Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I just checked on upgrading my wife's G'Nex to a 5S on VZW.com and the "EMAIL & WEB UNLIMITED $29.99" still shows up under data packages.

Edit: Just upgraded her line to a 5S and kept unlimited data. We'll see if this order flies or not. Also I had no option to use the VERIZON30 coupon

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm back from the store with my phone. No mess or fuss, my receipt still says unlimited.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Well, this kind of sucks for everyone who just recently upgraded their phones.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, this kind of sucks for everyone who just recently upgraded their phones.

No poo poo, especially if you upgraded last week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

benisntfunny posted:

No poo poo, especially if you upgraded last week.

You can always return if you are within 14 days and repurchase.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bull3964 posted:

You can always return if you are within 14 days and repurchase.

Yeah I'm going to call Monday and ask very nicely for them not to force me to do that.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
I'm super confused...what just happened??

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cuedotcom posted:

I'm super confused...what just happened??

An (assumed) glitch in the system is letting people upgrade to a new phone and keep unlimited.

It certainly does work (I did it) and it's minimal risk because trying to take this away would mean they would have to have a ton of used devices being returned.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
Just upgraded my wife's Droid 1 to a 5s, kept the unlimited & 450 talk minutes, but had to switch from 500 txt msgs + unlimited M2M (whatever that means) to a flat 1000 messages for the same price. That should be a non-issue, since she doesn't text to that extent and texts between us will go through Apple anyway.

I had a bit of a scare, since the offer to keep your current plan is dependent on the path you take on the website. When I selected "upgrade your phone" it was there, but then for some reason I restarted and took an alternate path of choosing the phone I wanted first, I didn't have the unlimited data option.

She probably would have been fine moving to the 6GB special plan, but I was being stubborn and paranoid about losing unlimited before this offer. I was planning on giving her my 4s when I upgraded through my corporate account (which doesn't have unlimited, but which I also don't pay for so who cares).

I sure hope this goes through, it almost feels like a too good to be true scenario.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, I just tried and the poppup plainly alerted me to the fact that unlimited no longer exists. Nor was it a listed option on the following page.

Edit: Where/when can you utilize the "VERIZON30" coupon code on the verizon site?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 29, 2013

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Ordered a Galaxy S4 through the "Upgrade Your Phone" Option and was able to keep my original plan with unlimited email & web for smartphones. Only thing that changed was what was posted above 1000 text messages plan.

Says it will ship today so we'll see!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I am able to add the DROID MAXX to my cart and retain unlimited data, but the VERIZON30 code doesn't work for me (there is a promo box at the bottom of the page where you confirm the device before going to checkout) What was that supposed to do?

Super tempted to pull the trigger on the upgrade from my GNex...

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So basically aftet all this time they are refunding us the bullshit activation charge in the form of a coupon?

:v:

One can only imagine how much they made from fleecing people in the first place. :magical:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

kensei posted:

(there is a promo box at the bottom of the page where you confirm the device before going to checkout)

Looked at each page before continuing yet still am not seeing this promo box.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
The woman on the phone told me it was impossible to do but when I asked her to try anyway she said "It works but I don't think it will stay" so here's hoping.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kensei posted:

Super tempted to pull the trigger on the upgrade from my GNex...

If you are on a Galaxy Nexus, absolutely jump on it.

This thing is noticeably faster than my HD MAXX, the Gnex is a dinosaur by comparison.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

If you are on a Galaxy Nexus, absolutely jump on it.

This thing is noticeably faster than my HD MAXX, the Gnex is a dinosaur by comparison.

I went for it, but no dice for me. The features page lists that unlimited will be removed.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I just tried to upgrade our two iPhone 4s with unlimited to iPhone 5s with unlimited and it wasn't an option and gave me a pop-up when checking out that said "Your data selection is no longer offered" and tried to get me to select 2gb for 30 dollars.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, it looks like they closed the hole. Was looking to buy a 5S for my wife and keep her unlimited, I started in on it earlier today but got sidetracked by my kid. Came back now and I also get the message that the data plan was no longer an option. Should've done it earlier.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Loophole is closed now. Oh well, I am not in a hurry.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Eh.

Changed my mind again. Ordered a iPhone 5s on my wife's dumb phone upgrade, to be canceled and moved to my unlimited line. Not in a horrible hurry so opted for the gold which is showing as 11/11 shipping.

