Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

The most disappointing thing about the SF cask is that most every park in the city has undergone major renovation since the '80s. The only hope would be if it were buried in Russian Hill Park (you can see the backwards Gh, Alcatraz and the posts from here); I don't believe this park has been touched.

What are the "cons" against Russian Hill being the location? Those "pros" sound pretty simple and solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 1 Verse 7 San Francisco

I see how Russian Hill becomes interesting from a visual perspective with the 'hG'. I never found any evidence that supported that location as strongly as that of Lincoln Park. Perhaps the point of Russian Hill is solely to get a good look at Alcatraz and Ghiradelli and then wonder why it fits just that portion of the solution when you're putting it all together up at the Palace of the Legion of Honor and Golf Course.

Some of the main objects of my theory have been subject to removal and relocation. I believe the "giant pole" is literally a giant pole in the parking lot of the Palace of the Legion of Honor, which was there in the early 80's, but removed in the mid to late 90's. I don't know the actual dates.

The Betsy Ross Memorial Flagpole,

A step or stair pertains to climbing a short distance. A stairway: takes you to the second floor of a home.

A giant step pertains to traversing a long distance. A highway: takes you to the next town.

The Lincoln Memorial Highway terminus marker was installed by the boyscouts, it has been relocated to the other side of the parking lot.

Following these two objects in line on a map takes you in Alcatraz' direction. In jewels direction is an object of Twain's attention: his pen. Twain = Samuel Clemens pen name. Alcatraz = PEN. Federal Penitentiary.

If you follow this path in that direction it stops at a bench that faces the Golden Gate Bridge and has these old trees that present this pattern that matches the dragon head and arms of the woman.

The tree that is modeling for this picture is a Monterey Cyprus, slow growing, part of the main tract of planting in the 1930's. Regular maintenance has been conducted on these roadside trees.

Something of a new tactic Ive turned to involves really focusing on what the verse is doing to identify some points as distant clues for the purpose of getting situated and which clues referenced in its final lines strictly guide us to what pinpoints.

If the main part of this verse establishes these three line clues, Flagpole, Lincoln post, and a direction of Alcatraz, the final lines are line "to the place the casque is kept" doesnt look like much help. I think the image must play a stronger role in this case and at this spot where the trees look like arms folded theres a long rectangle shape in the top surface of the bench. I think it identifies with the border outlining her dragon. Im willing to think the golden pearl above it on her neck is the same as digging at the end of the bench, west side.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 25, 2013

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I just came in this thread to see if anybody had found anything yet. Have we got anywhere? There's a LOT of posts to read.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

thehustler posted:

I just came in this thread to see if anybody had found anything yet. Have we got anywhere? There's a LOT of posts to read.

We've found all remaining besides the one rumored to be buried underneath threeolive's luxury condo complex, we're stalled waiting for permits to demo at the moment.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

thehustler posted:

Have we got anywhere?

Depends. I'm pretty sure the odometer says we've gone 2000 miles but, I still see my mailbox.

RE: Milwaukee

I came across this book and I'm going to see if it helps.

That's about the furthest I've been able to work on this in 3 months.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 23, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Also as we discovered when we visited to take pictures, the "Gh" is completely dependent on tree growth and the photographer's stance (tall/short, leaning etc). Those things are so variable that it's hard to imagine that's what Preiss meant.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

BJG posted:

If I could get teleported to any one spot to try digging, it would be to the "2C" at Charlesgate in Boston. I don't care how many people have stood around it shaking their heads with their hands in their pockets; I'm completely with Rook and Smurf on that one. If y'all want to find a casque, you have to try other people's hunches and not just your own. IMHO.

Plane flights to Boston are cheap. Even if it is the right place there is going to be several feet of collected dumped trash between you and the cask. How would you even know where in the park to dig? There really aren't any clues to point to a specific place and it is not a small area.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nnep posted:

We've found all remaining besides the one rumored to be buried underneath threeolive's luxury condo complex, we're stalled waiting for permits to demo at the moment.

