

IMJack posted:

Magical girl soccer? There are enough magical girl series to fill out a league's worth of teams.

In this new universe, El Derado are trying to destroy soccer before walpurgis night kills everything.

The more I think of it, the more I want it.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
^^^^^^
I'd watch the hell out of that and I kinda hate soccer!

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's been linked a few times on the thread, but if you want to give yourself some leway, you can use This list to cut out some of the more fillery parts.

Thanks! Although it seems in my weakened state the stupidity of the fillers is too entertaining to pass up :haw:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If anyone wants something to tide themselves over besides rewatching the whole series, the Pretty Cure series that's running right now might be a decent substitute - even has the writer from SuperS and Stars.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 26, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though Heartcatch is the best :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HeartCatch, Suite and Smile are all great. Dokidoki (the current series) has been a little rocky overall, but isn't terrible. This past episode with Rosette's father was one of the best.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Though Heartcatch is the best :colbert:

Heartcatch may be my favorite anime. I'd recommend watching the whole thing since it's not that long, but these are the essential episodes: 1-4, 7-8, 10, 13-15, 17-18, 20-27, 31-38, movie, 40, 43-49.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I will never understand the love for Heartcatch Precure, but I'd definitely recommend Smile, Suite, and Splash Star if you want some Sailor Moon-esque shows in the Precure lineup. Precure's an odd one, because it was originally meant to be a magical girl equivalent of DBZ, but after Precure 5 it started becoming really traditional magical girl style.

• Locked thread