Going from my GNexus to the iPhone, so I have to figure out what needs to be done SIM card wise.
What option have I besides physically cutting the old sim down to the nano size?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 30, 2013

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Well that's pretty awesome if anyone was able to slip through the cracks.

bull post your feedback/usage on the phone after you get it in your hot little hand. Likes/dislikes etc

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

As long as they don't close the transfer upgrade loophole, I don't care.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cuedotcom posted:

Well that's pretty awesome if anyone was able to slip through the cracks.

bull post your feedback/usage on the phone after you get it in your hot little hand. Likes/dislikes etc

I've had it in my hot massive hands since this afternoon. I did in store pickup.

I never felt that my HD MAXX was slow, but the Droid MAXX is a shitton faster. It just flies at everything it does.

The screen, though being the same resolution, is not pentile and you can tell. It's a noticeable upgrade over the HD MAXX.

I can already tell that active notifications are going to be the next "massive battery" feature to me, something my next phone will have to have. They are slick as hell. I also like how the phone automatically lights the screen and displays the time when you disturb it. You just have to pull it out of your pocket and the time is right there with a lock icon you can use to get into the phone. You can get away with not touching the power button at all.

Always listening Google now works and works well. Even in my car, it could understand me.

It's even closer to stock than my HD MAXX. The normal lock screen is completely stock with widget capability. The settings icons are all back to the monochrome stock look. Gone is the quick settings screen to the left of the home screen from the last generation. The quick settings are up in the notification shade like stock and you get the normal 5 home screens. Even the messaging app is back to stock ( as far as I can tell.)

Yet, for as stock as it is, there are enhancements sprinkled in. The Transfer app worked well to move my text messages and misc stuff from my old phone all over WiFi. There's a battery saver mode you can toggle on that restricts background data (not that I think I would ever need it.) There's a chrome extension that shows text and call notifications on your computer and let's you send new messages. There's also a remote wipe capability through Motorola.

It's works well with my LG wireless charging puck that I bought for my Nexus 7.

It's an extremely well polished device. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

I nabbed a Galaxy Note 3 preorder while the system was extending unlimited data availability. If anyone needs a receipt for arguing with VZW reps, here's mine, sans personal information:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

As long as they don't close the transfer upgrade loophole, I don't care.

They closed the loophole early on Sunday.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So basically aftet all this time they are refunding us the bullshit activation charge in the form of a coupon?

:v:

One can only imagine how much they made from fleecing people in the first place. :magical:

what? refunding activation fees?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I've had it in my hot massive hands since this afternoon. I did in store pickup.

I never felt that my HD MAXX was slow, but the Droid MAXX is a shitton faster. It just flies at everything it does.

The screen, though being the same resolution, is not pentile and you can tell. It's a noticeable upgrade over the HD MAXX.

I can already tell that active notifications are going to be the next "massive battery" feature to me, something my next phone will have to have. They are slick as hell. I also like how the phone automatically lights the screen and displays the time when you disturb it. You just have to pull it out of your pocket and the time is right there with a lock icon you can use to get into the phone. You can get away with not touching the power button at all.

Always listening Google now works and works well. Even in my car, it could understand me.

It's even closer to stock than my HD MAXX. The normal lock screen is completely stock with widget capability. The settings icons are all back to the monochrome stock look. Gone is the quick settings screen to the left of the home screen from the last generation. The quick settings are up in the notification shade like stock and you get the normal 5 home screens. Even the messaging app is back to stock ( as far as I can tell.)

Yet, for as stock as it is, there are enhancements sprinkled in. The Transfer app worked well to move my text messages and misc stuff from my old phone all over WiFi. There's a battery saver mode you can toggle on that restricts background data (not that I think I would ever need it.) There's a chrome extension that shows text and call notifications on your computer and let's you send new messages. There's also a remote wipe capability through Motorola.

It's works well with my LG wireless charging puck that I bought for my Nexus 7.

It's an extremely well polished device. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

How do you feel about the software buttons on the bottom of the phone? (Switch from onscreen buttons from the MAXX HD) Android phones that don't have the onscreen buttons really grinds my gears. I'm ocd about them being accessible with my right hand when I use landscape mode. (I do a lot and im right handed). From what I can see that's the only reason I haven't paid cash for this beast. And VoLTE (N5 holdout?) Moto's X8 CPU structure seems very efficient and I'm not surprise it feels snappier. I'm sure the 2GB-o-ram is quite noticeable as well. Are you disappointed the screen isn't 1080? And is the no SD card really a big deal to you?

