Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Oh my stars, Alex Jones is now running with the theory that bin Laden wasn't killed after all :allears:

http://www.infowars.com/seymour-hersh-bin-laden-death-one-big-lie/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You keep on loving that chicken, Alex.

Although he does need to stop his fussing about the New World Order and focus on the real threat to the human race: psychic lizard aliens.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

HootTheOwl posted:

Did he? Like ninety percent of his callers came from WOR when I listened.

50,000 watt station that covers the tri-state area, including radio markets #1, #20 (Nassau-Suffolk), #38 (Middlesex/Somerset/Union) and #52 (Monmouth/Ocean). Plus Southwestern CT...lot of people even if the station only tops out at a 2 share 6+ in all of those markets.

Also, I'm sure his screeners bumped callers from the WOR coverage area to give the impression he was successful in godless commie liberal NY. Used to do it all the time whenever I screened (from a hot ZIP with diaries or meters? You get put on air first!)

Hated his show the most aside from Gallagher...his satellite always had poo poo audio quality and the artifacting stood out like the veins on his head when he would start screaming.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You keep on loving that chicken, Alex.

Although he does need to stop his fussing about the New World Order and focus on the real threat to the human race: psychic lizard aliens.

I don't know, like at all, why these people don't just listen to Art loving Bell or something. Good at his job, personable, upfront about the real purpose of the show: entertainment. Shut down modern radio. It just makes people depressed and schizoid and Republican as hell.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVQlfjod3Y

I don't have cable, so have only seen what TPM compiled, but it looks like the President has gravely offended FoxNews by accusing them of not liking the ACA. I can't imagine where he would get such a ridiculous idea from.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

I don't have cable, so have only seen what TPM compiled, but it looks like the President has gravely offended FoxNews by accusing them of not liking the ACA. I can't imagine where he would get such a ridiculous idea from.

Are you loving kidding me? Really, are you?

Okaaaaaayyy you alll had a good laugh on ol' thick-headed Monkey Fracas, now show me the Onion link or whatever.

Please. Tell me this isn't real life :suicide:

God, a gigantic sinkhole just swallowing Fox News headquarters would be the best thing to happen to journalism. Not like anyone else is much better, but the literal physical destruction of Fox News would just be such a plus.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

agarjogger posted:

I don't know, like at all, why these people don't just listen to Art loving Bell or something. Good at his job, personable, upfront about the real purpose of the show: entertainment. Shut down modern radio. It just makes people depressed and schizoid and Republican as hell.

Yeah, another major difference is that Art Bell and his ilk are up front and honest about everything on the show. You'll hear them say things like "we don't screen callers and don't fact check neat sounding stories so don't automatically believe everything you hear on here. People can literally just make things up and if it sounds cool we'll talk about it anyway."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bigtom posted:

50,000 watt station that covers the tri-state area, including radio markets #1, #20 (Nassau-Suffolk), #38 (Middlesex/Somerset/Union) and #52 (Monmouth/Ocean). Plus Southwestern CT...lot of people even if the station only tops out at a 2 share 6+ in all of those markets.
I don't understand how ratings work. Is this bad?

quote:

Also, I'm sure his screeners bumped callers from the WOR coverage area to give the impression he was successful in godless commie liberal NY. Used to do it all the time whenever I screened (from a hot ZIP with diaries or meters? You get put on air first!)
Ah, that makes more sense.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't understand how ratings work. Is this bad?

The station is #21 overall in NY, with a 1.2 share and a cume of 495,000 - for reference the #1 station has 5 million cume and a 6 share. So yeah..pretty bad.

It does slightly better in the suburbs (1.5 share on Long Island, cume of only 62k), but even the NPR stations are beating it. Plus if you look at the breakdowns, it's all 55+ that listen - advertisers generally don't want anyone over 49, and they want women more than men (why oldies stations no longer play 50's & 60's songs...and why the soft rock station in your area is dropping the 70's & 80's songs).

The lack of compelling content, and the fact that nobody under the age of 50 listens (thus, no advertisers aside from GoldLine and other scams), will be the death knell for the conservative talk on the radio as a major force, at least locally. Stations run on the cheap will keep it on, just to have something moving the meters - may not make much, but cheaper than hiring anyone locally.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I just heard an amazing exchange with Sean Hannity And Rand Paul.

Sean: So you're going to vote for cloture?

Paul: Yeah, and then we'll turn Obama's failed healthcare plan into fodder for the next elections.

