Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Stugazi posted:

My Triumph Street Triple steering is "weird"

Never been down except for a parking lot drop but that was a while ago. Maybe the drop could have caused damage that took a while to show itself?

I have noticed that the front end is loose at low speeds and the bike will follow tar snakes and such on freeways. I have decided it is not just me and I need to have it looked at. I have no tools or bike work experience.

Tire pressure is OK.

Any ideas? I will be taking it into the shop later this week. =/

Loose front end at low speeds to me screams low front tire pressure so just to be sure re-check the pressure, should be at least ~2,35 bar. How old are the tires? I only got ~6000 km from my last set.

chia fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

Don't over-tighten while installing the filter (once it takes more than "no effort" to tighten, only go another 3/4 turn), be wary of cross-threading, etc.

Very important that.

Maybe call the place you ordered the filter from and get an o-ring? Also, double check that it's not taped to the inside of the box the filter came in.

Thanks! Actually the filter isn't a screw-in type, it's held in place with a spring and some other little dealie.

What sucks is not realizing this at first, and having everything fall into the oil disposal kit (basically a box with a plastic bag inside of it, and a bunch of shredded absorbant material). I found the spring after I finished putting the fresh oil in and realized something was up... the PO sent me an exploded parts diagram that showed I was missing another piece. After literally sifting through the entire 2L of oily bits of absorbant poo poo by hand (moving it from one bag to another, bit by bit) looking for a mystery tiny black piece, it didn't turn up. Re-opened the filter cover, wasn't in there. :iiam: There's a faint possibility I missed it going through the oil box (was wearing fairly thick gloves and might not have felt it, although I was primarily going by visual inspection), but I'm not gonna do it again, ugh.

So like I pretty much figured: left unsupervised, my own incompetence thwarted me. Fortunately, I'm at least aware that things aren't right, and didn't go riding around on it and potentially allowed some poo poo to wreck my engine. Hopefully my friend will be able to order me another of whatever part #8 is, and it'll get here soonish. Probably gonna have to cancel plans this weekend though :smith:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So like I pretty much figured: left unsupervised, my own incompetence thwarted me. Fortunately, I'm at least aware that things aren't right, and didn't go riding around on it and potentially allowed some poo poo to wreck my engine. Hopefully my friend will be able to order me another of whatever part #8 is, and it'll get here soonish. Probably gonna have to cancel plans this weekend though :smith:

As much as canceled weekend plans suck balls, it is better to notice things and fix them. Though I know the absolute lovely feeling of wanting to ride and having some mechanical problem prevent it. And your friends say, "Take the car." while you're thinking "gently caress the car."

Also, you're Colonel Rhombus in EVE right? If so, quality posting all over the place.

On my bike, I'm just going to button up the head and not care about the noises. Maybe in deep winter I'll take the time to double check the rocker arm clearances.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

As much as canceled weekend plans suck balls, it is better to notice things and fix them. Though I know the absolute lovely feeling of wanting to ride and having some mechanical problem prevent it. And your friends say, "Take the car." while you're thinking "gently caress the car."

Also, you're Colonel Rhombus in EVE right? If so, quality posting all over the place.

The lame thing is the tranny on my van poo poo the bed last month (only had it for 4 months/about 6k kilometers, I choose to blame the PO), actually spent this morning pulling stuff off of it in preparation to recycle it. Thankfully have a recycling certificate, in Japan it actually costs money to get rid of an old car. Don't think I'm gonna replace it (fixing it would be uneconomical)... only have 10 months to go here, and I'd probably be out at least another USD$2000 between insurance, parking, taxes, depreciation, etc. For just what I pay for parking and insurance I can afford two car rentals a month, which is probably more than I'd *need*. Gonna miss it like hell on rainy days though.

Nope! I think there's another poster named "rhombus" running around on SA, might be them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, don't all bikes follow tar snakes to an extent? Unless it's like you can't control it?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You think so? All the EFI boxer valves sound whisper quiet to me. Maybe I'm used to the airheads that literally sound like typewriters.

