Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

dancehall posted:

O_O

Just how many multi-effect pedals do you have experience with?

I actually have a zoom 508 digital delay that sounds pretty drat good and is insanely flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

HollisBrown posted:

I actually have a zoom 508 digital delay that sounds pretty drat good and is insanely flexible.

I'm not necessarily saying that Zoom pedals are crap per se, but to apply the word "best" to them in any situation is kinda unbelievable to me.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Panterica posted:

Any recommendations for a chorus, flanger, and tuner? I was considering getting a multi-effects, but those three in addition to a wah I already own are the only effects I need. I've got 4 ESP's with EMG's going into a Mesa Mark V.

I've got a Boss CE-5 Chorus pedal that I really dig. I wanted a chorus for that Robert Smith of the Cure sound and he uses a ton of Boss pedals. I think I A/B'd it against a Boss CH chorus and ended up preferring the CE.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I just rewired my pedalboard and just thought I'd share how glorious it is (not really, it's ugly but functional).

Edit: Note the Joyo pedals. They own.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 30, 2013

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

dancehall posted:

O_O

Just how many multi-effect pedals do you have experience with?

dancehall posted:

I'm not necessarily saying that Zoom pedals are crap per se, but to apply the word "best" to them in any situation is kinda unbelievable to me.

Sorry if I was unclear. When I meant loving around with, I literally meant opening up the sucker and loving around with the circuit board. Short circuiting and rewiring stuff. It is pretty easy to make cool things happen when doing that with a zoom for a multitude of reasons as opposed to some other multifx pedals. Using a zoom pedal straight up is pretty garbage in most cases.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zoom G series is pretty solid. Their older poo poo is horrendous.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The Tri Metal is alright for what it does. There's a reason it goes for a pretty penny on ebay.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 30, 2013

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

A friend gave me a TS9DX for my birthday, I just run it on TS9 but man I love the sound I get out of my amp with it. Now I just need an actual clean boost.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

The Tri Metal is alright for what it does. There's a reason it goes for a pretty penny on ebay.

The 508 Digital Delays also go for $300 plus sometimes on Ebay. I guess they were used on a famous recording "Sounds Like Shadows" I think. There are sites where you can set it up for the sounds like this one here http://www.shadowsland.freeserve.co.uk/

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Noise Machine posted:

A friend gave me a TS9DX for my birthday, I just run it on TS9 but man I love the sound I get out of my amp with it. Now I just need an actual clean boost.

Edit: I'm dumb, they are just good at reproducing that sound.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Noise Machine posted:

I've been utterly thrilled with my EP Boost I bought recently.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

comes along bort posted:

I'm probably going to sell a Tri Metal if anyone is a fan.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

The 508 Digital Delays also go for $300 plus sometimes on Ebay. I guess they were used on a famous recording "Sounds Like Shadows" I think. There are sites where you can set it up for the sounds like this one here http://www.shadowsland.freeserve.co.uk/

Now that's crazy. Any cheap digital delay with a slapback feature will make you sound like Hank Marvin. At least the Tri Metal, as overpriced as it is used, is still half the price of all the boutique pedals that basically ripped off that sound.

Panterica
Oct 24, 2003
Has anyone used the Mesa/Boogie Throttle Box or any of their newest pedals? I'm using Mark V combo and would like something to add a bit of distortion on channels 1 and 2.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Have you experimented with different preamp tubes? Sometimes that's all it takes to get more gain.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I need a dedicated sampler that can replicate what a Line 6 DL-4 does, but I need it in a sturdier package. I've got an Eventide Timefactor, but I don't know how to make that do DL-4 type things because I am dumb (and also because it's got a sticky switch that I don't want to stomp on).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Looking for opinions on Way Huge Green Rhino vs Maxon OD808. I've been using both lately as boosts and a normal ods and I'm having a rough time choosing which I want to keep around. The Maxon is very tight and punchy but gets thin sometimes, even when used as a boost before gain. The GR is incredibly natural sounding and tweakable but I don't care for most of the tones I get from it. The ability to completely control the bottom end rules but I'm not sure how useful that's going to be once I get my Dual Terror, using a XXX combo now. Obvious answer is keep both but I want to keep my pedalboard clear and full of distinct pedals.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Didn't think you really needed an od for a XXX. Those things are already tight enough as is.

I'm happy with my OD808. It doesn't suck as much low end as a TS808 or SD-1.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

comes along bort posted:

Didn't think you really needed an od for a XXX. Those things are already tight enough as is.

I'm happy with my OD808. It doesn't suck as much low end as a TS808 or SD-1.