Sean: But why don't you take a stand with Ted Cruz?

Paul: Because we don't have the votes.

Sean: But isn't now the time to take a stand?

Paul: We...We don't have the votes, man.

Sean: So you've got no spine. Great.

And then he hangs up on him and starts a Lifelock commercial. Why does anyone agree to kiss this guy's ring?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This was on the FOX News comment page regarding this article:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/28/house-republicans-meet-to-plot-next-move-as-shutdown-deadline-nears/

lordsaber posted:

Where's Oswald when you need him ?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

So is that grounds enough for the secret service to be paying him a visit?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SpRahl posted:

So is that grounds enough for the secret service to be paying him a visit?

He was talking about The Penguin, obviously.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Sir Tonk posted:

He was talking about The Penguin, obviously.

close enough for a phone call

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Sean: But isn't now the time to take a stand?

Paul: We...We don't have the votes, man.

Sean: So you've got no spine. Great.

Yeah, spines now have senatorial votes! Obamacare would be defeated by like 330-0 in the Senate, because those limpwristed liberals and RINOs (same thing, really - godless commies) obviously lack spines.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Venusian Weasel posted:

Yeah, spines now have senatorial votes! Obamacare would be defeated by like 330-0 in the Senate, because those limpwristed liberals and RINOs (same thing, really - godless commies) obviously lack spines.

This is just an indicator of how the current conservative view is "no compromise, ever." The attitude is literally "you can agree with me or be wrong." It doesn't matter if the current conservative views vomited out of talk radio are supported by a minority of Americans. Majority rules only applies if the majority agrees with Sean Hannity.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
BREAKING NEWS on Fox.

BAD thing is BAD! Unless it is actually good. Then it is GOOD thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjIONROvs-U

Such incredible insight and nuance.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I think that guy's implication was actually something along the lines of "well OBAMACARE is what got Obama into office, so I guess Hillary is gonna use CLINTONCARE to do the same! :rolleyes:". It's still shows a total lack of any concise argument, but at least that would make some sense.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I really wish O'Reily would go away, I don't know why 60 minutes had to feed his ego by doing an interview. He's whining about Obamacare and complaining that X bad things will happen but, X bad things are already happening under our currently lovely system so what's the difference?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Azuth0667 posted:

I really wish O'Reily would go away, I don't know why 60 minutes had to feed his ego by doing an interview. He's whining about Obamacare and complaining that X bad things will happen but, X bad things are already happening under our currently lovely system so what's the difference?

Yeah, I am even annoyed the Daily Show is having him on because its not like Jon hasn't had his piece with the guy already

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Oh joy directly from O'Reily "The holy spirit told me to do this." So god told you to spout propaganda, lie and gently caress over as many people as you can in pursuit of wealth. Watching him back peddle on this is hilarious.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I am even annoyed the Daily Show is having him on because its not like Jon hasn't had his piece with the guy already

Stewart doesn't really understand these people, and he's too fascinated and stunned by them to properly hate them. He also can't seem to get past "These people cannot possibly be serious." It's obvious to most everyone else that they do mean it, and are perfectly serious. Which is why his hands-up-in-the-air and incredulous blank faces get old as hell. Still he puts on a fine show, does some decent journalism, and forming up the vanguard really isn't his job.
I don't see the point of him having on Billo over and over again. They're not the same sort of creatures, no matter how hard Bill pretends to be decent.

Some on the far left don't like what he does at all. I don't agree, but here it is if you want to read it.
http://exiledonline.com/the-rally-to-restore-vanity-generation-x-celebrates-its-homeric-struggle-against-lameness/

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

agarjogger posted:

I don't see the point of him having on Billo over and over again.

Hold down the shift key and type "4".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BILL O'REILY: Killing Irony. Tell your book-club today!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Hold down the shift key and type "4".

If its as simple as that, why doesn't he just keep inviting Robert Pattinson back?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Normally Ed Schultz sort of grates on me, and this is coming from someone who leaves MSNBC on in the background as ambiance, but I was watching when this happened and I cackled like a fiend:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/09/msnbcs-ed-schultz-pitches-healthcaregov-173905.html

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Von Sloneker posted:

Normally Ed Schultz sort of grates on me, and this is coming from someone who leaves MSNBC on in the background as ambiance, but I was watching when this happened and I cackled like a fiend:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/09/msnbcs-ed-schultz-pitches-healthcaregov-173905.html

Fun video, too bad about Byers' snarky tag for it. Between his partisan cheerleading and general lack of critical thinking masquerading as straight media analysis and his whimsical big-head caricature, he is the absolute worst.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Yeah, that whole "SEE MSNBC IS JUST LIKE FOX" thing gives me an eye twitch.

