Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I thought Slender only preyed upon manchildren. I've always liked the Jabberwock they had on an episode of the Muppet Show; it was quite similar to the original drawing, coloured an unwholesome green and with bared buck teeth that almost gave me nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCJFFxoHJ4

Hell yes. I always thought its head looked like a grasshopper's.

The Reaper Bones version of the Jabberwock is pretty good: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/jabberwock/latest/89016

It's got the same buckteeth. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bieeardo posted:

I thought Slender only preyed upon manchildren. I've always liked the Jabberwock they had on an episode of the Muppet Show; it was quite similar to the original drawing, coloured an unwholesome green and with bared buck teeth that almost gave me nightmares.

Originally the "legend of slenderman" (see trolling paranormal forums) had him targeting children specifically.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This makes me want to get into wargaming.

It looks interesting, but I know nothing about the company in terms of the quality of their games and their miniatures.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

radlum posted:

It looks interesting, but I know nothing about the company in terms of the quality of their games and their miniatures.

Can't speak to their games, but their miniatures are pretty awesome. I picked up a few last time they held a Kickstarter. I plan to use 'em for my assorted elfgames.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

thiswayliesmadness posted:

People will throw Slenderman into almost anything won't they?

Slenderman is also copyrighted by the guy who posted the original photoshop image and text description on these forums. Films about Slender Man have been removed from Youtube and at least one game was kept off of Steam for a while because of this.

Of course, copyright is a complex issue and there are ways around it by making the character suitably different than the original version but it still risks a lawsuit from the copyright holder.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/slender-man#film

http://theslenderman.wikia.com/wiki/Victor_Surge

http://kotaku.com/5960579/valve-blocks-slenderman-indie-game-from-steam-due-to-copyright-concerns

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
A lot of people assume that because it was made on the internet, it's free game. Hopefully, the makers of the fairytale game cleared it with the creator.

We have a lot of that happen with the SCP Foundation. We run it under a Creative Commons License. It's actually legal for anyone to make their own SCP merchandise, but they have to publish it under the same CC license and link back to the source material. Works okay for fanworks, less so when you're trying to sell a product, since anyone can legally distribute it themselves. We explain this on our website, but you still get people thinking that it's internet-made, so it must be okay to make their own stuff.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Originally the "legend of slenderman" (see trolling paranormal forums) had him targeting children specifically.

Ah! Colour me corrected. I only glanced at his origins before he rose to meme-hood, but I vaguely remember that now.

JackMann posted:

A lot of people assume that because it was made on the internet, it's free game.

I found this a lot more understandable twenty years ago, when most of the public Web was unformatted text and FTP directories of sexy fantasy scans, and everyone poached rotatingskull.gif from everyone else. Now, (at least) a decade into heavy commercialization and copyright awareness, it feels like entitled twits willfully sticking it to individual creators because they can be harassed into submission.

Creative Commons is neat. I don't understand much of it on the legalese level, or how well it might stand up if actually pushed really hard, but I like the intent behind it.

Unrelated, that Bones jabberwock is gorgeous.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd love to see a Jabberwock with the vest and socks of the original:

Something about it wearing clothes makes it scarier. Here's hoping in Bones II!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

JackMann posted:

Can't speak to their games, but their miniatures are pretty awesome. I picked up a few last time they held a Kickstarter. I plan to use 'em for my assorted elfgames.

Maybe I should have said "makes me want to get into miniatures" instead, because yeah, they're really cool.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

I'd love to see a Jabberwock with the vest and socks of the original:

Something about it wearing clothes makes it scarier. Here's hoping in Bones II!
:wth: I never realized the Jabberwock was wearing a vest. That is completely bizarre.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Leperflesh posted:

The Reaper Bones version of the Jabberwock is pretty good: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/jabberwock/latest/89016

It's got the same buckteeth. :3:

It's based off the Pathfinder version of the creature.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Indeed, it's a licensed Pathfinder mini.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheFlyingNightBear posted:

Apologies for the miscommunication there: we have stayed firmly away from any themes of sexual assault in this game. We could possibly introduce some in a very thoughtful context that took into account the weight of that theme, but would of course label it with clear trigger warnings. (The goblin reproduction we mention actually refers to a nasty little blood ritual -- suitably dark and unique to our setting, but it sticks to good ol' fashioned ritualistic themes.)