Has anyone been chased by men in hooded tuxedoes and a hairless man with a map tattooed across his entire body?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

C'mon, share the "fortune cookie" SF theory.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Houston

I mentioned I'd talk about my disappointing trip to Houston. I've put it off because I couldn't believe how wrong I was once I was actually there and looking at things. I was positive I was right, and it would only be more clear once I was there.

Yeah. Boots on the ground, people. That's the only way to be sure.

I took 30 photos, which I'll post here in case anyone else wants to look.

This is when I arrived at Tranquility Park. It was mid-afternoon on a Sunday. Let me say a few things about Tranquility Park. One, if you're going to go there, it's kind of sketchy. I wasn't bothered, but I did see a few people sizing me up and looking at my not so fancy camera. I was definitely out of place and alone and there were a lot of homeless people. While I know that most of them are perfectly harmless, it's not always a safe bet, especially in a city as big as Houston. It was a shock because there's been a lot of revitalization around this area with the theater district and all. However, it's pretty obvious this park hasn't seen any love in a while.

Lots and lots of memorial displays with lots of dates and names abound in this park. I took photos of all of them I could find, looking for numbers (primarily 982, of course) and December dates, among other things. I did not find what I was looking to find. These displays are on the south wall of the complex, furthest from the river.

One of the more distinctive buildings (and tallest) in the area. I was trying to take photos as if I was Preiss, scouting the location for the first time. What would have stood out as different? If I could take similar photos, I might find identifying things in the drawing. This did not prove fruitful.

Signage around the park. I know all the signs are new, but names can stay the same and maybe I can find something that triggers a search. It's difficult to know what might be important when 30 years of change has occurred.

This kind of shows the state of disrepair in and around the park. This appeared to be some kind of box office, but it obviously hasn't been used in a long time. Again, I'm just wandering around the park, looking for anything that looks like anything in the painting and hoping that by taking photos of things that most people don't photograph, that I might find something interesting when I look over them at home. Again, this was a dead end.

I took a lot of photos of the columns, because I was convinced I could make them line up like the columns in the back of the painting. I never did find a vantage point that closely approximated it. This was very disappointing. It's worth noting that I couldn't tell if the base formations would match the tilework on the ground of the painting. It's the right color, and certain photographs make it look like it could have vertical as well as horizontal lines, but in person, it's just the horizontal lines. No match.

It's called the Wortham Fountain, a name and description I'd not found anywhere else. Sadly, it doesn't seem to match anything.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets was afraid to venture down into this area of the park and I can understand why. It's kind of a recessed tunnel and kind of not and it's probably the sketchiest area of the park. When I went down there I didn't encounter anyone, but I also couldn't wait to get back out. It did not feel safe at all. When I went back later to take more photos, there were quite a few homeless milling about and I decided I didn't need any more photos. I saw nothing down there that seemed to relate to the quest.

At this point, I decided to follow my theory. It only started in Tranquility Park, and I'd seen enough and taken enough photos there. Even if I couldn't quite find the matching iconography I was looking to find, it wouldn't matter because I had already convinced myself it wasn't actually buried there and was probably in Sam Houston Park. I first tried to find the entrance to the Houston Underground, as this was my "Anthem" related "subway entrance". The Underground would have been closed at this time, but I didn't think I needed to go in, just find the entrance. I walked all over that stupid park, gave some homeless some money and showed them the painting and the verse and asked where the entrance was, all to no avail. None of them saw anything they recognized in the painting, and the ones that claimed to know of an entrance in the park couldn't actually show it to me. All the doors and hallways and stairs I found led to the parking garage under the park, not to the Underground. Even this weird circular formation wasn't anything. gently caress. If I couldn't find any kind of entrance to the Underground, it's doubtful that Preiss found something he mistook for a subway.

Things were falling apart. I thought I'd go ahead and walk north from the park toward the theater (as the protagonist in Anthem) and into the "Forbidden Forest" of Sam Houston Park. It looks so goddamn easy on Google Maps, but I cannot explain the scale you're dealing with when you're actually there.

