Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm no cat psychology expert so I could be wrong about this, but from what I've read cats don't respond to "discipline" or "punishment" in the same way that dogs do and the way you seem to be expecting. If you get angry at a cat and the cat knows you're angry at it, it'll go "Oh, Zenzirouj is angry and doing things I don't like to me again, I'll just wait until they stop that and go on with my life" rather than wanting to please you or prevent you from being angry. It might, at best, decide not to do the thing while you're there and watching and try to do it when you're not watching. For example, when my kitten used to jump on the bookshelf where she wasn't allowed then yelling at her would make her jump down but it wouldn't stop her jumping back up again as soon as she felt like it.

What cats are VERY good at is deciding that they don't want to do something ever again if that thing itself turns out to be unpleasant. The trick is that you have to make the thing they're doing unpleasant in itself or trick them into thinking that it was the thing which was unpleasant. It can't come from you directly. For example, the way I stopped my kitten from jumping on the bookshelf permanently was to put the vacuum cleaner nearby and switch it on from a distance whenever she jumped on the bookshelf. She did it twice and she has never done it again since because the vacuum cleaner terrifies her and apparently jumping on the bookshelf will invoke the awful scary noise.

So basically your best bet is to get a bit creative with things that he hates and connecting them to peeing on the bed (or jumping on the bed at all, if that's easier). Cats like peeing on soft things, you could also try putting a board or some other hard surface on top of your bed while you're not in it.

Hmm, ok, thanks, I'll try something like this. I knew these kinds of things were common suggestions, but I didn't know that the idea was to make the unpleasantness look like it's coming from somewhere else because cats are contrarian assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!

Ratzap posted:

This is very cat behaviour. We get them in all the time from concerned people who have been feeding a cat in their garden or that comes into their homes. All very laudable and good so far but they are much loved pets who just happen to enjoy company/food so much they have a 'round' in the area they live in.

So the answer is you'll need to go round and find out for yourselves. The cat may not be happy there (children, new other pets and many things will drive a cat out), may not be cared for or it could be a loved and pampered pet who just likes to scrounge off anyone kind enough to feed it.

As a teacher of Year 1 children last year, one of my favourite books was Six Dinner Sid. Sid was a naughty cat who went house to house in the neighborhood polishing off 6 dinners a day! I love that there are children's books illustrating this behaviour.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

I guess tortoiseshells have a reputation for being obnoxious or something, but she's been very well behaved. Other than the carrier incident but that's probably mostly me for not just getting it over with. At least she doesn't hold a grudge against me for the whole thing.

And do some cats not like treats? I've bought her 2 types and she didn't really like either of them. I got her some "Blue" tuna chewy bites (just sniffs them and moves on) and some freeze dried chicken pieces (sniffs them and moves on). Is there anything that's different from those 2 types? Or is it the meat type?

She's lovely but brindle torties do have a reputation for being nuts rather than obnoxious. I'll raise you a photo of my girl

She unlike yours eats anything treat-like. Try dreamies or the felix treats, most cats I know will go for those.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
My cat doesn't give two shits about catnip. Is she broken / a dog? What alternatives, if any, can I get to make my cat enjoy being high?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Coconut Indian posted:

I just moved into a new apartment complex and found out that pets are only allowed for residents that have been grandfathered in (only small caged pets are allowed). My cat is now staying with my mom who has no problem taking care of her, but I miss her and I don't want to dump my little Squeaks on my mother for an indefinite amount of time. I wish I had found an apartment that allows pets but I had to find an affordable apartment quickly and all the cat friendly complexes were in bad neighborhoods.

The thing is, my cat has partial vision in one eye and having her around has really helped elevate my mood and decrease my stress levels and anxiety (grad school) as dumb as that may sound. I don't have a counselor to back that up, but I'm wondering if I could talk to a counselor at school to help vouch for the situation with the HOA. Do any of you have any experience getting around a no pet policy (especially for a medical/mental health reason)? Again the complex isn't completely against pets and since she's female and spayed, and barely vocal, she shouldn't cause any problems. There's also no carpeting and she doesn't bolt for the door ever, rather away.

If I tried to sneak her in and they found out, I'd be fined but not kicked out, but I don't know if that's a wise course of action.