Have you done a full LTE burn? If so what was your onscreen time/battery life expectancy from 100%-0% ? (10-12?)

I'm also interested in the camera, just out of curiosity. I'm not huge on having the best shooter on a handset. Always curious about HDR and low light shots though.

Rant off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Eh.

Changed my mind again. Ordered a iPhone 5s on my wife's dumb phone upgrade, to be canceled and moved to my unlimited line. Not in a horrible hurry so opted for the gold which is showing as 11/11 shipping.

Going from my GNexus to the iPhone, so I have to figure out what needs to be done SIM card wise.
What option have I besides physically cutting the old sim down to the nano size?
Walk into a Verizon store and ask for a nano SIM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cuedotcom posted:

How do you feel about the software buttons on the bottom of the phone? (Switch from onscreen buttons from the MAXX HD) Android phones that don't have the onscreen buttons really grinds my gears. I'm ocd about them being accessible with my right hand when I use landscape mode. (I do a lot and im right handed).

I honestly don't care either way. I'm not sure why you would think it would affect your use in the right hand in landscape mode. Functionality is the same as the on screen buttons and unless Google decides to change up the layout again, I really can't see why anyone would be for or against capacitance buttons unless they really need the front of their phone to be a completely black slate when off or cared about the icons rotating so they were face up in landscape mode. One thing I HAVE noticed is I can see more stuff on screen than I could with my HD MAXX and that's directly attributable to not having the buttons on screen. As far as the menu overflow button, that's configurable. You can either have it show up above the button row or map it to a long press to the task switcher button.

quote:

And VoLTE (N5 holdout?)

N5 isn't going to be on Verizon so there's not much to worry about there. As far as VoLTE, it would be nice to have and I'll have to evaluate when it comes out how much I value the feature and act accordingly.

quote:

Moto's X8 CPU structure seems very efficient and I'm not surprise it feels snappier. I'm sure the 2GB-o-ram is quite noticeable as well. Are you disappointed the screen isn't 1080? And is the no SD card really a big deal to you?

The 2gb of ram is a huge asset and I'm glad to have it. I'm sure that's a big chunk of the snappiness. I also know that the I/O, GPU, and just general cpu are going to be a bit faster than what I came from. The thing that struck me is was never able to make the phone slow down or stutter.

Screen doesn't matter to much at this point. Comparison to a SGS4 doesn't yield as big a difference as you would think due to pentile vs non-pentile. The G2 and HTC one remain kings in the display department, but the difference in DPI still isn't that great that I care much about it. I can't see the individual pixels and even the smallest text is well rendered, so things are fine.

quote:

Have you done a full LTE burn? If so what was your onscreen time/battery life expectancy from 100%-0% ? (10-12?)

I really haven't had it long enough yet. All I can say on that front so far is it was 45% out of the box, I re-installed all my apps (over wifi) and re-setup all my applications and played around with it a bit and it finally died around 3hr 50min of screen on time. Today will be the first day I will use it from 100%. I'm just going to use it as normal and see where it gets me, I'm not planning on doing a full burn trying to drain it or anything.

quote:

I'm also interested in the camera, just out of curiosity. I'm not huge on having the best shooter on a handset. Always curious about HDR and low light shots though.

I'm really not going to get into the camera until the Moto X patch filters down to this Droid lineup. The difference was so dramatic that I don't see as there's much point. The only thing I can really say is it's on par with the HD MAXX camera right now and I know it will get better.

Would I pay retail price for this phone given I was only coming from the last generation one? Before I got it, I would have said "no." After having it, it's harder to say. It has impressed me so far more than I would have expected.

Ultimately, the choice to jump on the glitch was an easy one though. I can get nearly as much for my HD MAXX as I paid for the subsidized upgrade. So, since that is nearly a wash price-wise, my situation doesn't change for the future. On contract or off contract, I'm still faced with paying full retail for a phone to upgrade from this one, I'm really not out more money either way. What I've basically done is buy myself some more time and get on a phone that will be viable longer without really outlaying more cash. The only thing that can be looked on as a negative is that I'm not on contract for Verizon until September of 2015. Who knows, maybe T-Mobile will have a decent network by then.