Speaking of media analysis and Fox News (sort of), that network used to have one decent show amid all the crap, Fox News Watch, made tolerable mainly because of the presence of actual liberals (Neal Gabler and before him, Jeff Cohen of FAIR) in a kind of roundtable discussion of the week's news coverage of events. Of course, being Fox, it was weighted to the right, as the other three panelists were a semi-liberal, Jane Hall, and two pure strains of conservatism, the establishment kind, Jim Pinkerton, and the batshitevangelical Christian kind, Cal Thomas. The host was ostensibly "nonpartisan" but I'm fairly sure he would have identified as a conservative.

Fox News Watch is now Howard Kurtz's Media Buzz, apparently, and on its site today's lede is: "Since the brinkmanship could be settled in five minutes if both parties would compromise, it must be in someone’s interest to close the doors for the first time in 17 years." (emphasis mine)

:argh:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I had to crosspost this

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I don't know why, but I immediately thought of:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Ravenfood posted:

I don't know why, but I immediately thought of:

A Clockwork Outrage
Something about Higher Droog Prices
Beethoven's 50th (vote to defund the ACA)
Relentlessly Pursued by a Giant White Dick

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Don't forget how abortion is the liberals secret war against minorities to push their eugenics beliefs.
And the only real discrimination against women is birth control.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

miscellaneous14 posted:

I think that guy's implication was actually something along the lines of "well OBAMACARE is what got Obama into office, so I guess Hillary is gonna use CLINTONCARE to do the same! :rolleyes:". It's still shows a total lack of any concise argument, but at least that would make some sense.
The amazing thing here is that today's GOP has forgotten their own Hillarycare branding.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the GOP Rebuilding thread:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the apex of Fox News spin.

"A shutdown? No sir, what we have here is a slimdown and that's what we all wanted! Hopefully the slimdown never ends! Soldier on, brave patriots!"

This is some incredibly bold truth manipulation and I'm beside myself with incredulous anger here.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 1, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK so I'm confused now. Why would they want to lie about that? Isn't the whole "shut down the government to prevent funding the ACA" thing something FoxNews was in support of?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so I'm confused now. Why would they want to lie about that? Isn't the whole "shut down the government to prevent funding the ACA" thing something FoxNews was in support of?

Foxnews is in a weird place because while it and the rest of the republican propaganda machine are owned and controlled by the main party, there job as of late has been to stoke the fires of rage in the tea party. The former didn't want the shutdown to go ahead because it will hurt their bottom line, but the latter just want's to watch the world burn.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's something they're proud of when talking to the tea party, but extremely fearful of when it comes to a broader populace. So they try to soften the blow with poo poo like that. Just a SLIMDOWN. Just like how the sequester was all roses after that whole "airline delays" thing got ironed out.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Contest begins for what media member is the biggest rear end in a top hat during the shutdown and we may have a winner in Laura Ingrahm

quote:

“The sob stories are going to start coming out. You’ll have camera crews on Veterans’ counseling centers where they’re going to interview; ‘You’re appointment is canceled today. Who do you blame?’ And they’re going to say, well, Washington. But I think the Republicans are going to feel the heat more than the Democrats.” — Laura Ingraham, Fox News contributor

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

IrvingWashington posted:

A Clockwork Outrage

Being the adventures of a young man whose principal interests are pettiness, ultra-partisanship and Ayn Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Contest begins for what media member is the biggest rear end in a top hat during the shutdown and we may have a winner in Laura Ingrahm

It's funny because she's technically right. Some people might blame the Democrats, but they've been holding the moral high ground here for almost the entirety of the event. Mostly by virtue of actually following the intentions behind the democratic process and not capitulating to what was essentially political blackmail put forth by their opposition.

So most people are going to blame the Republicans, who specifically engineered a crisis and then took it to its batshit insane and destructive conclusion when they didn't get their way. And yet, despite that, she says it in such a way that makes it obvious she's an rear end in a top hat with no real capability for empathy or sympathy for the people getting dicked over.

Why am I not surprised it's a Fox News contributor?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 1, 2013