Don't try and sneak her in. I would talk to them and see what they say if you mention the cat is therapeutic for you. Tell them that you can pursue a doctor's note documenting the effect if they need it. If they agree, make sure you get the addendum to your lease in writing so you don't get screwed over later by a he-said-she-said situation. If they want you to get a note or certification, definitely talk to a counselor to see if that will be possible.

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

Dr. Lenin posted:

My cat doesn't give two shits about catnip. Is she broken / a dog? What alternatives, if any, can I get to make my cat enjoy being high?

How old is your cat? Some cats don't start enjoying the nip tell they pass kitten hood. And my sisters cat didn't enjoy any other nip then forums member D8 (some say he has the best nip this side of the equator.:catdrugs:). He has a shop in SA-Mart if you want to check it out.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
~4 years old. I'll check out his shop, thanks! Is it true that honeysuckle is also good to use?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I just brought home my girlfriend's parent's cat, who they were not able to keep for a variety of reasons (which will become clear later). He seems to generally be doing OK - he is sociable, active, eating, drinking, and pissing. He just arrived on Sunday, never had a "stressed period," and right from the get go socialized with us and acted pretty normal.Only problem? He is pooping outside of his box. Like, three or four feet from it. He's done it three times now in about 36 hours. He pisses in the box, and he's pooped in it once as well. I clean it ~2 times a day, and he's using the same litter that he had at his last home.

He is about five years old, neutered, and does have some digestive issues; dry food causes him to get dangerously constipated, so his vet had him on a diet of wet food, pumpkin, and fiber supplement, which has been working fine for him for some time. I am using the exact same food and additives that he has been having.

My primary concern is that I semi-startled him mid-deed while he was in his box, causing him to jump out and drop it on the floor. :downs: Should I worry about him being afraid of his box now? Or is it just stress catching up with him?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

IuniusBrutus posted:

Should I worry about him being afraid of his box now? Or is it just stress catching up with him?
I can't speak to literally any of the rest of your post because I'm not qualified to do so, but I'm gonna shill for Cat Attract litter additive (or the straight-up litter) if you're not using it already. We have a cat who poops outside the box every now and again, but when we add the Cat Attract the incidence goes down to nearly none.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Serella posted:

Don't try and sneak her in. I would talk to them and see what they say if you mention the cat is therapeutic for you. Tell them that you can pursue a doctor's note documenting the effect if they need it. If they agree, make sure you get the addendum to your lease in writing so you don't get screwed over later by a he-said-she-said situation. If they want you to get a note or certification, definitely talk to a counselor to see if that will be possible.

Thanks. I should be able to see someone next week for possible documentation. Hopefully the HOA lady will be gracious about it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My friend just called me up and he is pretty frantic. I used to live in NYC but moved to Vermont so I am a good 5+ hours from him, so I can't help him in person. He called me because he knows I love cats. I am at work right now so I can't mess around on the internet/on my phone much. Can anyone give me good advice to give him please? He just found a cat out in the middle of the street. Very small but not a newborn. Eyes are closed shut with gunk. He said the gunk is green and smells like a dead body.

I told him to take it to a vet and I'd pay the vet charges, but he said the vet wouldn't take him (all he said was "the vet was an rear end in a top hat". I couldn't get more details, again, because I am at work) . He cannot keep the kitten. However, he is willing to hold him for a few days until I can get down there over the weekend so I can take the cat around getting fixed up and then into my home for fostering. I just need to know what advice to give my friend. I already told him no milk and to keep him warm if he seems cold. He already has a dog and a cat, so I told him do not let them come in contact with each other. He said the cat has a cough. I am thinking URI. :sigh:

Any advice I can give this guy until he is able to find a decent vet or I can make it there would be appreciated.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 25, 2013

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

Dr. Lenin posted:

~4 years old. I'll check out his shop, thanks! Is it true that honeysuckle is also good to use?

Yeah by 4 most cats are well into enjoying the nip. As far as honeysuckle goes I hadn't heard anything about it affecting cats before so I have no personal experience with it, I can't say one way or another. but here is a FAQ on it. http://www.catniptoys.com/pages/Honeysuckle-FAQ.html . And Sorry the forums members name is dee eight. I guess he has changed his forums name again. And good luck getting your kitty wrecked.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

My friend just called me up and he is pretty frantic. I used to live in NYC but moved to Vermont so I am a good 5+ hours from him, so I can't help him in person. He called me because he knows I love cats. I am at work right now so I can't mess around on the internet/on my phone much. Can anyone give me good advice to give him please? He just found a cat out in the middle of the street. Very small but not a newborn. Eyes are closed shut with gunk. He said the gunk is green and smells like a dead body.