That's a very major city street, it's five lanes wide and they're not small lanes. Look at the size of the people in that image and you'll start to understand the scale. It's loving big. Once you start walking toward Sam Houston Park, or even down toward the river, you quickly lose sight of Tranquility Park and you realize it's not a short walk. I grew up in Houston, but I had forgotten just how outsized everything is there. City blocks are bigger than you think, parks are bigger than they look. Everything feels like it's on a 2x scale from what you expect. It just wasn't an easy leap to get to Sam Houston Park -- not like it is on Google Maps.

But there was another problem.

Sam Houston Park is under construction and closed. It looks like a fairly minor refresh of the grounds and structures, so landmarks shouldn't be moved, but you're not getting in there any time in the near future to look. I didn't feel like getting arrested, so I just shot some photos through the fence.

I was feeling pretty dejected by now, but thought I'd wander down to the river and find the "Sounds of the Past" or whatever the whistle thing is called. Maybe it was built before 1982, though my research suggests otherwise. Everything else had been wrong, so why not? However, I never did find the whistle. I think it's way around the corner by Sesquicentennial Park, and that was far beyond a reasonable distance, especially with no other clues to guide you there. Walking around down there isn't exactly a comforting experience and I was alone and I was already well overdue for when I said I'd be back. Since I hadn't found anything worth anything, I just turned around.

I took a different route on the way back. I stopped by the library, which does indeed look like a fortress, but not like anything in the painting.

There's a 900 near city hall. Could 982 be nearby? Probably not.

City Hall is a wonderful representation of the Art Deco style Ayn Rand loved so much. It's visually interesting and worth a look, but the park in front of it (Herman Park) has even more homeless in it, and a few of them were pushing and shoving each other and not altogether happy, so I didn't linger. Its address is 900, so it is not "the 982".

In the end, I've got nothing, other than I'm almost certainly convinced it's not in this area. I might return to Sam Houston Park once it's open again, but it will just be a trip to reconfirm what I think I already know. That drat pole with a ball on top might just be a flag pole near the cask for all we can tell. "In the center of four alike"? Maybe somewhere there's four flag poles?

I don't know anymore.

einTier fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 25, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

allta posted:

So let's take a look at one of the examples so we can see what were up against:
Every picture has a number of things in it that are supposed to, when paired with the verse, lead you to the location of the cask. This the the 2004 cask find:

Here's something that's been bothering me. In my quest to find the Houston cask, I've gone back to the ones that were found, trying to track through their logic as though I was seeing it for the first time -- rather than accepting what I'm told. The numbers 1442 and 1881 are said to point to the latitude and longitude of Cleveland.

We're told in this image:

quote:

The last two digits of each of these years, 1442 and 1881, appear in the latitude (41,42) and longitude (81,87) of Cleveland.

Hang on a minute. WTF? One of those numbers appears as the second number and the other appears as the first with no explanation. That's a hell of a jump. Plus, Google says Cleveland is actually at 41.4822° N, 81.6697° W.

So, 42 doesn't appear at all. The numbers quoted actually put you pretty far Southwest of Cleveland and in the complete opposite direction of the park where the cask was located. Using this tool and the Cultural Gardens Map, the Greek Gardens are located at approximately 41.5271° N and 81.6265° W. Not that I'd expect him to be that precise, but it's good to know approximately what numbers we should find.

I could go so far as to say that you reverse the first two digits of each date, which gives you 41N, 81W, which is approximate enough, I guess. It doesn't explain the other numbers and no matter how I spin them I can't get close to Cleveland or the cask.

Perhaps he did mean it to be very imprecise. Still, Houston's coordinates are 29.7628° N, 95.3831° W, and while we can find 95 (and 96!) easily in the Arabian image, we cannot find 29 at all. We do find 30, but that's not technically Houston's latitude. I'm wondering if there's something we're missing here and the latitude and longitude numbers couldn't point us in a much more general area. Even in 1982, with the right maps it wouldn't be unheard of to be accurate to the first or even second decimal.

