Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Azran posted:

A cursory glance through the wiki hasn't revealed anything, so I'll try asking here - how do enemies scale exactly? I installed a level cap remover, so I can go up to 100, but I see people taking Logan's Loophole to avoid going over 30, and I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot here.

Also, I'd love to see a mod that allowed you to REDUCE the level cap. Something like 15, or 25. For a more frontloaded experience, I guess. Any ideas if there's anything like that, or how hard it would be to accomplish for a person with no modding experience?

People like Logan's Loophole because it keeps you from maxing out all of your skills, which if you play a high intelligence character will probably happen by level 45 at the latest. I don't think going over level 50 will make enemies scale any higher than they already do. Pretty sure most enemies hit max levels/skills when the player is level 30.

If you want a lower level cap then the jsawyer mod is a good choice. It caps you at 35 (21 with Logan's Loophole). You can still minmax and get a bunch of skills to 100 if you really want, but it forces you to make more choices about your character build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Project Nevada lets you cap your level too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Agents are GO! posted:

:downs: Ugh, you are right. And to think I was toying with that option a few weeks ago. Thanks a lot for the answers, guys.

I'm still amazed just how alterable the game is.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 24, 2013

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There's a minimum and maximum level for most spawns, I don't know if there are enemies whose stats scale with you or not...

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Bholder posted:

There's a minimum and maximum level for most spawns, I don't know if there are enemies whose stats scale with you or not...

I poked around the game files with FNVedit and unless I'm reading it wrong Benny will always be the same level as the player. So watch out for a buff level 100 Benny!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm playing with JSawyer and it's quite easy at level 25, but admittedly that's probably a product of the RobCo mod and going with a Mad Scientist build, which is ridiculously overpowered. Expanding your party too much diffuses the focus of the combat AI and you can give lobotomites stupidly powerful weapons. I assume running with robots might be a tad more balanced. It's a really cool and functional mod, but mods of such depth can throw off the balance of the game really easily. The Armory mod also does this, at least when JSawyer is active.

The increased spawns mod does really help, though, especially in the early going, when a band of deranged Bright followers or a jackal gang can really gently caress you up and you have to find off-road routes to get to where you need to go. I suspect some encounters (particularly deathclaw, cazadore, high-level assassin and ghoul reaver spawns) would also be pretty brutal at higher levels.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm playing with JSawyer and it's quite easy at level 25, but admittedly that's probably a product of the RobCo mod and going with a Mad Scientist build, which is ridiculously overpowered. Expanding your party too much diffuses the focus of the combat AI and you can give lobotomites stupidly powerful weapons. I assume running with robots might be a tad more balanced. It's a really cool and functional mod, but mods of such depth can throw off the balance of the game really easily. The Armory mod also does this, at least when JSawyer is active.

The increased spawns mod does really help, though, especially in the early going, when a band of deranged Bright followers or a jackal gang can really gently caress you up and you have to find off-road routes to get to where you need to go. I suspect some encounters (particularly deathclaw, cazadore, high-level assassin and ghoul reaver spawns) would also be pretty brutal at higher levels.

RobCo Certified is really awesome but it does imbalance the game no matter what robots you use. 4 RoboBrains or 3 Cyberclaws will kill whatever you throw at them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's also programmed such that your creations will follow you anywhere, including DLCs. So if you're really tired of fighting ghost people, load up some lobotomites with super sledges and enjoy exploring the Sierra Madre unmolested (you can also exploit the fact that their inventories aren't wiped when entering Dead Money / Honest Hearts). Really, RobCo Certified is great for people who would just rather not fight most of the time. It's like having a full party of Boones. And in the unlikely event that a lobotomite dies, all you need is a stimpack to get them into shape again.

I think I would probably keep it around and just build a small army of zombies and robots to "guard" the Lucky 38, but that's just a flavor thing, and I'd have to spare a perk or two.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 24, 2013

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Yeah if I had that kind of spare time I'd love to make a follow up to try and introduce some more challenges and tone down the number of bots you can get as well as their individual stats. The last time I tried to do something like that in NV I spent way more time than I expected and still didn't have enough time to test all the balance changes I had introduced and gave up.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A few playthroughs ago when I played as a nerdy, sciency talky type with Robco, it was great, but I ended up making an ESP to tone down the power of the robco followers. I of course lost it in a format, but it was pretty easy to make. I might have to do that again.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Ah, crap. The Rebalance module only lets me cap myself at 30, not 25. :v: How hard would it be to change that by myself?

EDIT: Or better yet, change Logan's Loophole in Jsawyer to lock me up at 25. That must be considerably easier?