The eye gunk is fairly typical in cat flu and will need treating properly. I've heard of rescues refusing to take in a cat with flu but never a vet. If not cleared up quickly and effectively it can lead to having to remove eyeball(s) or the inner lid fused to the cornea. If it has an eye infection that advanced it's going to be hungry, thirsty and probably have some sort of parasites. It needs a vet, rear end in a top hat or not there has to be a professional who will see it and it needs one soon to keep it's sight.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Paul E. Waug posted:

Yeah by 4 most cats are well into enjoying the nip. As far as honeysuckle goes I hadn't heard anything about it affecting cats before so I have no personal experience with it, I can't say one way or another. but here is a FAQ on it. http://www.catniptoys.com/pages/Honeysuckle-FAQ.html . And Sorry the forums members name is dee eight. I guess he has changed his forums name again. And good luck getting your kitty wrecked.

Some cats just aren't catnip responders, and no matter what, they don't give two shits about catnip.

Ratzap posted:

The eye gunk is fairly typical in cat flu and will need treating properly. I've heard of rescues refusing to take in a cat with flu but never a vet. If not cleared up quickly and effectively it can lead to having to remove eyeball(s) or the inner lid fused to the cornea. If it has an eye infection that advanced it's going to be hungry, thirsty and probably have some sort of parasites. It needs a vet, rear end in a top hat or not there has to be a professional who will see it and it needs one soon to keep it's sight.

Exactly. However, the hard part may be that the nearby vets are "filled up" of kittens. Very young kittens can take a lot of work, especially if they're being passed off (as in, not being owned) to the vet, and usually a vet will have 1-2 people who deal with young kittens like that. You can only take so many before you end up not sleeping, ever, so since they still have to go to work, they limit the number they take.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Rabbit Hill posted:

Hey, this just happened in my house, too. This morning I discovered that one of my two cats (don't know which) had peed on a folded blanket in the room across from his litterbox. How long should I wait to see if it happens again (or give it a chance for the issue to resolve) before making a vet appointment?

E: The weird thing is that the wet spot didn't smell like much at all, but what else could it have been but pee? It was a big wet spot and there are no water sources around the area.

Well, just from prior experience, my old man kitty Stimpy who died last year at 16 had some urinary issues (along with a mast cell tumor and IBS). He peed outside the box several times and it was so dilute that it didn't smell like cat pee at all. I honestly don't remember what our vet called it (he had so many little issues by then, poor meezer :cry: )but it had something to do with the kidneys not working correctly etc.

I am really not trying to scare you by any means, but I would take your kitty in for a checkup about that just to be sure that his kidneys are all ok. It never hurts to check and be sure. It might just be a wet spot from an overactive drooler as well.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
TBH it probably was wee because you only get two or three mL of drool from the most hilarious droolers, and I don't think that would be enough to wet a blanket through in the way the poster's describing. I'd go to the vet, they can take a blood test and check kidney function.

E: I'm trying to think of ways to fatten my old cat up a bit, since she's lost a lot of weight since February. I've heard that giving old cats wet kitten food can put meat on their bones, would that make sense? I've just switched her to digestive kibble and she's back to her old self after the melena scare last week. Anyone have tips for fattening up a geriatric? She has no trouble with appetite, but the kibble and meat every night just don't put the weight on her.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 25, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BearDrivingTruck posted:

So, my family's cat, who we've had since I was 10, got really sick on Friday and had to be put down last night. I wasn't able to be there, since I'm in college, but I can't help but wonder if there was anything I could have done, even though I know I couldn't. How have all of you coped in the past? Does spending time around other cats help?

Bit late to respond but last year I had to put down both of my cats (one 18 and sick,Persian, and my 17 year old Siamese)

The Persian had gotten sick and couldn't even keep her head up (she's put it against the floor or a door and just... sit there) so when we put her down it was sad but it was for the best. I was upset but I kept her in my heart because of it.

My Siamese however was 17 and healthy to the point where he was still running around yowling jumping on *everything* and acting like a newborn with all his energy. It was frankly scary. We had to put him down though because our current apartment was threatening to evict us and we couldn't find anyone to adopt a 17 year old cat, and we knew if we gave him to a shelter (which, I've raised him for 17 years, the thought of that alone was killing me) he wouldn't do well and there's no way he'd find a home. When we put him down it was the absolute worst thing in the world because the cat was clinging to me on his hindlegs wanting to go home when the doctors approached with the needle. I still haven't forgiven myself for it.