I only have experience with an oilhead, but yeah the valves make a good amount of noise. It's our running joke that I can hear the Beemer's valves over the Buell's pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbEkMNqNuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu_s9FVbFfg

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I'm moving house interstate and need to transport my bike and tow a trailer at the same time. Which is great since I have an F-150 with tow package and pretty sure it can handle the weight without issue. However what I do have an issue with is that it is a 5.5 foot bed, and the tailgate needs to be down to fit the bike normally. I have a 'normal' hitch in that it has minimal drop, so I am concerned about clearance between the tailgate and the trailer yoke/coupler/whatever.

So I have two options I think:

1) See if I can tow with tailgate down and bike strapped in normally.

2) See if the bike will fit diagonally (I think it will) with the tailgate down.

I am leaning towards option 2 since I don't want to mess up the tailgate with the trailer scratching it up or anything like that.

I have to drive about 1000 miles like this, and want to get the bike as secure as possible.

Unfortunately I do not have time to test either combo before I have to make a decision whether to rent a trailer or just suck it up and rent a moving truck and drive that (and have my wife drive my truck w bike while I tow her car behind the moving truck).

Has anyone done this or have any input?

edit - its an 07 tuono so about the size of an average sportbike I think. Not a huge cruiser or anything. ~500 lbs wet.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The bike will fit diagonally I'm pretty sure. Don't forget you can unbolt the tailgate if it does fit diagonally and you're still worried about it hitting the trailer.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

I only have experience with an oilhead, but yeah the valves make a good amount of noise. It's our running joke that I can hear the Beemer's valves over the Buell's pipe.
Starting to wonder if you're trolling me as an airhead BMW owner. I hear literally no noise at all from those valves in those videos, all I hear is exhaust and gear whine..?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

JP Money posted:

The bike will fit diagonally I'm pretty sure. Don't forget you can unbolt the tailgate if it does fit diagonally and you're still worried about it hitting the trailer.

I meant diagonally with tailgate up, oops.

Thanks though, pretty sure it will fit too, just wanted to see if anyone had towed with tailgate down before since it would let me use the bed extender and also fit extra stuff in there for the journey too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GanjamonII posted:

Thanks though, pretty sure it will fit too, just wanted to see if anyone had towed with tailgate down before since it would let me use the bed extender and also fit extra stuff in there for the journey too.

You could just unbolt the tailgate couldn't you? I did that when transporting a bike on my mate's dual cab hilux, which had a pathetically short bed. Rammed the rear wheel of the bike into one of the front corners of the bed and strapped the poo poo out of it, didn't go anywhere.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Are you moving your furniture and stuff in the trailer? Just get a trailer big enough to put the bike in there with everything else.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Starting to wonder if you're trolling me as an airhead BMW owner. I hear literally no noise at all from those valves in those videos, all I hear is exhaust and gear whine..?

Ha, I need to pay attention to an airhead's noise up close then. Fairly certain that's not gear whine, the "ksssshhhh" is very localized right under the valve covers and it gets a little quieter right after they've been adjusted - the exhaust sounds identical to a Miata's. I think it was a couple days after she adjusted the valves that those videos were taken. They only get noisier.

"Record my bike to youtube for me so I can ask if that's normal noise on the 1150 forum."

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

GanjamonII posted:

I've towed trailers with my tailgate down (Ranger with bumper hitch) and haven't had a problem with the trailer making contact with the bed. These were all U-Haul trailers which seem to have longer tongues than most trailers though. I've also shoved a bike in diagonally and used ratchet straps to close the bed as far as it would to keep the junk that's forever in the bed from flying out. That might give you a little more clearance.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I towed my 680lb vstar over the Cascades in my long box ranger with the gate down. Two straps, no drama.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah, I'm confused. I've been around a pretty good number of BMWs in my day, Rallys and personal ownership and such, and I can't say I've even encountered an oilhead/hexhead with valve noise to speak of. They're drat quiet machines.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GanjamonII posted:

I'm moving house interstate and need to transport my bike and tow a trailer at the same time. Which is great since I have an F-150 with tow package and pretty sure it can handle the weight without issue. However what I do have an issue with is that it is a 5.5 foot bed, and the tailgate needs to be down to fit the bike normally. I have a 'normal' hitch in that it has minimal drop, so I am concerned about clearance between the tailgate and the trailer yoke/coupler/whatever.

