Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's probably just location testing for the new P4A revision since it lists cities.

It's a bit weird because it's a totally different site from the Ultimax site and it doesn't have Arc's logo anywhere. But that's definitely a possibility. I have an inkling that it won't be what people want it to be (P5).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

I would hesitate to attach the word "strategy" to any fire emblem title, but this one most of all. you should play it if you really enjoy seeing your numbers go up and critical attack chances.

I jumped straight into FE:A on Hard Classic and it makes the early game pretty engaging. I assume that I'll reach the point where I stride worlds and destroy everything, but that sure isn't happening right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stelas posted:

I jumped straight into FE:A on Hard Classic and it makes the early game pretty engaging. I assume that I'll reach the point where I stride worlds and destroy everything, but that sure isn't happening right now.
Well, if you never grind and you're on hard mode, it's less that and more that the map design completely falls apart at the tail end of FE13. It's not enough to ruin the game, but fair warning.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like jRPGs but don't keep up with them. Hopefully someone can tell me if I've let the game of my dreams slip under the radar. If you guys know of any game, past or present, that fits these criteria please let me know. I only have a PC and a Wii but I'd still really appreciate a recommendation regardless of system.

What I want:

- Plot like FF Tactics. This is the make or break trait I'm looking for. Conflicted characters, moral ambiguity, class conflict and power grabs by about a dozen different factions. I can't do the game justice but if you've played it you know what I mean. But it doesn't need to be a medieval political struggle. I'm after the depth and subtlety, not necessarily Game of Thrones: jRPG edition.

I don't want to come across as negative to jRPGs but what I'm NOT looking for is writing that feels like it belongs in a novel aimed at 12 year olds. I enjoy plenty of games that have this problem but I'm here asking if there's a game that rises beyond the mediocre average for jRPG writing.

- "Traditional" battle system. Also a big deal. Think the snes FF games, Super Mario Rpg, Breath of Fire III.

- Sprites. Not a big deal but I prefer them, especially over the PS1 era polygons/cinematics.

What I don't want

- Complicated battle system. Think Resonance of Fate, Persona 3. So basically either "tactical" rpgs or ones that involve managing tons of stats and hybrid traits to build an S class whatever. I know that's a bad description so to use an example I didn't finish Persona 3 because I got sick of managing and upgrading the various Persona. If it's got an advancement scheme more complicated than FF Tactics I'm probably not going to like it.

I loved the job system of Tactics but I'm don't want a tactical game with flanking and grids and all that. So nothing like FF Tactics, Ogre Battle, Shining Force.

To further illustrate things here's what I thought of some classic jRPGs

- Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire III, FF 9 - Good battle system. Setting was good but the actual narrative was a little juvenile/middle school. Like I was reading a Young Adult book.
- FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Resonance of Fate- Opposite problem. Great writing but a chore of a battle system. Couldn't finish Vagrant Story. And with Resonance of Fate I wouldn't say it was great writing so much as a fascinating setting with gorgeous graphics and quality voice work. I can't say how the game develops in it's plot though because I gave up on the battle system.

TLDR Any games that play like snes FF games but have the plot of FF Tactics?

Thanks in advance guys. Like I said I don't keep up with jRPGs so threads like this are where I go to see what's happened in the last, oh, ten years.

Fake Edit-Oh I have a more specific question! So the same guy who did FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Tactics Ogre wrote SOME of FF 12? Is that what I'm looking for? The wikipedia entry paints enticing broad strokes but it's all in the execution.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 26, 2013

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Suikoden II or Exit Fate. Actually, gently caress it. Play them both. Exit Fate is heavily inspired by Suikoden II, so I'd suggest you play that first.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I like jRPGs but don't keep up with them. Hopefully someone can tell me if I've let the game of my dreams slip under the radar. If you guys know of any game, past or present, that fits these criteria please let me know. I only have a PC and a Wii but I'd still really appreciate a recommendation regardless of system.

What I want:

- Plot like FF Tactics. This is the make or break trait I'm looking for. Conflicted characters, moral ambiguity, class conflict and power grabs by about a dozen different factions. I can't do the game justice but if you've played it you know what I mean. But it doesn't need to be a medieval political struggle. I'm after the depth and subtlety, not necessarily Game of Thrones: jRPG edition.

I don't want to come across as negative to jRPGs but what I'm NOT looking for is writing that feels like it belongs in a novel aimed at 12 year olds. I enjoy plenty of games that have this problem but I'm here asking if there's a game that rises beyond the mediocre average for jRPG writing.

- "Traditional" battle system. Also a big deal. Think the snes FF games, Super Mario Rpg, Breath of Fire III.

- Sprites. Not a big deal but I prefer them, especially over the PS1 era polygons/cinematics.

What I don't want

- Complicated battle system. Think Resonance of Fate, Persona 3. So basically either "tactical" rpgs or ones that involve managing tons of stats and hybrid traits to build an S class whatever. I know that's a bad description so to use an example I didn't finish Persona 3 because I got sick of managing and upgrading the various Persona. If it's got an advancement scheme more complicated than FF Tactics I'm probably not going to like it.