Azran fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 25, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Azran posted:

Ah, crap. The Rebalance module only lets me cap myself at 30, not 25. :v: How hard would it be to change that by myself?

EDIT: Or better yet, change Logan's Loophole in Jsawyer to lock me up at 25. That must be considerably easier?
I hope this works. I take no responsibility if it does not, only because I just bunged this in place for you in the previous ten minutes.

(In case you want to know how it's done, it really is just that easy - you just edit NVDLC03TraitLogansLoophole in the "Perks" category and set the level value to whatever cap you want to put in. I think. I hope. If this eats your computer and your dog, I will disavow all knowledge that I exist.)

And I swear I'll get back to working on Lombard Station soon - I had a slight hiccup with my pain meds, and I'm just now getting back into a maintenance dose. I've been brainless for the past week or so while I get re-acclimated to them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I hope this works. I take no responsibility if it does not, only because I just bunged this in place for you in the previous ten minutes.

(In case you want to know how it's done, it really is just that easy - you just edit NVDLC03TraitLogansLoophole in the "Perks" category and set the level value to whatever cap you want to put in. I think. I hope. If this eats your computer and your dog, I will disavow all knowledge that I exist.)

And I swear I'll get back to working on Lombard Station soon - I had a slight hiccup with my pain meds, and I'm just now getting back into a maintenance dose. I've been brainless for the past week or so while I get re-acclimated to them.

Thanks a lot. :) Both for the file and the mini-tutorial. I'll report back and tell you if it killed my dog or something. :v:

EDIT: It does. :toot: But I wonder, I should remove Jsawyer.esm and replace it with yours, right? It's the exact same file, but with the values changed, I gather?

Azran fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 25, 2013

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Could I make two Lombard Station requests?
1: could you make a blank unscripted wall where I could hang custom guns using the Feng Shui mod?
2: could you add a warp to the lucky 38 suite? A dialog box on the Sink teleporter would be cool (maybe just add a similar one on the upgrade terminal in the Lucky 38 to return.)

Also: don't forget to add in the 12 gauge stocking bug fix. If you need that ESP I can post it when I get home.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I have this glitch with the underground hideout where displayed weapons slowly slide down the wall. They aren't able to be picked up or anything they just slide down from the mounted spots. I can move them with physics, or take them from the wall's inventory, but the model that shows on the wall is on the ground and I can't fix it :'(

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I like Lombard Station, but I used to use Survivalist Bunker and I really think it's underrated. Has anyone else tried Survivalist Bunker? It's located in about the perfect spot in your progression in the vanilla storyline, very clean design, good pathing inside (and companions can wait there), and it has something which I haven't noticed in any other house mods but which is extremely useful: you can set the bunker computer to pack a bag for you with a precise number of meds/ammo/explosives/etc. which is set down by the door. So you can just wander in after a mission, auto-sort your inventory down to nothing, sleep, drink, grab bag and out the door.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Azran posted:

Thanks a lot. :) Both for the file and the mini-tutorial. I'll report back and tell you if it killed my dog or something. :v:

EDIT: It does. :toot: But I wonder, I should remove Jsawyer.esm and replace it with yours, right? It's the exact same file, but with the values changed, I gather?

Yeah, it's just a modified JSawyer. If you re-download from the same link I put up earlier, it should be a slightly fixed version in which I actually remembered to change the description of the trait as well as the actual mechanics, which I just put up nowish.

Agents are GO! posted:

Could I make two Lombard Station requests?
1: could you make a blank unscripted wall where I could hang custom guns using the Feng Shui mod?
2: could you add a warp to the lucky 38 suite? A dialog box on the Sink teleporter would be cool (maybe just add a similar one on the upgrade terminal in the Lucky 38 to return.)

Also: don't forget to add in the 12 gauge stocking bug fix. If you need that ESP I can post it when I get home.
Both of those will go on the back burner to-do list, after the existing rewrite, DLC compatibility patches, Millenia patch, and the Gtab patch this all started as.

I don't think I'm going to need the bugfix .esp, if only because I'm completely rewriting the way more or less everything works. What is the 12 Gauge stocking bug, though? I don't stock ammo, so I never noticed it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So someone (I don't know if it's the same guy) made a spiritual successor to Nevada Sky's URWL

http://www.moddb.com/mods/urwlnv-ultimate-edition-v10-beta/downloads/urwlnv-ultimate-edition-v10-beta

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 25, 2013

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

I like Lombard Station, but I used to use Survivalist Bunker and I really think it's underrated. Has anyone else tried Survivalist Bunker? It's located in about the perfect spot in your progression in the vanilla storyline, very clean design, good pathing inside (and companions can wait there), and it has something which I haven't noticed in any other house mods but which is extremely useful: you can set the bunker computer to pack a bag for you with a precise number of meds/ammo/explosives/etc. which is set down by the door. So you can just wander in after a mission, auto-sort your inventory down to nothing, sleep, drink, grab bag and out the door.