In the case of Houston, defining a box by the second decimal still results in an area about 2000 feet on a side. As an example, that's big enough to include most of Hermann Park or any of the other parks we've discussed.

I'm also looking at the Chicago map. The approximate location that cask was found was 41.877908° N, 87.620344° W. Oddly, there are two 87's to be found in the windmill, and four blades. The fourth number is believed to be another 41.

41.87N, 87.41W puts you way out in the lake, but what if the number hidden in that blade is actually 62?

einTier fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 25, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

einTier posted:

Hang on a minute. WTF? One of those numbers appears as the second number and the other appears as the first with no explanation. That's a hell of a jump.

I wonder if that "clue" was actually used in finding the location or if people worked backwards to it after finding the cask. Maybe it had no relevance at all and any similarity to the coordinates was just a coincidence.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

quote:

Perhaps he did mean it to be very imprecise. Still, Houston's coordinates are 29.7628° N, 95.3831° W, and while we can find 95 (and 96!) easily in the Arabian image, we cannot find 29 at all. We do find 30, but that's not technically Houston's latitude. I'm wondering if there's something we're missing here and the latitude and longitude numbers couldn't point us in a much more general area. Even in 1982, with the right maps it wouldn't be unheard of to be accurate to the first or even second decimal.

In the case of Houston, defining a box by the second decimal still results in an area about 2000 feet on a side. As an example, that's big enough to include most of Hermann Park or any of the other parks we've discussed.

Think of the numbers as framing the longitude and latitude rather than being degrees before and after the decimal.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 26, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

[quote="einTier" post="419853381"]

Think of the numbers as framing the longitude and latitude rather than being degrees before and after the decimal.

Houston's latitude could be rounded up to 30. Either way, those pillars are unmistakeable.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Nocheez posted:

Houston's latitude could be rounded up to 30. Either way, those pillars are unmistakeable.

Unmistakable? How so? Some have said they're from the Children's Zoo -- and there were some posts there that looked like that. I've argued they look like the Tranquility Park pillars, but I'm not too sure of that now.

What was trying to say in that long, rambling stream-of-consciousness post is that maybe there are four numbers in every image, and combined in the right way, get you very close to the park where the cask is buried.

It's not that I think the Arabian image isn't Houston, it's that I think Preiss meant the lat/long location to be more precise.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I thought of that and I was fond of that interpretation. But correct me if I'm wrong, Houston is the only image that has the "framing" aspect. Cleveland and Chicago give you the precise first digits, and Chicago has enough to give you the first four of one number easily. Why repeat the numbers twice? Why are there extra numbers in the Cleveland image when we know the numbers correspond to the latitude and longitude numbers?

einTier fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 25, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

einTier posted:

Unmistakable? How so? Some have said they're from the Children's Zoo -- and there were some posts there that looked like that. I've argued they look like the Tranquility Park pillars, but I'm not too sure of that now.

What was trying to say in that long, rambling stream-of-consciousness post is that maybe there are four numbers in every image, and combined in the right way, get you very close to the park where the cask is buried.

You're right; I used the wrong words. I think that the pillars looked very convincing, but it could just be a coincidence.

Preiss wasn't some genius when he did these puzzles, he probably was intentionally vague to make the search last longer than a month or so. I think he ended up making a treasure hunt that is virtually unsolveable, especially after years and renovations have changed things so much.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Re: lat/long, some pictures contain adjacent pairs as a clue to a larger area, and numbers can be reversed. Eg:

Image 4 - 41/42 and 81 (Cleveland is 41, 81)
Image 7 - 29 and 90/91 (New Orleans is 29, 90)

(I can't believe you're up to 93 pages of posts here and you still haven't got that. You'd be better off following this at Q4T.)

