Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

MechaCrash posted:

They didn't burn, either, so you couldn't clear them out with flint and steel.

I actually didn't mind the volcanoes too much, but holy poo poo those trees were horrid. And, of course, you could not turn them off because of her ~*~vision~*~ for things that wound up never getting implemented. She even, as I recall, pulled poo poo like putting the volcanoes (which a lot of people hated) in the machines module (which was a major reason people got the mod) to make sure you played with all the toys in the toybox, including the ones with jaggedy bits that you're pretty sure the cat pissed on.

This is precisely why the "Nocanoe" mod (which I can't find at the moment) exists; to remove the most annoying things (volcanoes and rubber trees, replacing volcanoes with deep basalt deposits) from the otherwise fun toybox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Shukaro posted:

You really shouldn't be using Optifine because A) You probably don't need it anymore and B) It breaks mods at random.

Problem is the complex list of dependencies mods have. Personally I really need only one mod, WorldEdit, but to get worldedit to work and to be able to use it efficiently...

Earlier all mods simply worked with Modloader. Then Mumfrey made his own loader, liteloader, for mod_macros, which is required for hotkeys. All right, liteloader & modloader worked nicely till 1.6.2 came and they stopped working together. I decided to give some time for modders to get stuff working again, and looked at the issue again yesterday.

There was much talk about Forge as a modloader replacement, so out of curiousity I tried that. First installed forge, then liteloader chained to forge. Dropped rei's minimap, toomanyitems, optifine and mod_macros to Minecraft's mods folder and they worked without problems. But how to get WE to work? I couldn't find Forge compatible builds, and SPC didn't seem to work either in mods folder or inside minecraft.jar. I found some weird 5.0dev2 version which should have worked, but didn't. Finally looking at the crash log I had to add -Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true & -Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true to JVM args, because Forge didn't like that I had extracted the SPC files straight to minecraft.jar.

I like optifine because of day/night only modes, depth fog removal, increased draw distance, zoom, mipmapping, cloud height and some other stuff.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Honestly, I don't know why anyone's bothering to even try to hope on RP2 ever being updated. Aside from a cryptic tweet a month ago and a single comment about slowly updating back in June, Eloraam has been utterly silent for six straight months - when there was a bunch of tweets all in one day after a two month silence. At this point, you should really just assemble some replacement mods and go on with your gaming. If you're desperate for RP2 stuff, there's Project: Red, which released a couple of weeks ago, and has the world-gen and redstone wiring/logic/lighting parts of RP2 basically completely replicated (located here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1885652-forge-multipart-164-project-red-an-rp2-replacement-v4026-9242013/). To replace the tubes, go with Logistics Pipes - it's about the closest you'll get. And frankly, I don't know why anyone would want RP2's power system back. It was weird and arcane.

At least those of us hoping for Xycraft have proof Soaryn's actually working on the drat thing - he dev-streams nearly daily.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I'm finally getting off my rear end and starting up this FEZ project, I was wondering if anybody has some good Technic platform modpack reccomendations I could shove Mystcraft, Extra Utilities and Immibis Microblocks into for making an empty void in?

Moog
Sep 14, 2013

Serifina posted:

Honestly, I don't know why anyone's bothering to even try to hope on RP2 ever being updated. Aside from a cryptic tweet a month ago and a single comment about slowly updating back in June, Eloraam has been utterly silent for six straight months - when there was a bunch of tweets all in one day after a two month silence. At this point, you should really just assemble some replacement mods and go on with your gaming. If you're desperate for RP2 stuff, there's Project: Red, which released a couple of weeks ago, and has the world-gen and redstone wiring/logic/lighting parts of RP2 basically completely replicated (located here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1885652-forge-multipart-164-project-red-an-rp2-replacement-v4026-9242013/). To replace the tubes, go with Logistics Pipes - it's about the closest you'll get. And frankly, I don't know why anyone would want RP2's power system back. It was weird and arcane.

At least those of us hoping for Xycraft have proof Soaryn's actually working on the drat thing - he dev-streams nearly daily.

I haven't played with anything UE yet, but of all the others RP2's power system is my favorite. Unfortunately there's not much use for it, though.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Moog posted:

I haven't played with anything UE yet, but of all the others RP2's power system is my favorite. Unfortunately there's not much use for it, though.