I love it too. It strikes the perfect balance, for me, between "full featured" and "not bloated".

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I'm working my way through my Steam backlog, and finally decided to commit to FNV. I didn't see it mentioned in the OP, but if this is my first time playing through the game are there any mods that are necessary/should be avoided? Thanks.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Geburan posted:

I'm working my way through my Steam backlog, and finally decided to commit to FNV. I didn't see it mentioned in the OP, but if this is my first time playing through the game are there any mods that are necessary/should be avoided? Thanks.

I might be alone in this but I'd suggest going vanilla for the first run. e: (This is the modding thread, sheesh.)

If you're planning on mods you'll probably wind up needing NVSE (New Vegas Script Extender) - Note the 4Gb addressing hack (needed with some high res texture packs and such) is compatible with NVSE and is linked to in the Troubleshooting/FAQ section on that page (scroll down.) Maybe it's an all-in-one version now and the site hasn't been updated, I'm not sure about that. You'll probably need a mod loader as well, see the OP of the modding thread.

The NMC texture packs (hires textures) are popular and come in small, medium and large flavors to accommodate your GPU. They seem to be fairly true to the original graphics but with higher resolution.

snooman fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 25, 2013

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Geburan posted:

I'd at least get a UI mod. I use MTUI though a lot of people like DarnUI. You might also want to pick up some of the radio extenders that expand the music selection for the radio stations. Big Iron is a great song but once you've heard it about 500 times...

Other than that, there's no absolute must-haves or anything. No required bugfix mods or the like. Play it once through vanilla and figure out what you wanna change for your second playthrough.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Geburan posted:

I'll back up the two posters ahead of me; for your first run, don't do anything that will change gameplay. Texture overhauls won't change the game other than making it prettier, and lots of people swear by UI mods, though the game is perfectly playable without them. I will strongly recommend CASM, since it is 100% better than the vanilla save system.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
On the subject of housing mods, I haven't heard of the Survivalist Bunker, but the Portable tent mod has an interesting method of sorting. Using the terminal, it is possible to assign items to go into various containers, so even if an weapon/armor/drug is added by a mod, you can insert it into the appropriate menu, and it will sort there from that point forward. The other interesting thing is that you can define exclusions on what shouldn't be sorted, so you can say "I want everything to be removed and sorted except my hunting rifle, 30 .308 bullets and 3 stimpacks", and the sorting will leave you with those items, adding them to you from your storage if you don't have them already in your inventory.

Basically, the feature I desire most from a housing mod is an extension of this capability, where it's possible to define some loadouts, so that if I can define various preset items I want to equip just by selecting some button (whether on a terminal or an activator world object). I would be able to walk in, press the button, have my inventory sorted and my loadout equiped (such as a pistol, ammo, armor and some healing items), and be ready to go without messing about with individual containers.

But that's just my fantasy, I don't expect to see it actually happen.

In other news, I managed to get TTW working by moving the files to my laptop and running the patcher there. Apparently it just didn't like my desktop. So far, it's fairly stable, better the FO3 was, and about the same as FNV, so I'm considering it a success thus far.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Yeah, it's just a modified JSawyer. If you re-download from the same link I put up earlier, it should be a slightly fixed version in which I actually remembered to change the description of the trait as well as the actual mechanics, which I just put up nowish.

Both of those will go on the back burner to-do list, after the existing rewrite, DLC compatibility patches, Millenia patch, and the Gtab patch this all started as.

I don't think I'm going to need the bugfix .esp, if only because I'm completely rewriting the way more or less everything works. What is the 12 Gauge stocking bug, though? I don't stock ammo, so I never noticed it.

If I recall correctly, basically the script had a bug: it would take 24 shells for each box it put on the shelf, but each box would only give you 12 shells, so you'd lose half your shells in the bargain.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

If I recall correctly, basically the script had a bug: it would take 24 shells for each box it put on the shelf, but each box would only give you 12 shells, so you'd lose half your shells in the bargain.