BJG fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 25, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

BJG posted:

Re: lat/long, some pictures contain adjacent pairs as a clue to a larger area, and numbers can be reversed. Eg:

Image 4 - 41/42 and 81 (Cleveland is 41, 81)
Image 7 - 29 and 90/91 (New Orleans is 29, 90)

(I can't believe you're up to 93 pages of posts here and you still haven't got that. You'd be better off following this at Q4T.)

No, I got that. I know that's the accepted knowledge. Problem is, "accepted knowledge" hasn't really gotten anyone all that far.

For example, 41N,81W gets us kind of in the Cleveland area. But draw a circle around that dot that includes Cleveland and you'll nearly include Pittsburgh -- along with a few other smaller towns. 42N, 81W puts us way out in the middle of Lake Erie. We're still some 50 miles from Cleveland and we're way too far East. Both coordinates are way too far East, and if you're making a bracket, you're doing a pretty poor job. You can make the argument that you're close and that's where it lies, and if you're just finding the first numbers of the coordinates, you'll get close. I'm wondering if there isn't more to it. 41.42N, 81W gets you pretty close to Cleveland, but you're still too far east. I'm wondering if there isn't some way to combine those four numbers to get a better bearing.

The Chicago image is more compelling. No other image features the same lat/long numbers twice. Why are they repeated there?

Again, let's look at your numbers for New Orleans. New Orleans is actually 29.9667° N, 90.0500. Why would your bracket be practically centered on the city on one end and way the gently caress out in the middle of nowhere on the other end? And 29 puts you way off in the Gulf. What the gently caress kind of bracket is that? Also, if he's rounding Houston off to 30, why didn't he do it for New Orleans? 30/90 isn't exact, but puts you in the middle of what most would consider to be New Orleans, including Google Maps and the city of New Orleans. It doesn't make any sense. However, 29.91N, 90W puts us in the middle of New Orleans. I don't see a 16 in that image, but let's say there is. 29.91N, 90.16W practically puts me Bayou Segnette park. Is that it? I don't know, I don't know anything about that park. I'm just saying that maybe the numbers are more accurate than we've realized.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Myth: BUSTED

A quick exercise. No idea if it will prove me right or wrong or nothing.

1442, 1881. Those are dates on the Cleveland image.

Remove 41 and 81 as we know that's the first numbers in Cleveland's coordinates. That leaves us with 1,2,4, and 8. Those four digits can only be combined in so many ways (24) to make two numbers: 12:48, 12:84, 14:28, 14:82, 18:42, 18:24, 21:48, 21:84, 24:18, 24:81, 28:41, 28:14, 42:18, 42:81, 41:28, 41:82, 48:12, 48:21, 82:41, 82:14, 84:21, 84:12, 81:42, 81:24

Now, we pair those up to create the following coordinates (formatted like this for a reason):

41.12,-81.48
41.12,-81.84
41.14,-81.28
41.14,-81.82
41.18,-81.42
41.18,-81.24
41.21,-81.48
41.21,-81.84
41.24,-81.18
41.24,-81.81
41.28,-81.41
41.28,-81.14
41.42,-81.18
41.42,-81.81
41.41,-81.28
41.41,-81.82
41.48,-81.12
41.48,-81.21
41.82,-81.41
41.82,-81.14
41.84,-81.21
41.84,-81.12
41.81,-81.42
41.81,-81.24

Now, I can put all those into this interesting website and see what pops up.

[edit]
drat. Those are all the points that aren't in Lake Erie. Two (41.41,-81.82 ; 41.42,-81.81) are close to the airport, but none are close to the park where the cask was found. I still think he meant the numbers to be more exact, but probably just "in this city". In which case, you don't need to find them all, you can pretty well figure it out from two or three.

I'm still glad I did the work, I find a lot of the knowledge we think to be true is just something someone said that stuck. It's useful to re-verify at this stage in the game. For what it's worth, using the Houston numbers along with a missing 29 (the first number in Houston's latitude) gets us 29.96N, 95.30W and puts us right outside the airport. Maybe that's all the numbers point to. Airports.

einTier fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 26, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

C'mon, share the "fortune cookie" SF theory.

