Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Grim Up North posted:

Backed it too. I didn't get in on the Doobie goonrush, but this cat is just too cute. It reminds me of my late cat, actually. :unsmith:

The Doobie rush is still going on. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Depressing Drawers posted:

Have you ever dreamed of owning your own Hot Dog Stand? Need an accurate simulation of this exciting trade on your windows 8 device?

THEN SEARCH NO LONGER MY FRIENDS!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/786263000/hot-dog-stand?ref=search

Give $100 and you get a book of all the artwork. Even if the artwork wasn't as terrible as this picture, you'd just be getting a book full of excellent hot dog drawings.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Not a Doctor Who Ripoff, Really

How does this guy not get sued, especially with the iconic telephone box?

He was funded for Season 1 and some kind of prequel, but both were for small amounts of money ($25K and $12K respectively.) Now he wants $125K.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

Not a Doctor Who Ripoff, Really

How does this guy not get sued, especially with the iconic telephone box?

He was funded for Season 1 and some kind of prequel, but both were for small amounts of money ($25K and $12K respectively.) Now he wants $125K.

It's a joke from Community, so it's covered under satire probably.

It's still not good, though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Oh my god Robert Picardo have all my money.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Depressing Drawers posted:

Have you ever dreamed of owning your own Hot Dog Stand? Need an accurate simulation of this exciting trade on your windows 8 device?

THEN SEARCH NO LONGER MY FRIENDS!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/786263000/hot-dog-stand?ref=search

This is even a blatant ripoff of Lemonade Stand, a game which has been out for 40 years and played by most everyone who owned an Apple II. How much money does he need to take the freely available source code and do a search and replace of "lemonade" for "hot dog"?

Nipponophile has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Sep 27, 2013

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

It's a joke from Community, so it's covered under satire probably.

It's still not good, though.
Although it's stealing someone else's parody, so it becomes flat out theft of that?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

keithy george posted:

Although it's stealing someone else's parody, so it becomes flat out theft of that?

The folks behind Community are generally wryly amused by all the weird fan videos the show inspires, not sure if NBC/Universal approves or even cares at this point.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Anoia posted:

The folks behind Community are generally wryly amused by all the weird fan videos the show inspires, not sure if NBC/Universal approves or even cares at this point.

That's part of why it's not called Inspector Spacetime and instead has that absurd long name is to poke fun that they were told not to use the name. Also, it's in a strange spot as a fan show because the in show clips of Inspector Spacetime starred the same guy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Anoia posted:

They actually disowned the guy because he tried to capitalize off of it behind their back. That's why he isn't in season 3 of Community at all, despite having an entire episode based around a Dr. Spacetime convention.

A while back he originally tried to crowdsourse an Inspector Spacetime webseries and he got C&D'd, that's why he doesn't use the name anymore.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I discovered one of the free glitch art generators on the internet and I need $550.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1234953675/memories-corrupt-a-glitch-photography-art-exhibit?ref=recommended

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

I love that it ends with the monkey. Poor Yorick, I knew him well.

Also I spent a few minutes playing with that glitch 'art' maker and felt like someone needed to give me 600 bucks.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Atlas Shrugged Part III got a significant bump. Not idea where the backers came from.

BiggerJ has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Sep 28, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BiggerJ posted:

Atlas Shrugged Part III got a significant bump. Not idea where the backers came from.

I imagine they already had investors to begin with, hell that's how part 1 and 2 came about. They were probably like "hey let's sucker some more people into it while we can"

Granted the other movies were in the millions budget wise but that just makes a 100k here and there even easier. I mean sure maybe there's some objectivist millionaire surfing Kickstarter somewhere out there but I figure the other situation is more plausible

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

ThaShaneTrain posted:

"Our Story:

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. I’m a great place for you to tell a story and let your users know a little more about you."

It brings up so many emotions

I didn't even know that there was anything underneath that big black thing.

EDIT: Okay, I thought this shite stock layout looked familiar. This is some wix theme. When you mouseover the social media links, it says wix.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Sep 28, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

Not surprised. Its niche is FYGM rich jerks.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
To be fair, they're not all rich.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
It's been done.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

A libertarian and his money....

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

To be fair, they're not all rich.

Sorry, FYGM rich jerks and non-rich captains of the industry held back by the evil gubmint

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

a medical mystery posted:

Sorry, FYGM rich jerks and non-rich captains of the industry held back by the evil gubmint

Captains of industry who inherited nearly 1000 acres of southern Minnesota farmland (given to their ancestors for free) and even with this multi-million $ gift, have difficulty competing with Cargill, et. al. and receive major government crop subsidies and other incentives to set acreage aside (to avoid oversupply). Clearly every problem they have is because of those damned Mexicans who work at the chicken factory and have the nerve to send their kids to school. IF ONLY we lived in an objectivist utopia, then their already ridiculously cushy lives would somehow be even better. I suppose a new truck every TWO years instead of dealing with it for THREE (because of Obama) and an 80" TV instead of the 72" one they have to currently endure.

I can't wait for my Christmas present from dear brother-in-law: Atlas Shrugged II (to match pt. 1) and I suppose a KS certificate for delivery of pt. 3....

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JDM3 posted:

I can't wait for my Christmas present from dear brother-in-law: Atlas Shrugged II (to match pt. 1) and I suppose a KS certificate for delivery of pt. 3....