Ah, yeah, that won't be happening when I'm done, since I'm rewriting more or less all the scripts. I might be reorganizing the shelves a little, too, but that's only because this is less "Lombard Station with slight changes" and more "Lombard Station completely gutted and redone because I have too much free time". That's the kind of funny thing - I could probably just make my own player home instead (and I might make one after I figure all this out), but I like Lombard too much to not tweak it to my preference.

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 26, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is Lombard navmeshed? My companions never seem to make it down the tunnel to the entrance unless I push them down a ways.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Psion posted:

Is Lombard navmeshed? My companions never seem to make it down the tunnel to the entrance unless I push them down a ways.

I have the same thing for the base game companions, the ones from RobCo certified work totally fine and follow me up and down the stairs. No idea what the deal is.

Does anyone know if the changes made in JSawyer will carry across to the Capitol Wasteland in Tale of Two Wastelands? Also, if the NV version of RobCo Certified will work in the Capitol Wasteland, or if you'd need to Frankenstein together the NV and FO3 versions?

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 26, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Psion posted:

It is, but it looks as if the starting position for the player and companions isn't actually placed on the mesh. I just moved them to the part of the mesh closest to the door, and I'll see in later tests how that works.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I'm currently reinstalling and selecting mods. I can't see EVE - Essential Visual Enhancements in the OP, is it because it's terrible/broken/buggy? :ohdear:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fewd posted:

I'm currently reinstalling and selecting mods. I can't see EVE - Essential Visual Enhancements in the OP, is it because it's terrible/broken/buggy? :ohdear:
EVE makes eneryg weapons and explosions look really pretty, but it's not the most stable of mods and can lead to increased CTD & freezing issues. Someone who uses the last release may correct me, but as far as I know there haven't been any improvements in terms of stability.
Also EVE adds some dumb poo poo that have nothing to with the premise of the mod like people vomiting when they get hit by a critical hit (which was also broken when it was originally introduced and caused NPCs all over the place to continually vomit).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 26, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So did I mess something up? I'm playing with PN (Core-Equipment), Jsawyer and CCO (not using Gameplay changes though, but I am using the Companion bit); and ED-E's carry weight is just 35kg. :psyduck: Is this intended? I remember it being 75 when I wasn't using Jsawyer, but the patch notes say nothing (besides a reduction to base carry weight, but does that affect companions too?)

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Raygereio posted:

EVE makes eneryg weapons and explosions look really pretty, but it's not the most stable of mods and can lead to increased CTD & freezing issues. Someone who uses the last release may correct me, but as far as I know there haven't been any improvements in terms of stability.
Also EVE adds some dumb poo poo that have nothing to with the premise of the mod like people vomiting when they get hit by a critical hit (which was also broken when it was originally introduced and caused NPCs all over the place to continually vomit).

Ah. Eh, well I don't need blood splurts that badly, gonna skip it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I think EVE was cleaned of dirty edits at one point, it should be better now. Otherwise you can fix it pretty easily with FNVEdit. I haven't had any problems with it since then, at least.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Azran posted:

So did I mess something up? I'm playing with PN (Core-Equipment), Jsawyer and CCO (not using Gameplay changes though, but I am using the Companion bit); and ED-E's carry weight is just 35kg. :psyduck: Is this intended? I remember it being 75 when I wasn't using Jsawyer, but the patch notes say nothing (besides a reduction to base carry weight, but does that affect companions too?)
PN's adjusted carry weight applies to companions, too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

sockpuppetclock posted:

PN's adjusted carry weight applies to companions, too.

Oh, alright, thanks.

Also - should I worry when the DT value number disappears? I tried to make my armoured duster (Spice of Life, I think) my signature armour, and it unequipped it at first. Now, neither my headgear or the duster display either DR or DT. Other pieces of armour display it though. :ohdear:

EDIT: They appear if I try to sell them.

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 26, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fewd posted:

Raygereio posted:

SplitSoul posted:

I think EVE was cleaned of dirty edits at one point, it should be better now. Otherwise you can fix it pretty easily with FNVEdit. I haven't had any problems with it since then, at least.

I have to admit that I think EVE initially got a bad rap, both because of its buggy legacy and because of its buggy start in New Vegas. That being said, I've gotten the impression that it's been improved significantly since then, and I could actually put it in the OP if people would like. I don't really have an idea of it's a popular mod / common feature of load orders around here.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
EVE is running fine for me. I've had that on an install for the last couple months.

Akalies
May 31, 2000
Has anyone come across an ENB preset that doesn't radically alter the game's palette? I know a lot of people dislike the orange tint, but I think its part of the game's charm and too many ENB's focus on making things bright and cheery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
APEX ENB is pretty sweet, although it is a bit different.