I do want to say, though -- thank you for bringing that up! Not just because it's good to be checked on this front, but because it makes us REALLY happy to see awareness of sexual assault and rape culture becoming more prevalent in the gaming community. We still have a ways to go in terms of not objectifying/sexualizing women, of course, but it's so good to see that the RPG community is making steps. :-)
I just wanted to applaud this. So good to see. If there's ever a more reasonable pledge level, I'll back it in a jiffy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My Stonehaven Gnomes showed up today, since I got the completionist set + the troll from the dwarves set. They seem totally rad, I'll post pictures when I'm out of class.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Yeah, or if you want a mini, the Reaper one from their Pathfinder line is much more Jabberwocky. Freaky kinked neck, giant claws, buckteeth and all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Stonehaven Gnome Trip Report:

They all shipped in little rolls, each different group of gnomes to a roll.

McKrakken's Glory Squad, Heroes of Sproketshire and Knobstreet Security Services:

Forkstrom & Crab Inc, Lord Regional's Retinue and all the completionist package stuff

Here are the two trolls, I think they look wonderful:

It was really hard to get detailed shots because I only have an iPhone and the gnomes are in scale to fantasy gnome size, so they're tiny as hell. Here are the thief and the wizard:

Honestly though if you want to know what the minis look like just go look at the art on the kickstarter page. I'm constantly impressed with how they get the minis to look exactly like the art, both with this set and the dwarves.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
My copy of the Mutants & Masterminds 10th Anniversary Edition arrived today... well, yesterday, technically, but less than 24 hours ago. It's a pretty solid hardcover, and adds the bonus adventures and old META-4 and Freedom City villains in the back. Pretty glad to finally have it, I was fretting a little. :ohdear:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I know I've seen Dragon Kings mentioned in some TG thread or another, so you might be interested in their kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1084491323/dragon-kings/?ref=kicktraq

However, they've made some... odd... decisions. Every pledge involves getting their concept album one way or another and a gazetteer that focuses on each song and how it connects to the world. If you want the actual world book and/or rules for Pathfinder or Savage Worlds, be prepared to shell out $70 for PDFs. No way to get the world book or one of the rules supplements separately, or separate anything from the music if you're really only interested in rules. It looks like it's doing fine anyway- being a spiritual successor to Dark Sun made by a co-creator is bound to bring a lot of people in- but I can't help but think their pledge levels are going to hurt them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you want the hardcopy, it's $95. :psyduck:

Seriously, though, this is setting off alarm bells to me. It's supposed to be funding an RPG, but they seem to be focused more on the CD than the "core product", with posters and dice and god knows what else they're going to tag on as stretch goals.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Evil Mastermind posted:

Seriously, though, this is setting off alarm bells to me. It's supposed to be funding an RPG, but they seem to be focused more on the CD than the "core product", with posters and dice and god knows what else they're going to tag on as stretch goals.

I actually just looked at the stretch goals. They're mostly more songs or pdf adventures/rules supplements, so not entirely unreasonable. There are a couple of miniatures goals which seem out of place in a Kickstarter meant to get an RPG off the ground.

One of the early stretch goals is 13th Age support, which reminds me where I'd heard of this project in the first place. Now I'm more sad about how messed up the reward tiers are :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alien Rope Burn posted:

My copy of the Mutants & Masterminds 10th Anniversary Edition arrived today... well, yesterday, technically, but less than 24 hours ago. It's a pretty solid hardcover, and adds the bonus adventures and old META-4 and Freedom City villains in the back. Pretty glad to finally have it, I was fretting a little. :ohdear:

Good to see some of them finding their way home. Been pretty happy so far with my Kickstarters. The only one I'm fretting about is "Up Front!" and at this point I'm giving it at best a 50/50. Everything else has mostly shown up (on time even!)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Man I was really hyped for Dragon Kings but there's just no way I'd pay that much for a hardcover. Maybe if I see it at my LGS.

For price checking, that much kickstarter money could also buy an entire platoon of 28mm Finnish soldiers with generous supporting units.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The pitch video for Dragon Kings just seems---odd. I understand leveraging that one track given the whole "universe on 3 fronts" deal, but it is quite jarring to me to have that playing over entirely unrelated imagery and concept art. I know they want that variety of art to help the scope in general for the entire lot of it, but maybe less could've been more at least in the case of how the video played out. I would've also thought somehow getting Brom on the video, alongside the other team members, would help to stoke the embers a bit alongside maybe not doing that odd off-angle segment right in the middle for no apparent reason...

They definitely need to get the entry price down for prospective folks though, the whole combo-centric nature of this versus other ventures probably complicates that---I still give them fair odds for having the sense to not go nuts with physical stretch goals and whatnot and instead stick to digital if things go well.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I was rather excited to check out Dragon Kings when I woke up this morning. After looking at it, that excitement has completely evaporated.

This is a Kickstarter for an album first and an RPG supplement second the way it is presented. It's in the reverse order of what excited me about it in the first place. Sure, the music integration with the game is a cool idea and I get the guy's passion for it, but I could take it or leave it.

