Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The Continental ContiAttack SM are pretty great, designed specifically for supermoto and reasonably priced to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I have the avon distanzias and they're quite good on the road and provide at least some amount of performance beyond a PP offroad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epalm posted:

Holy crap I didn't see this thread. Cross posting from the Questions thread.

I'm buying a drz400sm :haw: and I'm preeeeeetty excited :toot:

It needs new tires. I know nothing about tires. I'm not riding any dirt at all, so is there a default sticky street tire I can go for? Tubes, or tubeless?

:ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

First off congrats and welcome to the awesome dude club.

Secondly regular pilot powers stick great with the drz. You'll need tubes, and the drz will fit a 160 rear pilot power.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ReelBigLizard posted:

The Continental ContiAttack are reasonably priced.

I disagree. They were balls expensive the last time I went tire shopping

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Crossposting from the DC thread:

A bunch of 12 O'Clock Boys wannabes tore through my neighborhood couple nights back. I was coming home after a quick lap around the city when I passed a half dozen cops circled around an ATV and a kid on the ground at the Hess station at Florida and Rhode Island. Didn't think too much of it but when I got home my roommates said a whole bunch of them were blasting up and down our street, riding on the sidewalks, etc. I'm probably lucky I didn't get chased by the cops when I rode past them.

Edit: A correction thanks to hot sauce in the other thread, those were the infamous DC Wheelie and/or Glory Boyz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPgk4s81zo8

ought ten fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 25, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:stare: Did anyone else notice the guy wheely-ing around the loving corner at 2:39 like it was no big deal.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

Niven posted:

What's the general consensus on the 640 supermoto? I've always lusted after the 690 but the chances of stumbling across one used are essentially nil here (east coast canada).
I saw an '07 SXV a few months ago but was promptly scared away by the maintenance intervals..

Coming from a DRZ would this be much of an upgrade? How are they reliability wise? I have a car and a second bike so a shorter and more involved maintenance schedule wouldn`t be a deal breaker, but I certainly don`t want to stray into "measured in hours" territory..

The bike in question

I've owned one for almost six months now, and compared to the FCR-equipped DRZ I've ridden it's definitely quicker. But even though it's not much heavier, it feels a lot bigger, and with the stock carb the throttle response is a bit sluggish. And oh my does the engine vibrate, I've gotten used to it now, but it is so bad it blurs out almost everything in the mirrors. As KozmoNaut pointed out, oil change intervals are pretty generous, but the procedure involves bleeding the system, which is kind of a hassle.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

epalm posted:

I'm buying a drz400sm :haw: and I'm preeeeeetty excited :toot:

Owned a GS500 for 1 year.
Owned a V-Strom 650 for 1 year.
Just bought a DRZ400sm.

Initial reaction, in summary: Holy poo poo

Initial reaction, in detail:
  • No windshield, constant stream of wind is kinda nice, holds me up, no helmet buffeting
  • This also causes a lot of unwanted airflow in my helmet (Canada, the air here is frozen)
  • Disc brakes on a 300 pound bike are extremely effective
  • Putting weight on pegs is easy and feels good
  • The dash display is low and mostly out of sight
  • Tried to shift into "6th" twice on the same stretch of highway
  • Highway riding is not impossible, but not sustainable (mostly due to the wind)
  • Acceleration from 0 feels like it did the first time I rode a motorcycle, ie amazing

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ought ten posted:

Crossposting from the DC thread:

A bunch of 12 O'Clock Boys wannabes tore through my neighborhood couple nights back. I was coming home after a quick lap around the city when I passed a half dozen cops circled around an ATV and a kid on the ground at the Hess station at Florida and Rhode Island. Didn't think too much of it but when I got home my roommates said a whole bunch of them were blasting up and down our street, riding on the sidewalks, etc. I'm probably lucky I didn't get chased by the cops when I rode past them.

Edit: A correction thanks to hot sauce in the other thread, those were the infamous DC Wheelie and/or Glory Boyz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPgk4s81zo8

Goddamn DC hiphop is horrible

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

epalm posted:

Owned a GS500 for 1 year.
Owned a V-Strom 650 for 1 year.
Just bought a DRZ400sm.