I loved the job system of Tactics but I'm don't want a tactical game with flanking and grids and all that. So nothing like FF Tactics, Ogre Battle, Shining Force.

To further illustrate things here's what I thought of some classic jRPGs

- Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire III, FF 9 - Good battle system. Setting was good but the actual narrative was a little juvenile/middle school. Like I was reading a Young Adult book.
- FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Resonance of Fate- Opposite problem. Great writing but a chore of a battle system. Couldn't finish Vagrant Story. And with Resonance of Fate I wouldn't say it was great writing so much as a fascinating setting with gorgeous graphics and quality voice work. I can't say how the game develops in it's plot though because I gave up on the battle system.

TLDR Any games that play like snes FF games but have the plot of FF Tactics?

Thanks in advance guys. Like I said I don't keep up with jRPGs so threads like this are where I go to see what's happened in the last, oh, ten years.

Fake Edit-Oh I have a more specific question! So the same guy who did FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Tactics Ogre wrote SOME of FF 12? Is that what I'm looking for? The wikipedia entry paints enticing broad strokes but it's all in the execution.

If you have a DS, I think Radiant Historia might work for you. The plot isn't quite so Game of Thrones, but it's pretty solid and the battle system is a simple but rewarding one based on manipulating the positions of enemies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Emphasis on some. He got fired halfway through and it shows, the plot's pretty disjointed and pretty much goes away from the political stuff about 3/4ths of the way through. It still might be worth a look but don't go in excepting it to end with 'What did you get, Vaan?"

Dec 26, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

I would hesitate to attach the word "strategy" to any fire emblem title, but this one most of all. you should play it if you really enjoy seeing your numbers go up and critical attack chances.

I disagree with the general sentiment but I would say that FE:A has worlds more hype and praise than it really deserves. I didn't hate it or anything but I don't think I'd ever replay it, which is less than I would say for any other FE from the SNES forward.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Etrian Odyssey 4 is $20 on Amazon US right now. Only posting because I'm sad I don't have an extra $20...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Machine posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4 is $20 on Amazon US right now. Only posting because I'm sad I don't have an extra $20...

I would hold off on purchasing this, as the...extension(?), EO4: The Millenium Girl comes out on the 1st of October, and is basically Etrian Odyssey 4 Plus, with a new story mode, new character customization options, and so forth (but also Classic mode if that's your thing)

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I would hold off on purchasing this, as the...extension(?), EO4: The Millenium Girl comes out on the 1st of October, and is basically Etrian Odyssey 4 Plus, with a new story mode, new character customization options, and so forth (but also Classic mode if that's your thing)

No, Millenium Girl is a remake of EO1. It's not really the same game at all.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Millenium Girl is a remake of EO1, none of the EO4 content is in it. Uses the same engine and updated graphics and such though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Millenium Girl is a remake of EO1, none of the EO4 content is in it. Uses the same engine and updated graphics and such though.

I have been extremely misled. Or am a lazy reader, that's more likely.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I'm wondering: are there any other action RPGs kind of like the first Fable? I really enjoyed the quick combat system and developing my character through the game, along with it not taking itself deathly serious.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Sionak posted:

I'm wondering: are there any other action RPGs kind of like the first Fable? I really enjoyed the quick combat system and developing my character through the game, along with it not taking itself deathly serious.

Kingdoms of Amalur had a comparable fighting system & style but after awhile the whole thing just gets deathly boring.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Saint's Row! =)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur had a comparable fighting system & style but after awhile the whole thing just gets deathly boring.

Yeah comparable fighting system and yes god is it boring. It's not even remotely difficult and the story is really, really forgettable.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sloober posted:

Yeah comparable fighting system and yes god is it boring. It's not even remotely difficult and the story is really, really forgettable.

Fable to a tee!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Fable to a tee!
Fable wasn't ridiculously cluttered with quests, herbs, mining deposits, collectibles, and respawning piles of laughably easy enemies, though.

Amalur feels like a stylized WoW, without any balance. Or players. Or plot.

And the NPC interaction scenes are so badly done that they're kind of embarassing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Fable to a tee!

No way! I totally remember fighting the, uh...the evil guy in Fable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Fable wasn't ridiculously cluttered with quests, herbs, mining deposits, collectibles, and respawning piles of laughably easy enemies, though.

And the NPC interaction scenes are so badly done that they're kind of embarassing.

... I don't know, that sounds mostly like Fable to me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

I think having heaps of meaningless junk is basically the reason I was able to play Amalur for however many hours. I think it's kind of a poor game by most metrics but it was nice to zone out and listen to podcasts and mindlessly do stuff for a while.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ImpAtom posted:

... I don't know, that sounds mostly like Fable to me.
Fable is actually fun for a while. Amalur starts to feel like a chore about as soon as you are done with the tutorial.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sionak posted:

Well, there's always Fable 2 and 3. (2 is the best of them.)

