Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I stopped buying the softcover trades of Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF after the first six or seven volumes so that I could read the whole thing in the omnibus but I just checked Amazon and discovered that it doesn't collect everything and that a volume 2 is coming at some point. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Hippo posted:

I stopped buying the softcover trades of Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF after the first six or seven volumes so that I could read the whole thing in the omnibus but I just checked Amazon and discovered that it doesn't collect everything and that a volume 2 is coming at some point. :smith:
It's a pretty long run, dude. (edit: 60 issues, I think? The gigantic loving ASM omnibus doesn't even have that many.)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 18, 2013

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Happy Hippo posted:

Yeah but it includes the Dark Reign: FF stuff, and it's printed in reading order too. I'm the same, I bought 5 or 6 of the HCs, but only read 1 of them because I saw the omnibus was on the way.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

redbackground posted:

It's a pretty long run, dude. (edit: 60 issues, I think? The gigantic loving ASM omnibus doesn't even have that many.)

Yeah, I put that together after I noticed the "Volume 1" in the title. Still disappointing.

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah but it includes the Dark Reign: FF stuff, and it's printed in reading order too. I'm the same, I bought 5 or 6 of the HCs, but only read 1 of them because I saw the omnibus was on the way.

And that's the selling point for me, I think. The very thought of reading one issue in a trade, then another issue in another trade, and so on, really rubs me the wrong way.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Happy Hippo posted:

Yeah, I put that together after I noticed the "Volume 1" in the title. Still disappointing.

What's disappointing, not getting a $200 1800 page Omnibus?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Glenn Danzig posted:

What's disappointing, not getting a $200 1800 page Omnibus?

Also one which spine would not be able to hold the thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also one which spine would not be able to hold the thing.

It's the Fantastic Four, obviously the book would be made out of unstable molecules.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Is anyone planning on buying the Iron Man "Epic Collection"? I'm really curious to see how these books turn out. People have been wanting colored Essentials books for a long time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

Is anyone planning on buying the Iron Man "Epic Collection"? I'm really curious to see how these books turn out. People have been wanting colored Essentials books for a long time.

They did have them sort of with the premire hardcovers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is DC less fastidious with their collected editions? I'm quite keen to read the Shazam series Jerry Ordway did in the late-1990s but it doesn't seem to have been collected beyond the original graphic novel. Same deal with the post-Zero Hour Legion Of Super-Heroes.

I've also seen that there's going to be a big JSA hardcover collection, but from what I can see it's meant to be "JSA by Geoff Johns", so does that mean they're going to leave out the first story arc that James Robinson wrote? Seems a bit of a bad move to me, since that arc remains pretty important for the rest of the series; it'd be better suited for the deluxe hardcovers JLA is getting. I mean, sure you can get the TPB (assuming it's still in print) but surely it would make better sense to keep the whole thing together.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Is DC less fastidious with their collected editions? I'm quite keen to read the Shazam series Jerry Ordway did in the late-1990s but it doesn't seem to have been collected beyond the original graphic novel. Same deal with the post-Zero Hour Legion Of Super-Heroes.

I've also seen that there's going to be a big JSA hardcover collection, but from what I can see it's meant to be "JSA by Geoff Johns", so does that mean they're going to leave out the first story arc that James Robinson wrote? Seems a bit of a bad move to me, since that arc remains pretty important for the rest of the series; it'd be better suited for the deluxe hardcovers JLA is getting. I mean, sure you can get the TPB (assuming it's still in print) but surely it would make better sense to keep the whole thing together.

I used to say that DC's trade department is run by retarded apes, but that is mean to retarded apes. DC trade departments makes no sense and its as awful as Marvel's is good. You know how Marvel will release the trade a month or two after the arc ends? DC waits until the next storyline is over and the following one is halfway done. Also yes the JSA omnibus will not have the storyline that sets up most of the fist year storylines. ALSO FINISH SHADE YOU FUCKS!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems to me that most of the New 52 stuff has been collected so far, but I'm afraid I'm not really interested in any of that.

Looking at the Wikipedia lists of collected editions for major books like Superman, Green Lantern and the Flash, there's a good bit of stuff (especially in the last ten years) but before that there's a lot of pretty big gaps.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

It seems to me that most of the New 52 stuff has been collected so far, but I'm afraid I'm not really interested in any of that.

Looking at the Wikipedia lists of collected editions for major books like Superman, Green Lantern and the Flash, there's a good bit of stuff (especially in the last ten years) but before that there's a lot of pretty big gaps.

Take for example Wonder Woman since its awesome. They just released the third collection. However, and entire arc has already happened so in order to catch up you have to find all those back issues. In the case of Marvel you can easily find the trade within a couple of months of the arc ending. As for the pre 52 stuff a bunch of the good stuck is out of print so have fun finding it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You'd think with how much the guys in charge at DC like their Silver Age there'd be more of that out.

It must be a sinister scheme from editorial to trick people into thinking there was no DC before the New 52. :tinfoil:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

You'd think with how much the guys in charge at DC like their Silver Age there'd be more of that out.

It must be a sinister scheme from editorial to trick people into thinking there was no DC before the New 52. :tinfoil:

No it is just there trade department really really sucks.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
For the New 52 they only release one trade or hardcover a year for a series. Unless they change that they will continue to fall farther and farther behind until you have years between when stuff comes out and when it's collected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

No it is just there trade department really really sucks.