I havent worked out the theory completely, but I recently learned the fortune cookie did have its beginning in SF. Ive been coonsidering some tie ins with the "pearls of wisdom" inside those cookies along with the idea that when its time to pay for your meal, thats when the cookie comes to the table. Essentially the asian woman is a fortune teller. Twain was also known for his pearls of wisdom in the form of quips and quotes. Im still putting this together, but Im confident the old cypress trees near the end of the bench at Lands End match the womans folded arms.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Urban Smurf posted:

I havent worked out the theory completely, but I recently learned the fortune cookie did have its beginning in SF. Ive been coonsidering some tie ins with the "pearls of wisdom" inside those cookies along with the idea that when its time to pay for your meal, thats when the cookie comes to the table. Essentially the asian woman is a fortune teller. Twain was also known for his pearls of wisdom in the form of quips and quotes. Im still putting this together, but Im confident the old cypress trees near the end of the bench at Lands End match the womans folded arms.

There is no way that anyone would use trees like that for a treasure hunt like this. Trees are constantly growing, changing, falling over, dying of disease, and being cut down. Preiss used landmarks, statues, etc. that should be static.

You're simply seeing things that don't exist.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Houston

Apparently, the Garden Center in Hermann Park is also being renovated.
http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/ourparks/gardencenter.html

quote:

The Houston Garden Center grounds will be closed to the general public beginning on August 1, 2013, as the first step in the creation of the Centennial Gardens at Hermann Park. The closing of the Houston Garden Center is the first step in the transformation of the existing site into the new 8-acre Centennial Gardens.
The closing will allow the department the opportunity to safely remove sculptures and other salvageable items prior to the start of construction. The removal and storage of the sculptures and art will be overseen by the Houston Arts Alliance in conjunction with the City of Houston General Services Division. The artwork will be properly stored until construction at the garden center is complete and will then be reinstalled.

Sounds like a pretty substantial makeover. If the cask was buried there, it might be lost for good.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

einTier posted:

Houston

Apparently, the Garden Center in Hermann Park is also being renovated.
http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/ourparks/gardencenter.html

Sounds like a pretty substantial makeover. If the cask was buried there, it might be lost for good.

When stuff like this happens and you know in advance, maybe it's worth writing to the companies doing the renovation, so if a worker spots the broken cask, we all can get some closure.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Nocheez posted:

There is no way that anyone would use trees like that for a treasure hunt like this. Trees are constantly growing, changing, falling over, dying of disease, and being cut down. Preiss used landmarks, statues, etc. that should be static.

You're simply seeing things that don't exist.

I think you're underestimating the longevity of trees. Granted, thiry years of change was an unplanned outcome, so if we find that the trees have succumbed to the ravages of time, disease, or forest fires, etc., then that's that. I don't think it's completely out of the question for a treasure hunt that was designed to be solved in a relatively short time.

You're too quick to dismiss this, but you might be right, I'm seeing something which might just be my imagination. Still, let's look at it as a resource and ask intelligent questions. Is that set of trees very young or very old? How much have they changed in 30 years? There are countless examples of trees which have retained their characteristics over longer spans of time, there are also radical changes as a result of growth, rot, weather, etc. . Was that bench that faces the Golden Gate Bridge there 30 years ago?

The real question is, when will someone who lives nearby have the nads to give this spot closer examination before they expertly dismiss it by saying something like "I know trees, and I can tell you that's only 20 years old," just by looking at a googlestreet image. How about actually taking a closer look or even count some rings on the stump of the tree ten feet away that has the same diameter?