Getting Atlas Shrugged as a gift? Something ironic about that.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

WickedHate posted:

Getting Atlas Shrugged as a gift? Something ironic about that.

Oh, I definitely pay, I pay BIG TIME.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
"Please fund my Science Fiction book because traditional publishers don't want new talent!"

passage posted:

The Eternal Empire, ruled over by Emperor Grallax, leader of House Obsidian, and the second oldest dragon in the galaxy, stands ready to face their ancient foe [...]

Somehow you need a graphics tablet to make pixel art? When did that happen?

Also, he uses the 'word' "uniquity".

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Sep 30, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Clearly science fiction is not ready for the innovation of SPACE DRAGONS :chord:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Is Taygon trying to get published again? I thought he moved on to chakats now.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I wish I knew what project led to this update to Kickstarter's guidelines:

quote:

-Projects cannot offer genetically modified organisms as a reward. (Updated 7/31/2013)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Great Rumbler posted:

I wish I knew what project led to this update to Kickstarter's guidelines:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonyevans/glowing-plants-natural-lighting-with-no-electricit

No idea how it panned out though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Is Taygon trying to get published again? I thought he moved on to chakats now.

Goddamn, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that when "immortal space dragon emperor sci-fi novel" got mentioned.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

This has to be one those too good to be true things. I only saw people comment about the t-shirts, has anyone followed this?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm enjoying all the typos.

quote:

Once the initial print run of copies are printed and ready to be shipped, the scheduling of the Book Release Party is the biggest hurtle.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

"move or cause to move at a great speed, typically in a wildly uncontrolled manner."

Sounds about right.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

I was pretty annoyed when I heard this. I know there's legal reasons but there's already so much anti-GMO hysteria and regulation that this just removed another avenue for research.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

I guess I don't get why he needs 5k dollars. If the book is 90% finished, can't he just finish it put it up on Amazon? Maybe even release an abridged version for free?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Count Chocula posted:

I was pretty annoyed when I heard this. I know there's legal reasons but there's already so much anti-GMO hysteria and regulation that this just removed another avenue for research.

I'm all for GMO research (I've used basic GM techniques in my own work, though just as an intermediate step and nothing that was intended to produce a new variety of organism that would exist beyond the scope of the work), but I actually support kickstarter's desire to distance themselves from it. Not because GM research in general is wrong, not at all, but because I'm not sure biological research is appropriate for the platform. I'd love to see a research-oriented crowdfunding site where scientists who have been having trouble getting grants ask for money to get difficult projects off the ground, but offering the products of that research as a reward kinda strikes me as inappropriate. Also I think GM research belongs in a controlled environment with proper checks, balances and protocols, and a kickstarted project probably can't be vetted to make sure is has everything in place before it goes live.

Honestly it would have been wiser for Kickstarter to distance themselves further and ban all live biological matter from being rewards, with the exception of plant seeds from existing varieties (including heirloom). Even conventional plant breeding is far from an exact science, and promising that you will create a new variety and give it as a reward is not something you can be sure you'll fulfill even without it being a GMO. Plus I seem to recall a few projects that proposed live animal rewards (I can't remember specifics so I might be wrong on this), and that one that involved a toy where the recipient would be mutilating cockroaches (something that an actual researcher would have to go through a fair bit of ethics red tape to be allowed to do) to make it work.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Sep 30, 2013

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

This has to be one those too good to be true things. I only saw people comment about the t-shirts, has anyone followed this?

I backed that one and it seems legit. The shirts are going out now I guess, but the glow-in-the-dark plant seeds have a delivery date of June 2014. They've been posting exciting updates like a DNA unboxing video. A couple days ago they uploaded a video of their gene gun in action (nearly as exciting as the unboxing) so I guess they're making progress.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

I guess I don't get why he needs 5k dollars. If the book is 90% finished, can't he just finish it put it up on Amazon? Maybe even release an abridged version for free?

No, you see, putting it up on Amazon is self-publishing, which means you're not a real writer. The 5k is clearly so he can pay the distribution costs to a production house that is definitely not a vanity press. It even says on their site that they're not!

At least, that's my guess, and why a friend of a friend's wife did an IGG campaign to "publish a book."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

GreenMetalSun posted:

Sometimes people want to hire an editor and a cover designer.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Protip: If you're trying to make a Mass Effect knockoff don't advertise having one of Bioware's most reviled ex-writers as a stretch goal. They cleaned up the comments but after they announced Jennifer "Gigglesquee" Hepler was joining their team they were buried in people withdrawing their funding explicitly because of how much ill-will she has among the very audience they were targeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Oh man it's true.

quote:

About Jennifer Brandes Hepler

Jennifer Brandes Hepler has been a professional game writer since she began writing for "Shadowrun" at 19 years old, contributing to numerous supplements and co-authoring the well-received “Cyberpirates.” After a brief stint in Hollywood on the CBS television show “The Agency,” Jennifer began writing for Bioware, serving in a senior creative role on both the "Dragon Age" and "Star Wars: The Old Republic" franchises. Known, respectively, for her development of the dwarven culture in “Dragon Age: Origins,” the Smuggler in "Star Wars: The Old Republic," and for blowing up the Chantry and leading the mage rebellion in “Dragon Age II,” Jennifer has most recently served as senior writer on “Dragon Age: Inquisition.” Despite having been the unfortunate target of a highly public internet harassment campaign, she is looking forward to helping to launch a new generation of RPGs.

I thought she quit videogames to become a novelist.