UE's power system is awful, anything worth using uses MJ. (Or EU, if you're into IC2, but it's not really needed anymore, what with TE and MFR.)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah UE's power sucks but hey, Missiles. :allears:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
The UE website is so awfully designed I'm lucky to find anything there. What actually uses it aside from Modular Powersuits? I think I saw a version of MFFS that used it, too...

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZyQpTYY6_w

:stare:

Well then, I think that is certainly a interesting direction taking mods.

Very cool of Alexander Bruce to give his grace on it. I wonder if it is the full map/game or if it breaks off into its own direction after the initial "oh poo poo I'm playing Antichamber in MC" factor. Though I do see a lot of later chambers in the trailer.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I haven't installed a mod in quite a while, and I'm having some trouble. I feel like I'm following the instructions correctly, but it keeps reverting back to normal.

I'm trying to add the latest version of Zan's Minimap. I've found the META-INF file under Versions, and I delete it. I've seen two different sets of instructions on where to put the unzipped Zan's files, and I've tried it both ways- into Versions and into the minecraft.jar file. But every time I load up the game, I get no minimap, and when I go back to those files they have reverted back to their original state. What am I doing wrong? One YouTube tutorial has the guy making a copy of his Version files and changing the profile. But wouldn't that wipe out your existing world? Can I not add a minimap to my current game?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Serifina posted:

The UE website is so awfully designed I'm lucky to find anything there. What actually uses it aside from Modular Powersuits? I think I saw a version of MFFS that used it, too...

A few things outside of the UE suite can use it (MFR for one I know offhand) but MPS isn't required to use it - MPS can use MJ or EU just as easily.

Even some of the mods in the UE suite (like Mekanism) don't even meed UE power, you can use MJ and/or EU with them.

New Leaf posted:

I'm trying to add the latest version of Zan's Minimap.

Trying to add it to what? A vanilla 1.6.2 world? Yes you have to create a separate profile for mods, but you should be able to copy your old world over to the new profile.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

m2pt5 posted:

A few things outside of the UE suite can use it (MFR for one I know offhand) but MPS isn't required to use it - MPS can use MJ or EU just as easily.

Even some of the mods in the UE suite (like Mekanism) don't even meed UE power, you can use MJ and/or EU with them.

I don't have anything that even creates UE power that I know of - I have both Thermal Expansion and IC2, so a third kind of power is pretty pointless, and my Powersuits don't need much charging anyway.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Serifina posted:

I don't have anything that even creates UE power that I know of - I have both Thermal Expansion and IC2, so a third kind of power is pretty pointless, and my Powersuits don't need much charging anyway.

With those two mods you can charge powersuits in an Energetic Infuser, MFE or MFSU, and also with IC2 addon charging benches/pads. (If you have Power Converters, the universal charger can function like a charging pad or you can put a chest next to it to charge all chargable items in the chest.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

m2pt5 posted:

With those two mods you can charge powersuits in an Energetic Infuser, MFE or MFSU, and also with IC2 addon charging benches/pads. (If you have Power Converters, the universal charger can function like a charging pad or you can put a chest next to it to charge all chargable items in the chest.)

I usually use the Energetic Infuser to get started, and I have the Powersuit Addons and tend to put all the self-charging modules on.

kerpow
Jan 13, 2006

The best way to charge a powersuit is to put it on a Bibliocraft armor stand and put a universal charger under it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

^^
Edit: That is awesome and I didn't know it worked.

Serifina posted:

I have the Powersuit Addons and tend to put all the self-charging modules on.

If you have problems with overheating quickly while flying, that's caused by the kinetic generator. It recharges the suit really fast, but the heat output is tremendous when moving at high speed.

I usually stick with the solar gen to mitigate power draw and recharge other ways periodically.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 29, 2013

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

kerpow posted:

The best way to charge a powersuit is to put it on a Bibliocraft armor stand and put a universal charger under it.

i had no idea this was a thing! thanks!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

kerpow posted:

Armor stands are banned on the server I play on due to it and power armor crashing people's clients.

Also, that is awesome. I wonder if the sword stand works with moss'ed tinker tools.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

kerpow posted:

That is awesome. I'll keep that in mind!

m2pt5 posted:

^^
Edit: That is awesome and I didn't know it worked.

If you have problems with overheating quickly while flying, that's caused by the kinetic generator. It recharges the suit really fast, but the heat output is tremendous when moving at high speed.

I usually stick with the solar gen to mitigate power draw and recharge other ways periodically.