Anyways, it's just one flavor of ideas, if there's something better to have you convinced of looking closer elswhere, then let's hear it. I'm currently very interested in something I was just reading about from Homer's Odyssey where Odysseus is held for 7 years on an island by the nymph Calypso. The passage talks about the god Mercury and the sweet smell of cypress. That's my pet theory or hope that we'll find some conclusive connection between the Greek Classics and all of the locations.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

I have a cunning plan. Set up a fake media company pretending to make a documentary about it. Interviews with the guy's wife and the artist. Get all the answers. Dig up treasure. Sell documentary for millions.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

einTier posted:

No, I got that. I know that's the accepted knowledge. Problem is, "accepted knowledge" hasn't really gotten anyone all that far.

To be fair, neither has deviating from it. ;)

Nocheez posted:

There is no way that anyone would use trees like that for a treasure hunt like this. Trees are constantly growing, changing, falling over, dying of disease, and being cut down.

I used to think that, though I've come to see it as more likely, unforturtunately. He does go on about them, and one of the two solved puzzles directly used them. I doubt anyone could solve Chicago now.

BJG fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 26, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Bloke posted:

I have a cunning plan. Set up a fake media company pretending to make a documentary about it. Interviews with the guy's wife and the artist. Get all the answers. Dig up treasure. Sell documentary for millions.

That's actually not a bad idea. Hmmmm....

Someone feel like setting up a website? Palancar is still alive and might spill some beans if he thought it meant more publicity for him. Maybe he could identify a cask that would have little hope of recovery now due to changes, and help us find it for the documentary?

There's actually a good story here.

BJG posted:

To be fair, neither has deviating from it. ;)

I used to think that, though I've come to see it as more likely, unforturtunately. He does go on about them, and one of the two solved puzzles directly used them. I doubt anyone could solve Chicago now.
This is true. I just really want to find a cask and I'm willing to work through everything again just to see. Otherwise, I'm just walking the same paths everyone else has walked and found nothing.

I'm kind of worried about that idea too. When I first read through the clues for Houston, I was thinking it would stick you out in the wood by the mini trains. "Center of four alike" could easily be four trees out there somewhere. Scary to think about -- almost as much as how much all the Houston parks have changed over the years. Houston really doesn't think much about bulldozing something to put something new in.

einTier fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 26, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Palencar wouldn't spill the beans if you held a knife to his throat.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

BJG posted:

Palencar wouldn't spill the beans if you held a knife to his throat.

When's the last time anyone asked? Preiss is dead. The documents that he said would be released if he died are missing and may never surface. Palencar is the only one with clues any more.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

OK, try. Here's a contact email.

http://www.johnjudepalencar.com/Policies.htm

I don't think you'll believe it unless you hear from him yourself. (Or not.)

(I didn't. ;))

BJG fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 26, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Long time, first time, here. Love the discussion.
I keep coming back to the window in the "san francisco" picture . Correct me if I missed something, but I have read the whole thread and it seems no one has spotted anything close to it.

It reminds me of the wall in cleveland. The picture of that wall was the key piece to finding where the cask was buried. I realize that the window could just be one of the many landmarks in the area, but it just doesnt seem distinctive enough.

I want to find that window. I grew up in SF and I know several natives who are landmark hawks for the area. They are also old enough to have been around in 1982 and maybe even remember that. I'll ask when I get off work.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 26, 2013

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

San Francisco

Drunk Nerds, I'm convinced the "window" is actually the shape of the arch of the Palace of the Legion of Honor as seen with the interior colonnade. View it at a distance with the round fountain pool in the foreground and you'll see it. The fountain pool may be represented by the round top of the small table. The top of the timepiece matches the top of the lamp posts in the parking lot (you can find those antique posts all over historic SF). So much fits visually that it's just begging to be solved, but there's a lot going on that we're still not sure about. So much reconstruction has happened to the parkinglot area that this location might go unsolved.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay so i spent a few hours with my SF native friends . Sorry to say we have no new lead breaks... Yet. But i do feel i have something to offer.

I've made puzzles professionally for computer games, and I am always making elaborate games and puzzles for my friends and family. I like to think I can get inside of the author's head for this reason. Here's what I noticed today about which I feel strongly. As requested by the OP I will attempt to frame everything in terms of our best clues: The solved puzzles. I am sure i have overlooked a detail or four so please jump in and correct what i have missed..