So I have two options I think:

1) See if I can tow with tailgate down and bike strapped in normally.

2) See if the bike will fit diagonally (I think it will) with the tailgate down.

I am leaning towards option 2 since I don't want to mess up the tailgate with the trailer scratching it up or anything like that.

I have to drive about 1000 miles like this, and want to get the bike as secure as possible.

Unfortunately I do not have time to test either combo before I have to make a decision whether to rent a trailer or just suck it up and rent a moving truck and drive that (and have my wife drive my truck w bike while I tow her car behind the moving truck).

Has anyone done this or have any input?

edit - its an 07 tuono so about the size of an average sportbike I think. Not a huge cruiser or anything. ~500 lbs wet.

It will be much easier to strap the bike down with it straight in which will require you to have the tailgate down. You won't have any trouble running with the tailgate down and trailering something. I've done it / seen it done all the time

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Is it normal for brake bleed nipples to leak around the threads when loosened?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Zool posted:

Is it normal for brake bleed nipples to leak around the threads when loosened?

Yes

edit: you've probably got it too loose if you're just bleeding brakes

n8r fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 25, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

Yes

edit: you've probably got it too loose if you're just bleeding brakes

They start leaking at like 1/4 turn.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

n8r posted:

It will be much easier to strap the bike down with it straight in which will require you to have the tailgate down. You won't have any trouble running with the tailgate down and trailering something. I've done it / seen it done all the time

Not for nothing but I own a few trucks and a few trailers (business) and a few combinations definitely would allow the tailgate to hit the trailers jack handle.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm buying a drz400sm :haw:

It needs new tires. I know nothing about tires.

I've done a little reading, which involves lots of posts on other forums. Other motorcycle-related forums are hilarious, full of bros. Anyways, any pointers? I believe the stock tires are..

"120/70R17M/C 58H, tube type" front
"140/70R17M/C 66H, tube type" rear

I think that's 120 width, on a 17" rim. 140 width for the rear.

I'm not riding any dirt at all, so is there a default sticky street tire I can go for? Tubes, or tubeless?

:ohdear:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

epalm posted:

I'm buying a drz400sm :haw:

It needs new tires. I know nothing about tires.

I've done a lot of reading, which involves lots of posts on other forums. Other forums are shaite compared to SA, most of the time, it's really disgraceful. Anyways, any pointers? I believe the stock tires are..

"120/70R17M/C 58H, tube type" front
"140/70R17M/C 66H, tube type" rear

I think that's 120 width, on a 17" rim. 140 width for the rear.

I'm not riding any dirt at all, so is there a default sticky street tire I can go for? Tubes, or tubeless?

:ohdear:

Pilot Powers are about $90-100/front and ~$120 for the rear . You can go tubed, new tubes are ~20 bucks as well. You can run 150's on DRZ's no problem.

Check out the supermoto thread here in CA as well!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

kenny powerzzz posted:

Not for nothing but I own a few trucks and a few trailers (business) and a few combinations definitely would allow the tailgate to hit the trailers jack handle.

You also have to be really careful if you are taking tight turns/backing the rig. If you have a tongue that drops the ball down a bit I'd imagine the handle will clear it but it could happen.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zool posted:

They start leaking at like 1/4 turn.
Take the bleed screw out, clean it off, put grease on the threads.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So, good news, the virago passed the compression test: 120 psi front, 125 rear. So now I'm thinking the timing is off, maybe the front isn't firing at the right time, and it's being dragged by the rear? That might explain the weird clanking sound. It doesn't clank when its starting, but did while running.

The valves were a bit on the tight side and both plugs are fouled, but I think I just need to clean out the carb.

Everything is rusty. We're changing out the sprockets, and the front looks like it was dipped in rust colored paint. Im afraid to open the side covers. I'm hoping it was just the valves.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
First winter storage ever questions:

I'll be storing it in a heated garage in an VCL storage bag.