I'm actually using the clean channel with od->od->rocktron zombie. I know. It's a mixture of the distortion channel being hosed and me doing things all weird.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm actually using the clean channel with od->od->rocktron zombie. I know. It's a mixture of the distortion channel being hosed and me doing things all weird.

You wanna talk weird, this dude ran a bunch of distortion pedals into a cheap PA amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTellLC5Djk

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
OD chat: I want to tell you all about how much I fuggin love, love, love my Earthquaker White Light. I was pretty torn between it and various tube screamer mods/clones and this one just sold me on flexibility. The compression switch is very handy and natural sounding...didn't think I'd actually use it but I do. I have it placed after my fuzz and my turbo rat and it plays very nicely with both of those in that chain order for solos. It's a blast on it's own as well for some less in-your-face-melting dirt than those pedals. Try one if you haven't.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I just recently got a rack, and am looking for a way to cheaply populate it. For me this means buying old used gear, but much of it classifies as "vintage" or some poo poo and goes for way too much money. Is there any lesser known gear I could go for that would offer similar performance to the legendary stuff like Lexicon etc.? How good/bad is the Behringer rack stuff?

Mainly, I am looking for multi effects to hook my synths up to, but general stuff like dynamics processors or anything that will help to fatten up sounds is fair game.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

snorch posted:

I just recently got a rack, and am looking for a way to cheaply populate it. For me this means buying old used gear, but much of it classifies as "vintage" or some poo poo and goes for way too much money. Is there any lesser known gear I could go for that would offer similar performance to the legendary stuff like Lexicon etc.? How good/bad is the Behringer rack stuff?

Mainly, I am looking for multi effects to hook my synths up to, but general stuff like dynamics processors or anything that will help to fatten up sounds is fair game.

Yamaha's SPX series is pretty highly regarded but like all vintage digital effects it's going to sound super processed (and possibly dated depending on which effects you use). If you can find it, Echopet delays are analog and sound fantastic (80's Japanese stuff) and tend to go for under $100.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Anyone able to give me a pro/con for either putting together a Voodoo Ground Control Pro + GCX Audio Switcher versus a traditional pedalboard for guitar work? It seems to be a very easy 'Go with the GCP for simplistic operation' but I'd like to make sure.

A big pro of the GCP is being easier to loop my time/mod pedals through the effects loop while keeping my fuzz/boost/wah and stuff in front of the preamp. I don't have any non-True Bypass pedals at the moment, so that's not a big thing. I DO like being able to insert and control my old Digitech preamp (it's pure 80s/90s goodness, but has the best delay/reverb I've ever heard) in the chain too.

Dunno which I'd rather do at this point, I kind of dig the idea of playing with the MIDI setup and it certainly looks cool. Plus, it seems like it'd be easier to reconfigure when/if I add/change pedals and gear, which tends to happen versus on a regular pedalboard.

Primary use is gigging in a cover band doing 80s/90s/00s metal/hair.

It'll be a LITTLE more expensive to do the GCP/GCX system, but not horrendously so, based on used prices and what's on eBay currently.

Thoughts?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I got a vintage rat the other day and its the first time I've been 99% happy with pedal based distortion. My only issue is the bass drop - I can eq it back but then my dry sound is too bassy, so I'm going to try putting a bigger input cap in. Anyone have experience modding a rat?

Also, what is the modulation all over Disintegration by The Cure? Some sort of chorus and a phaser? I'm guessing a small stone but only because its the only phaser I ever see used.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

field balm posted:

Also, what is the modulation all over Disintegration by The Cure? Some sort of chorus and a phaser? I'm guessing a small stone but only because its the only phaser I ever see used.

Roland jazz chorus with the stereo chorus engaged, with a bunch of Boss chorus and flanger pedals, and high pass the hell out of all your guitars.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Noise Machine posted:

Roland jazz chorus with the stereo chorus engaged, with a bunch of Boss chorus and flanger pedals, and high pass the hell out of all your guitars.

Ah of course it's a jc, thanks. Now that you say that I am hearing lots and lots of flanger, might just pick up some lovely digital thing for modulation - I don't think I'd use it much outside of Cure worship.

I always wonder why high-pass filters for guitar aren't more popular* - I like to run one on my clean (well less dirty) channel all the time. I built a modified big muff tone circuit (mod is removing the scooped freq response so it's just flat with low or high shelves) in a box just for this, it's not super steep but does the job. It's like 5 components excluding jacks if anyone is interested!