Just know it could of been a lot worse. My two recent cats I've been posting about on and off have helped me tremendously, though I highly suggest giving some time before getting another (if you even plan to).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

HelloSailorSign posted:

Exactly. However, the hard part may be that the nearby vets are "filled up" of kittens. Very young kittens can take a lot of work, especially if they're being passed off (as in, not being owned) to the vet, and usually a vet will have 1-2 people who deal with young kittens like that. You can only take so many before you end up not sleeping, ever, so since they still have to go to work, they limit the number they take.

Ok, that's fair enough. There seem to be more vets than work for them round here though which is probably why I've not been knocked back by one yet (thinking about it, it's a wonder they all still practice because there are simply more than are needed - or perhaps the farm business here in ruralshire keeps them going).

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

HelloSailorSign posted:

I feel like the vet should have said something along the lines of "We don't have room for the kitten at this time, but you can try XYZ vet around the corner."

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

Well, just from prior experience, my old man kitty Stimpy who died last year at 16 had some urinary issues (along with a mast cell tumor and IBS). He peed outside the box several times and it was so dilute that it didn't smell like cat pee at all. I honestly don't remember what our vet called it (he had so many little issues by then, poor meezer :cry: )but it had something to do with the kidneys not working correctly etc.

I am really not trying to scare you by any means, but I would take your kitty in for a checkup about that just to be sure that his kidneys are all ok. It never hurts to check and be sure. It might just be a wet spot from an overactive drooler as well.

Aw, crap. Sorry to hear about your poor cat -- what a great name he had!

It was definitely pee, since it soaked through three layers of a thick folded quilt, and I found another spot on the rug last night that was dry and only very faintly smelled of pee if I put my nose to it. I'm going to try to see if I can figure out which cat is doing this tonight, because I really don't want to have to haul both of them to the vet at the same time if one of them doesn't need it.

I don't mean to be harsh on the kitten, but...I hope it's the kitten doing this, since he's so much easier to handle than the adult cat, and the adult cat is already chronically ill with asthma and heart problems and is already a big jerk about taking his two medications nicely.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Fruity Gordo posted:

TBH it probably was wee because you only get two or three mL of drool from the most hilarious droolers, and I don't think that would be enough to wet a blanket through in the way the poster's describing. I'd go to the vet, they can take a blood test and check kidney function.

Droolers aren't too noticeable but I used to have a cat that would suckle and leave these big gross wet spots on pillows and blankets. Pretty icky to lie on one of the wet spots he created. It's still worth checking out with a vet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I told him to take it to a vet and I'd pay the vet charges, but he said the vet wouldn't take him (all he said was "the vet was an rear end in a top hat". I couldn't get more details, again, because I am at work) . He cannot keep the kitten. However, he is willing to hold him for a few days until I can get down there over the weekend so I can take the cat around getting fixed up and then into my home for fostering. I just need to know what advice to give my friend. I already told him no milk and to keep him warm if he seems cold. He already has a dog and a cat, so I told him do not let them come in contact with each other. He said the cat has a cough. I am thinking URI. :sigh:

Any advice I can give this guy until he is able to find a decent vet or I can make it there would be appreciated.

Ended up getting him to a vet and getting him in a foster home. :toot:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I want to switch my cat back to some dry food but I'm afraid it's really bad for him :ohdear:. He had one case of FIC earlier this year that was mitigated by stress and we switched to an all canned diet in response. He's had no reoccurance and pees like a champ. But, to be honest, mostly because of cost we want to reduce his wet food intake to make it last longer. I calculated how much of each I need to maintain his weight but I still feel like I'm poisoning my cat or something by feeding him dry.

We're going to get a water fountain soon for him as he likes to drink warm, moving water better than something that sits. Is there anything else I should do to make sure he doesn't get any more urinary problems?

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Re: droolers

My last cat must have been weaned too early or something because she would nurse and leave giant wet spots pretty much everywhere, especially on couches, carpets, and blankets. For eighteen and a half years.