Initial reaction, in summary: Holy poo poo

Initial reaction, in detail:
  • No windshield, constant stream of wind is kinda nice, holds me up, no helmet buffeting
  • This also causes a lot of unwanted airflow in my helmet (Canada, the air here is frozen)
  • Disc brakes on a 300 pound bike are extremely effective
  • Putting weight on pegs is easy and feels good
  • The dash display is low and mostly out of sight
  • Tried to shift into "6th" twice on the same stretch of highway
  • Highway riding is not impossible, but not sustainable (mostly due to the wind)
  • Acceleration from 0 feels like it did the first time I rode a motorcycle, ie amazing

Heh, I always thought the brakes were just adequate. And I had an EBC big rotor kit and HH pads with fresh fluid. They were scary before the HH pad install, coming from a 400 pound bike with twin discs.

The acceleration was fun until I realized I was in 5th gear at 35 mph and that's all. I did love that I could thrash it through all the gears though, the 675 will have me arrested in second so by necessity I short shift and that isn't as fun. The DRZ is definitely a FUN bike and I miss it.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

wallaka posted:

The acceleration was fun until I realized I was in 5th gear at 35 mph and that's all. I did love that I could thrash it through all the gears though, the 675 will have me arrested in second so by necessity I short shift and that isn't as fun. The DRZ is definitely a FUN bike and I miss it.

Seems to me, on the street I would rather ride a slow bike fast, rather than riding a fast bike slow (until the inevitable "gently caress it" leading to jailtime level speeds).

epswing fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 26, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

epalm posted:

Seems to me, on the street I would rather ride a slow bike fast, rather than riding a fast bike slow (until the inevitable "gently caress it" leading to jailtime level speeds).

Yes but soon you're going to have to ponder this conundrum about sidewalks, stairs, loading docks, curbs and the occasional emergency escape grass route. What then?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

epalm posted:

That was kind of my point. I had mine geared to top out at 82 mph, just enough for highway use.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Since I inspected the bike thoroughly yesterday, and took it for a 10 minute test ride, I figured it would be fine to just ride it home (15 km). So everything is going fine, until 3/4 of the way home, the bike lurches, engine dies a little, then lurches back to life, throttle input is shaky, engine finally dies and I coast to a stop. Several thoughts flew through my head, including "I can't believe I just paid hard earned cash for a bike with Problems (tm)" and "how could the PO let me ride it home if he KNEW something was wrong with it" and "how far am I going to have to push this thing, at least it's not too heavy". Starts right back up, I cautiously resume, engine dies again within a couple kilometers. This time it only starts if I give it some choke. Engine dies at the smallest bit of throttle.

Finally I realize I'm out of gas :haw:

At this point I'm pretty much home, so I just push it into the parking garage, fill up my little red can at the nearest gas station, and we're back in business :v:

Coredump posted:

Yes but soon you're going to have to ponder this conundrum about sidewalks, stairs, loading docks, curbs and the occasional emergency escape grass route. What then?

I don't know :ohdear: what did you do?

wallaka posted:

That was kind of my point. I had mine geared to top out at 82 mph, just enough for highway use.

Just echoing and agreeing with your sentiments, friend.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

doppler posted:

As KozmoNaut pointed out, oil change intervals are pretty generous, but the procedure involves bleeding the system, which is kind of a hassle.

It's not too bad, even if it's a dry sump?

If it's anything like my XT, you warm up the engine, open the filler cap, drain from all of the drain holes (2-3 depending on bike) and put the drain bolts back in.

Then you fill it with roughly half the total oil needed, start the bike, rev the engine 4-5 times, shut it off and put in the rest of the oil.

Sure, it's a bit more involved than on a normal wet sump engine, but it's not that hard. Just make sure to get the factory service manual. There are a couple of sites that have them as PDFs, but I guess they're :filez:, so I can't link them.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Do a search for "lc4 oil burping" and rejoice at the funfilled adventures that awaits!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Do a search for "lc4 oil burping" and rejoice at the funfilled adventures that awaits!

On my 625, you fill the crank case with something like a liter and then put 700 ml in the frame down tube. Start the engine, and in about 20 seconds oil will begin to seep out of the frame fill point. You screw in the plug, shut down the engine and torque it down.