Actually, I have more heat problems when using sprint jumping when they're maxed. Flight has yet to be an issue for me, even long-distance.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I have no problems with power armor heat problems. I just slap the cooling system on the chestpiece and set it to maximum. As someone one who hops and flies everywhere, uses force fields for armor, neither power nor heat is a problem when I have both the suit solar generator and the kinetic generator.

kerpow
Jan 13, 2006

Power suits cool based on biome so heat issues in the nether or desert might not be an issue in a rainstorm or snowy biome. My suits that only overheat when using a railgun still overheat when casually flying in the nether.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Is there a way to get an infinite-energy version of the powersuit for adventure map purposes, or would a small jump boost and fall-dampening boots be a negligible energy drop if a solar panel was also installed?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's what I've got installed in my power suit. Really hard to run out of energy that way.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

Pidmon posted:

Is there a way to get an infinite-energy version of the powersuit for adventure map purposes, or would a small jump boost and fall-dampening boots be a negligible energy drop if a solar panel was also installed?

A solar panel module on the helmet would work. If you don't want that, you could also use the kinetic generator in the leggings, but that might cause cooling issues.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pidmon posted:

You can edit the cost of every function in the configs. You should be able to safely set everything to 0. Alternatively, just edit the kinetic generator to generate enormous amounts of energy every step.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Alternatively, just edit the kinetic generator to generate enormous amounts of energy every step.

Is heat generation tied to energy generation, or independent? If it's the former, well...

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Unless the configs have changed it's independant and a changeable setting as well. For every component you can change basically every value so you can remove all of the heat generation from modules or make every module not use power.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
For anyone wanting to put 1.6 packs on the platform, the Technic Launcher will go into a beta today for 1.6+ support. As soon as its determined it is stable then the platform will allow 1.6+ packs.

If you're wondering why it has taken so long, I rewrote the entire back end to the launcher and pulled it out from the GUI to act like the new Minecraft launcher that came with 1.6. This means hopefully much better support for past versions + new versions such that it is less hassle every update.

It also means there isn't much left of the Spoutcraft fork that I had so it's a lot more maintainable code, and it also also means that the GUI can safely be updated/revamped without worrying about the back end since they are decoupled now.

I'll post in here or KakerMix will when we fully launch the new launcher + platform support for 1.6+.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

General Olloth posted:

For anyone wanting to put 1.6 packs on the platform, the Technic Launcher will go into a beta today for 1.6+ support. As soon as its determined it is stable then the platform will allow 1.6+ packs.

If you're wondering why it has taken so long, I rewrote the entire back end to the launcher and pulled it out from the GUI to act like the new Minecraft launcher that came with 1.6. This means hopefully much better support for past versions + new versions such that it is less hassle every update.

It also means there isn't much left of the Spoutcraft fork that I had so it's a lot more maintainable code, and it also also means that the GUI can safely be updated/revamped without worrying about the back end since they are decoupled now.

I'll post in here or KakerMix will when we fully launch the new launcher + platform support for 1.6+.

How long do you reckon it will take for 1.7?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

How long do you reckon it will take for 1.7?

1.7 support will be available when 1.7 releases more than likely. The way I rewrote the backend it should work for all future versions of minecraft OR be very very easy to update support.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

General Olloth posted:

1.7 support will be available when 1.7 releases more than likely. The way I rewrote the backend it should work for all future versions of minecraft OR be very very easy to update support.

Cool! My main fear with 1.7 is how long it'll take for my favourite mods to update to it. We're not really expecting thaumcraft 4 before christmas.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Cool! My main fear with 1.7 is how long it'll take for my favourite mods to update to it. We're not really expecting thaumcraft 4 before christmas.

Right, the launcher should be 1.7 capable waaaaay before the mods are updated.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Just wanna say thanks Olloth and crew for the work you put in for my blocks. :3:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

General Olloth posted:

This is the best news I've read all month, thank you for your hard work!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

fondue posted:

This is the best news I've read all month, thank you for your hard work!

Technic is the technology of peace!

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, I have done some experiments on the toasty server with atomic science. The lack of documentation may shock you!

Fusion Reactors are easily self sustaining and generate an obscene amount of power. I use the standard "turbine sitting directly on top of water" style. However, since our pack removed electrical expansion, I use Redstone Energy conduits off the turbines to output power.