The only variable at this point is will Verizon do anything about people who took the glitch. I CAN see them cancelling the orders of those who haven't gotten their phones yet. However, for those who got in-store pickup, the situation is murkier. Changing anything at this point would involve breaking the contract and seeing as how I don't think they want to process a ton of phone returns while not getting a restocking fee, I can't imagine they would do much of anything. The amount of data I use is the amount of data I use regardless and if they wanted to have a definitive cutoff date for unlimited data, they always have the option of breaking the contract down the line to do so.

Time will tell, but my account still says unlimited and I haven't heard a peep out of Verizon.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ProjektorBoy posted:

Yeah, I noticed the "glitch" or whatever was fixed, but I'm talking about the ability to transfer an upgrade from my unlimited line to one of my others, use it, then move the phone without losing unlimited.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Bought the G2 for my wife, saving my upgrade for what may come.

I removed all the bloat, adjusted the notifications area to be a streamlined beast, and let her configure the rest.
The only issue so far was using the old sim from her original phone, vs the new one, but a quick swap got that all working.

Sure, there are some annoyances with notification lights and the such, but she is loving the features. The quick remote is pretty cool and nifty. If her phone proves to be a beast, ill root it and throw on one of the better roms out there.

The camera is really a work of art, and the battery life is leaps and bounds better then her old phone.

Is my wife missing the 'pure' android experience? Probably, but she doesnt care, the phone works for her and does what she expects.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

ProjektorBoy posted:

People need to differentiate between the upgrade transfer and the bug that happened this weekend allowing unlimited.

XIII posted:

Yeah, I noticed the "glitch" or whatever was fixed, but I'm talking about the ability to transfer an upgrade from my unlimited line to one of my others, use it, then move the phone without losing unlimited.

The clueless people at our local walmart told me that using them to upgrade any of the lines would cause the unlimited to go away.
The people at the local verizon store (not corporate) said that moving the upgrade from my unlimited line to another would kill the unlimited.

Really don't know who to believe.

What I did was use the existing upgrade from my wife's line to order the 5s. When the phone gets here in november I'll activate on her line, then kill the data plan on it. Then restore her dumb phone to that line and then use the 5s on my unlimited.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 30, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

Walk into a Verizon store and ask for a nano SIM.

OK, then what? Doesn't affect my plan or anything? Just pop it into my new 5s and then...?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

OK, then what? Doesn't affect my plan or anything? Just pop it into my new 5s and then...?
If you're just swapping a phone that's been activated on one line to another, it shouldn't affect anything. I'm sure other people have actually done this, but I'm pretty sure it's just a case of putting the SIM attached to your unlimited line into the phone. If you're really worried, you can certainly just cut your current SIM down to nano size.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The other thing you can do, is once you get the iPhone, let it activate, and then put the dumbphone back on that line.

Then take out the SIM, from the new iPhone and wait 24 hours. After that, it cycles over in Verizon's system and becomes reusable.

Go online, visit the page on your Verizon account where you activate a phone. Pick your line. Enter the IMEI of your iPhone. Then enter the SIM number off the nano-SIM that shipped with the iPhone. Put it in the iPhone. Enjoy your iPhone with unlimited data.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, cutting down my old sim sounds like the logical thing to do.
I was just wondering if there was anything special that would need be done with a "fresh" unused sim picked up at the V store.

kitten smoothie posted:

The other thing you can do, is once you get the iPhone, let it activate, and then put the dumbphone back on that line.

Then take out the SIM, from the new iPhone and wait 24 hours. After that, it cycles over in Verizon's system and becomes reusable.

Go online, visit the page on your Verizon account where you activate a phone. Pick your line. Enter the IMEI of your iPhone. Then enter the SIM number off the nano-SIM that shipped with the iPhone. Put it in the iPhone. Enjoy your iPhone with unlimited data.

Would it be better to use an unused sim rather than the one that was used on the other line?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

The clueless people at our local walmart told me that using them to upgrade any of the lines would cause the unlimited to go away.
The people at the local verizon store (not corporate) said that moving the upgrade from my unlimited line to another would kill the unlimited.

Well, I know you could do it safely up until very recently. I'm just worried this recent glitch will lead them to tightening up and closing any loopholes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Would it be better to use an unused sim rather than the one that was used on the other line?
If that process works, it shouldn't make any difference at all. May as well just use the one that comes with the phone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The upgrade swap loophole hasn't been closed and won't be closed unless they stop allowing you to provide your own device or completely redesign eROES and Iconic.

• Locked thread