Look up Creeper's how-to's on AdvRider. It is tedious, but not hard.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

epalm posted:

Since I inspected the bike thoroughly yesterday, and took it for a 10 minute test ride, I figured it would be fine to just ride it home (15 km). So everything is going fine, until 3/4 of the way home, the bike lurches, engine dies a little, then lurches back to life, throttle input is shaky, engine finally dies and I coast to a stop. Several thoughts flew through my head, including "I can't believe I just paid hard earned cash for a bike with Problems (tm)" and "how could the PO let me ride it home if he KNEW something was wrong with it" and "how far am I going to have to push this thing, at least it's not too heavy". Starts right back up, I cautiously resume, engine dies again within a couple kilometers. This time it only starts if I give it some choke. Engine dies at the smallest bit of throttle.

Finally I realize I'm out of gas :haw:

At this point I'm pretty much home, so I just push it into the parking garage, fill up my little red can at the nearest gas station, and we're back in business :v:

Just echoing and agreeing with your sentiments, friend.

Don't forget that unlike FI bikes there's a reserve. Turn the fuel petcock to the opposite side of where it normally operates to get to it. Note this only applies on stock tanks. I think it's about .4 gallons but don't quote me there.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Snowdens Secret posted:

Those are fightin words

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

JP Money posted:

Don't forget that unlike FI bikes there's a reserve. Turn the fuel petcock to the opposite side of where it normally operates to get to it. Note this only applies on stock tanks. I think it's about .4 gallons but don't quote me there.

Yeah you'd think a year on a GS500 (carbed with reserve) would have triggered the lightbulb. Nope. :v:

(I was too :haw: to think straight at the time.)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

epalm posted:

Yeah you'd think a year on a GS500 (carbed with reserve) would have triggered the lightbulb. Nope. :v:

(I was too :haw: to think straight at the time.)

No worries, get real comfortable with that otherwise you won't get too far :p I think I get around 40mpg around town on my DRZ so at around 80 miles it'll cut out and I'll switch to the reserve for another few miles until I get gas.

I didn't really like the way my Clarke 3.9 gallon tank looked on the DRZ but I kind of miss it now :( Having that extra gas made a huge difference but it unfortunately had no reserve and made the choke kind of a pain to use. It was good for like 180 miles though so I filled up maybe once a month or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oversize tanks are nice, but agreed, they're super ugly. My DRZ will go 80-85 miles before reserve. Reserve will take you another 10-15 at least.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

epalm posted:

Shoot I just have an SV650 so I'm not faced with such dilemmas. I'm just in here to live vicariously through others.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oversize tanks are nice, but agreed, they're super ugly. My DRZ will go 80-85 miles before reserve. Reserve will take you another 10-15 at least.

with -3 teeth on back sprocket I time I always hit reserve at 100 miles. Convenient. :shobon:
My Average MPG is 52 with lowest and highest being 46 and 61.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Why don't your oversized tanks have a reserve? My Clarke uses the original petcock.

230 miles on my drz, then at least 10 or so on reserve. More if I lean the bike way over and slosh some fuel out of the tank "wing" that hangs over on the right.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

eddiewalker posted:

Why don't your oversized tanks have a reserve? My Clarke uses the original petcock.

230 miles on my drz, then at least 10 or so on reserve. More if I lean the bike way over and slosh some fuel out of the tank "wing" that hangs over on the right.

Iirc, the clarke petcock location fouls on the choke for the carb. I liked the IMS because it looked more stock but also because you could still get up on the tank with it...the clarke makes am aggressive upward slope to the front of the tank.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Don't know, maybe there was a revision at some point?

The second choke detent kind of brushes the inside of the tank wing, but it still engages fine, and I never use the second chock notch more than a few seconds anyway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah it's been while since I've been on a DRZ, haha. Maybe the ims fouled on the chokw? I just remember one of those 2 was a complete pain in the rear end to get to the choke on.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's why our real city anthem is gogo music :parrot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsPsXLFIBGg

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

On mine it was pretty easy to just bend that part of the tank out if you really needed to get to full choke. Half was no problem. I have no idea how an FCR interacts with the oversized tanks since my original DRZ was stock in that regard though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epalm posted:

You find out how deep the rabbit hole goes

*youtube dubstep supermoto videooooooooo*

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Is there a trick to telling a late AP squirt from an early one? Obviously they both produce a bog for different reasons, and I guess I could start way late and make it sooner and sooner until it starts running bad and back it off again.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have 2 probably retarded DRZ questions. I also probably lack the vocabulary required to properly express myself. I have not acquired the DRZ shop manual yet (I have a 2006). I'm attempting to adjust the chain.