E: *in writing this I realized this is because most amps have separate eq's for each channel and i'm pov/lofi.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

snorch posted:

Tieing this in to rat-chat from above see if you can locate an R2DU. It's basically two rats in a rack case with separate inputs/outputs and a dedicated foot switch. Should be good for fattening/dirtying things up. The separate inputs/outputs mean you can stick it in two different places in your signal chain.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

snorch posted:

The Behringer REV2496 is a hidden gem, and is well worth the money in my opinion. It is a dual engine device (meaning two different FX paths) and you can set it up with two mono sends to different effects, summing at the stereo out. pretty neat. Decent display and nice push encoders too. Analog and digital ins and outs, MIDI control, errything. Oh, and some very nice thick reverbs and good delays,among other effects.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Noise Machine posted:

Sorry for being an idiot, but can you tell me what 'high pass the hell' out of a guitar would mean?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

forever whatever posted:

Sorry for being an idiot, but can you tell me what 'high pass the hell' out of a guitar would mean?

A high-pass filter is a filter that will knock out any frequencies past a certain frequency. Usually for "rock guitar" you would apply the cutoff from 80 to 100 hz but it's just a rule of thumb. For that Robert Smith sound he bumps it up towards the 140-200 hz range, so a lot of the low-end doesn't exist anymore. It really helps to get the guitars to "float" a little better over everything.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
I don't think I would ever use an hp filter on guitar. I like my guitars bassy and my basses guitary.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
For my live PA, I have bass patches set up with everything from highpass shelves around 2k for weird washy pads all the way down to extreme 50 hertz high resonance filters for subs that only work over like a four half-step range without retuning. Filtering can add a bunch of versatility to your toolbox.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Noise Machine posted:

A high-pass filter is a filter that will knock out any frequencies past a certain frequency. Usually for "rock guitar" you would apply the cutoff from 80 to 100 hz but it's just a rule of thumb. For that Robert Smith sound he bumps it up towards the 140-200 hz range, so a lot of the low-end doesn't exist anymore. It really helps to get the guitars to "float" a little better over everything.

I've never heard that he does this before, and I find it odd that he would since he uses a Bass VI on a good number of songs, so why would he cut out the low end?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

I've never heard that he does this before, and I find it odd that he would since he uses a Bass VI on a good number of songs, so why would he cut out the low end?

He uses the strangle switch on the VI, which is a built in HPF. It's all about avoiding mud and letting the bass sit at the bottom of the mix without having the guitar interfere.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

He uses the strangle switch on the VI, which is a built in HPF. It's all about avoiding mud and letting the bass sit at the bottom of the mix without having the guitar interfere.

He also plays REALLY high on the Bass VI, like a lot of Disintergration/Wish era stuff has nothing lower than the open G string, so he's not getting a lot of low-end out of it anyway.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I use an MXR 10-band EQ to high-pass my guitar sound, and I like to keep a fair amount of low end. I have the bottom two sliders (31 and 62 Hz) all the way down, and 125 down a few db. This went a long way toward compensating for my fairly dark amp; made it a lot easier to be heard in a band setting. It works well on bass instruments too; it can enhance the clarity of the fundamental and increase "punch" and other scientific tone attributes. High-pass filters: Not just for high-pitched things.

field balm posted:

I built a modified big muff tone circuit (mod is removing the scooped freq response so it's just flat with low or high shelves) in a box just for this, it's not super steep but does the job. It's like 5 components excluding jacks if anyone is interested!

I am very interested in this. I've been thinking about eventually using a pedal for reverb, and I was trying to think of ways to give myself controllable filters like I would use when mixing a track. The best idea I had (I think) was to buy a decent pedal and stick it in its own parallel loop after a box like you're describing. If I was really clever I'd find a way to add a roll-off control as well.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anybody try out Digitech's iStomp pedal? They're currently offering all but one of their IAP pedals for free, which makes for 45 different ones you can use now. It runs $90 on Amazon now, so seems like it might be good if there's good pedals in there.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Makes a pretty good reverb for me. Great for mucking about, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

duckfarts posted:

Anybody try out Digitech's iStomp pedal? They're currently offering all but one of their IAP pedals for free, which makes for 45 different ones you can use now. It runs $90 on Amazon now, so seems like it might be good if there's good pedals in there.

I played with one last year when a friend brought it over. I found the pedal models to be about the same as what was industry standard for digital modelling at the time. They reminded me of the fender Mustang modelling amp effects, which isn't a dig at all. They may have updated the pedal models in the mean time, because they obviously can as technology gets better where they are just apps.

I guess you can demo pedal patches for 5 min to try them out before you buy. That's a huge deal. The only real risk you take is the hardware cost at that point.