I send the power to a battery room of redstone energy cells that feed along a single conduit to all other machines, branching this way or that to whatever I need to power. It is intensive but it allows a single line to carry a great deal of power. The batteries were also what allowed me to remove the biofuel generators I had before the fusion, place the fusion and power it up all without shutting anything down.

5 fusion reactors can be sustained by only 7 chemical extractors producing deuterium. Deuterium is super easy because a single properly configured engineers' toolbox can produce more water per tick than they will use and only need a liquiduct input. The extractors can also be attached via redstone energy conduits.

Then you obviously need something to auto-product empty cells (4 tin ingots to 16 empty cells). An ME network helps, significantly.

This was all rather mundane, so then I decided a 116 long particle accelerator should be built. LHC style. So 116x116. And as luck would have it, why not build two for double the cost. So I stacked one on top of the other.

After plugging in the particle accelerator to the ME network, (firing iron ingots for giggles, might as well make it gold), and plugging it into the redstone energy conduit, it didn't work. It said failed. I found out that placing the block wrong will get a "failed" notice. After clicking just right, it goes to "idle". (usually you have to be looking directly at the aperture that the particle will fire into, and place the accelerator just outside it (so you can connect your cables)).

Once idle, I could put a lever on it and pull it, but clicking on the block doesn't provide real-time updates. Removing the lever and placing a redstone block results in a real-time update of acceleration, energy used, etc on the block. More bad UE coding? maybe. I'm using redstone blocks for the time being.

So then I figured, job well done, got a wee bit of antimatter, time to back this poo poo up. Log out, save, stop.

Log back in, stops accelerating at 38%. What the gently caress. I go to the area, for fucks sake the particles I had been shooting blasted open a huge cave. Little holes carved every which-way. Lesson learned: Don't leave the particle accelerator on when the server is shutdown. Fine.

Fixed, logout, save stop. power-on server, come back a few hours later expecting antimatter. Nothing. So the particle is supposed to chunkload the chunk it is in as it passes through, If a player is logged in. The dev didn't mention the last part. If the player logs out, the particle accelerator will chew up power, and keep firing particles, but never complete the task. The whole track needs to be chunkloaded. So I researched linear particle accelerators and decided to make a tunnel big enough to build 4 with plenty of access corridor space.

Hours pass, the whole thing is built to the 628 blocks it is supposed to be, according to the dev. Whoops. guess not. If you are powering via MJ it only gets to around 94% then stops. I had to extend it to over 700 blocks to get it to 100% and generate antimatter. I also ended up using chunkloaders along the entire route, using an X axis chunkloading as everything was built in a single chunk line.

tl;dr: Linear particle accelerators are less of a pain to setup than LHC style accelerators, and you can fit a bunch in a small space. 700 blocks gets you 100% and guaranteed antimatter. It takes constant power via MJ which is 200kw? at 120v/tick. I have no idea what that is in normal power consumption. Also, don't shutdown a server with one running. Also also: chunkload everything.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Olloth posted:

This is fantastic! You've beaten FtB to the punch.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Last I new toast was tuned so that turbines put out like 10 times more energy than default. On default settings fusion reactors still can be power positive, but it take a lot more work.

When I last used them it was way more mat efficient to run a LHC style accelerator than a liner one. I want to say 50 radius LCH is all your need.

As where for energy efficiency you want a liner.

The best power solution I found was 5 red stone energy cells hooked up in parallel. Using Universal cable or PC converting to UE and running on superconductors. For me the accelerator would randomly decide to stop taking energy from RSC until broken and replaced.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

kerpow posted:

Power suits cool based on biome so heat issues in the nether or desert might not be an issue in a rainstorm or snowy biome. My suits that only overheat when using a railgun still overheat when casually flying in the nether.

Oh, I know that. First trip into either the nether or a desert will teach you that you need power/cooling for power suits. My current base is sitting on the border of a desert and extreme hills jungle, yet I have no heat problem when bouncing across the sand like a spastic mutant kangaroo. Honestly, setting the leg's kinetic generator to max power production and the chest's AC system to max power usage will keep you nice and cool and generating plenty of excess power unless you're doing something like firing the railgun at full-auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just wanted to let everyone know that 1.6 support and the re-write of the back-end of the Technic launcher is Olloth's swan song. He's been offered a job at Amazon. To recap, that makes two former Technic developers getting hired by Amazon. They should really be paying us a finders fee :getin:

Technic will steam ahead, rest assured!

• Locked thread