1. After removing the cotter pin and loosening the axle nut, I can wiggle the back wheel a little to either side. The axle bolt (or just "the axle"?) goes through a movable rectangular-looking thing that I will refer to as The Thing. To adjust the chain slack, do I need to remove the axle nut and bolt (won't the tire come off?) and slide The Thing all the way back and out, so I can access the bolt "X" coming out of the swingarm?

(Not my bike.)

2. After eyeballing The Thing for a couple minutes and deciding to ask online, I re-tightened the axle nut to 72.5 lb-ft. At this spot in its rotation, the holes don't line up for cotter pin insertion, and I had to loosen the axle nut about 1/8 of a turn to make it fit. What up with that?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Loosen the axle nut then turn the adjuster bolt with a wrench to push the axle blocks back. Don't over tighten the chain, the distance between the axle and the front sprocket changes through the wheel travel, so you have to leave some slack.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epalm posted:

I have 2 probably retarded DRZ questions. I also probably lack the vocabulary required to properly express myself. I have not acquired the DRZ shop manual yet (I have a 2006). I'm attempting to adjust the chain.

1. After removing the cotter pin and loosening the axle nut, I can wiggle the back wheel a little to either side. The axle bolt (or just "the axle"?) goes through a movable rectangular-looking thing that I will refer to as The Thing. To adjust the chain slack, do I need to remove the axle nut and bolt (won't the tire come off?) and slide The Thing all the way back and out, so I can access the bolt "X" coming out of the swingarm?

(Not my bike.)

2. After eyeballing The Thing for a couple minutes and deciding to ask online, I re-tightened the axle nut to 72.5 lb-ft. At this spot in its rotation, the holes don't line up for cotter pin insertion, and I had to loosen the axle nut about 1/8 of a turn to make it fit. What up with that?

You loosen the large nut and axle only so the wheel can move back and forth. All adjusting is done with the bolts you have labeled X on that image.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

epalm posted:

Things don't always line up. Just torque it to spec, then tighten it just enough further that the cotter pin will fit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I will handle the glossary on this one. Sup.

epalm posted:

The axle bolt (or just "the axle"?)
Either one.

quote:

goes through a movable rectangular-looking thing that I will refer to as The Thing.
Depending on manufacturer, these will be called an adjuster plate or adjuster block or something like that.

quote:

the bolt "X" coming out of the swingarm?
Adjuster bolt.

Boom.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thanks all, you guys are champs :allears:

It looks like the adjuster bolt has a nut on one side (closer to the adjuster plate), and another on the other side (closer to the engine). I guess I'll just try turning both (harder) and see which one gives. Neither was giving yesterday.

The other issue I had was actually turning the adjuster bolt. Once you've got the teeth of the wrench in place, the wrench only has a tiny little bit of turn in either direction. Maybe I'm using the wrong tool.

epswing fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 1, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The side of the adjuster bolt close to the plate is the head of the bolt, this is the part that actually threads in and out of the swingarm to adjust your wheel. The other one, facing the engine is a nut, this serves only to hold the adjuster bolt in place when you're done adjusting. Loosen the nut and the main bolt will turn, allowing you to adjust the plates (and the wheel with them). The adjuster bolt only needs tiny turns to make a big difference in wheel position. Generally, most adjustments will only require slight movement of the adjuster bolt

The general steps should go like this (some of these you have already done):

1) Cotter pin out
2) Loosen axle nut
3) Loosen adjuster bolt nuts (engine-side)
4) Move adjuster bolts so your wheel is straight and your chain is at proper tension.
5) Tighten axle nut, not full torque, just enough to hold it in place.
6) Double check wheel positioning, if its good, continue, if not, loosen the axle nut and readjust wheel, then go back to step 5
7) Tighten adjuster bolts slightly against adjuster plates
8) Tighten adjuster bolt nuts
9) Tighten axle nut to torque specs
10) Cotter pin in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
UGH, thank you. So simple.

• Locked thread