If you smelled the pee, then I guess that's what it was, but don't discount the drool theory just yet. Does your kitty drink a lot? I've never witnessed cat pee that wasn't horrifically pungent.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Awful app double post.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Ratzap posted:

She's lovely but brindle torties do have a reputation for being nuts rather than obnoxious. I'll raise you a photo of my girl

She unlike yours eats anything treat-like. Try dreamies or the felix treats, most cats I know will go for those.

:3: I love torties so much. They are really the weirdest of all cats. Some of them are just nuts.

I think it's harder to get them adopted then it is black cats at our shelter. :(

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
Soooo in regards to my cat that has peed all over the place...

Late afternoon, folding laundry in my living room, plotting what device I can use to transport this infidel to the humane society. Box? Bag? Surely not my own cat carrier because GOD FORBID it call into question the bullshit story of this "unidentified stray that is sooo sweet and tame" story that I absolutely would have made up.

The best and only advice received? "Take her to the vet". That's Goon gold there!

Anyway, since I had just recently been to the vet (as posted) I sat at my computer and stewed for a bit and was soon overwhelmed and baffled by the "slutty" behavior of my Bella. I mean... she's friendly sure. We get along. She likes to cuddle. I like to cuddle. Except... well... she's we've never really had the "Sit still while I twerk on you" type of relationship! Yeah.... she's in heat. Which can result in peeing outside of the litter box. Totally common!

Neither my husband or I have come across this issue because neither of us had encountered a pet that was not fixed!

Don't worry sweetheart. We'll rip those reproductive organs out of you and all will be well! But...if you twerk on me again I WILL CUT YOU IN HALF!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My cat is half-inside half-outside, but she hasn't come in for a day or so. She's sitting in a patch of dirt where fall tomatoes will be planted and won't accept a bowl of water I put next to her. She seems timid, not all there, and not accepting of any stimuli. The exact opposite of how she normally is. She's curled up asleep at the moment, which is 100% not her pattern, she sleeps during the day only. Do I take her to the vet immediately? I can check again in seven hours, but I'd like for her to drink something.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

My cat is half-inside half-outside, but she hasn't come in for a day or so. She's sitting in a patch of dirt where fall tomatoes will be planted and won't accept a bowl of water I put next to her. She seems timid, not all there, and not accepting of any stimuli. The exact opposite of how she normally is. She's curled up asleep at the moment, which is 100% not her pattern, she sleeps during the day only. Do I take her to the vet immediately? I can check again in seven hours, but I'd like for her to drink something.

Yes. I would take her immediately, not wait to check for hours. She could be injured, or very ill.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It has to be an illness, she's definitely not injured. Ugh.

When she was a kitten, she got into some antifreeze and drat near killed her kidneys. She's been perfectly healthy for nine years, this is so weird. My parents think she just ate too much dove (a common thing), but this is different.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

mcknitknot posted:

Soooo in regards to my cat that has peed all over the place...

Late afternoon, folding laundry in my living room, plotting what device I can use to transport this infidel to the humane society. Box? Bag? Surely not my own cat carrier because GOD FORBID it call into question the bullshit story of this "unidentified stray that is sooo sweet and tame" story that I absolutely would have made up.

The best and only advice received? "Take her to the vet". That's Goon gold there!

Anyway, since I had just recently been to the vet (as posted) I sat at my computer and stewed for a bit and was soon overwhelmed and baffled by the "slutty" behavior of my Bella. I mean... she's friendly sure. We get along. She likes to cuddle. I like to cuddle. Except... well... she's we've never really had the "Sit still while I twerk on you" type of relationship! Yeah.... she's in heat. Which can result in peeing outside of the litter box. Totally common!

Neither my husband or I have come across this issue because neither of us had encountered a pet that was not fixed!

Don't worry sweetheart. We'll rip those reproductive organs out of you and all will be well! But...if you twerk on me again I WILL CUT YOU IN HALF!!!

I actually gave you TWO pieces of advice that WEREN'T "take her to the vet." Congrats on having the reading comprehension level of a six year old. Glad you aren't throwing away the cat you adopted because she did a thing that all animals do occasionally.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Brought home a bonded pair of rescues last night. I had asked some questions about special needs cats, but, perhaps thankfully, the rescue didn't have any at the time. We decided on a very sweet pair, 3 and 4 year old female tabbies, one a medium hair who looks to be a bit Maine Coon and the other a sliver / black tabby. Named the 3 year old silver / grey tabby Simone, haven't decided on a name for the 3 year old medium hair yet, but she's kind of a priss and drama queen so far, so I want something to remind me of that. Leaning towards Freya, but we'll see.