At $135 for the hardcover shipped to Australia, he has both priced me right out of it and made Primeval Thule look like bargain bin pricing in one go. The new Reaper Bones Kickstarter might end up seeing some of the fun-money I set aside for this instead.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, Lords of Gossamer and Shadow actually got their PDF out (roughly) when they said they would, that's another mark in the successful column. Hopefully the print copies will be nice, as the art looks fairly good.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Got my Stonehaven gnomes today and jeepers, that troll is way bigger than I was expecting. I was thinking of something about the size of the Bones minotaur, but it's bigger than the Bones giants.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Due to the vagaries of shipping costs, it's actually a tiny bit cheaper for me to get a 3D printer off kickstarter now than it is for me to get Dragon Kings. That's nuts.

(Here's what I mean, not really TG related.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bones II Kickstarter in 14 hours and 20 minutes from this post.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Due to the vagaries of shipping costs, it's actually a tiny bit cheaper for me to get a 3D printer off kickstarter now than it is for me to get Dragon Kings. That's nuts.

(Here's what I mean, not really TG related.)

I want to support Doc, but there are so many misplays in the way this kickstarter is set up. I was expecting a "this is our badass world, this music makes us think of it." Didn't expect something so focused on the progrock cd. Also no all digital option anywhere that I see.

I was really looking forward to it too.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Has anyone received their Hillfolk books yet? I kind of expected it a week or two after Gencon.. not October.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

AND GOT 160.

Peas and Rice posted:

Has anyone received their Hillfolk books yet? I kind of expected it a week or two after Gencon.. not October.

I just looked because I was curious myself.

Hillfolk KS posted:

"We’ll be shipping out US backers rewards before the end of the month, with the exception of the ultra-limited editions, and the rest of the world in October. The latter has taken a lot longer that we would have liked due to a printer error which meant our books were shipped out on a 45-day rather than a 15-day service. We are sorry for the delay, but the books do look splendid and, we hope, worth the wait."

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I backed for the physical copy of Dragon Kings. I'm cool with the price, these guys have a shitton of expenses to cover if this makes it to production.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's $75 for the hardcopies. I know that's not much better, but still. I'm pledging because I was a Brom-loving teenager in the '90s.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

AND GOT 160.

Dragonshirt posted:

It's $75 for the hardcopies. I know that's not much better, but still. I'm pledging because I was a Brom-loving teenager in the '90s.

Its 75 for the world book in hard cover, and the Gazeteer in paperback. And it looks like you don't get access to stretch goals?

And apparently there is a digital option that is 70 dollars for all digital but you get stretch goals?

I think I might have to give this a pass unless they get more reasonable tiers. A set of tiers not leveraged on the progrock album being included in the price at all would be nice to see for example.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Eh, I don't really care much about the stretch goals. I just want a print world book and the Pathfinder supplement. I can see how it kind of shits on people who want it for one of the systems in the stretch goals, though.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Got my Torchbearer book. It looks exactly like a long-lost 1st edition AD&D sourcebook. Except, you know, with cool indie narrativist rules.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Dragon Kings is supposedly working on alternate tiers. I have seen it mentioned in various spots, including the KS comments in particular. What those tiers will look like we don't know yet, but the creator seems to have heard that people want different options that don't require paying for the music to back the project.

I went from excited to hardly excited to somewhat hopeful in regard to that project all in the course of the day.

Lords of Gossamer & Shadow PDF looks spiffy but I have only skimmed over parts of it, mostly looking for art to be mesmerized by.

I am waiting for my Torchbearer book with great hope, but since I managed to sneak into the stamped copy tier I expect I will have to wait a bit longer, unless those have been sent out also.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Dragonshirt posted:

I'm too much of a Dark Sun fan to let this one pass by. I want all the stuff without any more clutter, so the digital tier works out great. Shame it's $70 but this one I made an exception for. And after a day they are about halfway funded.

Cheneybeast
Dec 19, 2012

Hey folks!

The Stab City! kickstarter ends in five days. I've hit my funding goal, and I'm happy to say that Stab City! will become a weird, violent reality early in 2014. It's not to late to get involved in the Kickstarter, and all money raised gets rolled into the production value of the book. The Kickstarter offers the book at a reduced price, and comes with a Nikolai Cage character class to allow you to reenact your favorite scenes from The Rock. If you've ever wanted to play an RPG that recreates the experience of Metal Gear Solid, while on acid, this is probably your only chance.

Click me I am a link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dem Bones II hit the $30k goal inside of 2 minutes and hasn't stopped yet :stonklol:

Unless they open some more tiers it's also got a hard cap of 4000 major backers and 500 bits and pieces backers, I know a lot of goons were waiting for this so they'd better get in quick, 700 spots gone already

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 1, 2013

• Locked thread