Well, surely the company must employ somebody whose job it is to worry over all the money they might be losing out on.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
They make up for it by publishing things like the New 52 Omnibus. First issue of 52 different, unconnected series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, surely the company must employ somebody whose job it is to worry over all the money they might be losing out on.

This is DC comics we are talking about

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StumblyWumbly posted:

They make up for it by publishing things like the New 52 Omnibus. First issue of 52 different, unconnected series.

Now, to be fair, Marvel did that as well with the Marvel NOW! Omnibus.

Actually, to be even fairer, I appreciate that things go out of print and there just isn't a demand for new releases (I'd be dead keen on having a look at the New Mutants Classic books but the first one's run out and goes for silly prices now), but at least Marvel seems to do a better job of getting stuff collected to go out of print.

If I could go back to my earlier post for a moment:

Metal Loaf posted:

I've just had a look at the issues included in the JLA deluxe editions; do they only include the issues written by Grant Morrison? That's a bit rubbish, because I quite liked the Waid stories in between. Maybe they'll be collected retroactively (ie. in Vol. 5, which will have to start with "Tower Of Babel").

I'm looking at the Chris Claremont/Jim Lee omnibus on my shelf and, even though his name isn't on the front cover, there's a lot of Marc Silvestri in the book, but it's included anyway. I can understand dropping fill-in issues (I'd say a three to five issue story arc goes beyond being a fill-in and becomes a mini-run in its own right sandwiched between the larger one), but yikes.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 21, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel at least has a significant portion of their back catalog available in digital form, both as single issues and in the Digital Comics Universe. (Still laughing that Marvel named their digital comics initiative DCU.)

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Answering my own question, I took a glance at a copy at the store today. It really is just a colored Essential book. 20+ issues on semi-glossy paper. No numbers on the spine either, but it does say Volume 10 of the Iron Man series on the back of the book, which is a nice touch for the spergs. I don't really care for Iron Man that much but I can see myself getting Spider-Man or F4 collections down the road. I guess the problem I have with this line is that much of what they are releasing first has never been reprinted for a reason.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Arriving in today's post:

Hurrah!

BUT!

SO...

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I just got my copy of the Fantagraphics Usagi Yojimbo box set and drat it is a nice book. I wish Darkhorse would put library editions of Usagi out. Digest sized TPBs don't do comics justice. Even if they put out something like the BPRD hardcovers... Is Usagi just not that big of a seller?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

sporklift posted:

I just got my copy of the Fantagraphics Usagi Yojimbo box set and drat it is a nice book. I wish Darkhorse would put library editions of Usagi out. Digest sized TPBs don't do comics justice. Even if they put out something like the BPRD hardcovers... Is Usagi just not that big of a seller?

I'm pretty sure there was a two volume hardcover set a few years ago. Or is that what you're referring to?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

TheManWithNoName posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a two volume hardcover set a few years ago. Or is that what you're referring to?

Yeah. It collected the Fantagraphics run. There are about 20 more Dark Horse trades after that need to be made bigger and better. Two or three per hardcover with all of the covers.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Speaking of Dark Horse trades, are their Aliens omniboo worth a drat? They're super cheap and I know at least some of those comics kick insane rear end but I've seen some worrying reviews saying the pages fall out a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We stopped ordering the DH digets omnibus books completely because half the time they show up with chunks of pages falling out. They're a terrible product. IDW releases an identical format with no quality issues. DH is slowly becoming the worst at making trades.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Hickman FF Omnibus is out and it's super slim.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The Hickman FF Omnibus is out and it's super slim.
Glamour shots, please.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That is nice. I can't wait for Amazon to get me mine. In two weeks. Hopefully I'll have a paycheck again by then!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Beautiful. Thanks.

How nice is the new Steranko Nick Fury collection?

Rhyno posted:

Sorry that first pic is fuzzy, didn't notice it until I put it on imgur.
We'll need your desk cleaned out by the end of the day.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 2, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry that first pic is fuzzy, didn't notice it until I put it on imgur.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Do you say it's slim because of low paper weight or thin covers, or just compared to things like Simonson's Thor?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Chompers posted:

Do you say it's slim because of low paper weight or thin covers, or just compared to things like Simonson's Thor?

The last few Omni's I've bought have been huge so yeah, this is tiny in comparison.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Compared to USM, how readable is it? Do you still need your pedestal to read it or could you conceivably actually hold it up like a normal book?

I mean, poo poo, I'm buying that bad boy regardless, I just wanna know if I can take it camping without killing myself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LordPants posted:

Compared to USM, how readable is it? Do you still need your pedestal to read it or could you conceivably actually hold it up like a normal book?

I mean, poo poo, I'm buying that bad boy regardless, I just wanna know if I can take it camping without killing myself.

Very readable. I'll do a side-by-side when I get home.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

We stopped ordering the DH digets omnibus books completely because half the time they show up with chunks of pages falling out. They're a terrible product. IDW releases an identical format with no quality issues. DH is slowly becoming the worst at making trades.

This surprises me because the Hellboy stuff is done really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently got my copy of the UXM Vol. 1 omnibus reprint in the post; it looks like it's roughly the same size as that, judging from the picture (maybe a little bigger).