At the rescue, we had to take a 'family portrait' as one of the last stages of the adoption process. Sadly this really seemed to freak out Freya, (the fact that we had 3 people with 2 cats crammed into a tiny room probably did not help)and then we had to go through a heartbreaking time getting her into a carrier. By the end of it, the rescue's animal behaviorist looked emotionally drained, as she had to be rather rough to get the poor girl into a carrier. I felt really bad for the both cats and the behavioralist, as I'm sure they were all terribly stressed by it.

We got home and they both appear to be acclimating nicely. We kept them confined to the living room for a while (with the dining room table stood on end), but our apartment is smallish, so by 1 AM, about 6 hours after we got home, we let them have reign over the open areas (probably a total of ~600 square feet, as the living room, dining room and kitchen have no doors between them). No accidents overnight and both seem to be eating and drinking. Both still seem stressed, so we've been using Feliway liberally (the rescue was super kind and gave us a bottle of spray and a Feliway plugin after Freya's stressful time getting into the carrier). Freya is understandably having a bit harder time, and has been lashing out at Simone here and there, but nothing beyond hissing and some swiping. The behaviorist said this would happen, so it's not too concerning.

The folks at the rescue said they were some of the most affectionate cats they had, and they are already exhibiting some of those qualities, even under duress. Both have rubbed up on us to mark us and have accepted light affection. Freya will come and do this while growling, but we've taken it in stride. Poor girl is stressed and we just want to make it easier for her to acclimate. Simone managed to steal into the bedroom this morning while my fiancee was getting ready for work and promptly sat next to me and let me pet her for some time before scampering off. We've just been trying to let them be and explore on their own terms, with a few brief pets, treats and affection here and there when they come near us.

All of that in mind, how long should we expect until the poor stressed gals are more comfortable? Is there anything more we can do to help them feel comfortable in their new home more quickly?

Edit: Now with pictures!

Simone:

Freya:

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 26, 2013

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
This thread has been crucial in helping me prepare for two new cats. We decided to go with adult cats, a ten year old female named Sterling:

And a five year old male originally named Blacky... We went ahead and changed his name. Meet Poe:

:3:

These cats are so unbelievably well behaved. I thought we were gonna have a few challenging nights with these guys, but they've been right at home since day one.

Get adult cats. Adult cats are loving awesome.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
I agree, get adult cats. Adult cats are (hopefully) less likely than a kitten to climb under your covers and bite you square on the rear end at 6 in the morning. :sigh:

Your new cats are beautiful! I've always wanted a black cat.

aghastly fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 26, 2013

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

aghastly posted:

I agree, get adult cats. Adult cats are (hopefully) less likely than a kitten to climb under your covers and bite you square on the rear end at 6 in the morning. :sigh:

Your new cats are beautiful! I've always wanted a black cat.

Black cats are awesome and pretty much every shelter has an overabundance of them. People won't take them because of superstition and the fact that they're kind of difficult to photograph (and thus advertise) but I've had 3 black cats and all of them were great. (well, one is kind of a little poo poo, but she's spoiled because she's my favorite)

What I'm saying is, get a black cat. Everybody get a black cat right now. :colbert:

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004
^^^ Black cats are amazing. I know you're serious that they are hard to adopt out, but it boggles my mind that people are actually genuinely superstitious about them. What century are we living in here?

aghastly posted:

Adult cats are (hopefully) less likely than a kitten to climb under your covers and bite you square on the rear end at 6 in the morning. :sigh:

My kitten has decided that, since there are currently no other cats around to imitate, she will become a snake instead. She's been cobra striking everything for days now. :psyduck: Even tiny kitten faces are terrifying when they are coming straight at your eyeball.

It's such a pleasure to escape to my boyfriend's where his grown up cats are content to chill all over me and anchor me to the sofa.

Edit for legit, albeit possibly stupid question: I just weaned kitten off her bottle, and she has taken to eating her wet kitten food like a champ. I'd been adding KMR to it, and then eventually just water, and now it's mostly just wet food with a bowl of water out, too, but I don't know if she's drinking the water at all, and I'm afraid that if she's not and I quit adding any extra water to her food she'll get dehydrated.