1. The Lemontiger solution is solid up until right after the RLS and Edwin Booth plaques. Then it loses its poo poo: moving about ten blocks left just because Octavia means something related to but not exactly the word eighth? No way. The chicago and cleveland puzzles had several landmarks within a few blocks of each other. San fran is loaded with landmarks, there would be absolutely no reason to move 10 blocks west ever. Wherever it was buried there were almost definitely a buncha cool statues/landmarks nearby. I suspect "eighth" refers to the quantity of weed the author bought and smoked before finishing the puzzle.

2. My SF friends were on it: they named dozens of landmarks with windows and arches thaf looked almost, but not exactly like the picture. The number of vertical bars was always the negating factor. On that note, Urban Smurf, does your arch have four horizontal bars, all very closely spaced? Because we scoured the legion on foot and via satellite and could not find a way to line up more than two columns in an archway.

3. I like the edwin plaque and that he founded his actors union in may 1913. But the notion that this is tied to gettysburg address because its exactly 50 years later? I dont see the author referencing this time jump at all in the poem so I am really not convinced the Edwin booth plaque is right.

4. What is going on with the symbols around the dragon frock? Above the hands its a lat/long clue. But below the hands we've got chinese symbols, roman symbols, and.... "Other" . Now the puzzlemaker in me thinks these are indicators that its a word puzzle disguised like masonic/chinese/roman alusions. The symbols are just too varied to point to one cultural place . Maybe its like cleveland where the cask was between two nations? I will be studying these symbols the most over the next few days.

I showed my SF friends some key "artifacts" and they will keep their eyes open/try to dig up old photos

I also have some MKE friends who love treasure hunting/puzzles so I will be tackling thet puzzle while I digest all these loose SF Clues

So much fun! Glad to be working on this, thanks!

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 27, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

Okay so i spent a few hours with my SF native friends . Sorry to say we have no new lead breaks... Yet. But i do feel i have something to offer.
So much fun! Glad to be working on this, thanks!

I'm not joking when I say that this post was one of the best I've seen here about narrowing down a location. It's well thought out and does not try to shoehorn pet theories to make things fit.

Well done! I think you and your friends have the best shot at finding one of these.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

crashdome posted:

Depends. I'm pretty sure the odometer says we've gone 2000 miles but, I still see my mailbox.

RE: Milwaukee

I came across this book and I'm going to see if it helps.

That's about the furthest I've been able to work on this in 3 months.

Good luck man. Post in the mke thread if you find something.

I too believe it has been landscaped over/destroyed.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

Octavia means something related to but not exactly the word eighth

"Octavia" means "the eighth". Look it up.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Drunk Nerds, no, I dont have a 1:1 bar to column match with the Palace arch. I only think it looks like a major focal point and it looks similar in shape and style, i would have to say its a major crapshoot when it comes to assessing these visuals.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

From this vantage point, the giant Betsy Ross Flagpole would have been right behind the viewer. The fountain pool matches the table-top very closely. The Lincoln Highway marker is a great match for the table-post and there is a silhouette of Lincoln in the drawing. The entire parking lot area when seen from above matches the woman's head perfectly. The crossed arms in the drawing match "Crossover Drive" in Golden Gate Park. Take a "giant step" from the "giant pole" would mean going to the south dropoff from the parking lot, towards Fulton Street (the inventor of the steam boat and "the object of Twain's attention"). The "J" of the flower stem matches John F. Kennedy Drive in Golden Gate park which passes under Highway 1 ("sounds from the sky near ace is high" which also goes "north, but first across"). The numbers match avenues that intersect the park. The site sits amid a golf course (golf balls in picture).

But this area was reconstructed and dug out for sprinkler installations since the '80s. Too bad, because I think this is the spot.

Er... the Palace of Fine Arts isn't in Golden Gate Park, though. Why the references to GGP? Just to establish SF as being the city in question?