I'm gonna change the oil and oil filter, fill up the tank, and use a fuel stabilizer.
Then I'm gonna run it and turn the fuel switch to off, and let it run to it dies.
I'm not sure if the carbs on my 93 transalp 600v has a drain plug, but I think it has.
Battery will be removed and I'll have it on a battery tender some times during the winter.
Cower metal parts(not brake disks) with a light oil film and remove that in the spring.
Clean the bike and dry it properly.
Overfill the tires a little.

What I'm unsure about :
Removing the spark plugs to drop in a little oil. Is this really needed? The bike will be stored for a while though, riding season wont start until around early April. And 2 of the 4 spark plugs are real pain in the rear end to get to on the 600cc transalp.
Getting the bike up on a block under the motor/off the wheels? Is this really needed?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Supradog posted:

First winter storage ever questions

I do winter storage by cleaning the bike, changing the oil and filter, putting a bit of fuel stabilizer in the tank, putting a cover over it and not worrying about it until the riding season starts.

It has worked well so far. Fires right up every spring.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I recommend some sort of battery maintainer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

I recommend some sort of battery maintainer.

Only if your store your bike outside and it gets close to freezing or below.

In any other case, just disconnecting the battery to prevent parasitic loss is good enough.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you can park your tires on rubber pads or something, it's about as good as having them elevated.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Probably not necessary - if you live somewhere with humid air I'd be a bit concerned about trapping moist air. I'd go with a regular bike cover.

I'm gonna change the oil and oil filter, fill up the tank, and use a fuel stabilizer.
good idea

Then I'm gonna run it and turn the fuel switch to off, and let it run to it dies.
probably won't matter but ok

I'm not sure if the carbs on my 93 transalp 600v has a drain plug, but I think it has.
probably has one but not necessary to drain it

Battery will be removed and I'll have it on a battery tender some times during the winter.
good idea

Cower metal parts(not brake disks) with a light oil film and remove that in the spring.
not necessary

ok

probably not necessary but ok

What I'm unsure about :
Removing the spark plugs to drop in a little oil. Is this really needed? The bike will be stored for a while though, riding season wont start until around early April. And 2 of the 4 spark plugs are real pain in the rear end to get to on the 600cc transalp.
not necessary

Getting the bike up on a block under the motor/off the wheels? Is this really needed?
no

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Supradog posted:

What I'm unsure about :

Not sure where you live, but if it's in an area where you get the odd warm stretch, maybe it makes sense to leave the battery in the bike, on the tender, so you can take it out on the odd 45 deg. day. Understanding that some parts of the world that's impossible.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Hey the wiki has been up for almost a whole year this time. I wrote a bunch on the winter storage common Q/A and gave as much background as I could on why each thing is suggested, and why it is or is not actually important.

http://2strokeworld.com/bikewiki/index.php?title=Maintenance#Winterizing.2FStorage_Preparation

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Thanks for all the replys.

I'm planning on using the vcl bag because its a communal but closed garage with cars going in and out all winter bringing in some moisture in the form of snow/slush/whatever.

The garage itself won't go below freezing, but there is no chance of any warm stretches enabling riding. When snow and ice come in here in Oslo Norway, the road works salt the poo poo out the main roads and the inner city roads will have ice patches until late march at least. I'll want to top up the battery before spring anyway so I'll just keep that at home.

I wont bother with anything for the wheels then. You roll the bike into the bag so the tires wont have direct contact with the floor.

Edit: same with the oil on metal parts and into the spark plug holes, that seemed kinda overkill.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 26, 2013

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
My bike sat for about 3 weeks with the battery on a tender. Now it won't start. Am I screwed? Is it time for the inevitable carb rebuild?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

notZaar posted:

My bike sat for about 3 weeks with the battery on a tender. Now it won't start. Am I screwed? Is it time for the inevitable carb rebuild?

Details....

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I can hear the starter working, but the motor doesn't turn over. I've tried to bump start it, it doesn't do anything. There's gas in the tank, so I can only assume it can't reach the engine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Did you turn the fuel valve on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Is the gas turned on?