It's not an RPG, but the Batman: Arkham games have similar combat to Fable.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Ha, Saint's Row is a great suggestion, but I already played through 3 and 4. I could give Arkham Asylum a go, picked it up in a Steam sale a while back.

I tried the demo of Amalur, and it would not work. It didn't look that appealing to me, though. I checked an online article that claimed to have some Fable-like games, and it mentioned Two Worlds II - another game I recall getting mixed reviews when it came out. Has anyone played that?

Of course, it also mentioned Skyrim and Dragon's Age as similar games, which I don't agree with at all..

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sionak posted:

I tried the demo of Amalur, and it would not work. It didn't look that appealing to me, though. I checked an online article that claimed to have some Fable-like games, and it mentioned Two Worlds II - another game I recall getting mixed reviews when it came out. Has anyone played that?

Two Worlds II has floaty combat and is ridiculously retarded in a lot of ways but there's something about it that makes it fun enough to keep playing. Definitely buy the GOG version though; the Steam/Retail versions have atrocious DRM.

If you want something actually good and a bit more involved, play Gothic 1/2/Risen.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardiovorax posted:

Fable is actually fun for a while. Amalur starts to feel like a chore about as soon as you are done with the tutorial.
This is really well put, because it's exactly how I felt. I got out of the tutorial, talked to some dwarf/gnome that looked identical to a gnome from WOW, and then noticed that my minimap was just covered in little blips for different resources and poo poo to where it was overwhelming.

The conversation system felt surprisingly dated, like something you'd expect from a Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance style clone or a poorly implemented D&D style game (seriously, Baldur's gate did it better than Amalur.) It's hard for me to describe from memory but they just managed to bring the worst parts of all conversation systems together at once, and then make it feel like you weren't actually involved in the conversation as well.

I pre-ordered Amalur and ended up trading it back in after like 4 or 5 hours of play tops, there was just nothing that felt engaging, I felt kind of vaguely overpowered and didn't know or care what was going on. I don't think I've ever bought a game and gotten it physically away from myself that fast before or since (and I really don't like Fable, although 2 was okay when I got it for free from xbox live).

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 4, 2018

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What's the appeal of Saints Row? I bought the third game dirt cheap but have not even installed it. I thought it was just a directo competitor for a GTA style game, and not an RPG at all..?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Sionak posted:

Venetica is a fairly close in design, not great but close.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 4, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

What's the appeal of Saints Row? I bought the third game dirt cheap but have not even installed it. I thought it was just a directo competitor for a GTA style game, and not an RPG at all..?

Saints Row is like GTA but insanely over-the-top in every way. It was really cartoonishly ridiculous in SR2 and then they took that to an extreme in SR3 and blew it through the roof in SR4 where you're literally a superpower wielding superhuman soaring through the skies.

They aren't RPGs but like every single other action game made these days there is character upgrading in various forms.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Saints Row is like GTA but insanely over-the-top in every way. It was really cartoonishly ridiculous in SR2 and then they took that to an extreme in SR3 and blew it through the roof in SR4 where you're literally a superpower wielding superhuman soaring through the skies.

They aren't RPGs but like every single other action game made these days there is character upgrading in various forms.
This. They're really fun games, albeit with a juvenile sense of poop humor, but if that's your thing (it's certainly mine), they're gold. Plus, being a game with a baseline that starts at utterly absurd, it makes incidental humor that much more awesome. Like chasing your target down the freeway in airport luggage carts at 20mph when the William Tell Overture comes on the game radio.

It's certainly not JRPGey in structure, but I'm not really surprised it came up since it's basically a WRPG about gangstas and smoking weed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BadAstronaut posted:

Saints Row is the Animaniacs to GTA's Captain Planet.

Nothing to do with RPGs unless you're referring to "playing as someone besides myself", though.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

chasing your target down the freeway in airport luggage carts at 20mph when the William Tell Overture comes on the game radio.

I want this in my life

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 4, 2018

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Beyond sold now. Finish Dragon Quest V, finish Dragon Age (still not played this... :rolleyes:) then experience Saints Row.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BadAstronaut posted:

I want this in my life

Start with Saints Row 2. Each one escalates and continues from the previous. Though I do wish Saints Row 3 and 4 had brought back the Pimp Cane. That was the best gun in SR2 :sigh:.

Friendly Factory posted:

Play all of the SR games.

Don't play the first. It's kinda bland and dull.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

finish Dragon Age (still not played this... :rolleyes:)

Skip this and play Drakensang 1 & 2 instead. Dragon Age blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

The Joe Man posted:

Skip this and play Drakensang 1 & 2 instead. Dragon Age blows.

I couldn't stand Drakensang. I tried playing an archer and the AI is programmed to rush ranged users while the tanks have no way to taunt. I spent more time unconscious than fighting. Two was a bit better but had the same issues. It didn't help that the first dungeon in One was literally a giant rat nest.