Is she just not drinking because she's so hydrated from the food she doesn't need to, and if I stop adding water she'll drink when she's thirsty? I kind of skipped the lapping formula from the bowl step and went straight to mixed wet food/KMR, so that's why I'm worried.

triskadekaphilia fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 26, 2013

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

JayJay posted:

:3: I love torties so much. They are really the weirdest of all cats. Some of them are just nuts.

I think it's harder to get them adopted then it is black cats at our shelter. :(

I'm a sucker for gingers, tabbys and torties but character trumps looks every day. I could stare at Buffy (the cat in the photo) for ages when she wanders around. Different light levels and angles change the colours and features in her coat as she moves. And when she ducks under a bush into shadow she's all but invisible, great camo pattern.

Here in Scotland we find it hardest to move on long haired cats, we finally got 2 rehomed this week that had been in a pen for over 10 months. But as I keep telling my mother (who runs the group) it beats them living rough or being put to sleep. I'd say a good 60% of all the cats we get in are pure black or black and white - it must be the gene pool here.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Marathanes posted:

Brought home a bonded pair of rescues last night. I had asked some questions about special needs cats, but, perhaps thankfully, the rescue didn't have any at the time. We decided on a very sweet pair, 3 and 4 year old female tabbies, one a medium hair who looks to be a bit Maine Coon and the other a sliver / black tabby. Named the 3 year old silver / grey tabby Simone, haven't decided on a name for the 3 year old medium hair yet, but she's kind of a priss and drama queen so far, so I want something to remind me of that. Leaning towards Freya, but we'll see.

At the rescue, we had to take a 'family portrait' as one of the last stages of the adoption process. Sadly this really seemed to freak out Freya, (the fact that we had 3 people with 2 cats crammed into a tiny room probably did not help)and then we had to go through a heartbreaking time getting her into a carrier. By the end of it, the rescue's animal behaviorist looked emotionally drained, as she had to be rather rough to get the poor girl into a carrier. I felt really bad for the both cats and the behavioralist, as I'm sure they were all terribly stressed by it.

We got home and they both appear to be acclimating nicely. We kept them confined to the living room for a while (with the dining room table stood on end), but our apartment is smallish, so by 1 AM, about 6 hours after we got home, we let them have reign over the open areas (probably a total of ~600 square feet, as the living room, dining room and kitchen have no doors between them). No accidents overnight and both seem to be eating and drinking. Both still seem stressed, so we've been using Feliway liberally (the rescue was super kind and gave us a bottle of spray and a Feliway plugin after Freya's stressful time getting into the carrier). Freya is understandably having a bit harder time, and has been lashing out at Simone here and there, but nothing beyond hissing and some swiping. The behaviorist said this would happen, so it's not too concerning.

The folks at the rescue said they were some of the most affectionate cats they had, and they are already exhibiting some of those qualities, even under duress. Both have rubbed up on us to mark us and have accepted light affection. Freya will come and do this while growling, but we've taken it in stride. Poor girl is stressed and we just want to make it easier for her to acclimate. Simone managed to steal into the bedroom this morning while my fiancee was getting ready for work and promptly sat next to me and let me pet her for some time before scampering off. We've just been trying to let them be and explore on their own terms, with a few brief pets, treats and affection here and there when they come near us.

All of that in mind, how long should we expect until the poor stressed gals are more comfortable? Is there anything more we can do to help them feel comfortable in their new home more quickly?

Edit: Now with pictures!

Simone:

Freya:

Hooray for your adoption! I have my own short haired tabby, so I already think Simone is pretty, but long haired Freya is gorgeous! When it comes to helping a scaredy cat get used to a new house, especially after a stressful transfer I would suggest gently ignoring her. Sit somewhere where she has access to you and do something quiet like read or watch TV and let her come to you on her own terms. Chasing her down to offer affection might only scare her more. Cats see "disinterested" body language (no eye contact, relaxed posture) as a signal that someone is chill and not a threat, which is why people who dislike cats always get cats magnetically drawn to them.

Our frightened cat took about a month to be totally comfortable in our house. Just have patience and she'll come around.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
If my black cat had thumbs we'd all be dead. He's already figured out how to open the ziplock seal on the food bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

And a five year old male originally named Blacky... We went ahead and changed his name. Meet Poe:

These cats are so unbelievably well behaved. I thought we were gonna have a few challenging nights with these guys, but they've been right at home since day one.

Get adult cats. Adult cats are loving awesome.

My best friend has a cat named Poe that looks identical to yours (except for being orange). Same expression, same floof. Weird.